Stesha gave the driver her address, then leaned back in the seat and smoothed her skirt over her knees. They made small talk on the way to her apartment, but it wasn't quite the same with someone else listening in. Part of the enjoyment of talking to him was in not having to keep secrets, or at least not the big secret of who she was and what she did. The trip was only a mile or so and didn't take very long at this hour, even on a Friday night. "Up here on the left," she indicated, "the apartment building with the flowerbeds in front."

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The ride was short, and not nearly as pleasant as the rest of the evening though it was still alright. When the cab pulled over, he paid the man and exited, only stumbling a little. He held the door and offered his hand to Stesha with an awkward little smile. He helped her out and started a slow walk to her door as the cab drove off.

"I wanted to say that you were great. Er, it was really nice...I had a really good time. Thank you." He paused, a stumble of the brain, trying rally his thoughts, as he tried to get out what he really wanted to say. But he was more than a little nervous and awkward. "Perhaps, if you're interested of course, but no pressure or obligation, I'm sure you've got a busy schedule and all, so whenever you have time really, I'll adjust to whatever, but, ah...." Shut up and breath you putz. Just asking a girl out again. Well, for the first time. This should NOT be harder than the stuff I do daily! She's gonna think I'm an idiot; clear conversation one minute, moronic babble the next. Can I only speak clearly when talking about being Dark Star? Even my brain is disjointed and idiotic all of a sudden. Man, I hope Scarab's not listening in right now...Geez...wait...really should say something since it's been a bit longer than normal silence. SAY IT! Something! He took a breath. "Would it be alright if I called you? I mean, would you like to go out again? With me. On a date." Please, someone shoot me now.

Stesha nibbled on the inside of her lower lip as he stumbled over his words, knowing it would be desperately uncharitable to laugh when he was suddenly so nervous anyway. But it was really sort of adorably cute, knowing everything he'd done, that he was having such a hard time of it. She gave his hand a supportive little squeeze as he finished. "I'd really like that," she told him with a smile. "I had a great time tonight, and I'd like to do it again." She opened her little purse and got into her billfold, fishing out the business card she kept in there. "Here's my number, so you don't have to get it from Moira."

Derrick took the card, letting their hands remain in contact for a little longer than necessary. He felt like his was a teenager or something; ridiculously awkward. But not having been on a date for over twenty years, and he wasn't exactly a skilled socialite before that either, was leaving his confidence about this on shaky ground. Very very shaky. He walked her up the steps to her door, letting her get her keys out to unlock it.

"I'll call you in day or so then? Perhaps next time we'll do something less dressed up. I mean less formal. I didn't mean with less clothes. I wouldn't want you to think I was just trying to...you know... Not that your aren't extremely beautiful and desirable. Because you are. Very much so. Not that I was think of you doing... I meant... Err ...us doing something more relaxed and personal. But not too personal! I mean... " SHUT UP YOU IDIOT! He took a breath, trying to salvage what was left of his shattered image and dignity. "Anything you'd like to do would be great," he said quietly. He just knew that she thought he was a complete idiot, and space case. Well, he was from space...Still, he summoned his courage, leaned forward to give her a simple and light kiss to end the evening.

Stesha couldn't help but laugh this time, it was impossible not to. He just looked so awkward and horrified by himself, by turns. She could empathize with the feeling from her own life. And besides, he was cute doing it. "No sex on the second date, but something fun," she summarized, her eyes sparkling. "Sounds good." She leaned in as well, the kiss a simple, light brush that left a nice tingle on her lips. "Give me a call anytime," she told him, reaching for the door. "I had a lovely evening, Derrick. I'm glad we got set up."

He was at tad embarrassed. Just a tad. Quite red. But he couldn't help but laugh as well; he was ridiculous, he knew it. And her laughter was infectious. Though he blinked at her words. Not on the second. Did that mean the third? Oh boy...was that too sudden? Yeesh, life was complicated...

But he let the torrent of thoughts and nervousness slide to the side as their lips brushed. He pulled back with a smile. "Me too. Me too." He waited for her to enter, a gentleman (a somewhat geeky and awkward gentleman, but still) to the end of the date.

Once the door was closed, he walked down the steps and slowly down the block in a random direction. He didn't want to change near her door in case someone was watching on the very off chance. He kept watch and when passing one of the trees a block, he let the energy inside him out. The blackness quickly enshrouded him, melting Derrick away until all that was left was the featureless energy form. With a grin a mile wide on the inside, he shot straight up. Tonight was a great night.

Far below, Stesha let herself into her apartment and dropped her purse on the table, then took a moment to bask. That had gone better than she'd hoped it would. Maybe it wasn't movie-caliber love at first sight, but you'd be a fool to trust that when you were dealing with metahumans. There was definitely a nice warm spark there, and she could still feel the tingle on her lips from his. It was a very good start, she decided. As she stripped off her dress and pulled on pajamas, she let out an exuberant burst of energy that had all the plants growing at once. It had been a very good night.