On Holy Ground

MBCE

"What, you're telling me you're gonna pass all this up?" the battered and bleeding demon replied. "Not even gonna take one handful of coinage, one pocket full of jewelry? It's right here, yours for the taking!"

I'd not mind having some of that myself. Can't quite tell from here, but some of those would look very nice in my shoppe. And better in my private collection.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Exactly. Besides, I really am not interested in gold. Too easy to get your hand on."

Ghost looks at Belphegor and frowns. "Don't let that stuff tempt you now. WE can always come back and pick it up after we're in prime shape. Not like it's going to move very far."

Dammit, I'm in no shape to argue the point... and I do want to get away from that chain-thing.

"Very well, let us go."

The way back up and out was free of trouble. Kapetelis was still unconscious in the elevator, but the damage the elevator had taken rendered it inoperable. After some searching the duo found stairs going up behind a secret panel, and they were back on the ground floor.

"I believe it would be in our best interest to confiscate or destroy the surveillance footage of us coming in," the demon said as they passed the security office. "Assuming the footage is kept here, and not some off-site location."

"Well, you're right about that. It wouldn't do us much good if there was footage of you busting up the joint." Ghost smiled as he leaned Belphegor against the wall.

He quickly moved back into the security room and began checking over the system trying to find how they stored their information. The Ghost knew that a place of this magnitude would definitely keep their security in house as opposed to an outside source. That way they could hide and set up all those wonderful goodies without the need for information leaking out.

Ghost finds he is able to disable to security system with surprising ease, and he is able to not only erase all recordings of their activities but also reset the alarms that had notified the police and shut down the security systems so they can leave without being recorded on the way out. Lady Luck was shining down on him once more!

The two made their way back to the car they'd arrived in without incident. Once there, the demon concentrated a moment and shrank down to its human form, scales sloughing off and bones audibly snapping and popping out and back in to place. Judging by the look on his face, Ghost guessed he was experiencing a great deal of pain, though whether it was due to the strain of the transformation, the numerous injuries he's received, or both, he could not tell.

A completely naked -- and very battered and bloody -- Jos Terhune now stood before Ghost. He opened the driver side door (which Ghost realized was unlocked) and retrieved the car's keys from the cupholder, then unlocked the trunk and retrieved a duffel bag which held a change of clothes, and slowly got dressed.

Ghost lifted an eyebrow in surprise. "Now that's what I call be prepared. A second set of clothes in the trunk. Aren't worried that someone might take off with your car?"

Ghost took a moment to take in the vehicle and smiled. "Naw, on second thought, no chance of that happening."

Ghost got into the car and waited for the demon to finish dressing. Once he had entered the car, Ghost spoke quickly. "The only thing we have to do now is figure out how to get this coin to them. I suspect we're still under observation and now that we're beyond the protected grounds, we should be hearing from our mysterious employer any time now. We hand over the item and then go our separate ways."

Ghost looked out the window and sighed. "Might as well head back to my place. At least she knows where that is."

'I'll probably have to move now. Too many people know where I put my head down. That's not really helpful.'

I don't think I've ever been in so much pain!

"It's a rental," Jos replied as he started the car up, "made under a faked name, and nothing in the car can trace it back to me. and I chose this older model and color specifically because it is so innocuous looking."

He began driving back to Ghost's apartment, "she may have been watching us all this time, but I doubt it; if I was Kapetelis, I know I would have placed anti-scrying wards around the house. But you are right, she does know she can contact us at your place."

They eventually made it to Ghost's apartment, and once inside Jos flopped down on the couch.

The Ghost looked at Belphegor, letting the man rest. He moved into his back room and brought out the first aid kit. He placed it on the table. If he needed it, it'll be close. Ghost just didn't understand how the demon healed or recovered from such damage. It would be interesting to see though.

Not having anything to do, Ghost turned on the TV and flipped on the channels, waiting to get some kind of a sign from their employer. Unfortunately, there was nothing on and he soon fell asleep.

The sound of the doorbell awoke ghost from his sleep. He looked up at the clock and saw that it had been two hours since they had gotten back to his home. He glanced over at the couch and saw Belphegor, or was it Jos now, asleep. The doorbell rang again and Ghost moved to the door.

'Who could this be?'

Ghost opened the door to reveal a woman wearing a long hooded coat. She stepped into the room without waiting for an invitation. Ghost blinked in surprise ready to tell her to leave when he felt her presence. It was the employer.

She walked passed the couch and her passage was enough to awake Jos from his sleep. She sat in the love chair that Ghost was sleeping in before removing her hood.

"I see you both survived after all. And you're fast. Hmm, you're better than I gave you credit." she said softly eying both men.

Ghost closed the door and moved in to the room. He pushed Jos over so that he could sit down on the couch as well.

"Well, where is it? Where is the coin."

Ghost frowned but dug out the coin in his pocket. "Here it is."

He made a move to flip it to the woman but she held up her hand quickly to forestall the action.

"Don't throw it. It is very precious," she said as she walked forward to take the coin.

Ghost shrugged his shoulders and looked at Belphegor trying to see how he took the action. Ghost kept the coin in his hand, waiting to see if Belphegor wanted to say something before handing it over.

• 3 weeks later...

"Sssooo...," Jos murmured from the couch, "we clear now?"

We'd better be, after all we-

"Si, demone," she said as she took the coin, "you are free from our services. Both of you."

Ghost and Belphegor both felt a momentary dizziness, then a lightness, as if an invisible weight had been lifted from their shoulders.

"You may be called upon again, of course," she added as she moved to the door, "since you've both proven to be... well, successful as assigned tasks. And, we know where you live, so it will be easy to find you."

She opened the door, and was halfway out before pausing again. "Oh, and if I were you, I would try not to get too badly injured -- if a Charon Ambulance comes for you, you probably won't be taken to a hospital. Oh, and watch those open flames," she looked more towards Jos now, "since Kapetelis is good friends with fire chief DuMar."

And then the door closed, and Jos and Ghost were in Ghost's apartment alone.

$#!+

"Ummm... so, I guess I'll be going soon." Jos murmured.

"We have it, father: the Coin of Ziocles! It shall bring death to our enemies, and life to us!"

~fin~