Unspent PP: 0

Characters Name: Sentinel

Alternate Identity: Ethan Kendrick

Height: 5’ 10â€Â

Weight: 165

Hair: Brown

Eyes: Brown

Description:

Ethan Kendrick - Businessman and entrepreneur Ethan Kendrick is always seen in well tailored business suits. His brown hair is short like many of his conversations, although when engaged he can be quite informative and entertaining. Kendrick is known as a savvy investor and a knowledgeable businessman.

Sentinel – The sentinel is rarely seen during the daylight. He much prefers the anonymity of the night. The few people that do see him say he evokes images of gumshoes from long ago. Dressed in his topcoat and fedora, people rarely get a good glimpse at Sentinel’s face. If they could see under his hat, the would only be able to see his nose and mouth, for the rest of his head is covered by a dark form fitting material. It is rumoured that his entire body is covered by the same material. His topcoat seems to float and shimmer on it’s own, frequently surrounding him in what seems an almost impenetrable darkness. Most dangerous of all are the gloves underneath his topcoat. For when he uses them to punish villains or merely to trap them, there is a flash of blinding golden light and the smell of ozone in the air.

History:

Ethan saw the motion out of the corner of his eye and froze. He watched as a large man cautiously crept around the far corner of the building. Ethan smiled. Even if hadn’t seen the dark skin of man’s face in the moonlight, he would have recognized that build anywhere. Bluesman, was a large, powerfully built man. He wasn’t very tall, but he was stocky. Even so, his build was deceptive, because Bluesman was an uncommonly strong man.

Bluesman and Ethan paths’ had crossed before, and it looked like this might be another one of those occasions. As Bluesman came close by Ethan called quietly, “You know, we really have to stop meeting like this.†Bluesman crouched into a defensive posture with his right fist balled up to strike until Ethan sauntered out of the shadow of the building. “Sentinel!â€Â, Bluesman nearly shouted, “Jeez, I hate when you do that.†Then with a wry smile he relaxed and said quietly, “But I can’t say I am surprised to see you. I got a tip that there was some funny business going on at this shoe factory. What brings you here?†Ethan nodded with a conspiratorial look. “I tracked the money. There isn’t as much money going out of this company as there is going into it. Tens of Thousands of dollars are……missing.†Bluesman cocked his head almost imperceptibly and asked “The Invisible Empire?†“That’s what I am betting on.†replied Ethan. “Shall we?†inquired Ethan as he motioned with his left hand to the back door of the factory. Bluesman grinned and nodded.

Ethan walked quietly over to the back door, removed his leather gloves, and pulled two small metal rods out of his pocket. Ethan bent down to the door, while Bluesman eyes shifted up and down the alley. When Bluesman looked back at the door, Ethan was standing by it with his gloves back on, bowing to let Bluesman inside. Bluesman chuckled quietly and stepped inside. Ethan followed Bluesman inside, securely closed the door and fished a flashlight out of his pocket. “Where to?†asked Bluesman. “Follow me.†replied Ethan. Using the flashlight Ethan and Bluesman quickly guided themselves to the accounting office on the second floor.

Once inside, Ethan started rifling through the accounting files. Ethan pulled three files, sat down at the desk and started going through the files by flashlight. Bluesman impatiently paced by the door. “You know, I am more of an action type guy.†stated Bluesman. “Mmmhuh.†mumbled Ethan as he continued to rifle through file after file.

After about an hour, Ethan gave a low whistle. “Now we’re talking.†he excitedly exclaimed. There it was in black and white, well black and red pencil. Payments to foreign companies, payments to companies that appeared suspect, and payments to…… policeman and judiciary posts, including Lieutentent Grimwig. Ethan smiled, I finally got you he thought. This will give Paddy all the ammunition he needed to lock up Grimwig for a long time. And as one of the honest coppers on the force, Paddy deserved the chance. Ethan looked up to give Bluesman the good news, only to see an empty room. Bluesman must have slipped out while Ethan was immersed in his research. Ethan shrugged and started to carefully tear out the page of the accounting book he needed.

Ethan jumped when he heard gunshots, then he quickly finished tearing out the page, put the books back and cautiously opened the door. Sounds of fighting filtered up from somewhere below. Ethan looked onto the factory floor and couldn’t see anything. Evan quickly scampered down the stairs in the dark, then paused. Bluesman was pretty good at taking care of himself, Ethan had the information he needed, he could just leave now. Ethan shook his head, “That way of thinking won’t do.â€Âhe thought to himself. Quickly he followed the source of the sounds.

The sounds led to stairs going down into a basement. As Ethan hurried down the steps, he saw a closed door at the bottom of the steps. Just before Ethan reached the bottom of the steps, a man came crashing through the door and slammed into the steps. With a groan, he fell unconscious. Ethan quickly glanced at the man as he stepped over him into the threshold beyond. The man wasn’t Bluesman. Ethan wasn’t surprised. It took Ethan a second to take everything in. There were at least a handful of men unmoving at Bluesman’s feet. It looked like Bluesman’s shoulder was bleeding, but not badly. Bluesman warily shifted back and forth as he dodged blows from two men armed with crowbars.

Back in the shadows, Ethan saw a man wearing a hood and cloak pointing something at Bluesman’s back. Instinctively, Ethan shouted a warning and rushed forward pushing Bluesman out of the way. Ethan saw a blinding blue-white, felt the world spin and then fell unconscious.

When Ethan regained his senses he was still in Freedom City, but he wasn’t in the right time…….

Ethan Kendrick/Sentinel was a protector of the people in the early 1930’s when the people needed protecting and the justice system wasn’t always reliable. But now he finds himself in a new time, and even though it is the same place, it’s a very different place. But the people of this time need protecting also, and whenever people need protecting Sentinel will be there.

When Ethan Kendrick arrived in the current day, he found he was physically….. different. He assumes it had something to do with his metabolism changing during the time travel, but he isn’t really sure. Ethan now had the ability to move through walls. Granted it was slower than walking, but in his line of work, moving through walls could be quite handy.

As a bank accountant in the early 1930’s Evan made some shrewd investments. Ethan’s stocks in General Motors and Proctor&Gamble made it through the Great Depression. With all of the stock splits and automatically reinvested dividends (thanks to his law firm) Ethan owned a significant amount of stock. There were complications, but once his identify was confirmed Ethan was a wealthy man. Ethan took some sound advice, diversified his portfolio and following his interest in technology, started a technology company. His company is small, but technically very savvy. Two of their larger projects are creating RFID tag system for prisoners and creating an artificial intelligence database to record, track, and predict criminal activity. Secretly Ethan would be thrilled if his company could help create technology to capture criminals, and to that end Ethan is trying out some gadgets his Think Tank has come up with.

Personality & Motivation: Reserved & Protecting The Innocent (Justice)

Complications: Secret (Secret Identity)

Stats: 24 pp

Str: 12 (+1)

Dex: 14 (+2)

Con: 12 (+1)

Int: 16 (+3)

Wis: 14 (+2)

Cha: 16 (+3)

Combat: 14 pp

Attack: +3 (Ranged +5)

Grapple: +4

Defense: +4 (+2 flat-footed)

Knockback: 6 / Flat 3

Initiative: +6

Saves: 0 pp

Toughness: +6 (+1 Con, +5 Bodysuit-Impervious,Ablative) or +5

(+1 Con, +4 Bodysuit-Impervious,Ablative) in business suit

Fortitude: +1 (+1 Con, +0)

Reflex: +2 (+2 Dex, +0)

Will: +2 (+2 Wis, +0)

Skills: 48 r = 12 pp

Bluff 4 (+7)

Disable Device 6 (+9)

Escape Artist 4 (+6)

Investigate 6 (+9)

Knowledge (History - 20’s & 30’s) 6 (+9)

Knowledge (Technology) 4 (+7)

Notice 6 (+8)

Sense Motive 6 (+8)

Stealth 6 (+8)

Feats: 14 pp

Attack Focus (Ranged) 2

Sneak Attack 1

Quick Change

Benefit (Wealth) 5 (Rich)

Power Attack

Improved Initiative

Equipment 2

Cell Phone 1 Pt

Laptop 1 Pt

Briefcase (with false bottom) 6 Pts (probably less than 6)

Inside False Bottom (when not dressed as Sentinel):

Flashlight 1 Pt

Brass Knuckles 1 Pt

Device (Body suit – head only when dressed in business attire)

Device (Gloves)

Device (Trenchcoat)

Powers: 26pp

Super Movement 2 (Permeate – 1 / 2 Speed) [4pp]

Device(Bodysuit-Hard to Lose):

Protection 5 (Extra:Impervious Flaw:Ablative) [5pp]

(Ethan typically wears the body suit without the head covering under

his business suit – with the head covering off the suit is only

Protection 4 (Impervious, Ablative)

Device (Gloves-Hard to Lose): Blast 5 [10pp], Snare 5 [10pp] [20pp Total]

Device (Trenchcoat-Easy to Lose): Obscure 3 (Vision, Flaw: Limit – Evening

only) [2pp]

Drawbacks: 0 pp

DC Block:

ATTACKS: SAVE DC: DAMAGE TYPE:

Blast 5 20/Toughness Bruise (Non-Lethal)

Snare 5 15/Reflex Snared?

Brass Knuckles 18/Toughness Bruise (Non-Lethal)

Fist 16/Toughness Bruise (Non-Lethal)

Costs: Abilities (24) + Combat (14) + Saves (0) + Skills (12) + Feats (14) + Powers (26) - Drawbacks (00) = Total Cost (90)

Stats: 24 pp

Str: 12 (+1)

Dex: 14 (+2)

Con: 12 (+1)

Int: 16 (+3)

Wis: 14 (+2)

Cha: 16 (+3)

Adds up.

Combat: 14 pp

Attack: +3 (Ranged +5)

Grapple: +4

Defense: +4 (+2 flat-footed)

Knockback: 6 / Flat 3

Initiative: +6

Adds up.

Saves: 0 pp

Toughness: +6 (+1 Con, +5 Bodysuit-Impervious,Ablative) or +5

(+1 Con, +4 Bodysuit-Impervious,Ablative) in business suit

Fortitude: +1 (+1 Con, +0)

Reflex: +2 (+2 Dex, +0)

Will: +2 (+2 Wis, +0)

Adds up.

Skills: 48 r = 12 pp

Bluff 4 (+7)

Disable Device 6 (+9)

Escape Artist 4 (+6)

Investigate 6 (+9)

Knowledge (History - 20’s & 30’s) 6 (+9)

Knowledge (Technology) 4 (+7)

Notice 6 (+8)

Sense Motive 6 (+8)

Stealth 6 (+8)

Adds up. Though the history knowledge seems more like a Limited Enhanced Skill. Skills are supposed to be broad.

Feats: 14 pp

Attack Focus (Ranged) 2

Sneak Attack 1

Quick Change

Benefit (Wealth) 5 (Rich)

Power Attack

Improved Initiative

Equipment 2

Cell Phone 1 Pt

Laptop 1 Pt

Briefcase (with false bottom) 6 Pts (probably less than 6)

Inside False Bottom (when not dressed as Sentinel):

Flashlight 1 Pt

Brass Knuckles 1 Pt

Device (Body suit – head only when dressed in business attire)

Device (Gloves)

Device (Trenchcoat)

Devices need to be listed under Powers. May I ask how you came up with 6 ep on the briefcase?

Powers: 26pp

Super Movement 2 (Permeate – 1 / 2 Speed) [4pp]

Device(Bodysuit-Hard to Lose):

Protection 5 (Extra:Impervious Flaw:Ablative) [5pp]

(Ethan typically wears the body suit without the head covering under

his business suit – with the head covering off the suit is only

Protection 4 (Impervious, Ablative)

Device (Gloves-Hard to Lose): Blast 5 [10pp], Snare 5 [10pp] [20pp Total]

Device (Trenchcoat-Easy to Lose): Obscure 3 (Vision, Flaw: Limit – Evening

only) [2pp]

Trenchcoat: Device 1/Easy to lose, Should cost 5 points. Also 3 ranks of Obscure vision normally costs 6 points, flawing it would bring it down to 3 points.

Gloves: Device 4/Hard to lose. Should cost 16 points

Bodysuit: I'm not understanding, are you saying you have either Protection 5 or Protection 4 on at different times?

Super-Movement: Good

Though the history knowledge seems more like a Limited Enhanced Skill. Skills are supposed to be broad.

Yeah, I was trying to reflect the fact that he knew a lot about the 20's and 30's, but not the rest of history up to current time.

Is there such a thing as a Limted Enhanced Skill? If there is I can't find anything about it. Assuming there isn't, I will probably

just reduce it to Knowledge (History) 2

Devices need to be listed under Powers. May I ask how you came up with 6 ep on the briefcase?

Sorry, about the devices will adjust once I get everything else squared away - I was also trying to reflect that the Devices are in the false bottom of the briefcase

when Ethan is in Civilan clothing.

I allocated Six equipment points to make sure I covered the false bottom on the briefcase, I don't have anything to indicate how much it should cost and wanted to

overestimate rather than underestimate.

Trenchcoat: Device 1/Easy to lose, Should cost 5 points. Also 3 ranks of Obscure vision normally costs 6 points, flawing it would bring it down to 3 points.

Gloves: Device 4/Hard to lose. Should cost 16 points

Bodysuit: I'm not understanding, are you saying you have either Protection 5 or Protection 4 on at different times?

Super-Movement: Good

Ugh, I was making some mistakes on my conversion of the cost of the portions of the Device versus the actual Device cost.

The Trenchcoat provides the Obscure, so I think it would be Cost/Rank 3 (Easy to Lose) Power is Obscure Rank of 1 which affects Vision but is limited to Evening, which I think would cost 3pp ?- I realize there is technically some points of the Device left on the table, but I can't figure out what else to it them - adding another sense puts me over.

Gloves - yep, agreed should be 16

Bodysuit - I didn't describe it very well. The head of the Bodysuit can be detached. So when Ethan is in civilian clothes the Bodysuit without the head (worn underneath his civilian clothes) only provides Protection 4 (Impervious, Ablative), but when dressed as Sentinel the head is on the suit to provide a total of Protection 5 (Impervious, Ablative) - so the total should be 4pp (4 Cost/Rank * 1 (Protect 5, Impervious Extra, Ablative Flaw)- if I calculated it correctly.

If I have everything else correct I will adjust the Knowledge History down by 4 to make up for the point I screwed up on the trenchcoat.

Bodysuit - I didn't describe it very well. The head of the Bodysuit can be detached. So when Ethan is in civilian clothes the Bodysuit without the head (worn underneath his civilian clothes) only provides Protection 4 (Impervious, Ablative), but when dressed as Sentinel the head is on the suit to provide a total of Protection 5 (Impervious, Ablative) - so the total should be 4pp (4 Cost/Rank * 1 (Protect 5, Impervious Extra, Ablative Flaw)- if I calculated it correctly.

If I have everything else correct I will adjust the Knowledge History down by 4 to make up for the point I screwed up on the trenchcoat.

That sounds more like the Bodysuit is a Device that has Protection with the Weak Point drawback, and the Helmet is a separate Device that buys off the Drawback.

That sounds more like the Bodysuit is a Device that has Protection with the Weak Point drawback, and the Helmet is a separate Device that buys off the Drawback.

Ah, I see, I assume the Drawback is considered Uncommon, which gives an extra point which can be used to create the Protect 5 Impervious, Ablative for the head covering.

Got it. I will wait to see if I have the Device (Trenchcoat) Obscure correct then edit everything in one shot, unless that causes a problem - if so, please let me know.

Yeah, I was trying to reflect the fact that he knew a lot about the 20's and 30's, but not the rest of history up to current time.

Is there such a thing as a Limted Enhanced Skill? If there is I can't find anything about it. Assuming there isn't, I will probably

just reduce it to Knowledge (History) 2

Yeah, Enhanced Trait covers everything, even skills. It'd look like so:

Enhanced Skill 2 (Knowledge [history] +8; Flaw: Limited/Only the 20s and 30s) [1pp].

I'd even suggest that you put it as a feat. For example, Attractive is:

Enhanced Skill 2 (Bluff +4, Diplomacy +4; Flaw: Limited/Only for people who would find you attractive) [1pp].

I allocated Six equipment points to make sure I covered the false bottom on the briefcase, I don't have anything to indicate how much it should cost and wanted to

overestimate rather than underestimate.

It's just a briefcase, it'll only cost you 1ep.
The Trenchcoat provides the Obscure, so I think it would be Cost/Rank 3 (Easy to Lose) Power is Obscure Rank of 1 which affects Vision but is limited to Evening, which I think would cost 3pp ?- I realize there is technically some points of the Device left on the table, but I can't figure out what else to it them - adding another sense puts me over.
I made a mistake, yes, easy to lose Device is only 3 points a rank. You have:

Obscure 3 (visual; Flaw: Limited/Only in evening)

This indicates that you have 3 ranks of Obscure. As noted in the Obscure power, visual counts for 2 points a rank. In all that would equal 6 points, but with the flaw you take away 1 point per rank. This leaves you with 1 point a rank. All in all, it should cost 3 points.

• 1 month later...