On 2/23/2024 at 1:49 AM, RocketLord said:

Still... he's curious. "So, Cavalier. Where does that phrase come from? My grandfather's Terran, and I've never heard him use it before."

"It's a term used for a knight on horseback. It was close enough to 'knight' that I thought it would be a good way to stand aside but still have the title come through." Kyle double checked Kath'lana's figures. "You're right. And it's an old one, too. All right, looks like we've got some spelunking to do."

Space Ranger III

"Makes sense. There's lots of Star Knights out there. I'm guessing it will be confusing whenever more of you are together like this."

J'onn stops and turns to the machine, the massive propulsion unit. Did somebody aim this piece of rock at Korus?

"Is it active?" J'onn asks, looking over the engine. "Anybody see a control panel?"

Sri Kath'lana

The group gathered in the area inside the asteroid where the propulsion unit was located. A further search of the space revealed a nearby power cell, which was connected to the propulsion unit by heavy cables. The power cell appeared to be drained, so the propulsion unit was currently powered down and inactive.

"While someone put this here, it is not clear when it was done." Kath'lana indicated as she looked at the equipment.

As he studied the equipment, Cavalier noted that while the propulsion unit seemed archaic and likely old, the power cell was of a much more modern design.

"No... but it's gotten a bit of a touch up." Cavalier leaned in to inspect the power cell. "The engine itself is like a Plymouth F - I mean, like an old Vidaga-class starcruiser, the kind some people who own whole continents like to use as vintage luxury yachts. The cell itself is like shoving a grade 3 fusion core into it, which I wouldn't be surprised if someone tried that and took out an asteroid." He got up and looked around. "Which I wouldn't recommend while we're standing inside it. So, it's likely somebody built this as a guided missile and gave it just enough of a push that it could complete the journey on a set timetable. Like to hit Korus at just the right moment to ruin their day." 

Space Ranger III

Korus doesn't have any enemies like that as far as J'onn knows. Their issues tend to be more internal, even after J'onn's grandfather went and saved the planet.

"It can't have been that long ago, if the power cell's modern," he notes, while he moves to study it. "Korus doesn't have any enemies like that, far as I know. We haven't really made enough of an impact on the galaxy to do something like that."

He moves around it, trying to see anything that might be useful.

• 4 weeks later...

Sri Kath'lana

Kath'lana listened as Cavalier gave his analysis of what they seemed to be dealing with. The F'terrix Star Knight scowled behind the mask of her helmet. She glanced over to J'onn as he mentioned Korus not having enemies that were likely to want to make such an attack against the world. "No long standing disputes? She asked. “Or old history with more aggressive local sector groups?"

She paused a moment, then added, "but, if this is not likely the work of an external actor, what about any groups from Korus? Are there any that would have an interest in causing a planet wide catastrophe?"

Star Khan was still studying the equipment in the cavern and finally spoke up. "Whether an external or internal actor, could we try to use the current path of the asteroid to triangulate its path to this point? Could be that whoever is responsible is still somewhere along that path, monitoring their makeshift weapon to ensure it achieves the desired result."