Inward length of the Perseus Arm

Lor time mark 2104.7

J'onn Shepard, also known as Space Ranger III, sat in the cockpit of the Star Lance as he guided the vessel towards the outer boundaries of the Korus system. Recently, some astronomers on Korus happened to spot a large asteroid approaching the system from deep space. After several days observation and various calculations had been made, it had been determined that the asteroid was on course to intersect with Korus' aphelion when the planet reached that part of its orbit, resulting in what was likely to be a very catastrophic impact on the still recovering world.

While generally a technologically advanced world, capable of space flight and other technologies not common on Earth, Korus was still very much a world recovering from devastating internal wars, which had left large gaps in its technology. As such, unlike many worlds with similar space faring technology, Korus had a very poor deep space tracking system for identifying such hazards long before they would be realized, providing ample time to address them. Had it not been for the pure happenstance of this danger being spotted, it likely would have gone undetected. As it was, there was barely a standard month before the impact would occur.

Recognizing the situation might be one he could not handle on his own, J'onn had reached out to Sri Kath'lana, a Star Knight he had worked with in the past for assistance. The felineoid Star Knight had responded back that she was being dispatched to provide assistance, only when she arrived it was not alone, she had with her a more senior Star Knight, Kyle Steward of Earth.

The two Star Knights were with J'onn on the bridge of the Star Lance, as the vessel passed outside of the Korus system and into deep space, rapidly approaching the asteroid on its way toward the system…

He'd been out here a lot, lately. 

Years ago, the only thing Kyle dreamed of was getting back to Earth. He'd gotten used to the stars, the grip of artificial gravity, the feeling of being carried on sheets of titanium and fusion engines through the cold void, jumping from rock to rock and finding a hundred new lures and dangers. He wanted the pale blue dot, and all the comforts of home. 

But you don't spend half a decade out here without wanting to dip your toes back in. There was always a tour of duty, another sensitive matter. 

Like here, for instance. Deterring a meteor from making a messy impact was the kind of thing you could wrap your hands around and push. 

"All right." He looked at the calculations on his wristmount. "There should be a chance to bankshot this. Of course, we need to do the standard material checks, make sure this isn't some floating WMD or home to a colony of very small worldshippers or anything that makes this more than just space junk floating at the wrong angle." 

Space Ranger III

Luck. Pure dumb luck. That's the only reason that they even know about the incoming asteroid in time to try to do something about it. For all the time that they have spent rebuilding, for all of J'onn's grandfather's warnings and stories, they never once considered the danger that could from from outer space.

"The Star Lance doesn't even have the right tech to scan for that," J'onn responds to the Star Knight. A Star Knight from Earth... now wasn't that something?

"We appreciate you coming to give a hand. The parliament told me to bring their thanks." He pauses briefly, looking at the screens of the Star Lance, showing the asteroid. "So, how are we gonna do this?"

Sri Kath’lana

"Of course J'onn, that is what the Star Knights are for." Kath'lana responded to J'onn's thanks from where she was standing off to one side of the bridge. The F'terrix Star Knight was in her green tinted armor, though she currently had her helmet retracted.

While generally rather serious and matter-of-fact in general, the young Stark Knight seemed a bit more formal and serious than J’onn had seen during his prior experience working with her. This of course had much to do with the presence of Kyle Steward. Not only had he been among her instructors at Citadel prior to Kath’lana assuming the rank of Star Knight, he was also one of the more accomplished members of the Order within the last decacycle. One of the few survivors of the Battle of Lor-Van, he had played a major role during the Incursion. Following that, he had served as the Order’s representative to the Praetorians, serving alongside that storied group in numerous other missions. It would not be an understatement to say he was one of the primary role models for the F'terrix.

When J'onn mentioned the limitations of the Star Lance's sensors, Kath'lana gave a small smile. "Then we will just have to get in close and make visual confirmation."

"Well..." Cavalier looked out at the display, trying to get a bead on the asteroid. There had been that one that had all those automated defenses - it had taken a while to degauss the armor after that - and of course, there were the occasional space tardigrades that curled up into little asteroid-sized balls. Cute little guys, if they didn't cause space fleets to panic and occasionally try to gum your face off. "Once we get into closing distance, I can get on the rock. Get a better sense of substance, weak points... as well as if it is a rock. Ideally, it's just a rock, but you never know out here."

He looked over to Kith'lana and nodded. "Of course, eyeballing's always a good start." 

Space Ranger III

"Well then, what are we waiting for?" J'onn asks, looking away from the two Star Knights to focus on the controls instead.

No time like the present to get into trouble, he steers the Star Lance down, closer towards the asteroid.

"Do you see anything? I've got all power re-routed to shields and speed, but I can switch powers to the blasters if we need it."

Sri Kath'lana

Kath'lana gave a small smile at Cavalier's comment to her about visual confirmation being a good start. She then stood quietly as J'onn accelerated the Star Lance and veered towards the asteroid.

It was not long before the Sar Lance had arrived near the asteroid, which was approximately 100km in diameter. From what they could see through the main viewport, it seemed very much to be what the astronomer who spotted it had believed, a massive hunk of rock. However, that confirmation did not rule out many of the other concerns raised by Cavalier.

"Does the Star Lance have remote piloting capability?" Kath'lana asked as she looked over to J'onn. "We probably need to get out there and down onto the asteroid to truly make confirmation that there is nothing to be concerned about. Or do you want to stay aboard and nearby?"

Space Ranger III

"Nothing too advanced," J'onn responds without looking away from the controls, as he moves closer. "Can keep it hovering and trailing once we're close enough. Tether it, y'know."

The Star Lance descends towards the asteroid, until they are close enough, without landing. He flicks a switch, presses a few buttons on a screen and then turns and stands up.

"C'mon, you think I'm gonna be sitting around and letting you have all the fun?" He grins, pushes a button on his belt and his helmet materializes, while he goes to a compartment and pulls out his jetpack. "Lead the way, Star Knights."

[b]Cavalier[/b]

"Leading on." 

It's very much old hat, by this point. But it doesn't feel that way. He still remembers his first space walk, in the bulky yet dangerously thin "space condoms" they carried in the cargo bay on the Runabouts' ship. It was good they pointed out how the suits captured waste, because he always felt like he was two seconds away from putting that into practice. Visions of micrometeors danced in his head as he looked out on the starry void, anxiety losing out over wonder... for a minute, at least. 

Now, with the finest armor-energy mesh known to the sector and much more practice under his belt, it would be easy for Kyle to just consider another spacewalk to be something mundane. But that was also easier said than done. The tranquility, the majesty, the sheer scope of the sea of stars... it always felt natural and otherworldly, at the same time. 

"All right. We're going to hover above the asteroid, maybe a meter. Try to get surface readings before we set foot on it and potentially get a nasty surprise. Sound good?"

Sri Kath'lana

Kath'lana smiled slightly at J'onn's comment about not letting her and Cavalier have all the fun as he prepared himself to go out to investigate the asteroid. Then the feline Star Knight activated her own helmet, which hid her expression behind it.

She then glanced over towards Kyle as he explained what they would be doing, giving a small nod. "Understood Cavalier." She replied, her voice now having a slight metallic tone to it due to the armor's filter.

In sort order, the three had all exited the Star Lance's airlock and were flying through the void towards the massive form of the asteroid that was slowly tumbling through space further into the Korus System.

Space Ranger III

"Cavalier, eh? Is that some fancy Star Knight rank?" J'onn asks, as he stands in the airlock and then, let's himself fall out. The gravity is low enough that he is barely moving. He gets ready to activate his jetpack, and then, he flinches.

Before him is a woman made of stars. She seems familiar. 

Then J'onn blinks and she is gone. He is with the Star Knights. That was new... and probably not something he should mention right now.

He activates his jetpack and flies along the Star Knights towards the asteroid. "Right. One meter distance. No touching down yet." He pauses. "So... in case there's natives, what do we do?"

"It was to distinguish myself, I guess," said Cavalier as he flew over the rock. "I came into the armor through a... well, let's say''oblique' route. Not theft or anything like that, but more ending up in the wrong place at the right time. When I was brought into the Knights, Earth already had one, and she was using the moniker full time. So, if I was going to go back to Earth and represent the Knights, I needed my own title. Or we could have shared, but that might have gotten weird."

There is such a thing as too casual, of course. Although Kyle is experienced in this kind of thing, the regular patrol can cause a sharp eye to relax too much. Hence why the asteroid seems relatively mundane to his scans. 

Sri Kath'lana

As Cavalier explained his use of a unique name, Kath'lana remained quiet. It was rather unusual for a Star Knight to have a unique title like that, but as far as the F'terrix Star Knight was concerned, if any currently active Star Knight had earned that distinction, it was Sri Steward. Instead, she began to answer Space Ranger's other question about what they would do if there were some sort of living organisms on the asteroid. "That is when things become more complicated as we…."

The felineoid Star Knight suddenly stopped, looking up away from the asteroid as she snarled, her hands coming down to her sides as green energy formed claws on her metal gauntlets.

Space Ranger caught a glimpse of what Kath’lana had spotted a moment later, as he saw a humanoid figure flying through space and come down to land on the asteroid a short distance ahead of the three, kicking up dust and a bit of debris as it landed. Focused as he was on the asteroid's surface, Cavalier had not seen the approaching figure until it had already landed.

The figure stood back upright, standing nearly six and a half feet tall, and was instantly recognizable. He had grey-blue skin, high cheekbones and a flowing mane of white hair over tapered ears and was dressed in teal armor with a black under suit visible at the joints. Each shoulder pauldron had a black circle with a yellow eight-pointed starburst, a similar, much larger white starburst was on the front of the chest plate.

Star Khan.

Kath'lana had shifted into a defensive stance, her energy claws back as she seemed to be preparing to pounce, but then she paused as she almost hissed, "your not Kinan Khan."

Space Ranger III

J'onn had been a bit cavalier himself before. Sure, the asteroid is serious, but he also got two Star Knights here backing up him, and they got time to deal with it. It's not like it will hit instantly, they got time. 

And then the Star Khan drops out of nowhere and lands on the asteroid, looking imposing as hell.

While Kath'lana goes into a defensive stance with her energy claws, J'onn has already drawn his ray guns, aiming both at them at the Star Khan, his hands on the triggers. This is not the time to take any chances.

"Hey, welcome to Korus System you Khan-esty. I don't suppose you're here to help with this hunk of rock?" 

This is not the Star Khan that J'onn had read about or seen mentioned. He is younger. Much younger. Wasn't there something about a son that had survived the Incursion? Kinarr or something like that?

Every single urge in Cavalier's body went to violence. He had seen this face in his nightmares, run through with veins of computronium and leading the armies of the Communion. Lor-Van died, and you're still breathing. Well, I know one way to make up for all that...

It was Kath'lana's words that kept him from engaging in some very hasty assassination. He couldn't believe he'd let his rage get the better of him. Of course this wasn't the same man. For one thing, there was a lot more flesh. He allowed himself a moment of peace and focus. Hopefully, he wouldn't kick himself for it later.

"What brings you out to this part of the galaxy?"

Sri Kath'lana

The young Zultasian looked over at the three heroes, noting Kath'lana's defensive stance and Space Ranger's drawn ray guns pointed in his direction. However, the armored figure kept his hands down at his side, his stance seemingly relaxed as he gave a small smile. "Greetings Star Knights, Space Ranger. I am Kinarr Khan, and with my father's recent death, I am the new Star Khan and ruler of the Stellar Khanate."

He focused his attention on Space Ranger as he added, "and I am indeed here to offer my assistance."

Kath'lana stood fully upright once again, relaxing some, but keeping her energy claws in place as she glanced over towards Space Ranger and Cavalier, seemingly a bit unsure what to make of this strange development.

Space Ranger III

Now that is not what J'onn had exptected to hear. Some threats, some statements about superiority, maybe just going straight for the throat. And an offer of help? 

Kath'lana might relax, but J'onn's not sure he wants to be quite that trusting just yet. Kinarr Khan is still a Star Khan, even if he's not the same Star Khan. He lowers his ray guns slowly, but keeps them in his hands.

"Uh huh. Well, the offer's appreciated, Star Khan. As Korus' representative here, I'd like to welcome you to the system. We're just looking to find out what this asteroid's about before deciding what to do about it." He turns his head slightly towards Stewart, without taking his eyes off the Star Khan. "That reminds me, the scan's get anything yet?"

He obviously couldn't be trusted. That was the baseline level of intergalactic diplomacy here. It was one of the first things Kyle committed to memory during induction at Citadel. You don't trust the Khanate. 

But.

As long as he was offering an open hand instead of a closed fist, it was best to accept it. What was he going to do, tell the head of a powerful if despotic state to frag off while investigating a potential planet-killer? That wasn't going to win anything except ego points, and those didn't spend well.

It was of course while doing all this internal calculus that Kyle realized he was supposed to be doing a density scan. He rerouted the power from his thrusters into his HUD, accessing some analytical protocols. One would be able to pierce the surface of the rock and figure out if there was anything going on under it that shouldn't be on your average asteroid. The other would be to help detect points of weakness that would allow them to turn this into a bunch of much-smaller-than-average asteroids. 

Sri Kath'lana

The young Star Khan gave a small nod in acknowledgement of Space Ranger's "official" welcome to the Korus System. He then turned to regard Cavalier as Space Ranger asked about the scans of the asteroid.

Kath'lana kept a close eye on the Star Khan as Cavalier focused his attention back on completing the scans of the asteroid. Like her fellow Star Knight, the F'terrix did not trust the new Khan, but was not going to start a fight that they could perhaps avoid.

It took a few moments, but Cavalier as soon able to find several fault lines within the asteroid that could be used to break it up into smaller, likely more manageable parts. He did not see any signs of any developing organisms on the asteroid, but, more importantly, as he scanned towards the far side away from where they currently were, he saw something had been placed deep within the asteroid through what appeared to be a tunnel.

"All right, good news first," said Cavalier. "This is not some sort of miniature spaceship or home for endangered bacteria or hidden transforming robot engine of destruction. It even has a few good weakpoints to target for easy dismantling. And now the bad news." He pointed down, tracing his finger to where he could surmise the entry point to the asteroid would be. "Someone put a toy surprise inside the comet. We've got a possible point of ingress that way. Who wants to go spelunking?"

Space Ranger III

"Toy surprise?" J'onn asks, raising a barely visible eyebrow behind his face plate. "Is that some kind of Earth idiom?" 

He slowly lowers himself, though not enough to actually touch down on the asteroid. He's not too happy about that surprise, whatever it is.

"How about we all go? No offense since you're trying to help out, but I'd rather keep an eye on you, Star Khan."

Sri Kath'lana

Kath'lana and the young Star Khan did not seem to fully understand Cavalier's refence to a "toy surprise" either, but like Space Ranger, both seemed to understand that it was not necessarily good.

Kinarr gave a small smile as Space Ranger suggested they all go investigate the tunnel and whatever might be placed within the asteroid. "I understand I am likely to have to earn your trust Space Ranger." The young Khan replied. "I am happy to join in investigating whatever this device may be."

Soon, the four had made their way around to another part of the asteroid, where they found the entrance to the tunnel. It was clearly not natural, but bored out by some sort of machine.

Looking down into the tunnel, Kath'lana looked over to the others. "I suppose I can take the lead."

One of these days, Kyle, someone's gonna get terminally pissed at you deciding to use Earth cultural references. Fortunately, that's not today.

"There's something hidden at the heart of the comet," he said. "It could be an explosive payload, it could be a propulsion system... for all we know, it could be the cryogenically stored bodies of some long dead civilization. But odds are, it's not anything that's going to enrich anybody's spirit." He looked to Sri. "I'll be close behind. And we... appreciate the offer, Khan. Let's go."

Because I'm sure as hell not leaving you out here unattended. 

Space Ranger III

"Interesting," J'onn says, as they look at the entrance. An artificial entrance, dug into the asteroid. Why would anyone do this? "Whatever it is, we better give it a look, right? Who knows what kind of weapon it might be?"

Letting Sri take the lead, he follows close behind, stealing glances at the Star Khan. The Star Knights seem to have a grudge, or at least be more vary of him than J'onn, but he honestly can't blame them. He knows about the Khanate, even if they haven't been all the way out to Korus yet.

Still... he's curious. "So, Cavalier. Where does that phrase come from? My grandfather's Terran, and I've never heard him use it before."

Sri Kath'lana

Once everyone was in agreement to descend into the tunnel, Kath'lana started down, becoming more like a stalking predator as she moved downward.

Star-Khan followed after, with Space Ranger and Cavalier following behind. The tunnel went straight down into the asteroid, no twists or turns, although at points it intersected with small fissures and openings, but otherwise continued along a straight path.

After a few hundred meters, Kath'lana reached the end of the tunnel, stopping a short distance from the device that was located at the end, moving to one side as the others drew closer. "It appears to be some sort of propulsion device, I think." She transmitted as she studied it a few moments, not recognizing the technology.