20 Questions

Where are you from?

I was born and raised in Colorado Springs, Colorado.

How would you describe yourself physically? Is this different from how others would?

I guess 'tall, blonde and athletic'? I hate to say it, because it sounds like bragging, but I guess I'm, you know, pretty. Or at least I am if you're into tall blonde athletic girls :$

Guys tell me I'm 'cute' or 'hot' a lot, which is really a mixed blessing, because it usually means they're not listening to what I'm saying. Oh, speaking of listening, my hearing has gotten a lot better recently, which is really a mixed blessing, because now I can hear what they're whispering when they think I can't...ick. 

Girls...well, women usually say things like, 'Oh my gosh, you're so pretty!', which is nice, but obviously not every girl wants to hang out with you if you're a tall blonde, because then sometimes guys ignore them. I'm not going to be horrible and say, 'Oh my gosh, being pretty is a curse!',  because it obviously it isn't, but, you know, everything has its downside, I guess.

Wow, I sound so shallow; can we cut that part out? Ick!

Do you have distinguishing speech characteristics or recurring mannerisms?

I was brought up to not curse or take the Lord's name in vain, which I guess some people think makes me sound 'old-fashioned' or like a 'goody two-shoes', I guess. I don't know...I mean, if you wouldn't say something in front of your grandmother, why say it at all?

(I do slip up from time to time; sorry, Grandma!)

What is your motivation in life?

Okay, this is going to sound cheesy as all get out, but I do try to live by the Girl Scout Law,  which reads:

"I will do my best to be honest and fair, friendly and helpful, considerate and caring, courageous and strong, and responsible for what I say and do, and to respect myself and others, respect authority, use resources wisely, make the world a better place, and be a sister to every Girl Scout."

I mean, that pretty well covers it, right? That and being a good Christian, in my case. I know 'respect for authority' gets challenging when you're dealing with like, crooked cops or something, but overall...yeah!

What would you consider your greatest strengths and weaknesses?

I think I have a good attitude, which I really owe to my parents bringing me up right. I genuinely like to help people, and I'd like to think I'm getting good at it.

I think my biggest weakness is...I think I try too hard to please people? And I don't think I always give myself the time to do what want to do, you know, just for me.

What do you love? What do you hate?

Oh gosh...I love lots of things! I love the outdoors, like doing anything outdoors. I love animals, both dogs and cats, horses...I love flying, either on my own or in a plane. Oh gosh, I obviously love my family, duh! And I love helping people and hanging out with my friends, so...yeah!

What do I hate? Bullies, of any kind. I hate the hatred and fear I see every day in the world; I hate racism, sexism, and people being beat up for what they believe in or who they love. This whole planet, the whole universe...the lives we live? It's a gift; all of it. I don't care what God you pray to, or even if you believe in God at all, but if you can't respect a person who's different from you, then you are not helping. You're making things worse.

How would you describe your mental and emotional processes?

Very fast! ?

Seriously though, I like to think things through, to consider the possible repercussions of my actions, and not just charge blindly into a situation. Ideally you do research first, then recon, then plan, and then finally put that plan into action. Obviously, you don't always have the luxury of time, even if you do have super-speed!

In term of emotions, I can get pretty emotional, though I try to keep my emotions in check when I'm  out in the field during a mission; afterwards though, I may come home and cry my eyes out. I enjoy a lot of the same sappy stuff a lot of girls my age like; like, I used to love Twilight before I totally grew out of it.

What do you fear the most?

Causing someone's injury or death through careless use of my powers; I worry about it all the time.

What is your greatest ambition?

To make a difference, not just through using my powers, but by exposing injustice, corruption or suffering in such away that real change as a result. It's why I want to go into journalism.

How does you feel about the state of the world and your place in it?

There are lots of problems in the world right now, more than even one person with superpowers can manage; I feel a tremendous responsibility to make the world a better place, and I thank God for giving me the opportunity to put my money where my mouth is, so to speak.

Do you have any prejudices? How do you get along with others?

like to think I get along with everyone, but I know I have biases. I feel...very white sometimes; like that thing where you want to hold a bake sale 'to end racism and world hunger'? Yeah, like that; like am I just clueless and over optimistic, or somehow doing more harm than good?

Also I recently came to realize I have no African-American friends, and other than a few girls in my troop back home, never really have had any. That time when I into the Fens with Robin? I was freaking out, and I was in no danger whatsoever! So yeah, I do think there's some racism in me; not the hostile kind, but the 'dumb scared white girl' kind. Ick. I have to be better.

Where do your loyalties lie? In what order?

Oh wow. Um, well, I guess I'm loyal to my family and friends first, then to my country. And then the Girl Scouts, I guess!

Do you have a lover or sexual partner? How do they feel about you currently?

Uh, that's very personal! Um, well I had a boyfriend in school back home; we mostly did, you know, kid stuff. We kissed, held hands, went on dates. I haven't had a boyfriend since coming to Claremont.

So...my mom is a doctor, and she has strong feelings about sex education, which our local school district was pretty...uptight about; she bought me a lot of books and had some very honest (and kind of embarrasing!) talks with me about my body, my rights and my options. Dad was a little freaked out about this stuff (he's really old-fashioned), but Mom insisted, and I'm kind of glad she did.

Um, can we go to the next question now? ?

Do you have a family? If so, what is your relationship like?

Not of my own, because I'm still a kid, but I have two parents and an older brother, like lots of people. I love my family so much, and they give me all my strength. My brother is still very protective of me, even though I can bench press a tank, which is very sweet of him.

How would those closest to you describe you?

Um, I don't know; 'nice and hardworking'? 'Kind of goofy', or 'a big cheeseball'? Nice things, I hope!

My friends back home used to call me 'Head Case', because I'd take so much time to think things over; my brain's just a little faster now, but I still like to think things through. 

Do you consider yourself a role model?

I think when you're a hero, or at least trying to be one, you become a role model whether or not you want to be; people just hold you to a higher standard. So it's important to consider your actions carefully. The trick is not to overthink what you do to the point that you don't do anything. 'Too much analysis leads to paralysis', as my field hockey coach used to say.

Everyone makes mistakes, so obviously heroes do, too; the point is, if you're upfront about them and you have a good track record with the public, hopefully they'll understand and forgive you.

I just realized that I kind of focused on all the bad things about being a role model; just to be clear, I love being a role model. I love inspiring little girls and boys, and grownups, too, either by example or just providing hope. I do a lot of hospital visits, but not just to the pediatric wards, which of course is awesome (and sometimes heartbreaking, to be honest). I also like to visit injured cops and firemen, or really anyone who was willing to sacrifice themselves to help someone else. They're always so surprised to see me, and I'll say something like, 'What, you didn't know that heroes like to hang out together? Don't you read the tabloids?', or something goofy like that. You just have to check with their doctor first before you start cracking jokes, because cracked ribs and smoke inhalation are not laughing matters!

How spiritual are you? Do you follow a religious tradition?

I was brought up Episcopalian, which is like 'Catholicism with less guilt', as Robin Williams once said. I believe in God and Heaven, but also helping people in this life. I think a life of service is, well, holy and just, though that might sound kind of cheesy.

I don't believe in forcing my religious views on other people; I've met good people who were Jewish, Muslim and even athiest, and I don't think I'm any better than any of them. We have to live our lives as we believe, and good people can do bad things without even realizing it, often when they think they're doing good. If you live a life full of love, whoever you love...that's the best you can do.

Are you part of a team, or would you like to be? Why?

I work a lot with my best friend Endeavor; I might join her at AEGIS after we graduate.

As to why, I think when you work with a good team, you make each other better; no one is so good at their job that they can't do better with some help.

How do you feel about the treatment of metahumans and aliens on the Earth?

I can't speak about the whole planet, but in Freedom City where I live and work, I think it's mostly good; I mean, you don't live in Freedom if you don't want to deal with the amazing and unusual. But I think sometimes, it could be better; I have a friend named Miss Grue who is, you know, a Grue, and I think she's had to deal with some prejudice because of that, when in fact she's the sweetest person you could ever meet.

If you could give one piece of advice to your hero, what would it be?

Go out into the world and meet more people; you actually had a pretty sheltered upbringing, and the world isn't as scary as you think.

Edited Sunday at 09:43 AM by Heritage

Edited by Heritage