Getting away with it (IC)

Rodnak 252

Edge of the Lor Republic

GM Post

Even when the Republic was at it’s height Rodnak was considered a frontier world. Far from the machinations of Lor-Van this sleepy little agricultural planet was beneath most people’s knowledge. The Communion and even common raiders passed it by considering it too small for there notice. Even with the republic still recovering from the Incursion and the safe borders creeping parsec’s from this little planet no one gave it any notice. It was the perfect place if you wanted to hide away from everyone, just you and you secrets as the populous wasn’t the type to question you pass.

Arak City was as close you call a capital and even it was no more than a few building clustered together with an area cleared and treated for shuttles to land and refuel. Though no one had used the pad in almost a year now, though that was something that was about to change...

Grāmya farm, just outside Arak City

Sitara hummed a happy little tune as she worked beneath the massive lifter that had bedevil the farm for at least as long as she’d been here, and probably longer. WIth the harvest finally in and ready for transport she finally had a chance to look at the grav units that keep cutting in and out making the lifter a chore to operate. It was good to just switch off and dig around in the mechanics of the vehicle and it was probably her third or fourth favorite way to spend a day. Of cause it couldn’t last and it was interrupted by the vehicle being lifted bodily away from her and the face of concerned grey skinned girl entering her field of vision.

Though only about a year old little Asa already looked around three and was starting to show more powers as she got older, her superhuman strength being just one of them.

“Now what did mummy say about using your powers?” she softly scolded the girl as she got to her feet “Now put the lifter down, gently now...”

The lifter was unceremoniously dropped and only it’s working gravics stop it causing further damage, Sitara was glad that so far her adopted daughter didn’t appear to want to cause her harm.

“Ribble scared!” was Asa explanation for the interruption.

Ribble was a small creature, more fur than anything else, that was virtually indestructable which was helpful with Asa’s less than gentle petting. The seller had also claimed that it was psychic and could sense danger, which until now she hadn’t had chance or cause to test.

Just then she could hear the gentle hum of approaching grav vehicle, maybe the trader was righ about Ribble or Asa hearing has just gotten that good. Grabbing a old rag she began to wipe her hands as she stepped out of the barn, blinking against the light of this planet's red sun.

“Let’s see why we have visitors today.”

GM Post

Coming down the road towards the farm were two vehicles that gave Sitara paused, everything about them screamed military with their clunky practical and over engineered design. She was a little out of touch, two years wasn’t enough to catch up with two thousand years of design, but they had the look of Lor vehicles. For a few second she thought it was her Praetorian friend come to get her back, but she’d parted for a leave of absence fairly amicably.

From the vehicle exited two troopers in some form of all covering body armour, for all Sitara could tell they were clones, matt black and designed to be impossing. It was true that the Lor navy allowed some variation in uniform but this something this striking wasn’t usual at all. One of the troopers looked, probably suspiciously, at Sitara and little Asa hiding behind her leg whilst the other opened the vehicle's hatch for the officer they were here to guard.he also was in a darker uniform than normal, though it was definitely Lor Navy in design.

Sitara smiled as the officer got into position flanked by his two guards looking all stern a serious and ready for business. It was the standard way to try and intimidate you foe and try and cowl them into getting whatever they wanted. It was a very old tactic that SItara had seen many times before, it worked mostly on the fact that the person on the other side was a civilian who knew nothing on the arts of war. Unluckily for them she’d written the book, well several in fact, on these kind of things and knew how to counter them. But it could very quickly get messy, she knelt down an

“Go wait in the barn mummy has to talk to them about adult stuff for a minute.” she hoped they weren’t stupid enough to try and harm her child

She stood back up and strolled towards the officer, stopping a deliberate step after she heard the click of their blasters being made ready. She might be trying to wind them up but she wasn’t looking to start trouble, at least not yet.

• 5 weeks later...

GM Post

The Lor commander paused for a few moments caught out by the fact that Sitara was so forward and confident, he was obviously use to scared cowed farmers. He recovered quickly and stood a little taller, obviously hoping that and the guards would make him look more intimidating.

“I do not believe we’ve met before, the owner of this farm was different last time we visited.”

His tone suggested that he wasn’t just making idle conversation there was a implied threat to his tone. It didn’t impress Sitara much she’d been threatened by professionals.

Sitara keep her reply just a fraction longer than necessary, to show that she knew his play,whilst she cleaned her hands on the rag she’d been carrying.

“After the couple of years I’ve had I’d though I take some quiet time and do some farming, been a very long time since I’ve done any and things have most definitely changed.”

One thing that hadn’t changed since she left Earth was people who wanted to take from those who provided without any effort, bullies in other word.And this felt like a shake down.

“So what is this visit all about?”

GM Post

The officer was still surprised at not having gained control of the situation, he was obviously well out of his depth, so he fell back on the obvious route procedure that they followed.

“As part of the Lor Republic, and enjoying the protections of the republic, you are required to provide for the support of its forces. I’m here to collect an suitable reparation on behalf of the Republic.”

So it was a plain and simple shake down, well that was almost refreshing.

• 1 month later...

Sitara smiled a still fairly friendly smile, but with a slight edge that suggested trouble might be on way very soon. The Lor soldier were getting pretty nervous now, there blaster rifles more or less ready for trouble to start. Obviously they’d be out here so long they weren’t use to anyone who showed any defiance.

“Actually I’m not a citizen of the Lor Republic, I’m a citizen of Earth. Though truth be told it’s been awhile since I was a resident there.”

The Lor officer actually winced a little at the mention of Earth, many Lor had problem with the little upstart of a planet.

GM Post

The Officer drew himself up to his full height and tried to look imposing as he could, obviously he was a hair's breath of taking action against her insolence. Which was good as that was exactly what she was aiming for.

“This planet is part of the Lor Republic and as such you are considered part of the populous for the purpose of taxes.” he gave a thin smile thinking he might finally gotten the upper hand on the situation

“So I suggest you pay the required tithe, or I will be forced to claim reparations in kind.”

Well now it was officially, this was a simple shake down. One finally jab before they reacted she figured. She subtly adjusted her posture ready to react to the impending attacks.

“Well in that case aren’t you pledge to defend me from anyone trying to threaten my safety and livelihood? Because I feel right now like you’re doing more or less the opposite.”

Her hands went for her blaster around her waist, whilst trying to remain as subtle as possible. It wouldn’t matter for that much longer either way.

GM Post

The officer just scowled at this,to him this was taking far too long when there were other farms to loot today. And she didn’t expect her words to suddenly change his entire outlook, just convince him that he’d had to go further, right about...

“I see in that case I’m afraid I’m going to have to use force to convince you.”

He gestured to his two soldiers who raised their blasters to fire.

Sitara stood her ground as the blaster bolts kicked up dirt a few millimeters from her, they might be bullies but they weren’t murders. Somewhere deep down there was still that core of Navy training but she couldn’t count on it for long, after all they could just stun her and take what they wanted.

She smiled a confident smile and held it for a few moments, long enough to spook them before they came to there senses and started firing in earnest. They she took off for the nearest cover, drawing both her blasters and firing a series of shoots at the group.

GM Post

The sudden burst of blaster fire had the desired result as the three Lor made for the safety of cover, the officer even giving a very satisfying yelp of alarm. The armoured soldier were a little more professional laying down covering fire as they moved to a safe position.

Then there was the sudden silence as both side paused to see exactly what the other was about to do

It was, as always, a serious situation but Sitara couldn’t help but smile to herself. Her couple of months living an idyllic life on this farm had been great and all, and there was little Asa, but she always missed the thrill of combat. Even after all there centuries she’d not been able to shake it off to enjoy what many would consider a normal life. She did feel a pang of guilt that she’d probably now have to leave all this behind and return to the Praetorians, still at least she could hopefully make things easier to those left behind.

“I’ll give you one chance to leave without any further trouble. I really don't want to make this worse for everyone involved.”

As she spoke she peered over the top of her makeshift cover, her targeting systems picking out the three Lor. She formulated  a plan not planning to play fair by any sense of the world.

GM Post

The answer was a hail of blaster fire towards her general direction, the officer's pistol adding to the hail of blaster bolts. They were overconfident still thinking that she was a simple farmer, an armed farmer, but a farmer nethertheless. Sloppy thinking from being too long on the frontier and away from really dangerous foes.

“Such an assault is a violation of the laws and we can respond with all the force necessary to respond. Surrender now and we shall go easy on you for this crime.”

This was obviously a stock response so they could carry on doing what they were whilst still staying within the law, even if it was very much on the edge of such things.

Sitara was pretty sure that she could easily take down the three of them, she’d been doing this well before they even became an Interstellar power. But she wanted to minimize damage to the farm and the Lor themselves, she wasn’t feeling particularly malicious towards them. Beside she was a much a engineer as a warrior, and that was an also an itch she hadn’t scratched in quite a while. The Lifter wasn’t enough of a challenge for her, just something to tinker with to pass the time.

The thing was that all Lor military vehicles used the same interfaces and software to run their systems, and she’d had a chance to study them quite a bit in her short time in this century. She pulled up there Grav vehicles systems on her arm computer quickly working out the various pathways she needed to do to hopefully achieve the effect she was after. Almost as an after though she fired a few shots towards them to make it look like she was paying them some attention.

GM Post

To their credit it didn’t take them long to realise that she wasn’t really trying, after all they were all trained by one of the best combat forces in this region of space. The officer stopped them firing and gestured for the troop to loop round and try and flank Sitara, a solid if unimaginative tactic considering the circumstances.

It was just that she was trained by better a very long time ago.

Just as they were about to move out there was a whine from there own Grav Vehicle, the very object they had chosen to use as cover when trouble started.

The thing about the Lor Sitara mused, as she worked, was that they were a very pragmatic people. They tended to design their equipment to be able to deal with as many situations as possible, why have a dozen or more vehicles when one would do? It made supplies and repairs simplicity itself, which was something she could respect as an engineer.

That meant that there simple transport was also designed to deal with crowd control with several devices to stop people from causing them trouble, Of cause there were layers of security to stop people from seizing control of such weapons, but Sitara was a quick study.

So right now the vehicle was about to power up to take down its very own people, an irony indeed!