Dreamweaver (OOC)

Blarghy

There's a small boathouse and dock around the back of the property, which is coincidentally how the starlight components are transported in, and the final product out (Bailey, or at least his henchmen, is smart enough to not have SUVs full of gangsters coming up and down his driveway when he can avoid it). A walkway leads up from the pier to the back door.  If you want to save some time by writing that in yourself, then you're welcome to.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And your second-to-last Arcane Lore check--which you don't actually have to roll for, thanks to Presto's high bonus and his Skill Mastery, unless you just want to for some reason.  He can hit all the thresholds automatically by taking 10, so the spoiler boxes are really just a formality.  If you hadn't raised your bonus during the course of the game, he probably could've still made it without rolling, thanks to his Eidetic Memory feat--these creatures came up in his research earlier that night, though he dismissed this possibility along with the others he found, as the clues just still don't all fit.

DC15:

Spoiler

The amphibious red-gilled pixies (alternatively, bloodpatch pixies) live in freshwater environments, coming up to the surface to eat insects and reptiles (along with their primary diet of fish).  They’re mischievous like many other pixie breeds, yet less intelligent, to an animalistic level. 

DC20:

Spoiler

Sorcerers sometimes take them on as familiars, or more commonly, harvest their eggs, which when eaten temporarily boost magical abilities and, as a pleasant side-effect, give the user uncommonly vivid dreams.

DC25:

Spoiler

Bloodpatch pixie roe is not known to cause the kind of mental instability that Presto has been tracking in this case, or insect-themed nightmares.  It isn’t even supposed to be addictive.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

And your final (probably) Arcane Lore check of the game!  You can choose to take 10, as always, if you want to play it safe.  Or you can roll and try to get the best secret.  It's up to you. 

DC10:

Spoiler

The ancient Japanese believed that Baku, a dream-eating chimera (notably it had the trunk of an elephant and the paws of a tiger, among other features), could be called upon to devour nightmares.  This creature is benevolent and helpful, and nothing terrible happens due to its attention, not even a little bit.

DC15:

Spoiler

Except it does.  Perhaps in its early days, Baku could eat human dreams without causing harm, but frequent visits would nonetheless begin to hollow out its victims’ brains, leaving them simpleminded and spiritually empty.  Now, the process is likely much faster.  Even the wise can be brought low in this fashion—though the wise would say to avoid Baku in the first place. 

DC20:

Spoiler

Japan is far from the only culture with legends of dream-eaters.  Presto, with his uncommon knowledge, can connect the dots and see patterns between them.  The alp, the mare, even various dream-demons, many of them are likely misinterpreted sightings of the same creature, or perhaps its supernatural offspring.  Presto can attribute some of their known abilities to this Baku as well: the alp was reported to always wear a magical hat, capable of rendering it invisible.  Alps and mares could also shapeshift into various common animals.

DC25:

Spoiler

A diet of dreams, especially the dreams of wizards, should have strange effects.  Presto recalls very obscure lore on these matters, and from it he feels confident that this Baku may be more dream than not: an ethereal creature, immune to almost all earthly weapons and even magics, but in turn unable to affect the solid world directly. 

DC30:

Spoiler

Baku, or its offspring, even traveled to the New World to feast.  The indigenous Ojibwe peoples of North America created the dreamcatcher in large part because of such monsters.  They spoke of Asibikaashi, the Spider Woman, who protected her children from nightmares (and the things that cause or are drawn to them) with her webs, until her mortal servants became too numerous and widespread to manage personally, and thus taught them to craft their own charms of defense.  It stands to reason that Baku probably has some vulnerability to webs…and a fear of the creatures that weave them, to the point that even such nightmares would taste unappealing. 

• 2 weeks later...

Whew, ok, sorry for the wait. 

Adept:

Initiative: 1d20+11 30

Bailey:

Initiative: 1d20+2 16

And even though he isn't really fighting yet, Baku:

Initiative: 1d20-1 9

Warne wastes his first attack on trying his telekinesis on Baku, discovering his insubstantial nature in the process.  And Bailey, still enraged at Presto, attacks in that direction.  This being the first round of combat, the characters are, of course, flat-footed.

Attack: 1d20+7 14

...But he still misses, because Presto's flat-footed bonus is uncommonly good!  And now it's back to you.

Name       HPs   Initiative    Damage      Status Conditions

Adept        1       30                None            None

Bailey        N/A   16                None            None

Baku         N/A    9                  None            None

Presto       4       5                  None            Ability Drain (Wisdom, -5)

We've discussed earlier that between my Skill Mastery feat and high Knowledge: Arcane Lore skill, I can jury-rig a ten point ritual in a single turn, correct?

If that's the case I have a plan, but I'd like to confirm it with you first.

Nope, we'd misunderstood the rules. That's fine; I'll use Extraordinary Effort to add both ranks of the Affects Insubstantial feat to Presto's Blast attack.

And then, of course, I'll use said Blast attack on Baku.

Attack Roll: 1d20+10 11.

Well, of course. I'm not going to allow that, so I'm going to spend one of my 4 Hero Points on a re-roll.

Attack Roll: 1d20+10 27.

Now that's what I'm talking about!

Edited by Sophistemon

Yep, that's most definitely a hit.  For the record, I didn't know that Extra(ordinary) Effort to buy power feats let you keep them for the whole encounter.  But hey, that was half the point of this game; I wanted a learning experience, and it's really been one.  So let's see how the squishy dream demon holds up, now that its primary protection is negated.

Toughness: 1d20+4 12

Yep, that seems about right.  And as you may've guessed, Baku isn't remotely human and is quite evil; given that it's essentially a demon, I don't think the forum's nonlethal rules apply.  In light of Presto's earlier discussion with Warne about using minimal force to bring down the thugs outside, versus how he's using blasts of fire now, I assume he's fighting to kill, yes?  If that's the case, then Baku is now Dazed, Disabled, and Staggered, which means it gets no action this turn. 

What it does get is a whole lot of Knockback.  9 points of it, in fact, given that Baku is a Small creature.  That's 500 feet.  Presto hits Baku so hard that he throws him out of the basement (he's Insubstantial, after all, so the walls neither damage him nor stop his rapid, unintentional exit).  So, even though Baku can't do anything this round, it has technically "escaped" combat, unless Presto wishes to pursue.  He is perfectly free to do so, especially given that he can Teleport (he's seen enough of the property to Teleport to the back yard, near the small pier, where he's pretty sure Baku would've ended up). 

Adept attacks Bailey with his psychokinesis; he can't miss, but Bailey can try to resist.

Toughness: 1d20+13 31

And he does, shrugging off the damage with barely a thought.  That ease, plus the fact that he just watched Presto turn his boss/Stockholm Syndrome friend into a piece of crispy dream bacon, is going to make him keep swinging at Presto.  He'll go for an All-Out Attack, in fact, to raise his accuracy (he doesn't have the feat, but forum rules allow anybody to use these kinds of trade-offs up to +/-2 points).

Attack: 1d20+9 22

Looks like he would've hit anyway.  Roll Toughness, DC28!  Furthermore, because of Extraordinary Effort, Presto is now Exhausted!

Name       HPs   Initiative    Damage                                          Status Conditions

Adept        1       30                None                                                None

Bailey        N/A   16                None                                                None

Baku         N/A    9                  Dazed, Disabled, Staggered            None

Presto       3       5                  None                                                Ability Drain (Wisdom, -5), Exhausted

I've just browsed the rules a bit, and it looks like you can, in fact.  Most HP spending is a reaction, so you can do it even when it's not your turn.  Though I think you'll need two instead of just one, to bring Presto back up to full strength (otherwise he'll just be Fatigued, unless I've missed something; feel free to correct me). 

Please do have the fluff of your post match the mechanics somewhat; a burst of heroic vigor would be appropriate from Presto, in whatever fashion you feel is most fitting.  Maybe blowing away Baku just really cheered him up. 

That's just fine. I'll spend two Hero Points as a reaction so that Presto can roll his Toughness at full strength. This leaves me with one remaining Hero Point, just in case.

Toughness Save: 1d20+10 12.

Which is good, because it looks like I'm going to need it.

I'll await your ruling on damage before I take my turn, if that's all right.

Edited by Sophistemon

...Ouch.

Well, I've already told you what the DC was, so you can probably guess what kind of trouble Presto is in.  The rules say that if you choose to spend a Hero Point and reroll, then you're supposed to do so before hearing the result your original would've gotten you.  I'll let it slide since it was my fault, giving away the DC in an effort to save time, if you want to use your final HP.

If you don't, then Presto failed by 16 points.  That's...not good for him.

No doubt about that. Okay, boys -- let's see what we can do when we rub a little magic on it.

Toughness Save Reroll: 1d20+10 29.

Abra-ka-freaking-dabra!

I beat it by one. I tell you, the dice can't decide whether they love me or hate me.

Okay, I want to take Alton alive -- clearly -- so let's open up the final battle with a Snare.

Elemental Snare (Earth): 1d20+10 27.

Not bad! That's a DC20.

Edited by Sophistemon

Definitely a hit.  Let's see if he can slip out of it.

Reflex: 1d20+8 11

xD  Yeah, that looks about right.  Bailey is now Bound and therefore largely helpless.  Not that that stops him from trying to break free on his next turn.

Adept will delay his action until seeing whether or not the big bad monster can escape.  Bailey will try to rip his way out of his bindings, which means you need to make a Toughness check on behalf of the Snare (his Strike is almost powerful enough to automatically escape as a standard action, but not quite).  I'm on the fence of whether or not his Strike should require freedom of movement, since it's mostly based around his two extra-long arms, so I'll say that he takes his move action to Shapeshift a bunch more bone-blades all over his body, and then thrashes about with his standard action, effectively taking up his whole turn.  So make that roll for me and then I'll do the IC update accordingly.

Also, Presto may or may not realize that Baku might've survived his attack, and will soon have (on its turn) overcome the Daze condition.  I've gone ahead and removed it from the chart, since that'll happen by Presto's next action anyway.  If he wants to try catching the dream-demon before it inevitably turns invisible, takes an animal form, and flees, then his window of opportunity is slipping away.

Name       HPs   Initiative    Damage                                          Status Conditions

Bailey        N/A   16                None                                                Bound

Adept        1       15                None                                                None

Baku         N/A    9                  Disabled, Staggered                        None

Presto       0       5                  None                                                Ability Drain (Wisdom, -5)

Hah, we have just the best luck.  So that's a fail by 15 points, which shreds the Snare to bits.  Adept will try his psychokinesis again; let's see if it's any more effective this time.

Toughness: 1d20+13 30

Nope, Bailey barely even feels it. 

I'm going to just remove Baku from the chart, to clean things up a bit; he has effectively escaped to plague Presto another day.  Congratulations on your first long-term enemy!  Give me a minute to write up the IC post, and then it's Presto's turn again.

Bailey        N/A   16                None                                                None

Adept        1       15                None                                                None

Presto       0       5                  None                                                Ability Drain (Wisdom, -5)

Definitely a hit.  Let's see if it sticks.

Toughness: 1d20+13 28

Oh come on, Orokos.  Stop favoring the villain!  Bleh.  Anyway, normally I'd want to switch up his targets a bit, but since A) Adept has yet to attract his notice, and B) Presto repeatedly humiliated him and torched his boss, I think it only makes sense for Bailey to take another swing at the flashy, confident wizard. 

Attack: 1d20+7 19

Whew!  He just barely misses.  Adept does his usual thing yet again (and if Bailey easily makes his check this time, I'm gonna be tempted to have the psychic just bring the ceiling down on him).  Perception-based telekinesis as usual, with no need for an attack roll.

Toughness: 1d20+13 15

Freakin' finally.  That's a failure by 10, which means Bailey is Staggered and Dazed.  No action for him next round, and he's limited to one action instead of two, once he shakes off the cobwebs (not that he needs to move around much at the moment to still hit either hero, with his super-long arms).  Back to you!  Can Presto bring home the win?

Name       HPs   Initiative    Damage                         Status Conditions

Bailey        N/A   16                Staggered, Dazed          None

Adept        1       15                None                              None

Presto       0       5                  None                              Ability Drain (Wisdom, -5)

Indeed so.  And his response is...

Toughness: 1d20+13 18

That's a Bruise and a Daze.  I don't think Daze conditions overlap, but at least he's slowly losing Toughness.  That concludes this round, Bailey loses his next action due to Daze, and then Adept takes another mental swing.

Toughness: 1d20+12 17

Another Bruise and Bailey is still Dazed!  He's not down yet, but he'll lose another action next round.  Back to Presto!

Bailey        N/A   16                Staggered, Dazed, Bruised 2          None

Adept        1       15                None                                               None

Presto       0       5                  None                                               Ability Drain (Wisdom, -5)