The Baron frowned, before his face fell a bit.

"Unless this is a two-for-one deal for them. What if there's something in the ruins they want, and they're also stealing all our tech at the same time? Who knows what sort of strange ancient thing is down there..."

He trailed off as the craft started moving in to the shore where they were, before swearing in Swedish.

"We've got a presumably-hostile craft incoming. We're pulling back, now."

With a thought he muted his microphone and turned to the students, his voice ringing out clearly and authoritatively.

"Right then everyone, back to the bunkhouse. Now. No delays."

He gave the adults a significant look that communicated the urgency of the situation.

Now if he could just find a place to change.

• 4 weeks later...

That settled it. No way Ironclad could stay underwater and watch the drones if people on the shore were in danger. She marked her position on her HUD and then jetted towards the surface of the water. Her systems painted the target in the air and she exited the water in classic form, both fists extended and thrusters turning her entire body into a sledgehammer. Very powerful, and not very agile. At the last moment the craft veered off, and before long both the aircraft and the armored heroine were circling over the water.

On the shore, the students and soldiers were both scrambling for the vehicles. The students made the truck and either climbed up onto the bed; the soldiers formed up around the vehicle and turned to face the air, scanning for the enemy. The professor and the UNISON agent made it to the sedan, and the professor grabbed the driver's seat. Before long, the sound of the engine flooded the air, and then began to stutter and cut out. The Baron immediately realized that the car's engine was flooded. It seemed the civilians weren't going anywhere soon.

For a brief moment, the Baron considered slipping off to change into his armor. But there weren't a lot of spots available. Still, the truck was loading up fast. Perhaps he could hop in the sedan and get out later...

And then the sedan stalled out. He cursed under his breath in Swedish and ran over. He shouted as he did so.

"Pop the hood and don't try to turn it over until I give the signal!"

Perhaps miraculously they listened, and he was able to all but slam the hood open, his sleeves already shoved up his arms. Almost immediately, he was tweaking things in the engine. At one point he gently pulled a fuel line and let a bit of gas drain before reconnectiong.

Then he took a single step back...and hit the main engine block with a respectable kick!

"Turn it over now!"

He just hoped percussive maintenance continued to do its part in engineering.

• 4 weeks later...

Farber gunned the engine, and Katastrof could see his white-knuckled grip on the steering wheel. This time, the engine caught and roared to life. Aita opened the rear door and fixed his eyes on Kastastrof. "Baron, get in the car!" The agent's words rang oddly, and for a moment the whole world went dim and distant, tunnel vision cutting out everything between Katastrof and the car.

The effect was shattered when the flying wing roared overhead, fast enough and close enough to rip the tops off the pavilions. The elongated wing cut into the ground, raising a furrow of dirt and salt spray; in its wake was Ironclad, who chased it away from the group and back into the air. The pair gained altitude again, sparring, the armored heroine keeping the vehicle from approaching the ground again.

The Baron couldn't help but give a whoop of joy as the car finally started. He turned at the Agent's words. For a moment he almost shook off the command, wanting to help Ironclad...

But then they were buzzed by the flying wing, and he decided that the car was an awesome idea. He slammed the hood down and dashed to the open door, all but diving in, activating his earbud as he did so, to get back in contact with Ironclad.

"Ironclad, we're mobile again! We're pulling out now, I'm in the car with the others, no one's left at the site!"

As he was talking he signaled that the car should get moving, and quickly.

• 2 weeks later...

Once the vehicles were out of the line of fire, Ironclad felt safe to unleash more devastating weapons on the slashing, pirouetting craft. Blowing it out of the sky only solved one problem, though, and the day quickly unfolded into a myriad of other problems.

The setting sun set fire to the edges of the Hercules' wings as the last of the computer equipment was rolled aboard. Amid the packed PCs were a pair of crates labeled DRONE MISC., all that the inventor had been able to salvage of her piloted units after she had ripped them apart underwater.

Sighting, Jessica turned to Doctor Farber and Agent Aita. "I'm very sorry again, Professor," she said. "I don't have any idea why the drones tried to bury the temple again. If that darn aircraft hadn't attacked maybe..." She shrugged, feeling helpless.

Farber sighed, polishing his glasses. "I do not hold you responsible, Miss Parker. I'm sure that whoever attacked us would have come up with some other way to stop the dig. At least this way, no one died. And we know the temple is still down there, buried under the silt, waiting to be dug out." He squinted at the cargo plane. "I'm surprised you're leaving so soon, though. You won't even stay the night in Tel Aviv or Degania Alef?"

"I want to get home quickly," she said, still watching the loading process. "I need to analyze the data still on the drones and figure out who was behind this attack, and the best place to do that is the Lab." She turned and flashed a smile. "Don't worry. With any luck, I'll be back before the year is out, to help dig that temple up again!"