Moving Day (IC)

Aoiroo

October 24th, 3:24PM

Etain had a problem, a very specific problem. She could no longer get in her dorm. When she returned the previous night, she couldn't open the door. She had to fly towards the window to see into it, and she saw alright. Her dorm was stuffed with her stuff, well more of her stuff. Four trunks of clothing, two full bookcases and the queen sized bed she slept on when she stayed at Mr. Richards house were all crammed into the tiny dorm room. It was no wonder she couldn't open the door. Guess it was true she no longer had that support, but apparently her mom made a gift of the material things given to her.

This solution left her with a unique proposition to a friend whom she regrettably never spent very much actual time with outside of an occasional battle. Sitting in the hallway in the outfit she had worn the previous day Etain waited for her with her nose in a book she had already finished to pass the time.

Vicky was on her way back to her form from the final class for her day, looking forward to hopping on her computer and finishing the inking on the second page of a comic she'd been working on for the past few days. She'd made the effort to walk rather than teleport directly to her room so she could enjoy the cool Autumn air and the view of the changing leaves across the campus.

As she left the elevator and walked towards her room she saw Etain sitting in the hallway, reading. She didn't catch the title of it. "Afternoon Etain. Not really any of my business but... wouldn't you be more comfortable in the lounge? With real chairs and the like?"

Etain looked up from her book and smiled brightly

"Why hello Victoria,"

She rose from the floor, her skirt hiding her feet so she went from slumping to straightening her skirt.

"Yes, the lounge is rather comfortable, but I was actually waiting for you. You see there has been a complication, because of certian circumstances I have been forcefully moved out of my previous benefactors home. The move was rather sudden, and by means beyond myself, all the things I had at my previous guardians house are currently residing in my dorm room. Which as of right now leaves me unable to enter."

Vicky nodded, "Gonna go ahead and guess magic was involved in the sudden extra-packing of your room, am I close? Also, how much stuff are we talking about here? A couple bookshelves dropped haphazardly in front of the door keeping it shut or more like the walls are being stretched outward due to the sheer volume of stuff?"

Vicky slid her bag off her shoulder and dropped it on the ground next to Etain's door where it thudded solidly, a sign of just how many books the girl was carrying. "I'll see what I can do to at least get your door open. If I have to bring things out of the room, there anyplace nearby you want them dropped off for safe keeping?"

Etain kept her smile,

"You are correct in that assumption, and while their are bookshelves, that is not the only problem I am afraid. There is a bed much too large for the room and several very heavy trunks as well. It is literately everything I own in this world in one room, and I am honestly surprised that it all even fit."

She glanced at the door,

"As for transportation, there is a talsiman in my room that serves for a beacon for long range transportation to Parkhurst. If I can get all the stuff seperated, I should be able to take it bit by bit to the house. Though it may need to be taken off campus first, there are several protection spells on Claremont, and it may interfer with the transport which for teleportation magic is never good. I really do not feel like losing anything along the way, especially if it happens to be attached to my person."

"Lemme take a look," Vicky said before vanishing in a plume of white and crimson smoke. She reappeared balancing on the windowsill outside Etain's dorm room. The illusionist wasn't kidding about her room being overfilled. Noting the giant bed as the biggest obstruction, she teleported again, landing on the bed.

After landing she rolled off and called through the door, "Okay, I'm going to move the bed down to the rear lawn, that should at least give me enough space to get the door open."

Etain heard the little puff that came with her teleports into the room and the talking,

"Alright then, thank you very much for helping Victoria."

She really was grateful, she had no way of knowing any other practical ways to move the bed in particular through the door as it was much too large, everything else well she wasn't very strong and it would be very tedious as she could not hire anybody to do it for her or one of those trucks that store things for travel.

Vicky quickly set her words to action and inside of two minutes the bed was sitting down on the lawn with the large trunks sitting up against it. After slowly moving a shelf stretched to almost groaning with books away from the door she opened up for her fellow Irregular. "Took a little more moving and finagling than I suspected. Those trunks are downstairs too. On a side note, you have got to tell me where you got your bed's mattress and if they make the model in a twin size. It's probably the most comfortable one I've ever sat on," the young teleporter said.

Stepping back her ruby on onyx eyes scanned around the room, "So your talisman, does it have much of a recharge time? And how much of a weight limit do we have to work with? Worst case I can make a series of five mile jumps with some of your stuff."

After opening the door she went over to the desk drawer and pulled it out. She took a good look at it,

"Well, it was only designed to transport people over long distances. It is a very nice spell, I could be on the other side of the planet and able to move back to Parkhurst, but I am not sure how it would far with additional cargo. I would guess maybe two hundred pound limit if I were to try since that would average out to an additional passenger."

She looked over at the book shelves then the trunks,

"I think I will try the trunks, however I do not know if I would be able to use anything much bigger then that. Could you take them to the school edge first, still a bit worried about interference from the schools protection spells."

Vicky nodded, "No problem. Worst case, if the limit is substantially lower, I can bring stuff over in short five mile hops from here to Lantern Hill." Vicky then vanished from Etain's room in another plume of snowy and scarlet smoke.

Once outside she gathered the trunks into a tidy pile and moved them several yards outside the North wall of the campus. To make things a bit easier, she went back and grabbed the bed too.

A minute or two after vanishing she reappeared and held out a hand to Etain, "And done. The trunks and your bed are off campus and likely outside of the wards. I can't tell for certain though, perhaps you can give the area a once over?"

Etain took her hand as they teleported to the edge, she took a quick scan on the area and saw the border,

"Yes, we are at the border, one moment."

She walked over and put a hand on the trunk and tried to teleport with it, however she just disappeared. No mist or smoke, just a disappearance. She reappeared a few seconds later,

"Okay, that answers that question at least. We may need to fix that for a later date, it would certainly be convinient."

She turned over to the teleporter,

"Sorry about having to trouble you for this Victoria, but it really was not something I was expecting to happen."

Vicky watched the illusionist simply vanish and let out a low whistle in her teammate's absence. She just marveled at how smooth the talisman-triggered teleport was, hardly a visual or audible sign to betray her passing.

"It's not a problem Etain," the teenaged teleporter said breaking into a slight smirk as she continued, "We don't spend much time hanging out when not running into each other in Chinese divine realms or beating up the avatars giant planet eating Medusa heads."

After a brief silence Vicky brought over the heaviest trunk with just one hand as if it weighed as much as an empty styrofoam cooler and she set it gently down next to Etain, "So, I know how much like a pickup line this sounds and I'm sorry but, read any good books lately? I noticed a small library on your shelves and I'm looking for something new to sink my teeth into, so to speak."

"I guess we do not, but that is more that our time is otherwise occupied, though I suppose with Morgan's leave of absense you might have much more time then myself to socialize."

She looked at the book shelves,

"You are welcome to borrow them, though I am not sure how much use you may get out of them, most of them are in Latin. Though I also have a couple of French novels as well since I was required to read them for the language courses, I am thinking of picking up some Spanish ones as well. Though, huh, I really have no regular income now do I. I guess I could ask Eve to lend me the money, but I would feel bad if it were to become a habit."

"Yeah, I've been pouring more time into the various comics and other art projects I'm involved in to fill the suddenly empty hours," Vicky sighed, leaning against one of the headboard's corner posts, her smile gone. "Craptastic timing, Janis, my dormmate, she's been all but a ghost around the room too. Feels like how things were back home," she muttered.

"Actually was just looking for a recommendation," she clarified glancing at the shelf. "I'm thinking of looking for something in Russian, I get plenty of verbal practice but I've let my Cyrillic slip a little."

Letting out a contemplative sound the teleporter nodded, "Hmm, yeah, that could be a problem."

"The Latin books are mostly magic books, I am not sure you can find those in Russian, however there is a specialty story at the local mall dedicated to foreign cultures. They also sell lovely saris, I have wanted to try purchasing one though that may be problemic at this juncture."

She scratched her forehead absently,

"I do not think I even have the proper paperwork to idenitify me as a citizen, let alone an employable person."

Really, she didn't have any paperwork. Up until now all her fiances were taken care of, and her cards were all under a different name. Now though, she would probably have to talk to the school, they probably had some program for such things, she wasn't the only person there that was dimensionally displaced. She was thinking for a second before she said,

"Oh, I have forgotten to mention the direction we are going. One moment."

She waved a hand and a large three dimensional map of the overhead view of the city appeared in front of them.

"We will be heading from here,"

A dot appeared at where she estimated there current location,

"To here,"

She pointed at the map and a different colored dot appeared where Parkhurst was located in Lantern Hill.

"I may have to make a stop over there sometime. And keep one on your Christmas list, who knows, Santa and his elves may bring some gifts by for the Irregulars in a couple months. Most of us have been pretty good. I know there's a queen in the Fae realms that might disagree but from my eyes, that just means John's getting a bigger gift."

"Well, with any luck you'll get less trouble than my mother did when she emigrated from Moscow. Then again, that was during the Cold War," Vicky half muttered towards the end.

Vicky nodded at the map. It'd been several months since she'd been to Parkhurst and the refresher was actually fairly helpful. "Neat trick," she commented with a smile, "Can you make a chess board like that?"

"Almost certain Santa makes his trip alone. I do not think I would appear on the list because of my circumstances, but then again he has been renowned for his thorough tracking and monitoring spells so I do not doubt he will visit if he deems we worthy. Though I hope the Parkhurst ghosts do not take too unkindly to him, they have had trouble with enities of power in the past."

She made the map disappear after she got a good list,

"I can make any game I want, and simulate reality like the goggles as well. I have actually made a room with similiar powers at Parkhurst that can be used for training."

• 2 weeks later...

Vicky's eyes gleamed and the wheels could almost be seen turning behind them. Pulling the first load close she commented, "I picked up an interesting book from my favorite game shop, at least my favorite in this time zone. Anyway, it's a set of rules for three-dimensional chess. Heavily Tolkein influenced but if you're interested, I could use somebody to learn how to play this variant with."

The young teleporter silently hoped Etain would accept, she certainly wanted to get some more bonding time with the pretty illusionist that didn't involve beating up villains.

"Well certainly, but I think we should focus at the task at hand. You do still have classes to attend this day I am guessing and the teachers are rather mindful of attendance if there is no true emergency."

She brought up the map again and started to put a couple of dots,

"Here are some safe points, they are roofs of various buildings that are not usually occupied during the day. Custos occasionally lands there so it has a good weight threshold."

• 3 weeks later...

"Of course, of course," Vicky said, "Though all I had left was study hall, nobody really seems to care if you're there or not as long as you're quiet when you are."

Stepping over to the bed she hefted it up with minimal effort, "Well, no time like the present. Sooner we get you moved in, the sooner I can delve into a book in study hall," she said with a small smile, the effort of holding onto the piece of furniture not even a little evident in her voice.

Recalling the dots on Etain's illusionary map, focused her will and in a plume of her typical bi-colored smoke, she and the bed had vanished.

• 3 weeks later...

Wisp didn't appear on the house grounds, but just outside it. The field around the house discouraged rouge teleportaers but it didn't matter terribly. At the gate was Millie, the ghostly maid waved Vicky over,

"You must be Victoria, Etain just left a message on the machine about your arrival. You should be asking her for the talisman the next time you come, I was able to keep the field from hostile action, but there is protections in place so nasties won't be popping in unexpectantly. If you would, bring the bed to the gate."

The moment the bed was on the grounds walked through the front gate more ghosts welcomed her graciously and tell her to go run along while they set up the room. Apparently Etain had conversed with Millie earlier and they had set aside the houses master bedroom to prepare for the arrival of Etain's stuff. Joe appeared to help and the ghosts floated the bed inside while Joe made comments about the carpetry of the bed with Millie pointing out the workmanship.

When Vicky reappeared at Claremont, Etain was sitting by her stuff waiting.

"Did you make it alright? I had nearly forgotten about the field in my haste."

Vicky set the bed down, rolling her shoulders once she was standing straight again, "Much appreciated. Would be just my luck, I do a favor for a friend and end up fried by a defensive measure. Well, we'll be back with more of her stuff shortly." A second after that she vanished in her usual cloud and made the series of jumps back to the school.

After landing she leaned against a dresser, trying to straighten her mildly tousled hair, "Your place's ghostly maid kept the defenses from doing anything worse that giving me a modest static shock when I landed. But, no harm, no foul. So, ready to get the rest of your stuff safely into your place?"

Etain nodded and they got to work. With the talisman in hand, there was no longer a risk of being fried by the defenses as long as they stuck together and were able to appear on the grounds then into the room. It was a large open room that had doors out onto the houses front balcony that overlooked the grounds. It fit all of Etain's things nicely and provided no trouble as any previous furniture in there was removed before their arrival. By maybe thirty minutes time they had gotten the shelves up, the bed in place, and Etain's large trunks of clothing set against a wall in a row for easy access. Millie puncuated their finish by bringing up sandwiches and iced tea which Etain ate while sitting on one of the trunks not wanting to get crumbs on her bed.

After a few bites she let out a breath,

"Thank you so much for the assistance Victoria. This would not of gone nearly as fast otherwise. Though I am not certain what to do at this juncture. I no longer have any funds, the event that have moved my things so suddenly have also stripped me of my original sponser. I am guessing employment would be the best option, though I suppose I would only be able to acquire some through the school. Then there is Eve, I am almost certain she will want to try and save me from this endeavor."

Vicky let out a small whistle at the room and the view, "Very nice. The house is a little bit on the creepy side but at least it doesn't remind one too strongly of the mansion from Resident Evil," she commented.

When they finished moving all of Etain's possessions into her room she picked up one of the sandwiches. "Thanks Millie," she said before taking a bite of the turkey, cheese, and mustard stuffed food. She washed the food down with the iced tea and leaned against the wall. "No worries, if my and Janis' room ever gets so full of stuff we suddenly can't open the door, I know where I'm coming for a bit of help," she said with a smirk. "Yeah, Mr. Summers can probably get you something. In this economy, any job is a good job."

"Well that is the thing, there are some hazards some jobs may provide to my health."

Like having to work with steel cookwear or counter surfaces,

"Also, I may need some help with interviewing. I do not have very many talents one may consider practical. Well not unless there is a demand for someone with knowledge in sword play."

She let out a sigh and leaned forward,

"It will be hard I suppose, but then again, if I were to go the easy route I do not think I would be very proud of myself. I turned eighteen just the previous day, and should be responsible for my own affairs. At least, I should try to be, especially with my parents being deceased or elsewhere."