The Charlston

Ozob

Johnny stood outside the door leading into the small apartment in little India on Freedom's West Side. For a moment, he hesitated, debating on whether to knock or not. Stalling, he checked over his clothes, a nice lightweight beige slacks and a white cotton button down shirt which hung nicely off his broad athletic shoulders, and decided again for the thousandth time that they would have to do. Which left him staring at the door in front of him.

Inside, he hoped, was the girl he had met at the Renascence fair. Who, beyond being very pleasant company for the afternoon, also seemed to do just fine while tangling with dragons. He still was stunned and surprised at how that had all turned out. Which led to him being here, on a Friday afternoon, at the door of a girl he had only met once and only had walked around the fair with.

"Well she did offer to teach you the Charleston..." he said quietly to himself.

If she was in, and if she hadn't been kidding, he had found a band that could play all sorts of swing pieces. That coincided with a dance hall which didn't mind renting the space for a few hours as long as they could have some of their own students practicing as well. Perhaps it was a little forward, but it had taken a fair amount of work to find Lucy and her small apartment, so he figured why not?

Searching archives of the city's papers as well as some internet work had uncovered scant little information on her. Although it narrowed down the areas she seemed to work in. Her home had been harder to find and required both some deduction as well as asking a lot of people in the area if they had seen a "pale, elegant, woman perhaps in her 20's". It had taken a couple of days and some greased palms, but he had a place and here he was.

The moment of indecision passed, and he knocked on the door hoping there would be an answer.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The door was opened by a little old Indian woman, who upon seeing Johnny, and without missing a beat called up the stairs.

“Lucy it looks like someone for you.â€

A familiar voice drifted down the stairs.

“Tell them I'm out.â€

The old woman sighed “They can hear you know.â€

“Well unless it Theda Bara tell them I'm not doing interviews.â€

The old woman looked apologetically at the confused young man. “I'm sorry she's been having a tough month†she dropped her voice conspiratorially “What with everything that happened last month...â€

Calling up to the Lucy “It's a young gentleman for your dear.â€

“Well why didn't you say just a minute...â€

There was a pause and the sound of someone scrabbling on the roof and then a pale face appeared over the roof of the three story brownstone.

“O Romeo, therefore art thou.â€

By the time that Lucy appeared at the window, Johnny was both confused and amused. He had thought perhaps he had the wrong place when the older woman had answered the door, but thankfully his efforts had indeed paid off.

"Hello my fair maiden," he replied with a large grin on his face. "I hope that you don't mind me coming unannounced, but after the debacle at the fair, I realized that I didn't have your phone number and didn't know where to get a hold of you. Besides, you did offer to teach me the Charleston..."

It was then that he realized that she was hanging over the roof looking into the apartment. Inwardly he chuckled, there was nothing about Lucy that was straight forward. Nothing at all. "...are you on the roof?"

She smiled a broad grin.

“Well your not exactly Theda but you'll do Johnny. And I like it up here on the roof there are great views, I may let you come up and see sometime.â€

There was a little hrumph from the little old lady in front of him.

“Sorry my landlady Mrs Ahluwalia doesn't allow “guests†up to my room. Archana would you be a dear and make my guest a drink whilst I get changed. I'm almost naked up here.â€

Mrs Ahluwalia lead Johnny to a meretriciously tidy room, and after ten minutes of light conversation about her daughter Padma, who seemed to be Lucy's employer, and her pride and joy her granddaughter Asha, Lucy appeared in the doorway.

She was dressed simply in a jeans and Freedom City Comets jersey, the kind of just thrown on look that takes at least well ten minutes to achieve.

“So how do I look?â€

It took a moment to recover from his shock at her replying that she was practically naked. She was so wonderfully unpredictable which was something he really liked. Her landlady was pleasant enough and he listened to her stories before Lucy appeared.

Johnny apeaised Lucy politely long enough before anwsering truthfully, "fantastic, if you don't mind me saying so."

He stood up as she entered and waited for her to come over, "I found a place that will do the charlston if you'd like to come show me. I think they'll do the swing and other things too. It's not too far and I'd really enjoy learning with you."

She sat a respectable distance from Johnny trying to be as lady like as possible, some old habits die hard.

“Mrs Ahluwalia I do believe you have other things to do now.†she gave the old woman a knowing look

“Ah yes I have that thing I need to do in the kitchen.â€

When the woman left Lucy gave a relaxed smile and sat back.

“She probably knows as mush about me as anyone, but its still nice to have the pretense of some privacy.†she smiled a friendly smile

“Ah my promised dance for the lovely dress you bought me...†she looked wistful “It's a shame about that dressâ€

“I would be honored to go dancing with you" she raised and eyebrow “And I'm sure you can teach me a thing or two yourself.â€

Johnny was both thrilled and relieved that she had agreed to go dancing with him. He had to admit that he had been looking forward to the opportunity. Hopefully one without giant scaled lizards crashing the party.

"That's great!" he replied with a smile that matched his pleasure. "Although, you're going to have to do the showing today. I can't say I know much about swing at all. I know some of the classics, but that's not one I learned. So if I'm teaching then we might have to try that another night."

"I'm sorry about the dress... it did really look nice on you. Although I think you'd make just about anything look good. We can probably replace the dress if you'd like. Even if I don't know too many medieval tailors, I'd guess something at Neiman Marcus would probably do..."

He paused for a moment, "So is Mrs Ahluwalia like your adoptive mother? Or Grandmother? You said she knows more about you than anyone."

“It seems like it sometimes dear.â€

Lucy rolled her eyes and pointedly ignoring the comments carried on.

“She not the only person who know what I am. I've never made of secret of exactly of who and what I can do.†she looked at him with her big coal black eyes “But she was a caring honest person who gave me a break when I needed it. When I first returned to the city I was homeless for a while. She and her daughter took a chance on me and gave me a roof over my head. This place is special to me for many reasons.†she wasn't quite ready to tell him the whole truth.

Lucy looked a little thoughtful for a bit and then broke into a wide grin

“But that’s enough maudlin. I've had enough to last me a lifetime, or two. Where are we going dancing, will I need to change?â€

"You meany who you are, right?" he asked rhetorically. Making the assumption that is was simply as slip of the tongue.

"So the place is called the Dixon Dance Academy and they have this awesome Jazz quartet there today. We can go there since I think today is an open lesson format..." what he didn't want to say was the preparation that he had made to get that quartet there or that it was open lessons since he had booked them for the next couple months. "You can show me how to do this Charleston thing and maybe even pick up some steps from the instructor too."

He looked at her jeans and jersey. He hadn't been lying when he told her that she would likely make anything look good. However, when they weren't doing ballet, the Academy was pretty casual for their non professional classes. "As for clothes, if you're comfortable in that, you can stay. They're not too picky. Really, I think you just need to be in something that's easy to move in."

Then leaning forward, he noticed her eyes for the first time. As she had come into the room he had thought they were just dark. Now, as he realized they were completely black. Yet far from detracting from her appearance, it just seemed to add to the allure that she possessed. He'd have to ask her about it some time.

"Anyway, they're just a few blocks down. We can walk if you'd like. It's a nice enough evening."

She let his comments go, not yet wanting to tell him the whole truth. Anyway he was cute and she wanted to just kick back and have a good time. Hopefully without any dragon or miscellaneous mythical creatures showing up.

“Well really to dance the Charleston you need a knee length dress. But I'm not sure you really want to wait a half hour whilst I pick something out.†she looked thoughtful and then broke into a broad smile.

“Though I'm going to have to change these.†looking at the sneakers she was wearing “I don't think I've ever danced in anything but heels.â€

After only a few minutes Lucy returned wearing a pair of black 2†heels.

“Okay let go.â€

"Well," he said with an impish grin as he rose from the chair, "I think the wait would likely be worth it. However, I'd also hate to have to miss out on dance lessons."

He called out to the other room, "thank you for your hospitality Mrs Ahluwalia, it was a pleasure meeting you."

Leaving the apartment, they stepped onto a narrow street which was festooned with all manners of color and ads heralding from India and Pakistan. Johnny had frequented several neighborhoods like this before as Emily had introduced him to various mystics and ethnic traditions. There was a vibrant life about the neighborhood as people went about their lives which was refreshing. Even the weather seemed to be cooperating, with the air crisp and clean carrying both a hint of sea air along with the musk of falling leaves and the turning of the season.

"You live in a wonderful neighborhood Lucy," he said as they walked along the street. "If you can't live some where with some character, then why bother?"

Taking a deep breath of the rich fall air he held out a hand to her, "May I?"

From the house Mrs Ahluwalia came striding determinedly pressing a small piece of paper into Johnny's hand.

“The telephone number for this house, for some reason Lucy still doesn't have a cell phone. Maybe next time you could come to dinner. This poor woman she eats nothing.â€

Lucy just stood there and look embarrassed.

“Yes well thank you Archana.â€

“Don't worry about coming home to early. And goodbye young man, it's been a pleasure.â€

Lucy smiled a little apologetically and put her hand into Johnny's. Despite the warm evening air

her hand was icy cold.

“Yes I've alway's loved this area, though it's changed a little since I was last here.â€

Johnny tucked the phone number carefully into his pocket as they started walking down the street. At least he wouldn't have to question half the people in West End to try and get a hold of her next time. Yet even as he marveled at his good fortune, he became aware of her cool touch.

It was such a shock since her skin and hands felt so flawlessly perfect. They fact they felt nearly like ice cubes made him quite concerned.

"Oh!" he exclaimed looking down at her hand, "Are you feeling okay? I mean... we can do this another night if you are not well. It's nothing that won't keep."

As he said this, he gently rubbed her hand between his, trying to get some warmth in it through contact and friction much like he would on a frigid day in winter.

She paused for a few minutes enjoying the feeling of this young man massaging her hands. How could she have been so stupid to forget that her skin was normally icy cold.

Then again she tended to forget having never feeling the heat or cold, she hardly feel the lad gentle caress of her hands.

She gave a broad happily smile, a genuine feeling hopeful this wouldn't spoil the evening.

“No, no I'm fine, actually better than fine. I have a... skin condition, my hands always feel cold. It's why I always seem so pale, it's not like I don't catch enough sun on that roof.â€

Johnny nodded, still rubbing her hand, "wow... I'm really sorry. However, if you're fine, well then it's okay by me. I'll just have to find you some mittens for when it bugs you."

Holding her hand, hoping she could feel the warmth, he began to lead the two of them to the dance studio. Staying to the sidewalks they passed local stores and apartments which housed the colorful mix of Indian and Pakistani cultures. The faint aromatic smell of curry wafted from more than one establishment as well the distinctive sounds of Indian music.

"Lucy, if I didn't say it already, thanks. You have to be one of the most amazing people that I've ever met. I feel pretty lucky to get to spend the evening with you. So you're not from here either... right? For me, this is all pretty new and totally not California. Still, I can't say I'd rather be back now. So what is home like for you?"

“Wow you are quite the charmer aren’t you?†she smiled broadly and blushed a little, though her skin hardly showed it.

She walked along for few moments taking in the sight and sounds of this vibrant part of the West End. Everything about Little India reminded her of these streets when she was younger, and long time ago.

“I'm a Freedom city girl born a breed. I was born a grew up in the West End. Had to stay someone else for quite a long time, but the West End is where I felt I've always belonged.â€

It was amazing really, he thought to himself, that she still seemed to drink the sights in like she had never seen them before, even if she had been away for a while.

"Well welcome back home... not that I should be welcoming anyone here yet. Still, I know what it's like to be away, and there really is nothing like your hometown. No matter how long you've been away."

They paused at a busy street corner, waiting for the light to change and the seeming endless stream of cars and Taxi's to pause. Moving with the crowd across the street, Johnny pointed down a couple of blocks. The buildings in this section of town were old, and brick, pressed together as if they huddled together for warmth on a cold winters eve.

While it was far to make out all the details, Dixon's was a narrow fronted shop with a quaint awning and well maintained facade. A stripped awning completed the front as well as an original gaslight from when this district was raised over a hundred years ago.

"You've probably passed by this place before. It's Dixon's Academy for Dance. They do ballet primarily, but have classes for other dances. You know Salsa, Rumba, Waltz. All the ballroom classics," he explained as they continued walking, moving with the crowds on the sidewalks.

"So since you're a home town girl, tell me what you like to do around here besides Jazz dancing? I'm still trying to get my bearing and could use some tips on the hot spots."

Dixon's pools hall? The guy was a bit of a jerk, and heavily tied to the local mob. He wouldn't have be at all pleased that his name was associated with this place. She smiled at the thought.

“Oh yes I remember this place, changed a bit since I remember it.â€

She watched the traffic for a few minutes, they still fascinated her a world away from the Model T's from her day's. Maybe she should learn to drive?

“Well I had a bit of a wild pass, though a doubt any of the club I use to frequent still stand. I had a taste for those of dubious legality. Now I mostly like to explore the city, I just love finding all those nooks and cranny of the city, those hidden gems. And I just love to meet new people.â€

She gave another of playful little smiles.

“Of cause it helps that I can look after myself. But I'm hogging all the time, what the story with you?â€

He saw the regonition cross her face and made the assumption that she had indeed been there. Good! He had chosen the spot in the hopes that it would be familiar and local. Some people needed to be comfortable when they danced, although he was doubting that she was one of them. In fact, given her mention of houses of ill repute, he wondered if there was anything that would bother her. Amazing. Truly amazing.

"Bah, not hogging... besides, I like hearing you talk," he said with a smile and a dismissive wave of his hand. "It's not often that a beautiful woman is content to tell me about herself and I'm not about to complain."

"But Me? My story? Heh, not really all that exciting," he replied. "This is my last year of school or first year of college. I'm not really sure how that all is working out. My dad has a thing for discipline and a head for numbers. Both of which he doesn't think I have, regardless of what I do. He's not really a bad guy and means well... but I'm not him. Anyway, he decided that before I'm off on my own, he'd try some fancy prep school out here on the east coast to keep me from going to USC and make me into some kind of Corporate person. Although I think the joke's on him as this school is nothing like anything I have been to before. Shame I won't be there too long, as I think I could have learned a lot from them."

They were within a block of the school as he asked her, "so what do you do? You have all of these amazing perspectives. I bet you have to have some kind of awesome job."

“I was lucky I wanted to follow in footsteps, and he was happy to help me achieve my goals.†a wistful look passed over her face “I hope he was proud of me, I never got a chance to find out.â€

The moment passed and her face lit up again.

“I heard bit and pieces about a special school in the city, met a couple of there best students.†she gave him a cheeky look.

“And by training I'm a lawyer, don't hold that against me.†a wry little smile “Though I'm trying to work out a few licensing issues before I could even think about returning to the practice. Right now I'm helping Padma with her business, all of it from simple legal advice to fetching and carrying. And you know what I'm enjoying it immensely.â€

"So like a legal assistant," he said. "Well that's all good. Besides, being a full fledged lawyer has got to be pretty stressful. I think what you're doing sounds a whole lot better for the soul."

He paused and picked up a stray plastic bottle, tossing it in the trash can nearby. One of the pleasant surprises of this section of Freedom was that it appeared that the people cared enough about their ward to keep it relatively clean even if it was a little worn around the edges.

"I know that I'm supposed to follow along my fathers footsteps and be some kind of business guru, but I just don't really have it in me. I mean I get the numbers, and I understand the concepts, but my heart's not really in it. I don't know, I'm just not really cut out for an office or a boardroom."

"Anyway, here we are," he said as the stepped up to the front of the studio. Jazz music seeped through the door and they could see couples and people whirling and moving inside. Johnny held the door open for her and said, "after you!"

Lucy laughed “Actually I miss being a fully fledged lawyer. I was lucky enough to do something that generally helped people. That's what I’ve always wanted to do. I guess that what I'm still doing, just in a different way.â€

She looked thoughtful for a second.

“Maybe it's good your not a businessman, sometime a company needs someone who thinks about people rather than the bottom line. Just think what good you can do for people with a company behind you? Just get a good business advisor behind you, one you really can trust.â€

Another hearty laugh.

“Not that I'm fishing for a job.â€

"Well fish away," he said with a smile. "I'd hire you in a heartbeat. Any lawyer that can back down a dragon is okay in my book."

"Although I do often wonder what good I could do with a company that insures insurance companies? It's kind of like that shell game where you try and guess where the pea ends up. He moves money around from one place to cover losses from another," he chuckled. "Don't get me wrong, it's more complicated than that, and he's really good at it, but they don't make things. They don't provide real people services. They help other insurance companies, and if I had to choose... well I just think there's something more that I could be doing."

He opened and held the door for her with a sort of abbreviated sweep of his arm to gesture her inside.

The interior of the studio was simple in it's design. Whatever had been here before had been gutted and a long hard wood floor covered the open area that ran nearly wall to wall. At the back of the studio was a raised platform which the band was currently doing their thing. Following Lucy into the studio, he smiled. They were indeed as good as their lead had said and the energetic music seemed to curl and reverberate through the small studio.

Even before they were fully in, Lydia, the owner stepped over and greeted them, "Hello! Good to see two new faces. We're doing swing and the Charleston. Step in and have fun!"

With a nod of his head, Johnny motioned to the dance floor and walked out with her. He didn't have any idea on how to proceed, but then again she did. So it was time to pay attention and learn.

“Now that a tempting offer, maybe I'll help you out. But I'm planning to return to criminal law someday soon. And just remember you can always use your profit to branch out into new markets.â€

She entered the hall looking around at the décor.

“Well it's certain changed since I was last here...â€

A broad smile crossed her face as the sound of the music.

“Beats a little slow but we can work with that. If you would indulge me a minute I promise to teach you the move.†she breezed past Lydia with a friend wave and hello.

Lucy closed her eyes and began to dance an energetic mix of arms swings, exagerated steps and high kick. She no longer heard the band playing only the sound of the old musicians of old speakeasies.

Lydia stood beside Johnny her mouth open in pure shock, when she recovered she turned to Johnny with a look of something like admiration.

â€Now there's something you don't see everyday. You partner there is dancing pure unadulterated 20's Charleston.â€

Johnny chuckled to Lydia, "believe me when I tell you that it's about the least surprising thing I've seen from her since we met."

Even as he spoke with the dance instructor, he watched Lucy move. She did it so easily, it was definitely something she had spent time doing before. He pondered her for a moment and all the mysteries she presented. Really, he should be trying to put two and two together because she was definitely more than she appeared. Which had been obvious from the day on the fair. Yet in the end, he came to the same conclusion that he had every time his mind wandered down this path; her past and life were her own until she wished to share them. Until then, she was a girl and one of the most interesting that he had the pleasure to be with in a long time.

"So you hired out us to teach... her?" Lydia said sounding a little confused as Lucy continued her dance.

Nodding Johnny replied, "kind of. I think I'm the one that needs teaching. I know a little of the classics, but that's out of my league. If we're ever going to dance together I just need to know how not to bruise her in the process."

"Oh well that I think we can do," she replied shaking her head. "Thank you for hiring the band, that was a nice touch. They're really good."

"Don't worry about it. Not to many places are teaching or playing this anymore. Finding a good one is kind of tough, so thank you for letting me open your studio for an hour every week."

As the band finished it's rendition of Muskrat Ramble with a wailing trumpet solo that finally wound down with the song, Johnny broke into applause both for the band and for Lucy. Actually, as he looked around, several of the couples had stopped outright to watch the newcomer demonstrate her stuff. To save her from embarrassment he stepped over too her.

"Okay, that might take me more than a lesson to pick up. You didn't say you were that good..."