Sunday Afternoon

Lone Star

September 18th, 2:44 PM. Weather, pleasantly warm.

Janis was outside in the fields behind her dorm, playing frisbee with her roommate. This was no ordinary game of frisbee, however. They made it a point to throw their shots as wildly as possible, and teleported to grab the frisbee. Janis threw a high shot that soared towards the trees, and she smiled gleefully. It was the day before she went back to classes, and all of her homework was done. "You got that one, roomie?" she shouted, while at the same time preparing for her return shot.

Vicky stood perfectly still as she watched the little plastic disc fly towards the tree. In a sudden plume of red and white smoke, she was gone from her previous position and falling from above the frisbee. She snatched the disc out of the air and flung it back towards her friend, making sure to check her swing. Last time she'd failed to do so..., well there was softball shaped hole in the football field's goal post.

A few feet above the ground she vanished again in another plume, reappearing in a relaxed leaning position against the tree. "Nice toss Janis," Vicky complimented. She watched her return serve sail almost seventy feet over the blonde's head.

It felt good to get out of their room for a little while. She was still collecting her portfolio for the upcoming meeting between her and Mona about getting published and panicking that her stuff might not be publishing ready.

Janis disappeared in a bolt of lightning, her body transforming into electrical energy faster than the eye could see. She stopped under the frisbee, and caught it with her feet. Thinking quickly, she grabbed it from between her shoes and hurled it back, the frisbee flying out, then headed sharply towards the Earth. "Crap! The wind got that one!" She said as she teleported back down to the Earth. It was good to spend time with her roommate- the two of them had been so busy with their respective classes that they hadn't really been able to see each other. "So what do you want to do after this?" Janis shouted.

"Dunno Jan," Vicky said after porting right into the path of the disc. She spun on her heel, grabbed it and in the same motion sent it flying back roughly in her roommate's direction. "Honestly, my plans for today had, until you suggested some frisbee, only included using the laundry machines down in the basement and maybe invite Morgan up to watch some bad movies together, mocking them relentlessly."

"My old gaming group, we had a tradition going back the past few years. The last weekend before summer break was over, we'd make our way over to Gino's East on North Wells and order a couple pies," she said, a small sigh at the end, "Much as I love it her in Freedom, sometimes I miss home."

Janis lifted a hand and caught it, not needing to use her powers. "Well hey." she said, her face wrought with concern. "We can both teleport, right? I mean, if you really wanted to head home today, we totally could. My Monday classes don't start until the afternoon anyway. What do you say?"

A lightbulb appeared over her head. "Oh wait!" she said, excited. "We can totally test out the hot rod I've been building! You'll love it, it's so cool! I made it myself!"

Janis lifted a hand and caught it, not needing to use her powers. "Well hey." she said, her face wrought with concern. "We can both teleport, right? I mean, if you really wanted to head home today, we totally could. My Monday classes don't start until the afternoon anyway. What do you say?"

"Normally, I'd say yes in a heartbeat. But I have a training session with Archer and the rest of the team in the morning. And if I ate enough pizza to offset how many calories I'd burn making the five-mile humps, questions might be raised. Questions that could be fairly uncomfortable for my parents," Vicky said. A part of her was sad she was missing on a tradition from her 'old life' but she'd gained so much from coming to Claremont, inwardly she told herself it was a small price to pay.

A lightbulb appeared over her head. "Oh wait!" she said, excited. "We can totally test out the hot rod I've been building! You'll love it, it's so cool! I made it myself!"

"Ah, so that's where you've been in the evening. Personally I'd thought you'd been going out with someone, I mean look at you," she said, indicating Janis' body. "You've got to have guys and girls all put throwing themselves towards you asking for dates."

The white haired girl walked towards her roommate, "Now then, about this hot rod. You build it in the same wing of the garage Cole built his motorcycle out of, or is we looking at a 'normal' ride? Just wondering so I can plan accordingly, like 'plan on reaching escape velocity' or 'quiet ride to the nearest place that serves good pizza'." She finished the comments with an easy smile and slung an arm over the Freedom local's shoulders, teleporting them to the garage.

Janis smiled at the comment about her getting dates all the time. "Well...I just haven't found the right person yet. There are plenty of good lookin' dudes around campus, but none of them really seem my type. Won't stop me from looking, though!" she said, giving her friend a thumbs-up.

The white haired girl walked towards her roommate, "Now then, about this hot rod. You build it in the same wing of the garage Cole built his motorcycle out of, or is we looking at a 'normal' ride? Just wondering so I can plan accordingly, like 'plan on reaching escape velocity' or 'quiet ride to the nearest place that serves good pizza'." She finished the comments with an easy smile and slung an arm over the Freedom local's shoulders, teleporting them to the garage.

"Oh, it's just a normal car. It can go plenty fast, but nothing quite so flashy as escaping the boundaries of the universe, or anything like that." She smiled as her roommate put an arm around her shoulder, then her eyebrows went up as she realized where she was taking her. "No, wait. The car's-"

"-at home. Let me finish my sentence before you teleport me to parts unknown!" she said in mock frustration. "Here- I'll take you to my place." Janis suddenly grabbed Vicky's waist with an evil grin and the two zapped off to Janis' house.

They landed moments later in a small house, and the lights flickered a little. "Hate it when that happens." Janis said, annoyed. "Lemme show you the ride!" She took her roommates hand and they ran out to the garage. Janis snapped her fingers, and the lights in the garage turned on, illuminating a bright yellow hot rod. With a bright smile, she opened the door and invited Vicky to sit down. "Check out the interior. I reupholstered the seats, and tricked it out with modern stuff, like a CD player and seatbelts. Always important." Janis snapped her fingers again, and the garage door opened for them. "Let's take it for a spin!"

Vicky pulled her suddenly frizzy hair back into a loose tail, "Remind me to pick up surge protectors," she said with a smirk.

Her eyes bugged a little at the car in the garage, "I'm not much for cars but damn, that's beautiful." She poofed from next to Janis, reappearing seated in the passenger side.

Pulling the seat belt across her body she called over, "So, where're we goin'?"

Janis smiled and patted the car lovingly. "Well, I was hoping we could-" she started, when the door suddenly opened. "Oh, hey Dad. Didn't know you'd be home. I was just showing my friend the car." Her father, an older man with very tired eyes, entered the room. He looked like someone who had seen much sadness in his life, and he sighed a little.

"Thank God it was you, Janis. I could have sworn it was a robber. You two just here for a little while? I could make you two something to eat if you'd like. I know how bad cafeteria food can be." He laughed a little to himself. "But uhh...have your classes been going okay, Janis?"

"They sure have. This is my roommate, Vicky. She's part of the reason I've been doing so well."

Her father smiled, and offered her a hand. "Nice to meet you, Vicky."

"A pleasure Mr. Jacobson," the younger girl said, taking the adult's hand. And she squeezed back, she checked her grip, no reason to crush her roommate's father's hand. "It isn't entirely my doing she's been running a solid A average though. I just try to help her focus during study sessions."

"Actually Mr. Jacobson, we were planning on a pizza run," she explained, "I mentioned something my old circle of friends used to do the last weekend before school started back in Chicago which lead to picking up the yellow monster and picking up a few pies. However, the offer is very much appreciated. Would you like us to pick one up for you while we're out?"

Her father looked surprised at Vicky's gripping power. "Quite a handshake you've got, Vicky. No, I think I'll be okay without a pizza, though. I was just warming up some soup. You two have fun, and stay out of trouble." He smiled at the two of them while Janis stepped into the driver's seat. Her father clicked the garage door opened and sunlight flooded into the garage. "Drive carefully, okay Janis?"

"I will, Dad!" Janis shouted back at him as she sped off. The car roared like a dragon and rode down the street at a quick, but not dangerous pace. "Woo! So where is this pizza shop, anyway? Just tell me where to turn."

Vicky made an exaggerated show of leaning forward in her seat, as if fighting against G-forces pressing her to the comfortable seat. "Good take off. Anymore 'oomph' in this thing and I'd have to make a pod racer joke," the young superhuman said, her snowy hair whipping behind her.

At Janis' request for directions she closed her eyes in thought for a second. "Okay, third light up ahead take a left. Two more blocks down take a right. About six blocks up there's a one-way street, we follow traffic and should hit the place. While we're in the area, there's a Best Buy within walking distance, wanna swing in and do some quick shopping?"

Janis smiled, and revved the engine as she brought the car to near light-speed. "Sounds like an excellent idea, Vicky!" They were there in minutes, the combination of Janis' breakneck speed and her incredible ability to handle a car moved them there faster than usual. She suddenly screeching to a stop in front of the restaurant, her tires squealing. With a grin to her best friend, she gracefully parked the car, with the precision and dexterity of an expert.

Janis stepped out of the car, and had a look at the brick building. "Well, I'm starved. Let's not waste any more time!" She skipped ahead, her shoes clicking against the concrete. Janis looked back with a smile. It was good to hang out with her best friend, but what she said before resonated with her a bit. Why haven't I gone on any dates yet? I'm cute!

The thought puzzled her for a moment, but she tried not to let it show anything was wrong. The two entered the restaurant, and by that time of day, it was practically empty.

Vicky unbuckled her seatbelt and had to resist an urge to teleport away from the monstrously fast vehicle before Janis started it back up for an extra run around the block. As they walked up to the door she pulled her sunglasses case from her pocket and slide the shades into place, handily hiding the unnatural colors of her eyes from casual glances.

"An excellent plan. I need to see if they've got one of those 'hungryman challenges' that you see on Man vs Food... I didn't get a chance at breakfast today," she said, her stomach rumbling.

After a quick scan of the dining area Vicky motioned for her friend to follow her to a booth in the back.

• 4 months later...

Janis followed her friend to a booth in the back, a brilliant smile on her face. She felt good, and genuinely happy. Her summer dress flowed behind her- green with a pink floral design. Damn, I'm hungry too. I hope this place has some good grub. Not that Claremont doesn't...but it is good to get out of the dorm for once.

She took a moment to look at the restaurant. "So what's good here? My powers have been burning a lot of calories, or so I'd like to believe." As if on cue, her stomach growled like a caged mountain lion. Her hands went to her stomach, and she almost gasped out loud. Oh. My. Gawd. I have a pauch! A pauch!!

Janis smiled, pretending like nothing was wrong. She needed to hit the gym sometime. "So, uh, want to be sparring buddies sometime?

Looking over the menu made a contemplative sound, "Well, I would have to suggest the buffalo wing pizza if you're looking for something with some heat. If you ever feel yourself getting a stuffed nose, order one of those and it'll clear up in a couple slices."

The white-haired teen smiled warmly, "Sounds like fun. We'll have to make some time for that. Or if you'd rather, there's always workout buddies. I find they're more fun when I have somebody to suffer with."

Janis gave her a big smile. "Well, with the amount of energy I regularly have pent up, I think working out with you would be a good idea. And buffalo wings on pizza? That sounds epic."

She drummed her fingers on the table, having another look around. One thing rattled around in the back of her mind, even now. "So how are things with Crow? You and him still "going steady?" Janis asked, pushing her blonde hair out of her eyes. If they're still together, maybe we could all go out for a movie sometime. I needs to start talking to the gorgeous supermen of Claremont.

"Should be, to quote everyone's favorite kleptomaniacal robot, 'fun on a bun'," Vicky replied, "And trust me, that pizza is beyond epic, just wish it came in deep dish," she started before catching sight of an all you can eat option she smirked. "Found my lunch," she said pointing to the option.

"They're going pretty well. I'll admit, we've made use of your absence from the room a few times for late night movies," she answered. "Thank God for Netflix, no risk of psychos wiring explosives to the door unlike that last time we tried for a movie."

Janis winked at her roommate when she mentioned them using her room. "Well, good thing my teachers have been so keen on giving homework the past few months. Not that that doesn't sound like a good time, but that does sort of change the whole roommate-privacy agreement. It's not a real agreement, mind you, but...yeah." she said, trailing off. "I'm glad I actually have time to go and hang with you, Vicky." she said, taking a sip of water. "I've been meaning to ask you..." she said, dramatically looking over her shoulder and behind her to see if anyone was listening.

"Are there any cute guys at Claremont?"

"Well, not like we've been doing anything beyond staying up too late and watching movies," Vicky said, some color rising on her face in embarrassment of what her roommate was assuming.

"I'm glad we've managed to get some time away myself. Our schedules don't mesh nearly enough," she replied.

Vicky pondered her friend's question for a minute before she replied, "Well, one jumps to mind but I don't know how well anything triadic would go. As for cute single guys, I do know one other guy. His name's Subito, he's a bit on my end of the nerd spectrum but I think you'd get along well."

"Next time I end up sharing weight room space with him, I can broach the subject of getting you two on a date if you'd like."

Janis blushed a little herself, turning her fair skin a distinct shade of red. "Mm, sorry about that. I was just joking around."

"And you're right." she said, taking a sip of water. "I do miss my roomie." Janis paused for a moment as her friend described Subito. Hmm, a nerd, huh? But he works out, so he's...a hunk nerd? How can this be?! A sweet smile crossed Janis' face, and she pondered for a moment what this weird fusion of nerd and jock would look like.

"Let's do it."

Just a few seconds after agreeing to the double date the waitress stepped up to the table and took their orders. Vicky passed their menus over and waited for the waitress to head into the kitchen.

Once they were alone again Vicky returned her roommate's smile with a slightly more mischievous one. "This should be a bunch of fun. And hopefully this one will have fewer hostage crises and doors that explode when someone opens them," she said through a slight laugh.

"And I promise, I'll try and keep from distracting your date with too much nerd-talk."

Janis cocked her head to one side. "Nah. You're good. I'll try my hardest to keep up." Her eyes wandered around the room as her attention went to something else. While she spaced out, she thought. Although she was eager to agree to the double date, she actually was incredibly nervous. On the outside, Janis was incredibly outgoing and hyperactive, she was still a bit apprehensive about meeting new people. Especially if those people were going on a date with her.

She laughed nervously a bit, and took another sip of her water. "So tell me a bit more about Subito?"