Cats Paw (IC)

She took another wiff,

"I have no doubt in my mind of it's quality."

Letting out a sigh, she let herself drop onto her hands into a hand stand. Walking on her hands she positioned herself right in front of him and with pinpoint accuracy, let her feet fall forward to knock the cigerette out of his hand and onto the ground before turning to look at him.

"Dude's a history nerd, there are three seperate libraries on the first floor filled to the brim with history books of all kinds. Also, he has the decorative style of Atila the Hun, I have never seen more freaking knives and blades in one place, and they all look battle ready."

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lord Steam narrowed his eyes slightly and removed the now empty cigarrillo holder slowly. He carefully placed it back in the beautifully engraved case, and snapped it shut harshly in front of Carrie.

In any case, his irritation at his lack of nicotine was considerably ablated by the news of Nates interest in weaponry.

"Hmph. Well that is interesting..." he conceded. He gazed up at the window.

"Hmmm, I wouldn't mind taking a peek, seeing if I can take any samples, clues and so forth, back for analysis. Fingerprints, ec-set-ter-rah, ec-set-ter-rah..." he said, stroking his chin. "In any case, this Nate's seems a most dark character. Suspicious, yes. Dangerous, no doubt!"

He paced up and down, gesticulating wildly.

"But nothing to pin on him... yet!"

"Yeah, no, this house is rigged with security left and right. If I wasn't just absolutely excellant at disappearing, I would of been caught on tape, you wouldn't last five seconds in that house unless you have a good reason."

She looked back at the party,

"Look, see if you can't butter the dude up, or at the very least get him to give you a tour if you really want a look. This dude has a lot of stuff, I'm sure if you word it right, he'll tell you all about it."

Walking over to the wall she gave a little jump and pulled herself back up on the edge,

"Now, go ahead and get back to the party, they may not notice me missing in action, but you're a lot more distinguishable, even in this crowd. Also, know it wasn't intentional this time around, but if you ever smoke those things around me again, I'm gonna knock you out and throw them into a fountain, you have been thoroughly warned."

"Very well, champagne it is!" said Lord Steam defiantly and strode back in, determined to indulge in one socially accepted vice or another, since he was being bossed about so.

Immediately swigging a glass of champagne on entry, and grabbing another he marched up to Nates and flamboyantly started up the conversation again.

"I say Nates old chap, you know, I had a think about what you said and it strikes me you were bang on. Absolutely bang on! and you know, I wouldn't half mind a closer look at your collection if its all the same. To gain some inspiration so to speak."

Nates gave Lockwood a smile,

"Excellant, I am sure you can greatly appreciate it."

He led Lockwood into his house moving the cooridors expertly as chattered over the various weapons he had on display. Each one had a story, each one had a history, and he was very enthusiastic about it. Which was good, because it gave Carrie full warning of his arrival as he started towards the library she was searching through. Panic wasn't really what she was feeling, though she had, less options than usual as the bookcases were literately built into the wall so no slipping behind them, the desks were off them completely. However the hardwood was covered with a thick rug, which she could easily fit under, and she really really did not want too. Instead she looked up at the ceiling,

Maybe if I could....

It was about six seconds later when Nates entered the room room chatting it up before moving across to the bookcase to get some of the nicer scotch he kept in there for his guess. Absently he looked towards the ceiling but saw no trace of anything, though if one were too put there ear to the rug, they'd hear faint cursings that were otherwise muffled by the rugs weave.

Lord Steam nodded enthusiastically as Nates showed him the weapons collection. He was somewhat concerned as Nates lead him right towards the area (he presumed) Carrie was methodically searching - however, he was astute enough to realise Carrie was competent. More than competent when it came to hiding. In that area she was quite unparalleled.

Nates was bright enough, in his estimation. Suggested by his wealth and position, confirmed by his excellent memory in recollection of every story with every weapon. Obsessive traits perhaps?

He did, he acknowledged, have good taste, too.

The man was certainly a fit for an art thief, but dammit, he needed evidence. That was probably Carries department, who was no doubt concealed somewhere. He hoped she had found something. They needed to get a crack in the case.

Move you're feet you heavy s....

Carrie began to curse over the weight pinning her down when ever they stepped on the rug, so much so that she started to try and find some cracks in the hardwood. It was a stretch that there was anything under but she thought anything was better than having to breath in the god awful dustiness of this old rug. It was about than that she found a crack, not only a crack, a running crack which moving her hands down into had at least a foot of space in on it. Inching slowly while trying not to put any rise in the rug, she started to slip through it until she found herself fall. Quickly correcting herself as she slipped through the crack she took a gasp in the stale, but not as stale as the rugs air as she pulled herself up the stairs into a sitting position.

Wait, stairs?

Feeling around in the darkness she moved herself up slowly and found that she was in fact on stairs, and as she moved her hand up she found a latch.

A trapdoor? So, some sort of storm ceiler?

She felt around some more, it was pitch black and she really wished she had her mask so she could see at least the outlines of things but she treaded quietly down the stairs searching the walls all the way down for a light switch.

GM

Nates was very into his history, in fact while he was halfway through explaining how some of his collection were geniune bayonets from the first world war, he barely noticed the little red light on one of the intercoms. He still stopped reluctantly to go over and press the button,

"Yes,"

"Code S1II, how would you like to proceed."

Nates scratched his nose a little bit before looking at Lockwood,

"I am so sorry to cut this short, please, go enjoy the rest of the party."

He led Lockwood to the door before waving him away and closing it behind him and walking over to the intercom and pressing the button again.

"I want all members not stationed at the party in S1, and I want a pull on all recent feeds."

Letting out a sigh, he walked over and locked the door and drew the blinds before pressing a button and watching the carpet pull backwards as the automated trapdoor.

Lord Steam politely left the room but was all ears. Code S1 II heh?

He came to a few rapid conclusions.

In all likelihood, he concluded, Carrie had - as skilled as she was, tripped some alarm or another. And probably hit a nerve.

Secondly, the fact that there was a "Code S1 II", that somebody had mentioned it to him, meant that in all likelihood Nates was not alone in his misdeeds. How complicit his associates were was of course something to be established. It was unlikely that "Code S1 II" meant a security breach and the man on the intercom was a straight forward security guard. A simple "there has been a security breach" would have done in that case. And the subterfuge with Lord Steam would not have been necessary.

Pondering these matters, he heard a clicking sound from the room he had left. A door? or something like it anyway.

He turned round and peeked through the keyhole. Nothing he could see. And he couldn't hear Nates. Carefully, he opened the door as quietly as he could, and peeked his eye through. A little further. Then he saw the mechanical door...

His can in hand, he crept forward after Nates....

Carrie was pretty much stumbling in the dark, and there was no light switch so naturally, she instantly noticed when there was a light source available from the way she came. She had to stop herself from turning flat than and there and instead tried to find regular cover instead. Honestly if someone was coming down, they probably figured out she was there, and if there were cameras down there (which was possible as she wasn't able to check) she wasn't going to blow turning flat on film.

Steven Nates was a bit irritated, one because someone had found his hidden section of the basement, two because if they got there they had pretty much bypassed the rest of the security in his house to do so. The infared camera had caught a glimpse of them which meant that they weren't that good, but than how in the world had they gotten past the rest of his security. No matter, his staff would be down soon enough.

• 2 weeks later...

Lord Steam followed Nates down, apparently unnoticed. The man seemed a little vexed, too vexed too notice the sleuth behind him. The fact it was dark probably helped. Or hindered, given he could put a clumsy foot anywhere.

Whatever the case, there was more to the Nates abode than the met the eye. And he would not be surprised if Carrie had found her way down here too. He just hoped she was alright...

Peeking out from behind the whatever it is she was hiding behind she glanced over and saw Lockwood. Supressing a sigh she saw Nate move through the room and move to the wall and quickly shut her eyes as the room lit up. The long underground room was sort of like the other pieces in the house, however the difference which Carrie could tell is that a good bit was weapons that were banned from private owners. She didn't recognize most of it, she did recognize the flamethrower though. Drifting through, she found her eyes leading to a platform which had the jade cat just standing there, sort of out of place in all the killing devices.

What the hell?

The man has an arsenal down here!

Lord Steam kept to the shadows, but could see the racks of weaponry. What was this man doing? preparing for world war II?

There was now no question that Nates was up to something no good. Quite what is was was another matter. And the then there was the legal angle: Steam hardly knew the laws of this backward colonial dimension - a child at school here would be better informed than he was. For all he knew, having your own personal armoury was perfectly legal - the Free Texan state of his dimension allowed the carrying of firearms. Perhaps not on this scale, but still...

In any case, he needed to know more. Pressing himself to the wall, he continued to watch Nates...

Steam continued to observe, and as Nates move, he caught a glint of light...

the Jade Cat!

Even in the dim light, he could make it out, his eyes now acclimatised to the gloom. This was the proof he needed. But wait, there was more. Next to it, a raised pedestal with a book so ancient it looked like it would fall to dust by even looking at it. Most curious. Was this some kind of obscure cult? a ritual?

Lord Steam was more scientist than philosopher, but he was no fool. Cults and religions were of interest, if nothing else because they tended to attract a certain exotic, if rare, kind of crime.

His quiet observation was disturbed by the sound of footsteps. He gripped onto his cane and pressed himself into the shadows. There was little else to be done - and violence might be his only recourse...

GM

While Lockwood was hidden from Nates, he was clearly visible from when the security came down the stairs,

"There!"

Nates turned to see Lockwood,

"What are, is this the intruder?! I was just talking to him."

The guards looked at Lockwood,

"No, the shape on the infared was definitely more feminine though we lost sight once the lights were on. Your orders."

Nates looked at Lockwood with a second than walked away,

"Find the intruder and kill the interloper, no need to be clean about it, we can stage a fire in the guest quarters to cover it up."

Steady on! thought Lord Steam to himself.

The crack of firearms signalled the end of all civilities. One bullet whistled through through the air past his ear. Another sunk into his bullet proof vest, sucking out his lungful of air and filling his eyes with the red mist of pain.

Not again... he thought to himself. But at least he had invested in some undercover armour this time.

He forced his long legs into actions and sped towards the bodyguards. "That't just not cricket, chaps!" he yelled, adopting the classic baritsu pose, and whipping his cane around to counter attack.

Carrie moved into the fry almost immediately aiming a hit at the nearest guy. Though it connected, it wasn't subtle and she got attention of pretty much everyone else. She could avoid some of the fire, but not all and got nicked in the shoulder.

How does every incident so far with this guy end with me getting shot.

Letting out a grunt she moved over as she looked towards Nates holding his pistol while his guard covered him completely.

Someone has some well paid help.

The thug infront of Steam was no stiff - he was a trained fighter, with a fighters reflexes. Perhaps Steam had been to confident - but the two men got caught in a scrappy clinch without the cane connecting.

He pulled away, and knocked the pistol arm to one side with his other arm. Fighting such a trained opponent, he decided to focus his mind to action rather than words. A swift distracting kick unbalanced the man slightly and his cane cracked against the man with snake like speed, sending him reeling.

He took a moment to assess the situation... the odds where mounting, but Carrie was fighting like a banshee too.

And what was Nates up to...!

Carrie kept up and managed to duck out the next hit by the guard. Half glancing at the one that Lockwood unbalanced she finished the job by sweeping him up and tossing him up and over her shoulder at the other guard taking them both out. Nates saw this and sort of retreated even faster running to the book by the Jade Cat with the guard following behind,

"You know, this beautiful creature never belonged in a museum. It was originally a piece of eight made centuries ago as imperial guards to the emperor of China. Now people just think it's a shiny statue to be gawked at, and once I knew, I could see it weeking, a weapon that no longer had a purpose."

Chanting in what sounded like very old form Chinese the cat began to glow. About the size of a lion, it began to move shaking it's head and letting out a deep growl.

"Now, why don't we see what it can do?"

Carrie looked from the guys and than to the now moving jade cat, she was going to have to fight a moving piece of art that probably cost more than what she was going to make in the next five years. Really there was only one thing she could think to say in this predictament,

"#$*&"

"I don't like the look of that!" pointed Lord Steam with a outstretched left index finger and a nod, indicating to Carrie the green animated Lion.

"But it seems we have caught our thief, and found our motive!"

He ducked a telepgraphed punch from the security guard. These guys were well trained, too well trained... they should be running for their lives at this point, what with a giant animated lion in their midst.

Once again, he brought up his trusty cane into the face of one of the security guards, hoping that he could even the odds a little...

"That's what you get from this!"

Carrie ducked from the guards as Lockwood moved and headed straight for the cat doing an impressive routine of front flips as a distraction before landing a kick onto it's shoulder which proved completely ineffective. Than Nate pulled his pistol out and shot a round at Carrie which was even more so.

"How about the fact that we have to deface a piece of art to stop it from freaking killing us."

Turning towards Lockwood she was caught off guard as the cat gained it's sense and swiped at her tearing into her shoulder.

Lord Steam winced as the Cat tore into Carrie, although he could see it wasn't too serious. Painful, however, that it did look.

Fired up, he gave the crumpled security guard in front of him a pounding blow with the handle of his cane, right on the head. Hopefully that would keep him quiet for the evening.

He stole a glance at the book...

There may be more than one way to skin this cat...

The guard crumpled under the impact of the cane, Carrie hardly noticed as she had the conidrum in front of her. Did she really want to destroy this piece of art? That lasted about as long as the thing tore into her shoulder. Than it was really just reflex. She moved forward and heaved down an axe kick in a high arc over the cat and into the base of it's neck. There was a sick crack, and the jade started to crumble under the hit but the cat continued moving, however more slowly it was. The assualt didn't go unnoticed by Nates or the remaining guard who turned their guns towards Carrie but missed by a mile.

Lord Steam looked at the remaining frenzied battlers. Carrie seemed a little bruised and battered, but was holding her own. He winced at the cracks on the beautiful lion.

That's no way to treat a work of art! he said to himself, wisely refraining from admonishing Carrie by speaking the words aloud.

He dashed over to the book Nates had been reading. He was fluent in a half dozen languages and hoped the ancient text was not written in anything too obscure...

The cat was still reeling from the last hit which gave Carrie ample time dance around it in a quick backflip before bringing down her foot one more time on the already cracking surface. The impact shattered the front half of the cat which crumbled to the ground. It took about about three seconds for her to start cursing and paniking over destroying a priceless piece of art.

In the meantime, Nates watching the fight immediately grabbed the book from the pedistal while his guard turned his attention on Lockwood by firing to keep his boss safe. Nates read out the tomb in perfect mandirin and as it glowed, so did the cat as it began to resemble itself.