From the Bottom of My Heart (IC)

Miss Americana gave him a dry smile. "Trust me, you'll be paying plenty just for the supplies, the research team, the transportation, the hospital stay... As for my own fee, I'll hang onto the marker, for now. Never know when I'll need a favor from a rich, moderately obnoxious guy who still cares enough about his family to swallow his pride and do whatever's necessary. I'm going to need a couple of days to assemble a team for this, I'll call you when I've got a timetable worked out. Let me know if anything changes, especially if her condition changes."

Magnus gave a shaky smile and a nod.

"Fair enough. I just wanted to make it clear I pay my debts. And I'll keep you up to date on her condition and so forth, as well as getting as many things arranged now as I can. Once you have your team, let me know, and I'll get things moving further."

He paused, a pensive look on his face. The determination set in, and he spoke.

"I would like to request that I be able to be at least somewhat involved in the...construction. If nothing else, I think I can help provide an excellent long-life power source with near-zero risk."

"I'll think about it, then see what I can do," Miss A told him. "My main concern right now is perfecting the digitization process and the equipment we'll need for that. She'll be all right if her consciousness needs to linger in a protected partition digital environment for a few months, but if we can't get her mind in the first place, we'll have lost her. All the robot-building will come after that. Why don't you submit me the specs for what you've got and I'll see how much tweaking they'll take to make them compatible with the systems I've been using, and we'll go from there?"

She looked towards the now-dark screen, sighed a little, then began gathering her papers and equipment."Nothing's guaranteed, in any case. All we've got is an outside chance that everything will fall into place just right and we can help her. Better than nothing, but still..."

"Fair enough. You're right to give things a priority order. I'll put it on the back burner for now. We...don't really have anything immediately useful for the transfer. I'll give you the contact information for my computer science division, just in case. And I'll send those specs over soon, too."

Magnus also went and gathered his things, having fully composed himself from his earlier moments of vulnerability. He took a moment to close his eyes, breath deep, and compose himself further.

"Your best is all you can do, in the end. You're trying, that's the important thing."

He started walking towards the door, before he stopped mid-stride and turned to face her again.

"Thank you."