The Sun Shines Night And Day (IC)

Electra

"Don't usually pay attention to holidays," Trevor explained in an embarrassed tone, furrowing his brow as he raked his mind. "Flowers? Usually likes practical, but... hnn, maybe that's the point." Valentine's Day as an exercise struck him as markedly at odds with any real logic anyway; he supposed he might as well go with it. "Don't want to impose, but... if you wouldn't mind, ah..." The young man rubbed the back of his neck. "Could use the help."

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"She may appreciate practical gifts, but it's a rare young woman who doesn't like getting flowers," Stesha counseled wisely. "Flowers speak to romance, and let her know that you're thinking of her in that certain way. A toolbox might last longer, but it's something she could get for herself, and it would mean the exact same thing. Only you can give her flowers for Valentine's Day, you see?" She reached into the coffee table drawer and pulled out a little notebook. "And I'll make sure you have something wonderful to give her. Do you know if there's a certain kind of flower she likes? Or if not, what is she like herself?"

Steepling his fingers seriously, Trevor thought that over for several long moments, considering the illustrative example Stesha had provided. "That... that actually made sense," he admitted. "Should consider teaching, too." Pausing again, he attempted to marshal his thoughts into words. "She is... very, very strong. Inside. Bravest person I know, I think. Not fearless; overcomes fear to do the right thing, to help others." Looking out the window absently, his jet and ruby eyes unfocused as thought looking into the distance. "Sometimes very sad, too. Lost... everything, except her will. Rebuilt her life. Survivor. Warrior. Protector." be the time he finished it was clear that he was only tangentially of the florist's presence.

Stesha smiled and let Trevor speak, taking a couple of notes as he went along, then starting a quick sketch. She let the silence go on for a few moments after he was finished, penciling in a couple of design ideas as she gathered her own thoughts. The roads people took to become heroes weren't always happy ones, it sounded like this was one of the more difficult paths. "It sounds like being a hero, being part of Young Freedom is very much a part of who she is," she began, leaving room for Trevor to interject if he wanted. "We can reflect that. She wears dark blue and gold in her costume, doesn't she?" Stesha had needed to dig deep for that information, with the wide variety of costumes the Young Freedom kids wore, but blue and gold were the Claremont school colors, too.

"My preliminary thought for a romantic and meaningful bouquet is to have lilacs at the base of it," she told Trevor, turning the notebook to show him her rough sketch. "They've got such a short season, but I can give some a nudge to make sure they're ready, and that they'll last. Gorgeous and they smell just amazing, and they're the symbolic flower of young love, very romantic," She smiled as she continued. "In with the lilacs, I'm thinking blue irises and yellow roses, the colors of the school and of her uniform, as the other major notes. Some green leaves interspersed, and just one or two black lilies tucked in, to remind her of the sender, without darkening the overall look too much. What do you think?"

Blinking himself back to the present, Trevor leaned forward in his seat to look over the sketch, listening closely as Stesha outlined the proposed makeup of the bouquet and the meaning of each component. It reminded him more than the little of mechanical design, combining the right components for the desired effect. "Sounds much more complicated than a generator," he noted with a slightly rueful smile. "Think she would really like that, though. Thank you."

"We all have our specialties," Stesha told him with a chuckle, circling her notes to remind herself later. "If someone built a generator made of plants, I might be able to run it, but until then, I'm totally lost about them. I'll make sure this is ready to go on the 13th, and you can come pick it up at my shop, if that works for you. Then you can decide when and how to give it to her. Don't worry about it wilting, my arrangements have famously long shelf lives. A little water now and again would help, though." She winked, then passed him the bag of cookies she'd assembled.

Trevor had already considered and dismissed a handful of plant-based power generator designs in the beat it took his mechanical inclination to catch up with his sense of humour. "Heh, point taken." Rising to his feet and accepting the bag of cookies, he held it gingerly in both hands for a moment. "The 13th would be ideal, thank you again. If you have more trouble with the generator, or need help installing additional equipment... well. You have the Manor's number."

"I may just take you up on that, once I can get my hands on another generator," Stesha told him, rising when he did. "Let me put my coat on and I'll run you home." She closed the portal to her apartment with a wave of her hand, then bundled up against the weather once more. In just a minute, they were both stepping out of the big elm tree in the front yard of Hunter Manor. "Thanks again for your help," Stesha said, giving Trevor a quick, friendly hug. "And you let me know if there's ever anything I can help you or your grandpa with. I'll see you in a few days!" With that she was gone, nipping back into the trees and off about her other errands. It was too cold for a plant lady to spend too much time standing around outside.

Caught off guard by the hug, Trevor was left standing in the snow, tool boxes at his feet and a bag of bright pink sugar cookies in one gloved hand. Placing his free hand on the back of his neck, over the scarf and between the coat collar and ushanka, he reflexively looked about to see if anyone had been watching. Finding himself alone, he deftly unsealed the bag and retrieved a cookie, munching away as he hefted the stainless steel boxes and made his way back to manor.