Catching Up On New Times (IC)

It was a clear, crisp January morning that found Corbin Hughes driving through Southside in his well-used Mercedes car.

'I'm glad this car's older; I rather don't like some of these side alleys...'

He wasn't truly worried; he honestly doubted any of these thugs could even bruise him right now. What thugs he thought he saw, anyways. He tried not to speculate, it was rude.

Frankly, he was worried about Blake. The same day Corbin had noticed he hadn't heard from his friend for a couple of days, he discovered that Blake Salazar was in the hospital. Of course, he couldn't get in to see him. Then, right after he'd been released, he'd up and moved out with barely a word to anyone!

Finally, Blake had sent Corbin a short text, giving him his new address, and asking him to drop by when he was able.

Thus, Corbin was pulling up into the driveway of a seemingly abandoned house, a huge frown on his face as he idled in the driveway and pulled out his cell phone. He quickly dialed Blake.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Blake picked up his house phone, spinning around in his favorite swivel chair. "This is Blake Salazar, Blake's Magical Investigation Services, how many I help you?" he said, while grinning wildly. He loved having his own place. It was the neatest thing ever. He got assistance from a few mages with the design of the place, which defied any physical or architectural concepts. It made his head hurt to think about.

Corbin blinked at the greeting, before speaking up, confusion in his voice.

"Blake's what now? Blake, it's me, Corbin. You texted me, asking me to drive my ass out here with no other explanation after you disappeared for something like a month! I'm sitting in the driveway of an abandoned building; where do I go now?"

Make that "confusion mixed with irritation".

"Oh, Corbin. You'll see in a moment. Let me open the garage for you." Blake clicked open the garage door. From where his car was, he could see inside of the garage. It was a total contrast to what was outside- clean, well built, and painted a pleasant shade of beige. A small bookshelf was on one end of the garage, and his motorcycle was on the other. "Careful pulling in."

Corbin quirked an eyebrow.

"Curiouser and curiouser."

And indeed, he was careful as he pulled in, hanging up his cell phone and tucking it away before the car moved any further. Once he was fully stopped, he shut it off and climbed out, taking in the highly contrasted setting. He then looked for either Blake, or the most apparent door further into the house.

Blake leapt from his chair, and sped to the garage. "Enter, and prepare to be shocked and amazed!" Blake gestured grandly to the rest of the house. It was a Victorian-styled home, rather nostalgic and styled from an older day. Candles were placed strategically in the foyer and on the dining table, and the furniture appeared to be hand-carved. However, his television, video game systems, and kitchen appliances shone with a sleekness that only the 21st century could provide. Blake grinned like a madman.

Corbin paused at the entry into the house proper. He blinked a few times, before taking a half-step back, his gaze returning to the garage, and the brief glimpse of the street outside before the garage door closed. Then he stepped back inside, moving a bit further. A thoughtful frown crossed his face as he looked here and there, taking everything in. Finally, he turned to Blake, his expression one reserved for only the most serious of conversations...

"Magic?"

Blake grins wider. "Hell yes, my friend. Come in." Blake leads his friend in, and shows him into the kitchen. Milk is being poured, and bread is being sliced by unseen hands. It was a magical assembly line, and after the plates were laid, the final product of the effort could be seen. Two peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. "Want one?" Blake said, taking a bite. He walked from the kitchen into the living room, where the hardwood floors and bookshelves clashed with the art deco furniture.

Corbin took everything in with the not-quite-trained eyes of an aspiring archeologist, who happens to be a superhero as well. He casually takes a sandwich, starting in with slow, careful bites. An eyebrow was quirked at the clash of decoration.

"Interesting decoration. As for the whole shebang...very nice. No offense meant, buddy, but I'm guessing you had some help on this one?"

His face and tone turned serious as he locked gazes with Blake.

"What happened, man? In a month you go from a squid-faced student at Claremont to a dude living in a magic Tardis house in Southside. What's going on?"

"My powers were taken away, so I taught myself magic. The guy beat me within an inch of my life, too. I figure its some kind of ultra-cultist who wants my powers. He got them, and left me with nothing. So I got me some books. Powerful tomes of magic. I taught myself magic, like I said. I have a certain aptitude for it, it seems, although if that's just a side-effect of my Cthulhu powers, I don't know. But yes, to answer your question, I had some help from some high mages. I owe them a few favors, needless to say, but its a great place, isn't it?" Blake smiled at his friend. "I still fight crime, of course. They call me Warlock now. I made some magical gizmos that I put simple enchantment spells on- wanna see?"

Corbin chewed thoughtfully.

"Ultra-cultist? Hm. That's worrisome. Any signs he's targeting other mystical heroes. I myself might have reason to be concerned..."

Suddenly, telekinesis gives Blake a light smack upside the head.

"Why didn't you call me when you were in the hospital? Let me know what was going on? I know I'm not your girlfriend or anything, but I was worried, dude.

At least you, ah, "landed on your feet". Good thing favors were owed, I suppose."

He smirks, suddenly.

"So, a young man formerly wielding the chaotic powers of Cthulu, now an aspiring mage living in one of the worst parts of Freedom City. He fights crime. Your life sounds like a cheesy SyFy movie. That means you're doing something right. Heck yeah I want to see your new gear."

He polished off the sandwich and stood expectantly.

Blake grinned and absentmindedly waved his hand in the direction of the bookcase. It pulled back, revealing a hidden entrance. Blake practically hopped down the stairs, which led to a large basement area. The floors were concrete, as were the walls, which were plastered with mystic charts and sigils, and a few classic rock posters put up for good taste. The floors were relatively clear, but there were tables set up with half-completely inventions, and magical formulas scrawled on sticky notes and sheets of paper. "Welcome to the lab. Or, magic lab. Whatever that's called. I'll show you my completed projects first."

He led him over to a big folding table, where several seemingly ordinary objects were placed. Blake picked up a pair of sneakers, and started to lace them up. "These are my Ten-League Nikes." He said, and before Corbin could say another word, he had taken a step. Blake appeared on the opposite side of the room, and zipped back quickly.

"My lightning wand! Time to ride the lightning!" He whipped a metal rod off of the desk and aimed it at a mannequin resting in the corner. A gigantic bolt of blue lightning sprung from it, striking the mannequin with magical electricity! Blake put the wand down, giddy with excitement.

"My telekinesis ring! For picking up things!" Blake shoved papers off of a desk on the opposite side of the room.

Blake gestured lamely to the rest of the items. "Aaand my healing potion, sleep dust, and shield ring, which are a lot less interesting." Blake grinned at Corbin like a lunatic. "Pretty cool, huh?"

Corbin just shook his head with a rueful smirk at the "hidden entrance". Typical Blake.

He calmly walked behind his friend, nodding at various points as he explained his various magical gizmos and doo-dads. When the demonstration was over, he spoke.

"Very nice. Seems like you're as, or even better, equipped now than you were with your old powers. And, correct me if I'm wrong, you're less worried about their origins, yes?

As for "boring", doesn't mean they aren't useful. Whatever keeps you alive and fighting the good fight, man. Though...I notice you're not really equipped in case your opponent gets in your face. You just going to rely on your Nikes for situations like that? And I'm guessing you've got the know-how and gear to eventually cook up more goodies?"

Blake nodded at Corbin. "Indeed. All I really need for weapons are basic implements, and books, which I have. But I have been working on an instrument for such an occasion. A very blunt instrument, you could say."

He walked Corbin over to another table, which held what appeared to be an ordinary baseball bat. However, upon closer inspection, it had tiny rune marks carefully carved into it. Blake picked up the bat, and it glowed with mystic power. "It's almost ready for beta-testing." Blake said, grabbing a baseball that was sitting on the desk. "Batter up!" He tossed the baseball upwards, and swung the bat. The ball plowed into the concrete wall, where it was reduced to shreds of white and red in a moment. "You see! If that hit someone in the head, there would be quite a mess to clean up. I still need to fine-tune it." Blake said, carefully setting the bat down as though it were made of glass.

Corbin gave a non-committal "hmm" a the bat's performance.

"Yeah, I can see where that would be really bad if you're not fighting a giant robot or golem or something. Still, looks like you're almost there. I bet soon, you'll be a walking arsenal of magical gear. You'll probably need a magic bag to hold it all!"

He frowns as he glances down at his ring.

"I feel like...not that I've "peaked", but like there's a roadblock or something that's keeping me from getting any higher performance out of my ring. Maybe I just need more practice, or more time, you know? I feel like there's so much potential for me, I just need to figure out how to grab it."

"No offense, but I'd rather not have you poking around at the magic on my ring, no. I'd be hesitant to let Eldritch mess around with it."

At Blake's suggestion, he blinked, before a smile slowly spread across his face. In a flash of blue fire, he was in his costume.

"The criminals won't know what hit them."

Blake gathered his gear together, and shoved it into a small pouch. "It's a Bag of Holding. Kind of like Merry Poppin's handbag, if you've ever seen it." Blake said as he started to lace the shoes up. In seconds, he was ready to go. "See you outside!" Blake said as he took a step. He was already outside.

Corbin huffed to himself in the basement.

"Cheater."

With a flash of blue fire, he was flying back up the stairs and out...well, out a door other than the garage, if he could find it. He then flew at top speed into the air for a bit, before arcing back down, his eyes searching for Blake's whereabouts.

Blake was standing just outside of his house, his arms crossed. His motorcycle was already ready to roll, and Blake had someone changed into his dapper suit. "Down here!" he shouted. Blake swung a leg over his motorbike and started up the engine. He took one more look up at Corbin, and raced off. Eldritch fire shot from the exhaust pipe- clearly he had made a few modifications to the bike.

Blake stopped the engine and realized his lack of direction. He looked up at Corbin, and stared blankly for a few moments. "I have no idea where I'm going. Do you know where to go? I am really out of ideas." He sat on his motorcycle and bounced up and down, trying to think of somewhere to go. "Got it." he said, the lightbulb clearly going off in his head. "The Fens!"

Corbin couldn't help but laugh as Blake's lack of planning. Good to know some things didn't change.

At his suggestion of hitting the Fens, Cobalt Templar's face went from "uncertain" to "wary" to "determined and excited".

"I got a full charge on my ring, you've got a bag full of magical gadgets, and we're about to head into the ugliest part of town wearing superhero duds."

A grin on his face means he hopes Blake will catch the reference he just tossed out, and "seal the deal".

Blake stared blankly. "Sounds really familiar...I know I've seen that movie. He took a moment to think. "Nope. I do not know that to which you refer." Blake said sadly as he restarted his engine. "I've been out-referenced. Sad day for me. Le sigh. Let's get a move on." With that, Blake rocketed towards the Fens, half actually disappointed.