Flying Powerhouse = Paragon?

Shift X

So...whattaya think?

I'm still playing around with my first character build (yeah, I know, I'm taking forever on this) and started wondering...if I give my Powerhouse flight, or modify it to have other small powers other than just strength and defenses...would I be better off just making a Paragon or is there some intrinsic difference between the two that I'm missing? 'Cause lets face it...as much as I want to just play a big brawling hero...flight is just too cool, right?

So. Opinions?

Personally, I wouldn't be constrained by the "archetypes" listed in the core book. They are a good guide as to how to build, and you can use them as a rough sketch.

Start with a concept of what you want your character to do, then work around that. You seem to be going for strength, toughness, and flight. The "paragon" archetype probably is your best sketch for what you want to build, but you probably want to do some small or large tweaking. Supersenses? Skills? How bright / dexterous is he? Vulnerable to fire? all sorts of stuff.

Thats probably not helpful, I guess. Think up the concept and then build up, don't be constrained - is what I am trying to say. Complex mechanics are going to be a haul for you if you aren't familiar with the system, but super strong flying characters wont be difficult.

The answer is thus: Golden Age Superman couldn't fly, just jump hella high, but he is now the archetypical Paragon. Make of it what you will.

I think they are similar, which is why deliberately gave my Paragon archetype laser beams and super senses, thus meaning it isn't just a Powerhouse with Flight. But yeah, archetypes are a rough guide, not a rule.