[Nov 2010 Vignette] A Little Favor (Gossamer & Grimalkin)

A Little Favor

The last time Dok had asked Lynn to work on a solo mission, the results had been somewhat traumatic, but he assured her that this time, it would quite different; in fact, she might even be paid! She didn’t know all that much about her prospective client, so she hit the internet and did a little light research; it said all kinds of nice things about her, none of which did much to change Lynn's predetermined attitude towards her.

Great, another rich blonde shiksa goddess; whoopty-frickin’-doo.

For some reason, there was a YouTube video of her wearing a prep school uniform and playing guitar with some girl band, which was mildly amusing. Ooh, she’s got a rebellious streak; how daring! The gossip websites linked her with Divine over the summer, which was rather…odd.

I guess she’s pretty and everything; wonder if she broke Moira’s heart?

Sitting at a terminal in the FC library, she jotted down a few notes in her notebook, one of countless other students working on a project, and then got back to worrying about her Psych paper.

This young woman had come very highly recommended by Viktor, which was very nearly enough, but Estelle still felt a little digging was in order. The internet didn’t yield very much beyond wild fanboy speculation, which by the way convinced her never to Google herself, ever. So she made a few phone calls, which led to more phone calls, which led to a lovely lunch with Commissioner Kane at the Plaza.

The overall picture was…intriguing. A bright young woman with a bewildering array of powers who started clawing up pimps in the notorious Fens, but who now belonged to the rather mysterious and reasonably well thought of team known as the Interceptors. Viktor had also warned Estelle that she had a 'thing' against the wealthy, which was unfortunately narrow-minded for one so young. Ah well, the passions of youth! Perhaps she’d be surprised by what this particular ‘rich b***h’ had in mind…

Inside Doctor de Havilland’s gleaming futuristic office at ASTRO Labs, Grimalkin stared back at Gossamer in disbelief.

“So what you’re telling me is…you want me to help you with your Black Friday shopping?”

The annoyingly beautiful scientist/superhero/Barbie doll raised one slender finger as she corrected the tiny shapeshifter.

“Not just any Black Friday shopping; this is a charity event sponsored by J.S Kinderhoff Toys to provide Christmas gifts to needy families throughout the Fens and Southside. Each superhero participant is allowed to bring along one 'shopping buddy', and we get one hour to fit as many toys into one cart as we can, all of which are then gift-wrapped and delivered to the children free of charge, complete with a card signed by Santa.”

Grim still looked like she'd been hit in the face with a two by four, scratching the back of her head as she slumped in the oh-so-comfy leather chair that probably cost more than her parents' whole trailer home. At lasts she sat up, rubbing her jaw.

"Okay, I get that this is the kind of thing rich people do, y'know, to make themselves feel better about being rich - no offense, by the way."

Estelle snorted and rolled her eyes. "None taken."

"But why me? A, I'm Jewish, and B, why not Johnny Quick or Dynamo, or even that girl Zephyr? My first choice would be a speedster, if I was gonna pick a shopping buddy."

Gossamer nodded. "Believe me, the store already thought of that; the rules specifically disallow anyone who can run at those sort of speeds, to avoid an unfair advantage. But apparently the rules are a lot less clear on pixies..."

There was a twinkle in Grim's eye. "Oh really...?"

Estelle shrugged. "And Viktor said you were good company and you care deeply about this city's poor, just like I do. So, are you in or out?"

Lynn smiled and nodded her head.

"Oh, I'm in, baby!"