Unbalanced: Victory's Oct 2010 Vignette

October 31st, 2010, late afternoon. Riverside Park

Fire in the Sky

“My superiors and I appreciate you all allowing me to accompany you all. It’s a real honor just being in the presence of even one of you. Let alone the entire League!†Victory floats above the ground, his jets mostly aimed towards the ground, with just a couple on the back of his shoulders slowly moving him forward, a smile on his face.

Alongside him in the sky, a familiar figure, of similar colors to Victory, smiles and shakes his head. “Now, no need to be so humble. We’re willing to accept the extra hand. But next time, make sure your superiors let us know earlier.â€

A few hours before, Freedom Hall:

“So wait…you’re telling me Director Powers sent you here…on a hunch?†Bowman was adjusting the fletching on his arrows, looking up to give their visitor a doubtful look.

“Well, I don’t totally understand it, myself. But those are my orders. With all the craziness that’s been going on this month, the higher-ups at AEGIS thought it was important to pool our resources, just in case. Something big’s going down, and we just want to be sure that all bases are covered.†Victory, for his part, was doing his best to sound professional, but it was pretty tough to maintain that front when he’s in the presence of the Freedom League, of all people!

…Although their skepticism is making it much easier to keep calm. As he awaits their response, they exchange looks among each other, as if silently asking each other what they think. But before they all seem to come to a consensus, Daedalus steps forward, with a smile on his face. “Well, I for one think we could use the extra hand, all things considered. Unless anyone else has a good reason not to accept?†None of them seem to have any direct objection, so it seems they’re agreed….

Present,

The Freedom League and their guest begin to slow their collective movement as they begin to approach the Centurion’s Memorial. An odd place to be led when there are other places already in trouble, but they were assured that they were needed here. Victory, not having any personal experience with any of them, finds it even harder to believe, and he stays on guard as they begin to fly down to the ground. They had been following a lead that Daedalus has gotten. Something about the source of all the strange supernatural goings-on this month. According to his information, there had been a weakening in the barrier between the world of the physical and mystical. And the source of that weakening was where they were headed. But, as they began to land, Victory noticed something odd. With all his various methods of sight and detection, there was no sign of anything out of the ordinary, energy-wise. He remained cautious, not sure what was going to happen here.

“Alright, Daedalus,†Captain Thunder asks, “where’s this anomaly you were speaking of?†The rest of the members of the League seem to be wondering that as well, as none of them seem to notice anything out of the ordinary.

“We’ll be able to see it in just a moment…I have to prepare a few things first…†As he speaks, Daedalus begins to walk over to the foot of the statue itself. Victory, for his part, stays quiet, but that weird feeling just won’t be shaken. Keeping all his various sight methods cycling, he notices something…a bit odd. Looking over to Daedalus, his infravision seems to be picking up an odd build-up of heat growing from inside. Much higher than any human should without any corresponding power. Keeping his eye on him, Daedalus continues.

“There we go…this should do it…†As he speaks, Daedalus looks to be messing with a device in his hands, with his back turned to the League. With a grin on his face, he turns to face them, his eyes having suddenly switched to a glowing red. His eyes catching on to it, Victory looks again, to see the heat having built inside to incredible levels! Now he knows why he had such a bad feeling:

“EVERYONE DOWN!†Turning to Johnny Rocket, he makes a quick decision. “JOHNNY! FOLLOW MY LEAD!†Not quite sure what he means, but ready for action all the same, Johnny watches as Victory blasts forth, spinning in circles, just in time to see Daedalus explode! And a hell of an explosion at that, as the entire sky seems to light up. But Johnny thinks fast, and knew what Victory meant, as he joins Victory in spinning around the detonating figure. As Johnny goes around the base, Victory circles up and up, the two of them creating a powerful vacuum, funneling the explosion up into the air, trapping it and directing it away from the League and the Centurion’s statue.

Heading higher and higher, Victory’s cyclone brings the swirling flame far, far above the clouds, his speed pushing well over even his normal limits. As he moves, the flames smash against him now and then, causing some nasty damage against his armor, but he keeps on, until he finally funnels it all up out of the atmosphere. One it was gone, he and Johnny slow to a stop. Victory, worn from both the speed and the constant assault the explosion hit him with, floats in the air for a moment, panting and charred, but with a smile on his face. And then he begins to fall…

Tumbling back down to Earth, it seems like it will be quite an impact, surely enough to do even him in. But he’s okay with it. Give his life to save Earth’s greatest heroes? Good trade…

As the darkness over his eyes lifts, Victory finds himself back at a familiar lab, as pain shoots through him. Did I survive, he wonders. As his eyes open, he looks about, seeing the people who work on him all smiling, relieved to see him come to. At his side, one of the technicians carefully lays a hand on his shoulder.

“Hey, V! Welcome back. We were worried about ya. You really pushed that body of yours there.â€

Victory smiles, shrugging lightly. “Well, I knew you guys built me up strong enough to handle it. Was everyone else okay?â€

“Yup! And they said to feel free to ask them for help any time. They said it’s the least they could do.â€

Victory laughs, and lays back down. “Thank God. Although….†If that Daedalus was just a bomb…where was the real one…?