Fast-Food Calamari

The standing thug ran out of the billowing smoke cloud, tendrils of ash floating from his shoulders, hips and head as he escaped the choking smoke. Completely unaware of Kid Cthulhu's ranged mental abilities he thought he was in the clear. That he could make it away without the speedy guy finding him and that crazy bat-squid thing wouldn't be able to follow his movements with the smoke in the way. Then he clutched his head as blinding white-hot pain filled his skull.

The thug crumpled to the floor in a twitching heap.

Blitz's head spun around as the drugs burst into flame and immediately filled the area with that choking ash cloud. He had to do something. These kids were scum, but they were still just kids. They deserved to live just like anyone else and Blitz had the means to keep them living. He dashed around and grabbed two of the Southside C's at a time and dragged them away from the smoke cloud and piled them up on top of the fallen thug just outside the ring of light.

Blitz was pretty sure he had gotten them all he was just turning back to check one last time when there was a sudden change in pressure as the air around him sucked inwards.

Then the air pushed out.

It was accompanied by a bright flash as the drugs from the other crates finally caught fire as well.

'Well... that settles that. There's no way I left anyone in there, right? I mean... I made sure to get them all right?' Blitz counted the piled up bodies and thought that he counted 8. This was one short of the number that he and Kid had come across on the airport yard.

"I missed one..." Blitz took a deep, slightly shuddering, breath. "Damn."

KC touched down next to Blitz. "We can't save everyone, Blitz. We can try, but...we're only human." He put a comforting arm around Blitz's shoulder. KC breathed in deeply. "I mean, I guess we just move on, and try to get these guys into jail, right? We'll head out and try to do another raid on them next time.

Blitz nodded to Kid Cthulhu's words. 'He's right. We can't save everyone. All we can do is try.' The thoughts weren't comforting, they were simply true. All he could do was move on from this failure and do better next time.

Blitz reached into his back pocket and pulled out a small disposable cellphone and dialed 911.

"911,what is your emergency?"

"Hello!?" Blitz said into the phone, his voice was hysterically high, in a falsetto, and his breathing rapid and uncontrolled. "Hello, is this the police?"

"Ma'am calm down, what is the emergency and where are you?"

"Oh my god! I'm at the airport! There was an explosion and now there's a fire! Please you have to get here now! I think there were people who got hurt!"

"Alright, Ma'am we--" Blitz hung up the phone before the woman on the other end could finish her sentence. He looked at Kid Cthulhu and put his phone back in his pocket.

"They respond faster to crying women than to composed teen boys from my experience." Blitz shrugged and then looked around for a rope or a chain or something that he could use to tie up the thugs long enough for the cops to arrive. He found a long length of what looked like towing cable and used his super speed to tie all of the thugs together in a tangled "web". It'd take them at least 10 minutes to figure out how to get untangled and untied, and they'd be passed out for a little longer on top of that, and the cops usually had a response time under 8 minutes for stuff at the airport. They were as good as caught; it was time to book it.

"Let's get outta here before the cops arrive. They usually get pretty pissed when the airport gets lit on fire."

As soon as Kid Cthulhu would start to move, Blitz would follow at a reasonable speed.

As Blitz explained what he did with the falsetto voice, KC's eyebrows (or where they would be) raised. Damn. KC thought. That's brilliant.

KC could only sit by in amazement as the thugs were tied up in moments. Where five men and a length of chain were moments before, five bound thugs now sat. Needless to say, KC was pretty impressed with the speedy hero. He smiled broadly.

"I'd be tempted to say that's a pretty goddamn good idea."