Trickster's Game [IC]

Once at the corner, Grim makes no mention of the coffee issue, but instead drops down to her haunches and starts sniffing the air, first one way then the other. Soon she is down on all fours, carefully sniffing the pavement and every piece of trash she sees.

"I'm sure this looks pretty goofy, but I'm hoping to get a match on anything from the apartment; might take a minute or two."

After a few moments, she shakes her head and laughs.

"To heck with this, I'm doggin' it."

Pale mist shrouds her figure, which expands larger and larger until a massive black hound is revealed in her place! The beast's eyes glow like coals as its huge shaggy head turns this way and that, in search of the elusive scent.

Once she'd shifted down, Grim's perceptions warped with her form. Under the almost over powering alley smells was a much fainter trail. Grim found the scent trail of the high end soap and subtle perfume that could only belong to their would be witch. Even fainter than that was the scent of something even more out of place.

Below the scents of the city was the faintest odor of wild places, a hint of ozone like the air before the storm and the wet earth smell of the deep caverns and places still hidden from man. Scents that should not be in the middle of this urban sprawl.

The wild scent wound its way almost casually out of the alley and down the street. It smelled... smug. Smug and quietly, dangerously angry.

"I have the scent; this way."

Her voice sounded so strange coming from her canine mouth; back in Avalon, the Queen had said her powers would be in flux for a while, and she might be able to do things she'd never done before or would be able to do again.

Four moons, and then the final phase; what will I be when I grow up?

The great beast shuffled down the darkened street in search of her quarry.

• 2 weeks later...

They followed the trail through the winding streets until they came to a ramshackle and slightly run down house squished between two larger and newer buildings. Phantom ran her fingertips over the doorframe delicately as she murmered, "Warded. I'm concerned it might be protected against my insubstantial form. He has been very intent on sidestepping me. I can blast it off its hinges, but that might be more noticible than we'd otherwise prefer."

The house had very little in the way of regular locks other than what one might except of a run down house in one of the sketchier neighborhoods.

"Warded. I'm concerned it might be protected against my insubstantial form. He has been very intent on sidestepping me. I can blast it off its hinges, but that might be more noticible than we'd otherwise prefer."

Grim shifts back to her own form and nods as she looks over her shoulder.

"Yeah, the big bada-boom might be a bad idea; you think I should just make like our little princess and knock?"

She easily shifts into Belladonna's form and shrugs.