New Age Mythology (IC)

Early April, 2024

Freedom Central Library

It was a nice day in New Jersey, and in part because of that, Michael and Carmen had left Claremont after class to go have a date. A date that they both promised would not be about superheroing, would not involve alien invasions, or being trapped in time bubbles, or teenage delinquents, or any of that.

Michael had picked up sandwiches from Stan's Super Heroes; the local place's habit of naming sandwiches after supers had obviously always fascinated their biggest fan, and he wasn't ashamed to admit that he hoped that some day he would have a sandwich 'of his own', so to speak. But he was currently eating one named for Velocity as he and Carmen sat under the stone sphinx named April on the stairs to the building. It was decently populated, but not enough to make Carmen uncomfortable, which gave the two enough privacy to sit quietly and eat together while enjoying the day.

The actual Library itself was fairly busy today; they had announced an interesting exhibit of several of the first recorded written versions of many famous tall tales, in addition to oral counterparts spoken by historical researchers. Banners across the front of the heavy granite building in the City Center announced readings of the original stories of Paul Bunyan, Mike Fink, Johnny Appleseed, and more. Michael had some interest in those stories- they were, to him at least, somewhat of the precursors of modern Superheroes-, and he'd picked up several copies of collections of the tales earlier in the day, resting next to him as him and Carmen sat on the stairs. Michael was not talking about superheroing, or studying, or anything like that, at least at the moment. He was simply leaning against the base of the sphinx statue and enjoying his time with Carmen, and talking about more interesting, teenager things. That included the yo-yo that his brother had gotten bored with no long after obtaining, that he was now practicing with.

"Honestly, I'm not very good with this thing." he said as he threw the yo-yo out and let it roll back into his hand. "I've watched some Youtube videos and people can do crazy stuff with them. Have you ever used one?"

It felt like it had been a long time since the two of them had gotten to have a date together or outing, at the least without some form of interruption one way or another. So, to be able to go out with Michael without any sort of interruption spoiling it was a relaxing affair, even if it was to a public venue. A dinner date after school a sandwich place by the library, a simple and easy sort of date that cost nothing other than the price of decent priced hero themed sandwiches, and not a single alien invasion or time anomaly in sight as well.

Carmen had ordered something that was called the Johnny Rocket, a sort of tuna sandwich with lettuce and tomato, alongside some sort of pepper relish that was rather to her own liking. The were-cat girl would even manage on this date between the two would not pick off the vegetables that were on it, a habit that she was told by the school counselor and her pediatrician to try and change. A slow and simple thing that she was working to fix over time, told that it would keep herself fit and active in her rather athletic lifestyle. A simple and easy meal in peace that she would have with her boyfriend, all comfortably out of the way of most prying eyes as to give them a bit of privacy under the shadow of the stone sphinx.

Idly biting into it as they stood together, Carmen would watch him play with the yo-yo, "Only a little. I can't do any tricks, but I can make it work for a while. Think one kid would always get in trouble back home using it like a flail."

(Golden Star Post)

"A flail...Huh." he rolled it forward. "You could like...wrap it around people's legs or something too, right? Trip them up." he pondered. "I mean this thing is all energy, right? So maybe I could manipulate it." he looked at it again and then laughed. "Ah! Whatever! I'm trying to not think about that stuff." He said bashfully, shaking his head as if to move on to the conversation and focus on something else.

"School's almost over for the year, do you have any plans over the summer? Maybe if my family heads out on vacation somewhere you can come with us? Maybe somewhere out in the Midwest or something, they're still deciding. Or maybe Canada." He offered to her casually. "If you think your guardians would be okay with it, at least."

"I've been thinking about making something myself like that, a bola. I think it would work a lot better in order to deal with stuff at range, besides, I don't need to claw every single bad guy out there, don't I?" she says after a few moments, thinking about some of the concepts she was working on in a class for building such tools and equipment. To say it was a class was overselling it as it was more like a small workshop that she had signed up for offered by some teacher that had spare time on their hands. Bolas, smoke bombs, even a nifty rope thing she had thoughts of working on that were from finished in the slightest.

Carmen would get the message that Micheal didn't want to continue and so did so, wiping her face with a napkin and avoiding any sort of bad habit with her cleanliness after she finished eating. The young woman was growing smarter about her habits, growing up as one could call it that as she discards the sandwich wrappings in a dumpster with a light toss, "I think they would be fine with-it Michael. The pastor and rest of the church think I can relatively keep care of my own," she says while holding to his arm.

"Bolas could be interesting...It'd help lock people up. I've been working on that a bit myself; ranged options, not bolas necessarily. Like...laser beams or something." He said, smiling. "I could see you cutting an inspiring figure, wrapping up goons in bolas and being like 'No one can escape my claws!' or something like that." He didn't want to talk heroing, but he did love talking up Carmen, so for that at least, he was very pro talking about how cool Carmen was. But he didn't at all mind switching to something else and sighing happily as he finished his sandwich and wiped his own mouth to lean back against the pillar, and partially onto her. He was quite comfortable at this point.

"That would be great, then. We'll bring you along, introduce you to my parents. Everything will go a-okay. Just a nice, relaxing vacation, I think." he said. "Then after that you'll be a senior...almost ready to go on to the rest of your life. Won't that be interesting." He thought about it for a bit. "Well, I'm sure no matter how it goes, it'll be good for you and you'll excel." he nodded. "...I should go to church with you on Sunday. I know I usually go with my Mom, but still, it'd be appropriate, I think."

Michael would make Carmen laugh at that sort of idea, "That's soo cheesy... maybe I could do it though in the right place?" she says in response. Him talking her up made her feel confident and secure, Micheal giving the werecat a needed boost whenever he talked her up or was near her definitely made rather a difference in her life, as if Micheal was the perfect good luck charm and confidence booster. In a way, Carmen wished she could be a bit more like he was.

"That'll be nice. Have you ever attended a Catholic mass?" Carmen would ask him as she moved close to him, holding on to one of his hands, curious what they'd do now after finishing their meal together. Fuzzy and soft. Even if she gave a slight appearance of a sort of wild child, Carmen seemed to keep care of herself, especially with all the hair and fur. In fact, over the past few months her dark black head of hair had grown out purposely, now reaching to right to the middle of her back, "I've been talking to a few professors and Patriot. I'm thinking I could get something to do with some government office work. I can't really tell yet. I'll have to do all the independent life transition work when I hit 21."

Edited by MoonSimply

(Golden Star Post)

"No, Protestant only. Mom's family has been W.A.S.P.s for as far as they go. But I still go every weekend with Mom. So it's not like I'm not keeping up with my faith." he said as he closed his eyes. "So it'll be interesting to see the differences at least; maybe I'll think Martin Luther is full of crap or something." he laughed. He squeezed her hand tighter and enjoyed the soft feeling of her fur. He was enjoying it, and enjoying spending time with her. He liked Carmen for the effort she put into things. He didn't have to expend much effort in a lot of ways that other people did; he got to skate by on being the right gender and the right race and having a pretty face. He always kept himself aware of that, but it wasn't something he talked about to people either. He had conflicting feelings.

"You're not going to college? I guess that's fair...the Patriot could probably get you a good Government Job, a lot of those have nice pensions too. If you do end up wanting it or needing it, I'll help you work on any applications or the like you need...I don't actually know what paperwork comes with that transition though, I'd have to do some research on it." He said. It wasn't something that seemed like he had an issue with it, just something he didn't know about at that point.

(GM Post)

As the two Claremont students were discussing the future and their ongoing existence, something strange was happening all across the library.

It started with ruffling books. In the library it started in the middle of the exhibit. Old pages under glass cases fluttering in the wind that didn't exist in the middle of the library. Mumbling and wind started. Then the effect started to spread. Rustling through the library, then out into the wild.

From inside of Michael's bookbag, something popped the zipper from the inside out. A burly looking man crawled out, only the size of a man's palm, but looking as rough as a trip down the Mississippi and back, a rough beard, an oarsman's tattered outfit. He scrambled out of the backpack and let out a woop, swinging his pint sized arms too and fro.

"Lookie here, ya galoots, I'm Mike Fink, and if you're wanting a brawl, I'm the boy for it."

Across the rest of the stairs, similar things were acting up; pint-sized versions of the pictures in books harassing the people that had borrowed the books in question. A tiny John Henry, a minuscule Paul Bunyan, a petite Davey Crockett and more.

"A what?" Carmen would respond, thinking that his mother was some sort of monster creature or something and that he had for a moment descended from one. Was her boyfriend in fact partially some sort of bug creature, waiting to devour her and her fellow students. That was foolish of course and quickly she threw such a thought out as he squeezed her hand softly. It didn't matter whom he was or what she was as Carmen saw him as her Michael, and he couldn't be more perfect in any other way for her as she attempted to push forward, closing her eyes and steeling her nerves for a kiss as she pushed herself up to meet him. He was taller than Carmen, pushing up on her tip toes to meet his lips.

Then, without any warning trouble appeared as a tiny man appeared from out of Michaels backpack to interrupt the two of them, "¡Qué mierda!" she lets out as this breaks any sort of attempt she was trying to make, now rather annoyed.

"What's the big deal?" she says, a bit of venom as she her catlike eyes narrowed down on this creature. It looked cartoonish in nature. Strangely proportioned and small. It wasn't natural and only meant for the two of them that they had walked right into more trouble.