Rider of the Storm

GM

It was raining. 

A warm rain that muted the sun and carpeted the dry island. A healthy rain, one might say, one that promised green amid the desert. A beautiful rain, that splintered the horizon into a double rainbow. An uncommon rain, for these time of the year in Socotra. 

A rain that smelt of a storm to come. 

Through the rain, flew an old aircraft. World War 2, by the look of it. It sailed through the air unpetrubed by cloud or rain, looping into a curve and descending gracefully. Finally, it reached a dirt track and landed, flawlessly. 

The precision was remarkable, for it was only a couple of dozen of yards of taxiing until it reached right by the feet of Giang Trang, aka Xian Lou Khan, aka Tsunami. 

The hood of the plane opened up, and a man stood up. He was dressed in antique fighter pilot wear, complete with jacket and goggles. Sunburnt, one might say, or sunweathered, with bleached blond hair, stubble, and a handsome (if worn) face. Bizzarely, he was holding a wooden cane, one you might see an elderly gentleman (or gentlewoman) use to walk. 

In his other hand, a silver compass. He consulted it for a moment, and, ensuring that the needle had stopped right at Giang, introduced himself wih a short bow. 

"Giang Trang I presume? I am Harry Cane. Mr Murk sent me."

Edited by Supercape

Tsunami

The rain did not bother Giang Trang, she had grown up with frequent rains in a small mountain village in Northern Vietnam. Although much of the last decade had been spent in more dry climates, first Southern California for college, and more recently in Socotra after accepting an offer from her aunt, the current ruler of the island nation, to come and serve as governess for Giang's three young cousins. Given Socotra's rather dry climate, the unseasonal rain was welcome.

Of course, it did not even seem to touch the young woman, who stood on the runway as dry as if she were indoors.

The young Asian woman was dressed very differently than she did for her normal duties, a pair of black jeans, black boots that went halfway up her calves with buckles up the sides, a long white shirt, over which she wore a black leather jacket. Certainly a look that stood out on Socotra, but would blend in on the streets of Hong Kong.

She watched the vintage era aircraft as it approached and eventually pulled up to stop near her. Certainly an unusual method of transport, but the sort of idiosyncrasy she had learned to expect when dealing with other members of the Codus Immortus.

When the pilot exited the aircraft and introduced himself, Giang gave a slight bow in return. Despite living for nearly a decade in the United States, she had not lost the perfect posture and etiquette she had been trained in growing up. Indeed, since taking on the role of governess, she had returned to using those more formal manners in general. "Yes, that is correct." She replied before looking back up at the man who seemed very much one from an older era.

GM

"God dang, I knew it!" smiled Harry Cane. "Rain just dont touch you. The legendary Tsunami, youngest immortal we found yet!"

Harry jumped out of the airplane, agile, confident, still holding his wooden cane. The rain was on him, and he was getting wet, but he paid it no mind. In fact, he seemed to enjoy it. 

"Murk told me about you. But he's a devious conniving man, always in the shadows. I wouldn't trust him as far as I can throw him, and hes big and I ain't that strong. But one thing for sure, he likes his ink. If he signed something, you can be sure he keeps his word on it."

He raised his goggles. Blue, deep blue eyes. 

"Yeah, I signed it to. Helped me out of a few very painful scrapes over the last few decades. I'm no hero, Tsunami, but you can be sure the Codus Immortus is something I keep my word on. And one thing I'm not fond of is torture..."

He shuddered. 

"...anyway, an immortal by the name of Wrack got caught up in something in Hong Kong. It don't look good. I'm no superhero, but I got a plane and with this here..."

He waved his cane. 

"...this here magic stick, I can rustle up a wind that will get us there in no time!"

Tsunami

"Only if I want it to." Giang replied to Harry's comment about the rain not touching her. She listened politely as he talked about the mysterious Mr. Murk, who Giang had only met in person on a few occasions. While what Harry said about him fit with her observations, since being found by Raven on the streets of Singapore over a decade ago and become part of the wider superhero community, Giang had encountered of equally mysterious individuals.

When the discussion turned to the reason Giang had even agreed to return to Hong Kong, the young woman gave a solemn nod. "Yes, I understand this Wrack is very much in need of assistance. I am ready to depart if you are." She stated as he indicated he had access to magic that would help to speed up the trip.

GM

"Great!" said Harry, flashing a smile. "Big Les here is a bit old, but she will do the job. Fought against the Nazi's, fought in Vietnam... but that's another story..."

He shuddered again. 

"And not a pleasant one."

He shook his head. "I wont lie, she shakes and ain't built for comfort. And even with my magic cane and a tail wind, it ain't going to be a short trip. If you know a faster way, i am all ears. But Big Les will be sad, wont you, baby?"

He gave the old aircraft a gentle pat. 

As far as Tsunami could see, it was an old fighter plane. American. And yes, it was a little worse for wear, but Big Les still looked in working order. And besides, it did have parachutes under the seats...

Tsunami

Giang gave a faint smile as Harry talked about his plane’s long history and that it would be able to get them there, if not in the most comfortable manner. The young woman was not so accustomed to expecting extravagant comfort all the time that she balked at the idea of riding in the old aircraft. Although a part of her wondered if they might actually draw more attention to themselves arriving in a vintage aircraft such as this than if they took a more modern and luxurious aircraft.

"This seems adequate." She stated, looking back to Harry. "We should be on our way."

GM

The plane took off - engine and chasis juddering as the old plane sped along the ground until it gathered enough speed for lift. 

In the air, things were not a lot better; worrisome vibrations and the odd clanking nouse. Harry gripped his cane and... alarmingly... closed his eyes. The Plane kept steady, and soon the pitter patter of rain became a full on torrent. 

"Nothing like a storm, eh?"

It was a storm and more. And under Harry's control. It swirled behind them, and then turned into a full on tail wind. Doubling, trebling the speed of the old aircraft. 

"Big Les can handle it!" shouted Harry, over the storm. 

It was too noisy to speak over the sound for the next few hours. But as they approached Hong Kong, the storm subsided, and the plane relaxed into a more solid and steady state. 

"Vietnam, eh?" said Harry, loudly. "Murk said you were from Vietnam? I swear the toad knows everything..."

Tsunami

Giang did not particularly mind the storm around them, although noisy, there was a rhythm to the sound. The Asian young woman closed her eyes and meditated during much of the trip, listening to the sounds of the storm, unconcerned with the occasional bumps and wind gusts that rocked the plane.

As things calmed and they began to approach Hong Kong she opened her eyes once more, as Harry asked her about Vietnam. "I was raised there. In a remote village in the mountains in the northern half of the country." She replied.

GM

"I was in the war," said Harry, biting his teeth together. "Ugly. I... I didn't have a good time. Like I said, no hero. But one thing I can't stand is torture. Guess that's why Murk sent me."

"Although truth is I dont know why Murk does anything. Nobody knows why Murk does anything. Not even Murk himself. Is he cryptic, or full blown Mad?"

He shook his head. 

"Anyway, no offence. Vietnam. Beautiful. But... but bad memories."

He shuddered. 

He nooded down to the Hong Kong skyline below. "Where do you want to set down? Murk didn't give me much. But he has set up a Club Immortus there, dont know if you ever visited. Nice place. Good food. But no runway."

"He said he got wind of one of the signaturies, a witch called Wrack, has been kidnapped and subjected to just the kind of experimentation the Codus is there to prevent. Endless torment. Some guy called Mr. Silk using her. He sounds like a nasty piece of work. Criminal. New kid on the block. Having a war with Dr Sin, and winning, by some accounts. On account of sheer brutality and determination."

Tsunami

"The war had been over a long time before I went to live there." Giang replied. "And the education I was provided did not touch much on it, save for examinations of the tactics used by the Viet Min and Viet Cong during their struggles against first the French and then American forces."

When Harry asked her where she wanted him to land, the young woman frowned slightly. "I am afraid I am not familiar with airports or airstrips in the area." She responded, looking down at the massive cosmopolitan city and the bay separating the mainland from the two main islands that made up the city. "I had assumed that you, or Mr. Murk, had planned for where we would land."

"Do we know if Wrack is being held in Kowloon City, or on Hong Kong Island, or somewhere else?" She asked, if they did not have an idea, this task would be much more difficult than she had initially been led to believe.

Posted (edited)

GM

"Glad you missed it. The war, I mean," said a relieved Harry Cane. 

He peered down over Hover Kong, the cockpit windows drumming with heavy rain. 

"Oh I can get us down at the main airport, no trouble. Murk has his devious hands everywhere, he can pull of the paperwork. Although how a blind man knows his way round paperwork so well beats me. Besides, I work for you, not him. Sure, I signed the codus, but that doesn't make him my boss."

Big Les started descending, Pressure built up in Harry's ears; he blew his nose to pop them. 

"As far as the rumour goes, Wrack is being held by Mr Silk. Nobody knows where, although the best guess is his factory come headquarters by the docks. Superior Silks. Dr Sin has his eyes on that little prize. Maybe he even has some spies within the factory, although his spies would be made of stronger stuff than me. Mr Silk has a reputation for sheer brutality that even the Viet Cong would find uncomfortable."

"HK Airport is is then, unless you say otherwise. And Mr Murk left a little present under your seat..."

Indeed he had; a brown paper bag full of HK currency, and forged papers...

Edited by Supercape

Tsunami

Giang listened as Harry gave her some information about where it was believed Wrack might be being held. She then retrieved the bag from under her seat, taking the money and dividing it into several different piles of various denominations. One she placed in her right boot, another into the inner pocket of her leather jacket, the other into the front pocket of her jeans. The young woman then spent a bit of time studying the papers, familiarizing herself with the forged identity, which would have been good to have done during the rest of the flight over.

Soon, the vintage aircraft was descending to a runway on Chek Lap Kok, an island that was part of Hong Kong’s New Territories, the entire island serving as the city's airport.

Once they had touched down and pulled toward one of the small hangers away from the main terminals, the Asian woman began to unstrap herself as she prepared to depart, looking for any sign of a customs official or other such official.

GM

Hong Kong was a major city. And that meant a major airport. And that meant major security. 

Harry said he would wait in the airport and gave her a burner phone. He looked pretty eccentric, but his papers checked out, and he started spending some dollar in the airport. No doubt some cameras would be checking up on him, but he wasn't doing anything other than buying some books, a tie, and eating noodles. 

The customs official looked at Tsunami carefully. A fairly tired old man, kinda guy who looked like he followed the rules, but not with any enthusiasm. 

"Business or pleasure?" he asked in flawless English - and Cantonese. His eyes travelled around Tsunami's face. 

Tsunami

When she came to the customs official, Giang greeted him with the proper Chinese etiquette for addressing an elder. Standing patiently as he looked over her papers and then studied her. When he asked her purpose, the Asian woman leaned into her youthful appearance, smiling as she responded to the Cantonese with flawless Cantonese of her own. "Pleasure."

"Mainly shopping, most likely at Harbour City." She added, naming Hong Kong's largest shopping center built in the heart of Kowloon at the site of the old Kowloon Wharves.

GM

And the Kowloon Wharves were exactly where Superior Silks main factory was based. 

The sun had set on Hong Jong as Tsunami left the airport, her false papers correctly stamped with a nod. "Welcome to Hong Kong ma'am. Enjoy your stay". 

Speaking Cantonese had warmed the otherwise ossified passport officer. 

The evening was aglow with the sun's aura just below the horizon. The many lights of Hong Kong had sprung into action. The air felt close, and Tsunami could feel rain coming. It was hot, but not unbearably so - and yet the rain would be a relief. 

A line of red taxi's waited outside the airport, moving quickly. A fat woman with a cigarette in her mouth and a trashy newspaper in her hand caught Tsunami's eye, and said, in broken English. "Taxi lady pretty?"

There was hustle, there was bustle. 

And there were two men in crisp suits and lithe builds who had been keeping a close eye on Tsunami ever since she arrived...

Tsunami

Giang gave a polite shake of her head in response to the offer of a taxi and continued moving through the crowd along the exterior of the terminal. Having spotted the two men following her, the Asian woman moved into the crowd, looking to disappear among the crowd.

Soon, she was back inside the terminal, making her way down to where the station for the Airport Express, the MTR rapid transit line that connected Chek Lap Kok with both the mainland and Hong Kong Island. With out four stops aside from the airport, it was one of the fastest ways to get to other parts of the greater Hong Kong metro area, with one of the stops being located right in the heart of Kowloon City.

Paying cash with some of the money from Mr. Murk, she soon had a ticket for Kowloon Station and was making her way to the platform.

GM

At this time of night, with the sun asleep and the moon awake, the station was less packed. There were the drunks, of course. And a few people who had clearly taken more than alcohol. But by and large it was a friendly, if spartan crowd. 

The train arrived on time and departed in an equally ordered manner. It rattled a little; not the newest train, not the newest railway. The lights of Hong Kong swirled past. The ocean, on the horizon, glistened with moonlight and rain. 

The storm was still there. 

As the train arrived into the docks area of Kowloon City, Tsunami had the unnerving feeling she was still being watched. 

A camera, in the corner... pointing at the travellers. 

That old lady, with sunglasses, trying to look like she wasn't looking at Tsunami. 

The man in a hat, carrying a briefcase, a scar across his nose. Was he just a businessman?

Just how many tentacles and spies did Mr Silk have, or not have?

Tsunami

Giang calmly made her way out of the station, noting the cameras and possible spies, but not paying much attention to them. She discretely kept an eye out for any additional people that might be trying to follow her as she made her way out into the streets of the city.

The young woman takes a moment to study the crowd and reorient herself before she moves onto the sidewalks, looking to become another part of the crowd. She starts towards the mall, looking for any sign of a tail.

GM

The old woman followed her out of the station. It was subtle, but Tsunami could pick up the signs. She had a spring in her step, a speed to her pace, indicating greater strength and less fat that a woman of her age. The way the woman kept at almost precisely calibrated distance from Tsunami. 

She was a spy. 

Mr Silk must have a finger in every corner of the city. It was no wonder he was at odds with Dr Sin. 

Fortunately, the woman, once identified, was easily lost. 

Where now? The mall beckoned, a dozen feet from Tsunami, and she certainly had the cash. But Hong Kong was a large city, a flamboyant city, rich in colours and smells. And the factory of Mr Silk, Superior Silks, was not far away....

Tsunami

Giang had never really been one for shopping, even after moving to the United States, while she accompanied some of her friends at Claremont on shopping trips, it was not an activity she sought out. While she presently had a larger wardrobe than she ever had in her life, it was primarily a result of being part of the Socotran royal family, which brought with it the expectation that she be present at numerous functions.

After losing the woman, Giang began sticking to the shadows as she moved away from the more crowded areas of the downtown area of Kowloon, making her way towards the industrial area where Superior Silks main factory would be located. The sooner she focused on helping the Immortal she was here to help, the sooner she could leave this city.

GM

The woman was easily shook. At last, Tsunami could walk across Hong Kong without being followed. 

At least as far as she could tell. 

A little later...

Despite the rain, the moon shone through the darkness, and Hong Kong had plenty of light pollution to ignite the air. It was not asleep; it kept on breathing, eating, and working even at this time of night, just at a slower pace. This was the time for drunks, cleaners, food, and entertainment. Some of the latter - a quite unsavoury air. 

The docks had the smell of salt air. Here, things became more industrial, more energetic. Boats came in, boats left, redsitributing cargo as they did so. There was no time for sleep. 

Superior Silks? Another factory. By all appearances, run down. A couple of thugs guarding the place with baseball bats. But on closer examination, the fence was alarmed, the cameras elegantly placed, and the factory more resilient than it first appeared. A first rate fortress disguised as a run down broken shoddy factory.

Tsunami

Giang moved to an alleyway a short distance from the factor, near another building slightly taller than the factory. Once in the shadows, she reached out to the water collecting on the ground of the alley and flowing through downspouts, pulling it underneath her feet. Soon, she was rising up into the air on a column of water that lifted her up onto the rooftop as she let the water flow away.

Walking over towards the edge of the roof that looked down at the roof of the Superior Silks building. Once again the water controller pulled water from around her, the rooftop, even the rain falling from the sky, as she created what looked like a thin stream of water in the air that she jumped up onto before it carried her out towards the rooftop of the factory.

GM

The rooftop had that same look - run down, second rate, crumbling. But again, with a careful look, it was reinforced. A fortress concealed as a shack. 

What was even more peculiar...

Footprints?

Up here?

There were no guards on the rooftop. All that Tsunami could see was a skylight, one that had been opened recently. 

Peering through it, should could see an organised textile factory, weaving, cutting, packaging. Machines hummed, and a variety of textile workers scurried at their work. Here, there were a few guards. Not your rent-a-thug cheapskate guards outside, but professional men in black silk suits. 

And on the factory floor, a trapdoor...

Tsunami

Giang looked at the footprints in the water with a bit of curiosity, which only increased as she found the opened skylight. The Asian young woman wondered who might have been making their way inside of the factory, suspecting that thieves would no likely be willing to risk angering a crime boss such as Mr. Silk.

It was possible that it could be agents of Dr. Sin, which could make things more difficult, but also provide a distraction as she tried to find Wrack.

Everything seemed quiet inside, so she waited for the guards to move away or turn their attention before going through the skylight herself and making her way toward the tarp door.

GM

The guards were alert, but Tsunami was as silent as a still lake. Once, twice, the guards looked her way, but she was always in shadows, or behind machinery. They didn't spot her. Not even suspicious. 

When Tsnunami reached the trap door, she could see a lock on it. 

A picked lock. 

Either someone had been very careless, or someone else was trying to get to Mr Silk. 

But who? An enemy of Mr Silk? Dr Sin, or one of his numerous agents?

Opening the Trapdoor, Tsnuami could see stairs leading down, some raw blazing lightbulbs, and the sound of

violence!

~ Continued in Hong Kong Hair ~

• Supercape changed the title to Rider of the Storm