Hunted and Haunted

Bedlam City, January 11th, 2024.

8 PM.

Getting a Thursday off was not unusual for a bartender. They liked their best people to work at Club Maxx on the busy nights. 

Ellie did not know that one of her coworkers put her picture up on social media. It wasn't on purpose, of course. However, Ellie had very good reasons to avoid having her picture put out in public.

Ellie noticed she was being followed around 7 o'clock, about an hour prior. A pair of men in plain gray suits seemed to be showing up wherever she went. They ended up at the diner she ate her late dinner at, and the also seemed to show up at the convenience store she bought her bottle of whiskey at.

Now, they were across the street, standing at a bus station, not moving or talking.

The Eel

This was not good; she was normally pretty good at shaking a tail, but these two were on her like white on rice. And if they were this good, someone with very deep coffers must have hired them, which boded very poorly indeed.

Turning her back to the pair, she slid her cheap burner flip phone out of her zippered belly pouch and texted one of three people saved on it, although none of them were listed by name.

Bad news. Being tailed by two pros, very good. Near bus station downtown. You free? V. worried.

Edited by Heritage

John got the text on his own burner phone, and realized who it was from. If she was being tailed, that was bad news. He took off running at top speed towards downtown. he had ridden busses from that stop on a number of occasions, and knew exactly where he was going.

A few minutes later, he got near the bus stop and slowed down before he appeared before her, looking more like he had jogged up from just a bit away than like he had run miles in a few minutes.

"Hey." He said. "Sorry I was late. Wanna grab coffee?"

The Eel

As soon as John arrived, Eileen turned to him, tears streaming down her face, and pulled him into fierce embrace, which in her case was fairly strong. Once her lips were close to his ear, however, her whispered voice was all business.

"Sorry about the waterworks, luv; I want them to think they've gotten to me. And I nice cuppa would be brilliant."

She then allowed herself to be led by him, visibly leaning on him for support.

Edited by Heritage

John put his arm around her and lead her toward a nearby alleyway.  He whispered into her ear, looking for all the world like a man whispering into his lover's ear. He was gentle with her. He knew she was a strong woman, but he also knew she was being followed. She was an ally. She needed help. That was all he needed to know.

"As soon as we get out of sight, I'm going to pick you up and run and jump as fast and as high as I can to get us far away from these guys."

The Eel

"I'll make it even easier for you," she whispered back to him. "You'll be able to wear me out like a knapsack; arms and legs around your shoulders."

Eileen sighed and shook her head, still leaning on John.

"I've been so careful for years; cash only, burner phones, no photos, no taxes. But all it took was a friend putting a snap of me up on Instagram, and then the bastards find me."

John walked briskly into the alley, then he threw her onto his back and took off running. He jumped into the air with her on his back. He climbed up the building nearby, scaling it quickly. As soon as he reached the roof, he took off running, jumping between buildings, trying his best to put difference between them and the figures following her.

"I know of a safehouse we can hide out in on the other side of town. A motel, no-tell type. They'll take cash and they won't ask questions."

The Eel

With her limbs wrapped firmly around John's torso, Eileen in no way impaired his movement; her weight rode on his hips and shoulders, as snug as the finest harness you could buy. Her head was tucked in between his right shoulder and neck, which muffled her voice somewhat.

"Perfect. I have enough cash on me to pay for several days, and a few caches hidden in various inaccessible places about town."

There was a pause.

"Thank you, John."

John was not his real name. However, so few people called him by name regardless, so it warmed his heart a bit.

Luckily, he was well protected from the cold. His coat, as ragged as it was, never let the cold in. He was grateful for it's protection.

It didn't take too long to cross town. He found the hotel and they landed beside it, a few yards away. He walked towards it.

"We're on a date." He said. "We're both nervous, we've never done this before. We don't need to say it, but that should cover any nerves we're feeling."

The Eel

Eileen nodded and smiled as she disentangled herself from John's back, a singular sight to see. Like him, the cold never bothered her anyway.

"I like it. Takes a bit of the pressure off. On that note-"

She looked down at her eelskin, and it shifted into something more suitable for a date: a dark brown jumper, pleated wool skirt and knee high boots with a modest heel.

"There we are, much better!"

She entwined her arm around his and pulled him closer to 'keep out the chill', their hips now gently touching as they walked, her boots clicking rhythmically on the pavement.

"So, just how many dates have you brought to this hotel," she teased.

Edited by Heritage

John chuckled slightly. 

"I don't date." He said. "Too many issues."

They stepped into the motel's lobby. A middle aged man sat behind the desk, looking about as excited as the clerk at a motel would be in the context.

John fetched his wallet. "One night, please." He said. "Whatever you've got." 

Then, he slid another bill across the desk. "Your cleanest room, please."

The clerk took the cash for the room and started making a key card. Then he took the other cash, smiled, and said. He looked at Eileen, seemingly carefully. However, it was clear he was just observing her outfit. She didn't seem to be a lady of the night, so his interest waned immediately.

"No problem sir. Room 320. Third floor. One of our best rooms."

John nodded to Eileen.

"Okay, so, let's just go see what we've got." 

The Eel

"As long as it's warm," Eileen said in a thick and nasal Queens accent before she trailed off into giggles. She kept whispering and giggling into the side of John's neck to better hide her face.

Once they were inside the elevator, its mirrored walls cracked, smudged and marked with graffiti, she dropped the persona and leaned against the wall, sighing deeply.

"God, I am sick of the ugliness of this town; everything has this disgusting film on it, like a patina of nicotine and sweat." She looked up at John and shook her head in disbelief. "How have you maintained your sanity in all this filth?"

John let his shoulders slump slightly.

"Honestly, couldn't tell you. I just focus on the mission, I guess. I do help people from time to time. But this place does wear on you from time to time."

He stared off into space. He hadn't opened up to anyone in years. He had no friends, just the occasional ally.

"Most people are afraid of me, if they've heard of me. Which is useful if it's a mugger. The other day a guy just dropped his knife and ran when I landed next to him and the old man he was trying to rob. He didn't get very far. It's not easy when the cops can't even hold them for very long. Not like the cops in this town are much better."

He was getting dangerously close to opening up, so he took a deep breath, steadied himself, and just stood there.

"You can take the bed. I'll take the chair. I've slept in worse. After we get in, I'll go get takeout. I haven't eaten much today, have you?"

The Eel

There was a loud gurgling at the mention of food, and the English amnesiac looked down at her belly for a few seconds. "Um...perhaps a bite to eat wouldn't be a bad idea. Ooh, do you know if there are any Indian places hereabouts? I could absolutely murder a chicken vindaloo!"

Eileen stepped into the cheap room, doing her best not to touch...well, anything. She pulled off her own raincoat, folded it up a few times, and then placed it on top of the pillow; there was no way she was getting under the covers of this bed. Gingerly climbing across the bedspread, she laid down with her hands behind her head, and her eelskin returned to its original configuration like an oil slick that started at her neck and spread down to her toes.

"You know, I can honestly say I've never been happier to own this particular garment, although I dare say I'd feel safer in a bloody hazmat suit."

John nodded. "This coat looks like it's seen better days, but it still keeps me warm. I know of a decent Indian place a few blocks away. At my speed I can get it and come back without any issues."

He pulled out his burner phone and dialed a number.

"Hi, yes, I'd like an order of your chicken vindaloo, and an order of tikka masala. Also, an order of your naan. Thank you, thank you. Twenty minutes? I'll be there. Order under John."

He hung up and walked toward the door. "I'll be back shortly." He said.

He opened the door, and took off towards the restaurant.

The Eel

"Knock three times, then two times, then three again when you come back. Just so I know it's you."

Once John was gone, Eileen allowed herself a good stretch, which meant sending her arms and legs all about the small room. She also used this opportunity to feel nearly every inch of floor, walls and ceiling as her hands and equally sensitive feet checked for peepholes, hidden cameras or microphones. She opened all the drawers on the dresser, felt around the bathroom mirror, and checked the light fixtures, all without getting out of bed.

Finally satisfied, her snake-like limbs relaxed and returned to their proper dimensions as she fetched the remote off the top of the TV with her feet, and deftly switched it on, arms folded behind her head.

A short while later, John opened the door to find Eileen relaxed on the bed. He placed  a bag full of food on the desk, and another bag with some drinks beside it.

"Got a couple different drink options, no booze. Need to stay alert." He said.

He pulled a styrofoam container out of the box and handed it to her, before grabbing the other one and sitting at the desk. He grabbed a bottle of Coke from the bag and started eating.

The Eel

After unlatching the door with an extended limb, the elastic Brit quickly scampered off the bed to dig into dinner.

"Mmm, that smells delicious! That smells authentic. Oh, I haven't had a Thums Up in ages!" 

Judging from the appetite on display, Eileen hadn't eaten very well recently. She actually had to pause at one point to catch her breath.

"Thank you so much for that; I haven't had proper Indian takeaway in...well, I have no idea how long. That's the problem, isn't it? I quite literally don't know what I'm missing."

As she paused to allow the heat of the peppers to slowly seep through her body, Eileen closed her eyes and took a deep breath.

"Mmm...that's heaven. Thank you so much, for everything."

John smiled. It was a rare sight on his features, especially since he was resurrected in that vacant lot. "You're welcome. Honestly it's been a bit since I've actually enjoyed a meal. I usually treat eating like fuel. I should enjoy life more. Remind myself of what this line of work is good for."

He started eating his own food, and found it to be quite good. He was right, he should enjoy life a bit more. So little laughter, so few smiles, so little enjoyment. 

• 2 weeks later...

The two enjoyed their meal together, mostly in silence. Theirs was a lonely line of work, especially in a place like Bedlam. It was nice to take a little breather, even if it was just a few hours. And in a town like Bedlam, friendships, even just professional ones, were more valuable than gold.

END