Glory Days Are Here Again (IC)

Poncho

Captain Cosmos

It sounded honest. 

And Captain Cosmos could not find it in himself to be too critical. Maybe that was the interviewer, the reporter in him. He had to examine a lot of angles. He had a brute locked in his arm, but the brute was also a man - coming to the end of his life, without meaning or purpose, offered a blaze of youth before the end. How many would take that, even if the price was dear?

He started to descending - not letting Bear Knuckles out of his grip, but no longer squeezing. 

"Then you need to let the girl go. Deal's a deal, my friend. Or you can break your word and nobody will trust you again - including the Ringmaster, or whoever else is behind this."

Captain Comsos' boots touched the ground. 

"So, time to honour your word, friend," he said to the camera's and Bear Knuckles. "Let the girl go."

(GM Post)

Feet on the ground, the big, burly man sighed, reaching up with his claws and cracking the collar he wore around his neck. It crackled and sizzled as he tossed it down.

"There. The cage'll be opening. And the guards will leave when the box starts to open; they don't want to get caught anymore than I do, probably more so since they're all wearing those masks and stuff." he said, nodding. "Now I ain't in your corner, flyboy, but I'll say this; the Ringmaster...if they're really plottin some high level evil, I doubt it's a one person job. What they're workin on I don't know, but if a girl whose an eternal youth potion is just a side-attraction, they're cooking something big I bet. Whoever they are, whatever their lieutenants are doing, it's going to light this city up, just as bad as Roman ever did, probably." he huffs again. "...And I bet if you end up part of it, you and me'll be tangling again. But no hard feelin's, you're pretty good for a cape." he admitted, kicking his boot on the ground. Somehow, despite having bear claws instead of hands, he managed to dexterously reach into a pocket, pull out a pack of cigarettes, and light one before he started walking away.

"Thanks, Cape."

Captain Cosmos

"Do we really have to tangle again?" asked Captain Cosmos. "We aren't on the same side of the fence, but it doesn't mean we should be flinging turds at each other over the top."

He was quite pleased at that one. 

"Respecful enemies. That can be done, you know. We can keep deals, or at least I can. If the time ever comes when you have those claws round my thought, remember this moment. I could have crushed you, but I didn't."

"And smoking is bad for your health," he added, as he flew up and away. 

Time to check on that girl, that cage, and Bear Knuckle's word. Perhaps there were more clues to be gathered...

(GM Post)

The man grunted again. He would think about it. That wasn't too bad for a lug who had been a supervillain for more decades than some people had been alive.

But with Captain Cosmos flying off, returning to the park, he got to see that things were calming down, at least a little. The masked guards had fled, the little girl was being held by her grandfather, and cameras caught the descent of Captain Cosmos.

"After disappearing, we can confirm that Captain Cosmos has returned; he is not holding Bear Knuckle, but it appears the criminal has been defeated by the hero! Once more, the heroes of Freedom City have kept us safe!" he heard from a reporter somewhere. Senator Fredrickson waved up at the Captain, gesturing him down, while cameras focused on him with microphones, ready to get an on-site interview right as he landed. The WCZA reporter had the closest place to Fredrickson, which made sense given how tied up WCZA was with this; it had been on their show that Fredrickson had heard the news, after all.

"Captain Cosmos!" Fredrickson called, waving. "Please, come meet my grand daughter."

Captain Cosmos

Sure, why not?

He floated to the ground and finished the journey on foot. It made him feel a bit more normal, with concrete under his boots. Transdimensional power cut a knife into his brain and carved out his sanity, if used too much. He took a breath and refocussed his body back to three dimensions. Not as strong, but strong enough. 

"Pleased to meet you. Both of you," he started, offering his hand. 

"Seems the danger is over. For now. But I guess the story has ended quite yet. With your permission, I would like to try and get to the bottom of this mess, before someone gets hurt..."

(GM Post)

"Absolutely, but that's why I wanted you to talk to her." Fredrickson said, gesturing to the girl. "Tell Captain Cosmos what you told me." he said softly to Gabriela.

The young girl frowned, holding onto her Grandfather tightly as the older man hold her in his arms. She was maybe a bit too old for that, but when terrible danger had passed recently, one often wanted to be close to those who had been in danger.

"Er...thank you Mr. Hero..." she mumbled. "But uh...what I wanted to tell you. The man who had me use my powers on those old guys. He kind of I think accidentally said something he shouldn't. When the people guarding me were being rude to my grandpa and I told them to shut up, he told them off and gave me a snack. He said he had a kid like my age." It's a little thin on details as appropriate for an 8 year old recuperating from a traumatic experience, and it's not really enough to go on yet, but it's the start of something, certainly. The Senator also looked seriously at Captain Cosmos.

"And sir, let me tell you...I do apologize for the harsh words I've said to you and your kind before. I know trust has to be earned, not given, and I have a long way to go. But you've done right by me tonight, Captain Cosmos. And I don't forget things like that." Fredrickson said.

"If you want to get out of here, I can keep the media at bay so you don't have to."

Captain Cosmos

"Mr Hero. I like that," said Captain Cosmos with a smile. "Its Captain Cosmos if you want my name, madam..."

He bowed at the girl. 

"A kid your age, hmmm? Interesting..."

Lots of people had kids around eight. Not much to go on, but anything was better than nothing. And perhaps it was a clue to the villains personality. If indeed, he was a villain. In Captain Cosmos' experience, things were usually a bit more nuanced than that. The mastermind behind this spectacle had some sympathy with the girl. And motivation? To manipulate the senator? It sounded likely. 

"I'm fine with the media normally, but I dont think this is the time or place, not after your girl's shock. And I appreciate your faith in me, sir. I may not always live up to it, but I hope you think well enough of me even if I do come up short sometimes."

He looked around and softened his voice to a whisper. 

"I doubt this show is finished. Someone set this up, and we need to stop him, or her. Maybe it wont be your granddaughter next time, maybe it will be someone elses. Maybe I cant stop it. The question is - why this show? Is someone trying to humiliate or manipulate you?"

(GM Post)

"...I truly do not know, Captain Cosmos." he mumbles. "You would think, of course, this was entirely for my Granddaughter's powers, but then why give her back. Or if they didn't need her anymore, why the spectacle instead of just returning her. You're right that this must have something to do with my new positions; it wasn't enough to take her, they had to add humiliation and grief to me as well. But I don't know who could do such a thing, or who would try...I will have to try and see if I can figure that out. And if I can, I will certainly be sure to tell you, Captain. You've earned at least that much for risking yourself to save her."

Captain Cosmos

Captain Cosmos rubbed his chin. 

"Quite the conundum..."

"If you find out, speak out," he said. "I do... ah... keep abreast of the news, so you can be assured if the media know, I will know. I cannot reveal my secret identity, for reasons that I am sure you are aware. If anything, this night has demonstrated more than ever why I wear a mask. But I am a man under this mask, and I do promise to help, if I can."

"But for now, let us be grateful the fates have smiled on us. And please, be careful. Both of you."

And with that, the Multi-dimensional Man soared into the sky, and shot off. 

But had he seen the last of this mystery?

Time would tell...