Maxima

Geez3r

Maxima's Chemical Dependency Complication states the following: 

Chemical Dependency: Maxima uses a chemical regimen to augment her powers, and also to keep them in check. If left devoid of these treatments over a period of time, or if a large concentration of other chemicals or formulas make it into her system, it can throw her powers out of whack.

So what does that mean in practice?  Well, funnily enough, it gives the GM ways to complicate the situation.  Here are some examples you can use in play:

1.  Lower the ranks of some or all of Maxima's powers.  This is pretty straight forward, no chemicals means no powers.  This will most likely crop up if Maxima can't take her formulas on a regular basis, like if she was captured, or if her equipment was destroyed, or her supply was otherwise blocked.  A possible benchmark is 1 rank per day.  This could be sped up if Maxima has been under strenuous activity lately and therefore used more energy up. 

2. Increasing Maxima's powers.  Ok, bear with me a second.  Maxima may get stronger or tougher, but you should also slap some restriction on those powers (and by extension her old ones).  For example, her Enhanced Strength gains the Full Power and Lethal Only drawbacks.  Suddenly her strength is a liability rather than an asset.  Or for more fun, have her Powers be at a random rank each round.  This scenario is likely going to come about when additional chemicals and formulas are added into Maxima's system. 

3.  Add drawbacks & flaws to her powers.  Related to the above, you could just outright make it suck to be her.  Her muscles bulk up unnecessarily giving her the Distracting Flaw, making her effectively flat-footed for the duration.  The temporary disability drawback is especially good for things like this.  If she grows spiny bone spurts from her hands a la Doomsday, give her the drawback of No Fine Manipulators.  Or make her Mute because her vocal chords have changed such that they can't make a pitch within the human range of hearing.  Or make her deaf, as her ear drum is now so super strong, it doesn't register normal sound. 

4. Have Maxima save against an additional effect.  Maybe the chemicals don't provoke an immediate effect as her body tries to fight off the chemicals.  The Nausea effect is especially good to model such a situation.  Fatigue and/or Stun is another good option as the body has to work extra hard to stave off any potential changes. 

5.  Give Maxima additional powers.  Have her powers mutate out of control.  Suddenly she sprouts two more Arms from Additional Limbs.  Or her body gets all rubbery, so you give her Elongation.  Really anything you could conceive of for Shapeshifting is fair game.  You could even make cosmetic changes so that no one recognizes her.  An especially nasty idea if the chemicals from fighting some sort of monster and now she looks like the monster.  Double trouble if she can't talk!

• 1 year later...

Introduction

Who are you? Sum yourself up in one sentence.

The big mean science machine! =P

Do you have any nicknames, street names, titles, or nom de plume?

Cassie out of uniform to my friends, Doctor to my collegues when we're being professional, and Maxima in costume.

What is your full birth name?

Cassandra Maria Steel

Where do you live?

My current residence is an old decommisioned research lab from Grant Conglomerates in the industrial side of the City Center.

How old are you? What year were you born (if applicable)?

29 (DOB: November 19, 1984)

Physical Traits

What is your gender? If not applicable, please explain.

Female.

How would you describe your heritage?

Excessively Caucasian.

How tall are you?

5'8†as Cassandra, 8'8â€-ish as Maxima, my size fluctuates slightly in the latter form

What is your body type?

I have the physique of a professional weight lifter.

Do you have any particular weaknesses, such as allergies or physical disabilities?

Nope, fit as a fiddle.

How do you carry yourself? Are you graceful, or heavy on your feet? Can you be stealthy, do you walk with confidence?

I tend to carry myself with an air of confidence unless I'm expected to be social, I don't really like crowds of strangers that aren't intellectuals. I've been told I walk like I've got weights on my shoes, so nobody is calling me graceful or stealthy anytime soon.

Describe your skin, eye, and hair color.

I've got dirty blonde hair that's been getting closer and closer to outright brown these past couple of years, likely due to genetic tampering. It's pretty curly by default, but it has been straightening out for the same reasons as above. I've got a rather pale complexion, a combination of my heritage and my powers making it harder for my skin to burn. I've got dark brown eyes.

How do you wear your hair, if applicable? Do you have facial hair?

I usually either have it up in a pony tail, or just wear it straight. Not into the high maintenance styles.

Do you consider yourself attractive? Do others?

I'd say I'm fairly attractive. Some people get turned off by the muscles, but others like it. I usually don't get the compliments unless I make a conscious effort to gussy myself up, and then they're usually of the backhanded variety.

Do you have any scars, tattoos, piercings, or birthmarks?

I've got a few faint scars from an outdoorsy youth, but they're hard to makeout. Powers and identity make tattoos or piercings a poor decision, otherwise I would likely have some tattoos.

Do you resemble anyone famous?

Not that I'm aware of.

Do you have a dominant hand?

Righty.

What kind of clothing do you wear?

I tend to dress pretty conservatively. I favor pants over skirts or dresses. The only time I wear anything remotely revealing is when I go to the gym, and that's usually tights and a tank top.

Do you wear makeup?

Generally no, I work with too many chemicals for that to be a good idea.

What is your vocal range? Is your voice distinctive in some way?

I have a fairly husky voice for a woman, and I don't really have much range, can't carry a tune to save my life.

Do you have any distinctive habits, nervous tics, or mannerisms? Where did they come from, and what causes them? Do other people notice and remark on these habits? Do they annoy you or other people?

When I get nervous I tend to fall back into talking into jargon, or take emotion out of the equation and talk objectively as possible. I've never been brilliant at the social scene, but the sciences I just get. If you can't solve a big problem, break it into smaller ones that you can.

History

Where do you come from?

Freedom City, born and raised.

Have you made any major moves, or do you live in your hometown?

I've lives in a few different parts of the city, but I've always been in Freedom.

Do you feel loyal to your country of citizenship? Do you consider yourself patriotic? How do you feel about the government of your country?

I'm not really patriotic, and I don't have particularly strong bonds for the country. The government is run by idiots. I could do a better job than most of them, but first I'd have to get the votes and I'd suck at that part of the job.

How do you feel about the place you come from?

It's an interesting place to live I'll give it that. Never a boring day in Freedom. It's got its ups and downs. I've been lucky enough have mostly ups.

Growing up, were most of the people you knew similar to you, or were you somehow a minority? How did that affect you?

I was pretty similar to most people up until middle school where I started to get really smart and really strong. It kind of kicked in then that I was meant for better things.

Is there something you've always been really good at or really bad at? How has that affected your life?

I was a big enough nerd that I breezed through school, and strong enough to beat up anyone who called me a nerd. It was a nice combination. Looking back on it now, it basically gave me free reign to kind of make my own calls and do what I thought was right.

Were there any traumatic experiences in your early years (death of a family member, abandonment, orphaned at an early age)?

Nope, I've lead a great life.

Briefly describe a defining moment in your childhood and how it influenced your life.

10th grade biology class. I read the textbook over the weekend one time, and the whole genetics and mutation thing kind of stuck with me. I knew then that I had to understand for myself what was happening in my body.

What stupid things did you do when you were younger?

So many fist fights. If I wasn't a straight A student I would have gotten kicked out of school.

Where did you go to school? How much school did you have, and did you enjoy it?

I went to HIT for my doctorates. One in organic chemistry and the other in biology, specialized in metahumans.

Do you have any mementos of your childhood? What are they, and why did you keep them? If you have none, why not?

A few stuffed animals and photographs from when I was younger are in my bedroom, nothing too out of the ordinary there.

When did you decide to become a hero? Why? Did anyone influence you one way or another in the decision?

I kind of decided that is what I was going to do all the way back in middle school, but my powers weren't quite stable enough until I was well into my mid 20's to responsibly do anything. I had the power to shape the world into a better place, it would be wrong for me to do anything else with my gifts.

Is the reason you give people for becoming a hero different than your real reason? If so, why?

Nope. I am who I am.

Do you have any deep, dark secrets in the past that may come back to haunt you?

Not really no, I've lead a pretty straight laced life.

Do you represent yourself as being different from who you really are? Why?

I try to do a bit of seperation between Cassandra and Maxima, but truth be told, I'm a terrible actor.

If you do have these secrets, what do you fear would happen if the truth became known? How far would you go to protect those secrets?

No secrets for me, other than the identity thing. But even if that did come out, it wouldn't be the end of the world.

Do you have any sort of criminal record? If so, is it public knowledge?

I haven't done anything really illegal. A few fights back in middle school & high school.

Family

What are your biological parents' names?

Alexander & Lisa Steels (father & mother respectively)

Were you raised by them? If not, please explain and describe who raised you.

Yeppers

What was their standing in the community? What did/do they do for a living?

Upper middle class, lower upper class. She was the daughter of Alexander and Lisa Steels, the former being a professor at the Hanover Institute of Technology, and the later being a lab tech for AEGIS.

Where are your parents now?

Still in Freedom, still at work.

Did your family stay in one area or move around a lot?

Stayed pretty consistenly in Freedom, moved to different parts once or twice.

How did you get along with their parents? How do you get along with them now (if applicable).

I get along great with them. I still see them pretty regularly. We try to get together for dinner at least once a month, but it's usually 2 or 3 times a month.

How do your parents view you now, or how would they?

Unless they're lying to me they're very proud of me, and the don't even know about the hero thing, but I'm sure they would be proud of that do.

Do you have any siblings? If so how many and what are their names? Describe your relationship with them.

Nope, only child.

Do you love or hate one member of the family in particular?

Nope, not much of an extended family. My mother is an only child, and my dad's brother lives out in California. Only seen him 3 times in my life. Seems like a good guy though.

Is any member of the family special to you in any way (perhaps, as a confidant, mentor, or arch-rival)?

No nothing like that. We just get along well with each other.

Are there any black (or white) sheep in the family (including you)? If so, please explain.

I guess I stick out a bit due to the spandex, but dad works for AEGIS so it evens out a bit.

Do you have a notorious or celebrated ancestor? If so, please explain, including how it has affected your life.

My parents are pretty well known in certain circles, but not to the lay person.

Do you have a partner and children currently? If so, please describe them.

Nope I'm single. Not really sure how a relationship would work right now.

If you do not have a partner or children, do you want them someday? How firm are you in your opinion on this, and what might change your mind?

No one wants to be alone all the time. I'd like to have kids some day, but not sure what time that would be.

What type of person would be your ideal mate?

They need to be smart, that's the deal breaker category. I'd prefer someone quiet and confident, someone I would feel at ease just curled up to them as I read a book or something.

Relationships

Do you have any close friends? If so, please describe them, and how you came to be close to them.

I lost touch with a lot of my high school friends when I went off to college, I was the only one of them to get into HIT. Didn't make any major friends in college, I was too focused on my studies.

Do you have a best friend? If so, how did they become your best friend? How close are you to your best friend?

Now that I think about it... I guess I really don't have a best friend.

If you were to go missing, who would worry about you?

My coworkers and my family.

Have you lost any loves? If so, how did it happen, and what did you do?

Not really a love per se, but Michael Williams was my high school sweetheart. I caught him kissing Emily Wallace and broke his nose.

Do you have any bitter enemies? If so, please describe them and their history with you.

Emily, and the above bit is about the extent of our history. She got really mad with me because this was a bit before prom, and Michael's nose was still broken the night of the dance, so I ruined her photos with him. Yeah she was a real winner.

If you have enemies, how do you think they might attempt to work against you in the future?

If Emily is still holding a grudge, she's doing a poor job of making me realize it.

What is the worst thing someone has done to you?

The above.

Where do your loyalties lie? In what order?

Family, science, Freedom City.

Who or what do you trust the most? Why?

Science. It is literally the summation of all knowledge ever acculated by the human race, nothing is purer.

Who or what do you despise? Why?

Willful ignorance. You should not take pride in not knowing something, you should see it as an opportunity to better yourself.

What qualities do you admire most in other people? Are these qualities you possess?

Inquisitiveness and curiousity. Anyone can accept the world as they believe it to be, it takes a great man to challenge their own world views.

What qualities do you hate most in other people? Do you have any of those qualities?

People who refuse to accept that they're wrong. I can be stubborn, but when shown conclusive evidence I know when to fold them. It's got to be conclusive though.

Do you have a secret identity? If so, who knows it? Do you hide it from people who are close to you? Why?

I hide it from everyone. They would worry to much, and I don't want to put anyone I love in danger.

Do you work well on teams and in groups? Are you a leader or a follower?

I haven't done much in the way of team ups so I can't really answer that. Probably a follower for that reason.

Are you on a super team? If so, how do you get along with your comrades? Do you trust them, or do you have secrets from them?

Nope.

Are you a member of any church, fraternal organization, club, committee, political party, or other group? How much time do you spend on that?

A token affiliation with MENSA.

Personality & Beliefs

Who are your heroes?

Probably the Freedom League more than anyone else. Sure there are great scientists, but I guess I kind of see them more as rivals now than heroes.

Did you ever become disillusioned with former heroes or idols? If so, why and what were the circumstances?

I was one of those fools that always falls for the “hero turns evil but was acually good all along†things that seems to happen pretty regularly. I've got better at spotting that now

Do you like being a hero? If so, what is the most rewarding part? If not, what makes you keep doing it?

I really do like being a hero. For a while it was just the rush of fighting and the feeling of power I get while Maxed out. But a few months back, I pulled this family out of a car wreck, and while they were recovering in the hospital, their little daughter made this drawing of me saving her mommy and daddy. It is the singularly most adorable and innocent thing I've ever seen and I actually have that picture framed and hanging on the wall in my HQ.

Is there anything that would make you give up hero work, or even switch sides?

I would give it up once the job was done. I would switch sides if they tried to stall scientific progress.

What are your short term goals (what would you like to be doing within a year)?

If I can get some payback on Dr. Simian, that would just make my day.

What are your long term goals (what would you like to be doing twenty years from now)?

I'd like to have cloing figured out by then, or failing that, at least have my Max-out formula be stabilized so I don't need the chemical regimen.

What is your greatest fear? Why? What do you do when something triggers this fear?

Being trapped in my own body. I've had a few scares as I've manipulated my powers, but progress requires risks.

Is there anything you would give you life for?

I'm willing to do it anytime I suit up.

How do you feel about money and material wealth? Do you desire it or disdain it? Are you miserly with what you have, or do you like to share? Is it a mark of success, or a means to an end?

Money is awesome, anyone who says otherwise has too much of it. I tend to burn through it pretty quick on my research, so I'm always on the hunt for more funding sources.

How do you generally treat others?

As I would like to be treated.

Are you a trusting person? Has your trust ever been abused?

I'd like to think I give everyone a fair shot.

Are you introverted (shy and withdrawn) or extroverted (outgoing)? Do you have a lot of self-confidence?

I'm generally pretty introverted. I'm confident in myself, so long as its a subject I'm familiar with.

How do you act around attractive, available members of your preferred sex?

I'm terrible at flirting. I try, but I either go too far or not far enough.

What are your most annoying habits?

I zone out when I'm bored, even if someone is directly talking to me.

Do you feel contempt for any general category of people? Who are they, and why?

This is going to sound terrible, but I really don't get along with a large swath of people who identify as religious. If you're a bible-thumper, I'd much rather just thump you one and get on with my day. It's because they refuse to accept the facts and live in a fantasy world of their own creation.

What is your favorite food? Do you prefer any particular type of food? Do you take the time to enjoy your food, or do you eat as fast as you can?

Rabbit food generally. Toss in some chicken for good measure. I've got a tendency to scarf my food.

What is your favorite drink (alcoholic or otherwise)?

I'll deny it if asked, but jello shots.

What is your favorite treat (dessert)?

Chocolate & peanut butter fudge that my dad makes.

Are there any specific foodstuffs that you find disgusting or refuse to eat?

Tuna is god awful, can't even stand the taste.

What is your favorite color? Are there any colors you dislike?

Blue's my favorite. Not a fan of orange.

What sort of music do you like? Is there any that you hate?

I'm into techno, house, dubstep and all that jazz. I don't care for country.

If you have a favorite scent, what is it?

I actually like the smell of ammonia. I'm weird like that.

Do you have a favorite animal?

Bears.

What is your most treasured possession? Why?

That little girl's drawing of me.

Do you enjoy "roughing it", or do you prefer your creature comforts?

I rarely ever do it, but do I love me a spa trip.

Is there a job or a task you would absolutely refuse to do?

Go to church.

Do you consider yourself a spiritual person? If so, how do your beliefs affect your life?How important is it to you?

I'm anti-spiritual.

Was your faith influenced or molded by anyone special?

Anyone who thinks for themselves.

If you belong to a religious organization, how often do you attend? Do you have a specific place of worship, or friends within the organization? How much do you agree with the beliefs of your organization?

No religion for me thanks. I'll take uncomfortable truth over comfortable lies any day.

Could you kill? Have you killed?

Depending on your stance on stem cells, I have killed. Could I kill a living full grown human being? Yes, I think I could.

What circumstances led to you forming that conviction, or taking that action?

A hero must act for the good of others, regardless of the personal cost.

Are there circumstances under which you believe it is permissible to kill? What are they?

When not doing so would allow innocents to die.

How would you react to watching someone kill another person? Would your reaction be different if the killer was a friend or an enemy of yours?

It would depend on who did it and why. If their actions were just, then they merely acted before I did.

How would you react if something important was stolen from you?

I would take it back.

How would you react to public humiliation?

Been there done that. Fricken iron monkeys. Dust yourself off, get up and try again.

How would you react if a good friend or relative were purposely or accidentally killed? Has it happened to you?

I would not be pleasant to be around to say the least. I would not rest until I found their killer.

What do you consider to be the worst crime someone could commit and why?

Burning a book.

For books are not absolutely dead things, but... do preserve as in a vial the purest efficacy and extraction of that living intellect that bred them. I know they are as lively, and as vigorously productive, as those fabulous Dragon's teeth; and being sown up and down, may chance to spring up armed men. And yet on the other hand unless warriors be used, as good almost kill a Man a good Book; who kills a man kills a reasonable creature, God's image; but he who destroys a good book, kills Reason itself, kills the Image of God, as it were in the eye. Many a man lives a burden to the Earth; but a good Book is the precious life-blood of a master-spirit, embalmed and treasured up on purpose to a life beyond life.

John Milton
Areopagitica

If your life were to end in 24 hours, what five things would you do in those remaining hours?

1. Spend time with my family, and tell them who I am.

2. Back up and distribute all of my research to the Lab.

3. Perform a full backup scan of my own biology in the hopes that it'll give information to scientists so that others can avoid my fate.

4. Get pampered at the spa.

5. Go out with a bang if ya know what I mean.

Career & Training

Do you have any special training in your hero skills? If so, where and how did you get it?

I'm self taught, and it shows. I just kind of hit things. Also I can science.

Who taught you the most about your heroing abilities? What was your relationship with that person?

Still self taught.

Do you have any particularly unusual skills? How did you acquire them?

I can Max-Out due to my chemical regimen and powers. Otherise I'm just a brainy brick.

Do you do something besides hero work for a living? Have you ever done anything else, or do you plan to?

Full time scientist. Hopefully it'll stay that way.

What is your preferred combat style?

Wrasslin'.

Have you ever received any awards or honours?

A few for academic achievement, and a few for my papers post grad.

What skill areas would you like most to improve in? Is there anything you can't do that you wish desperately you could?

I really need to improve my speed, hand-eye coordination and general fighting prowess. If I could fly that'd be the bees knees, but no idea how I'd swing that.

How do you act around people who are more skilled than you in areas you'd like to improve? Are you jealous, or do you try and learn?

I want to learn as much from them as possible.

Lifestyle & Hobbies

What is a normal day for you? How do you feel when something interrupts this routine?

I usually get up and do a light workout, and grab a bite to eat. I also put together my lunch for the day before heading off to work. I exercise a bit more after work before getting dinner, and go on patrol late in the evening hours and/or work down in the lab depending on the day of the week. If this schedule gets interrupted, then the stuff has hit the fan so I got to deal with it.

Do you have any hobbies, or interests outside hero work? What are they, and where did you pick them up?

I play some video games and card games on the side. Simic fatty ramp all the way.

What do you do for fun?

Read mostly, either that or jogging.

Do you have a costume? What does it look like?

Her costume is based on the singlet worn by Olympic weightlifters. It is primarily a light blue, but has a large white strip running down her front and down her back, as well as two smaller stripes on the side of each leg. The boots she wears follow the same color scheme.

How do you normally dress when not in costume?

Fairly conservatively. Pants more than skirts. Tights and tank top when I'm working out though.

What do you wear to bed most nights?

I sleep in the buff.

Do you wear any special jewelry? What is it, and what does it look like?

I occasionally wear a necklace, but that's about it.

Do you have a special place where you keep your valuables?

I've got a few vaults stashed around.

What's your preferred means of local travel? How about long distance?

Jogging mostly. Long distance is whatever gets me there fastest, so usually airplane.

Miscellaneous

Have you ever made a will, or tried to make arrangements for your death? What provisions did you make?

I've got my will in place. Right now, my parents are the benefactors of all of my assets. I've also got a pre-recorded message to my partents explaining everything should I die in the line of duty.

If your features were to be destroyed beyond recognition, is there any other way of identifying your body?

Well I'm about 9ft tall and 4 tons when I'm Maxima, and even as Cassandra, I am not biologically human. Whether or not that'll tie back to me I don't know. I do carry a thumb drive with my biologic information on it, so if that survived, that would be an option.

What would you like to be remembered for after your death?

My scientific achievements and my desire to stand up for progress.

Do you believe you pose a threat to the public? Why or why not?

Of course I do. If I got mind controlled or possessed, I could wreck house. It's just the price I pay for being able to make the world a better place.

What do you perceive as your greatest strength?

Brains & brawn in one convient package.

What do you perceive as your greatest weakness?

My lack of grace, both social and physical.

As a player, if you could, what advice would you give your character? Speak as if he/she were sitting right here in front of you. Use proper tone so they might heed your advice...

Maxima, you have lead a blessed life, and yes I do mean blessed. You are not religious, but by looking down on people just for their beliefs, you categorize them not as a person, but as an obstacle to overcome. At the end of the day, they are people with their own hopes and dreams, just like you. Science without morality and concern for your common man is the path to destruction.