Voltage

He was a bit nervous. This interview was going to be very interesting. A journalist on the internet had asked him, by discreet email, to do a short podcast interview. He had never talked to the press before.

Host: Alright, everyone, welcome to the HeroCast Podcast! Tonight's special guest is the new, up and coming superhero, Voltage!

Voltage: Erm, hi everyone. Sorry, never done anything like this before.

Host: Now, I'll avoid any personal questions. If a question is too personal, go ahead and pass on it. I don't want you to accidentally give something away.

Voltage: *Sigh* okay, that sounds good.

Host: Alright, first question, where were you born?

Voltage: I was born in Freedom City, actually. Can't say where, of course, but yeah.

Host: Alright, then a native. For all the people at home, who obviously can't see you, what do you look like?

Voltage: Well, I'm kinda skinny, and a little tall. About six feet or so. I have gray hair. Too young for that.

Host: Interesting, gray hair you say? How did that happen?

Voltage: I have no idea. It happened around when I got my powers.

Host: So why did you become a superhero?

Voltage: I want to help people. It seems weird, but that's it. I like helping people and doing good things, I guess.

Host: Boy scout type, huh? Oh well, what sort of powers do you have?

Voltage: Well, I can control electricity. Oh, and I'm super smart now. I have this theory on how my brain functions have been enhanced by increased electrical activity, and...yeah, you guys don't want to hear all of that, do you. *laughs*

Host: So, what do you really like, and what do you really hate.

Voltage: I really like to solve problems. I've always been good with computers, so I like to fix them. I don't care for rude, ignorant, or mean people. They get on my nerves.

Host: So how has it been being a new hero?

Voltage: It's honestly been nerve wracking. I'm still learning, and my powers are still growing. It's really crazy.

Host: Are you afraid of anything?

Voltage: Mostly the usual fears. I'm afraid I'm not good enough, or that I'll let someone down when they need me.

Host: So what do you really want to do with your life?

Voltage: Get rich! *laughs* honestly, I want to have enough money to live a comfortable life. I want to come by it honestly. I want to help people along the way.

Host: So what do you think of Freedom City, piece of junk or a great place to live?

VOltage: Eh, it's a balance. There are muggers and murderers, but there are also heroes. I mean, it's not perfect, but I like it here.

Host: So, have any close friends? how do you get along with people?

Voltage: Eh, not too many close friends. I don't like being pushed around, but I tend to get along with people fine. I guess I'm just too normal for most people.

Host: What are you most loyal to?

Voltage: Doing the right thing. I don't like to compromise doing what's right. I hope I never have to make a big call that might hurt anyone.

Host: So, the girls are going to want to know, do you have a significant other?

Voltage: *Nervous laugh* uh, no, no I don't. I haven't really thought about it with becoming a super hero and all. I mean, maybe one day, but not right now.

Host: So, what do the people around you think of you?

VOltage: They probably think I'm a decent guy. I don't hurt anyone, I try to help people. I know my mind gets me in trouble lately. I talk too fast sometimes.

Host: So, do you think of yourself as a role model?

Voltage: I...don't know. I mean, I try to be a good hero, lead by example, etcetera. If you put a kid in front of me that was asking for advice, I don't know what I'd say. I'm not far removed from being a kid myself.

Host: A bit more personal, but are you religious?

Voltage: I used to be blah about religion. I just didn't get it. My powers have opened my eyes to new possibilities, so I'm looking around and seeing what suits me.

Host: Are you part of a team?

Voltage: Eh, not as of this moment. I want to be, though. It'd be nice to have someone tough that can take hits I can't *laughs*. Seriously though, I'd love to belong to a team. I think that I can do a lot more for the world if I had allies to balance my strengths and weaknesses with.

Host: How do you feel about the place of metahumans and other supers in the world?

Voltage: I think we're well respected, but have to toe the line. Ordinary, regular folk have good reason to fear us. We can do some serious damage with our powers and training if we're not careful. With that said, I deeply respect my fellow heroes, and am honored whenever I meet one.

Host: Last but not least, is there anything you'd like to say to the public?

Voltage: The world is still a pretty cool place. You can do good in the world if you try.

Host: Well, that's all we have for today. Thank you, Voltage.

Voltage: Thank you for having me.

Host: Alright, this is HeroCast, signing off.

• 3 months later...

Introduction

Who are you? Sum yourself up in one sentence.

An inexperienced hero trying to make a name for himself.

Do you have any nicknames, street names, titles, or nom de plume?

No, not really, though people tend to call me Thomas instead of Tommy or Tom.

What is your full birth name?

Thomas James Morgan

Where do you live?

Freedom City, in the Kingston part of town.

How old are you? What year were you born (if applicable)?

I'm 18 years old, and I was born in 1993

Physical Traits

What is your gender? If not applicable, please explain.

I'm just a guy.

How would you describe your heritage?

I'm not really sure, I mean, I guess I've mostly got European blood, but I haven't really thought about the specifics.

How tall are you?

I'm almost six feet tall, but not quite.

What is your body type?

I'm kinda skinny, but I'm in decent enough shape.

Do you have any particular weaknesses, such as allergies or physical disabilities?

Nothing specific. I'm a little frail, kinda skinny, so I guess if I had to get into a fist fight I'd lose pretty quickly.

How do you carry yourself? Are you graceful, or heavy on your feet? Can you be stealthy, do you walk with confidence?

My dad has always told me that if you keep your head high, people automatically respect you. I try to keep good posture because of that. Sometimes if I'm feeling really confident I guess I get a bit of swagger to my step.

Describe your skin, eye, and hair color.

I've got a, I don't know, medium caucasian tone? I'm not tanned, but I'm not really all that pale either. My eyes are blue, and I do get compliments on them. My hair is gray, I kinda like it, I kinda don't.

How do you wear your hair, if applicable? Do you have facial hair?

I keep my hair down most of the time, it reaches my neck. I don't grow facial hair very well, so I tend to keep it shaved clean.

Do you consider yourself attractive? Do others?

I guess I'm decent looking, but my shyness kinda makes other people overlook me.

Do you have any scars, tattoos, piercings, or birthmarks?

I've got a few scars from when I was a kid, the biggest one is on my foot from when I scraped it at the beach one summer. Had to get stitches.

Do you resemble anyone famous?

No, not really.

Do you have a dominant hand?

I'm right handed.

What kind of clothing do you wear?

I tend to wear clothing that's comfortable, loose fitting, and plain looking. I'm not fancy.

Do you wear makeup?

No

What is your vocal range? Is your voice distinctive in some way?

I have a smooth sounding tenor voice. It's definitely young sounding.

Do you have any distinctive habits, nervous tics, or mannerisms? Where did they come from, and what causes them? Do other people notice and remark on these habits? Do they annoy you or other people?

Not really, no.

History

Where do you come from?

Right here in Freedom City.

Have you made any major moves, or do you live in your hometown?

Nope, I live in my home town. I was born and raised here, though my parents used to

Do you feel loyal to your country of citizenship? Do you consider yourself patriotic? How do you feel about the government of your country?

I don't like getting into politics much. I like my country, I don't always agree with the government, I'll leave it at that.

How do you feel about the place you come from?

I really do like it here in Freedom City.

Where is your home town? What was/is it like?

I was born in Freedom City, I've never known anywhere else.

Growing up, were most of the people you knew similar to you, or were you somehow a minority? How did that affect you?

I've always been a hard worker, always had good grades. That alienated me in middle school, but once I got in High School I started finding friends. I tend to keep to myself most of the time.

Is there something you've always been really good at or really bad at? How has that affected your life?

I've never been good at sports, and I've always been good with my hands and with computers. Let's just say I went to a High School where jocks got all the girls *laughs*.

Were there any traumatic experiences in your early years (death of a family member, abandonment, orphaned at an early age)?

Not really, no. A broken leg, some scrapes. Nothing especially bad.

Briefly describe a defining moment in your childhood and how it influenced your life.

When I was seven years old, I was being bullied. An older student stepped in and stood up for me. I realized there are two things you can do when you're stronger than other people; you can bully other people, or you can protect them. It really had an effect on me.

What stupid things did you do when you were younger?

I was always a cautious kid, but I do remember getting into a few arguments with adults. I learned at a young age that adults don't like to be wrong when it comes to kid.

Where did you go to school? How much school did you have, and did you enjoy it?

I went to a public school right here in Freedom City. I graduated with honors. I enjoyed school, but I hated getting bullied.

Do you have any mementos of your childhood? What are they, and why did you keep them? If you have none, why not?

I have a few old toys I never got rid of, and an old computer I built with my dad when I was twelve. I still remember all the parts we put in it. I keep the toys because they remind me of happy times, and I keep the computer because I was so proud of myself for doing it.

When did you decide to become a hero? Why? Did anyone influence you one way or another in the decision?

It was three days out of the hospital after my coma. I was experimenting with my powers. It was never a big decision. I knew I had super powers. I could either ignore them, or use them. I wanted to use them, and help people along the way. I came to that decision myself.

Is the reason you give people for becoming a hero different than your real reason? If so, why?

Nope. I enjoy working with my brain and my hands, and I like helping people. Being a superhero lets me do that a lot.

Do you have any deep, dark secrets in the past that may come back to haunt you?

Not really, no. Well, other than stupid kid stuff.

Do you represent yourself as being different from who you really are? Why?

Thomas Morgan is a nerdy, scrawny and shy guy. Voltage is a confident, cunning hero. I present Voltage with a little more, flair, because I feel that, in the heat of the moment, people will respect you and stay calm if you're not scared out of your wits.

If you do have these secrets, what do you fear would happen if the truth became known? How far would you go to protect those secrets?

I am afraid of panicking in costume, I'll be honest. I hope I don't screw up some day.

Do you have any sort of criminal record? If so, is it public knowledge?

Nope, my record is clean.

Family

What are your biological parents' names?

James and Laura

Were you raised by them? If not, please explain and describe who raised you.

Yes, I was raised by my biological parents.

What was their standing in the community? What did/do they do for a living?

My father owns a computer store, my mother helps manage it. They tend to keep to themselves.

Where are your parents now?

Still living in the same house they have for years.

Did your family stay in one area or move around a lot?

Same place.

How did you get along with their parents? How do you get along with them now (if applicable).

I get along fine with my parents. I had some of the usual teenage crap, but everything is fine now.

How do your parents view you now, or how would they?

My dad thinks I'm a hard working student and employee at his shop, mom too.

Do you have any siblings? If so how many and what are their names? Describe your relationship with them.

I have a younger brother named Sam. He and I get along well, though he's way more into sports than I am.

What was your birth order in the family?

I'm the oldest, and Sam was born two years later.

Where are your siblings now (if applicable)? Do they have families of their own? What do they do?

Sam still lives at home

Do you stay in touch with them or have you become estranged?

My relationship with Sam has never been especially strong, really

Do you love or hate one member of the family in particular?

No, not really.

Is any member of the family special to you in any way (perhaps, as a confidant, mentor, or arch-rival)?

My dad and I get along pretty well, he taught me everything I know about computers.

Are there any black (or white) sheep in the family (including you)? If so, please explain.

I have an uncle who's been to jail a few times, he likes to beg for money.

Do you have a notorious or celebrated ancestor? If so, please explain, including how it has affected your life.

Nope, nobody in my family is famous to my knowledge.

Do you have a partner and children currently? If so, please describe them.

Nope, single and not a parent.

If you do not have a partner or children, do you want them someday? How firm are you in your opinion on this, and what might change your mind?

I might want to get married and have kids someday, but I'm not sure.

What type of person would be your ideal mate?

Someone smart, someone who I can relate to.

Relationships

Do you have any close friends? If so, please describe them, and how you came to be close to them.

Not really, no. I was super shy in high school, still am. I have a friend who I used to hang out with, but, I don't know what our friendship is like anymore.

Do you have a best friend? If so, how did they become your best friend? How close are you to your best friend?

Eh, not really, no.

If you were to go missing, who would worry about you?

Mostly my family.

Have you lost any loves? If so, how did it happen, and what did you do?

Losing requires having, and I've never had.

Do you have any bitter enemies? If so, please describe them and their history with you.

There's this crazy scientist I stopped from doing something bad. I think he's still out there.

If you have enemies, how do you think they might attempt to work against you in the future?

I have no idea, but I'm always looking out.

What is the worst thing someone has done to you?

Nearly killed one of my friends.

Where do your loyalties lie? In what order?

Ideals and family, in that order.

Who or what do you trust the most? Why?

My family.

Who or what do you despise? Why?

I despise dishonesty.

What qualities do you admire most in other people? Are these qualities you possess?

Honesty, integrity, and hard work. I like to think I have those.

What qualities do you hate most in other people? Do you have any of those qualities?

Arrogance, malice and ignorance. I like to think I don't have those.

Do you have a secret identity? If so, who knows it? Do you hide it from people who are close to you? Why?

My identity is secret, nobody knows about it. I hide it from my family because I don't want them hurt.

Do you work well on teams and in groups? Are you a leader or a follower?

I don't lead, nor do I follow. If someone has an idea, I'll listen.

Are you on a super team? If so, how do you get along with your comrades? Do you trust them, or do you have secrets from them?

I'm not on a team.

Are you a member of any church, fraternal organization, club, committee, political party, or other group? How much time do you spend on that?

I don't go to church.

Personality & Beliefs

Who are your heroes?

Don't really have any heroes.

Did you ever become disillusioned with former heroes or idols? If so, why and what were the circumstances?

No, not really.

Do you like being a hero? If so, what is the most rewarding part? If not, what makes you keep doing it?

I like being a hero, the best part is knowing I did some good. I keep going because I have made a difference, and want to continue.

Is there anything that would make you give up hero work, or even switch sides?

Give up? I don't know, getting hurt really bad or a major shift in my normal life priorities. Switch sides? Probably not, I'm not a cruel person.

What are your short term goals (what would you like to be doing within a year)?

I want to be in college, and an established hero.

What are your long term goals (what would you like to be doing twenty years from now)?

Wealthy, with a history of making a difference as both a man of wealth and a hero.

What is your greatest fear? Why? What do you do when something triggers this fear?

My greatest fear is failing in costume.

Is there anything you would give you life for?

If it comes down to me, or a group of innocents, there's no question.

How do you feel about money and material wealth? Do you desire it or disdain it? Are you miserly with what you have, or do you like to share? Is it a mark of success, or a means to an end?

Money is a resource like any other. It can be used well, exploited, or used poorly. It really depends.

How do you generally treat others?

With respect and dignity.

Are you a trusting person? Has your trust ever been abused?

I'm a naturally suspicious person, and nobody's really betrayed my trust.

Are you introverted (shy and withdrawn) or extroverted (outgoing)? Do you have a lot of self-confidence?

Very introverted. I am confident, but I still worry.

How do you act around attractive, available members of your preferred sex?

I have no idea. I can't think rationally around pretty girls.

What are your most annoying habits?

Talking too much and using too many big words.

Do you feel contempt for any general category of people? Who are they, and why?

Willfully ignorant people bug me. There's a difference between not knowing, and refusing to know.

What is your favorite food? Do you prefer any particular type of food? Do you take the time to enjoy your food, or do you eat as fast as you can?

My favorite food? I love spicy food.

What is your favorite drink (alcoholic or otherwise)?

Cola, though I don't drink it that often.

What is your favorite treat (dessert)?

I love fresh baked cookies.

Are there any specific foodstuffs that you find disgusting or refuse to eat?

I hate spinach, it just doesn't appeal to me.

What is your favorite color? Are there any colors you dislike?

My favorite color is silver, my least favorite is pink.

What sort of music do you like? Is there any that you hate?

I like electronica and classical. I'm not a fan of heavy metal or rap.

If you have a favorite scent, what is it?

Don't really have one, but I do like the smell of fresh baked bread.

Do you have a favorite animal?

Yes, I find birds of prey to be really cool creatures.

What is your most treasured possession? Why?

A watch that I got from my dad to celebrate graduating from high school. It signified a transition in my life.

Do you enjoy "roughing it", or do you prefer your creature comforts?

I'm no camper, I much prefer my clean and orderly bedroom.

Is there a job or a task you would absolutely refuse to do?

I admit, I'm a bit of a wimp when it comes to getting dirty.

Do you consider yourself a spiritual person? If so, how do your beliefs affect your life?How important is it to you?

I used to sort of ignore religion, but my powers have made me rethink my position.

Was your faith influenced or molded by anyone special?

No, not really.

If you belong to a religious organization, how often do you attend? Do you have a specific place of worship, or friends within the organization? How much do you agree with the beliefs of your organization?

I don't belong to any organizations.

Could you kill? Have you killed?

Probably not, and no.

What circumstances led to you forming that conviction, or taking that action?

Mostly just believing it's wrong. I think that there's always a better solution.

Are there circumstances under which you believe it is permissible to kill? What are they?

I think that, if absolutely, positively no other option presents itself, only then is it permissable.

How would you react to watching someone kill another person? Would your reaction be different if the killer was a friend or an enemy of yours?

I would be upset, definitely. How upset does depend on who.

How would you react if something important was stolen from you?

Possessions can be replaced.

How would you react to public humiliation?

I'd get out of the situation as fast as I could.

How would you react if a good friend or relative were purposely or accidentally killed? Has it happened to you?

I would be very upset, and it's never happened to me.

What do you consider to be the worst crime someone could commit and why?

Murder, because taking a life is always wrong.

If your life were to end in 24 hours, what five things would you do in those remaining hours?

I have no idea, really. I try not to worry about stuff like that.

Career & Training

Do you have any special training in your hero skills? If so, where and how did you get it?

No, not really, I just use my knowledge and intelligence, also practice.

Who taught you the most about your heroing abilities? What was your relationship with that person?

I'm self taught.

Do you have any particularly unusual skills? How did you acquire them?

No, not really.

Do you do something besides hero work for a living? Have you ever done anything else, or do you plan to?

I work at my family computer store, fixing and selling computers.

What is your preferred combat style?

Lots and lots of electricity applied in concentration, either that, or nifty tricks.

Have you ever received any awards or honours?

Yes, I graduated from high school with high honors.

What skill areas would you like most to improve in? Is there anything you can't do that you wish desperately you could?

I want to learn combat tactics more. I really wish I were more physical, but I'm just not.

How do you act around people who are more skilled than you in areas you'd like to improve? Are you jealous, or do you try and learn?

I'm always willing to learn new things. My powers have opened me up to all sorts of new opportunities and chances.

Lifestyle & Hobbies

What is a normal day for you? How do you feel when something interrupts this routine?

Wake up, eat breakfast, go to work, come home, eat dinner, hop on the internet, do hero work. My routine isn't set, I shake it up constantly.

Do you have any hobbies, or interests outside hero work? What are they, and where did you pick them up?

Computers and electronics. I'm always toying with new ideas.

What do you do for fun?

Play computer games and research new things.

Do you have a costume? What does it look like?

It's black, with silver lightning bolts.

How do you normally dress when not in costume?

Blue jeans and t-shirts, except at work.

What do you wear to bed most nights?

Sweat pants

Do you wear any special jewelry? What is it, and what does it look like?

Not a fan of jewelry

Do you have a special place where you keep your valuables?

Don't really have any valuables

What's your preferred means of local travel? How about long distance?

I like to fly, or teleport.

Miscellaneous

Have you ever made a will, or tried to make arrangements for your death? What provisions did you make?

No, I don't have much to will away.

If your features were to be destroyed beyond recognition, is there any other way of identifying your body?

Not really, other than genetics or something.

What would you like to be remembered for after your death?

As a decent guy and hero.

Do you believe you pose a threat to the public? Why or why not?

If I turned evil, I could do a lot of damage. I can't imagine what would drive me to that.

What do you perceive as your greatest strength?

My intelligence

What do you perceive as your greatest weakness?

Lack of confidence

As a player, if you could, what advice would you give your character? Speak as if he/she were sitting right here in front of you. Use proper tone so they might heed your advice...

You really need to relax, and realize that you will grow into your role as a hero with time. These things don't come easy, even for someone as smart as you.