Bobby at the Crossroad

Tiffany Korta

GM

In most cities there are a few of these special places, tuck away only know to the locals and the lucky souls who know about such places. This was one such places a Jazz club tucked between two building looks totally innocuous, no signs showed where or what the club was called.

The club had no official name but most called it after the one of freedom's cities finest jazz musician who use to play there during it heyday of the 20's and 30's

Chester's.

It had survived everything from the Great Depression to more recent events.

The club was currently owned by Bobby Johnson who claimed to be over 90 but only looked around half his age. The only reason people believed him was that he could remember details of things that happened since the late 20's in meretricious detail.

Thanks to his efforts the club was filled was jazz of all kinds all day's with the best acts even being payed for the pleasure.

Of cause in the evening the best act would own the stage and Bobby would sit in the corner holding court and listening to the acts.

Four generations of the Brown family had played this club, from the namesake back in the 20s, when old Chester played the blues and made some forays into the jazz sound, to 2011, when the latest scion of the line sat on an old stool in the smoky confines of the club. Bobby was practically a member of their family by this point, all things considered.

Jazz wasn't Josh's usual thing, but he had played this place for years now, and is was still one of his favorite spots to play. The crowds weren't huge, but you knew that each and every person out there loved the sound and what you were bringing to the table; when he felt like doing something raw and unplugged, and wanted to know it would be appreciated, this was where he went. Sometimes he roped a couple friends into playing with him when he came up here, but this time it was just him and his guitar. Josh was working through a slow, soulful tune that he had written recently, and the crowd seemed to be into it.

Getting to the end of the song, and thus his set, Josh leaned forward in his stool, speaking into the mic. "Thank you. Have a good night." Standing up, Josh turned to begin packing up his stuff and making way for the next act that might be playing that night. Once he was done, and his things were tucked away behind the stage for him to load into his car when he left, he made his way over to where Bobby was sitting, offering a small grin and a shrug. "Not the kind of thing I usually write, but I figure I'm playing this place, I've got to bring the style, right?"

Lucy was on a bit of a nostalgia trip. After her night spent doing the Charleston she wanted just to listen to some Jazz.

So she literally and physically took a quick trip down memory lane she was overjoyed that the old speakeasy was still standing and best off all still open.

She was particularly proud of her latest purchase a brightly patented knee high dress, it's wasn't exactly proper flapper wear but she particularly happy with the results. But after everything that had happened to her over the last few months she still bought her jacket along just in case.

She slipped into the club and took a seat in time to catch the end of Josh's act.

GM

“Damn boy I still think you're wasted on the Blues. Your whole family was born for Jazz, now I remember when you Great Grandfather took to stage...†it was an old tale and an old act. As he talked he counted out the bills, more than he would pay any other act in the place. “And don't to say anything about it being to much.†he pressed the bills into Josh's hands “Without you, without your family, this place would be nothing.â€

He looked around his club and fixed on a pale white woman in a bright colorful dress.

“Now there's something you don't see everyday. And take your mind out of the gutter young man, and look her.†he tapped with his cane, which he never seemed to need, one of the many photographs which lined the wall.

The photograph was old from the original speakeasy days of the 20's in the center of the picture surrounded by other flappers with a woman who was the splitting image of the woman now sitting there.

Josh shrugged as he took a seat across from Bobby, chuckling. "You know me, Bobby Jo. I don't get tied down to genre. Just do what you feel, and all that. I was thinking that I'd bring my electric and amp and blow the roof off with the rock, but I'm pretty sure you could take me if I pulled that in your club." He listened to Bobby's story about his great-grandfather. He'd heard it a thousand times, of course. He'd heard them all a thousand times. Still, it was nice to hear about it sometimes. Chester Sr. had died young, long before Josh was born, but Josh would have liked to have met him sometimes. He laughed at Bobby's last comment. "I think it's the other way around, Bobby. You've gotten how many Browns started in this business now? Speaking of, Dad and Grandpa say hi. Grandpa wants to come out sometime, but his heart has been acting up again. And my mom wanted to make sure you were coming for Thanksgiving this year."

Josh laughed when Bobby drew his attention to a woman in the corner. "Hey, I'm not the dirty old man here, old man. You want me to chat her up for you, I can do that, though." He looked over to the picture Bobby pointed out, whistling quietly at the resemblance. "Huh, look at that." He glanced over at the pale woman, trying to do so surreptitiously, not wanting to cause a scene or anything. "Looks like everything but that dress jumped right out of the picture. Maybe they're related?"

GM

“I wouldn't miss your mamma's cooking for anything, and you tell you grandpa to take it easy he's not getting any younger.†Bobby smiled his large toothy grin.

He looked back towards the young woman and was thoughtful for a while.

“Now you weren’t raised no fool Josh Brown! This ain't the movies where everyone look like there ancestors. Now I see a lot of your Great Grandfather in you, but there's also a lot of you in there.â€

He looked thoughtful full a moment, tapping his lips with his cane.

“Anyway she's not just any old flapper who walked in the door, slumming with the Jazz Men. I don't suppose they teach you young ones anything about history these days but that pictures is of Lucy Harker. She made a big difference of how the law treats these Super's.â€

Josh raised his hands in a mock guarding position when Bobby told him off, chuckling. "Hey, I'm just saying. If it's the same girl, I hope I look that young when I'm 70 years older. Not everyone ages like you, old man." Josh leaned back in his chain, scratching the stubble on his chin in thought. "So, what are you thinking, vampire, bride of Frankenstein kind of thing? City's seen weirder in her time." His mind flashed back to the Gorgon Invasion, but he managed to keep a grin on his face. The city certainly had seen weirder.

When Bobby mentioned the past, Josh leaned forward in his chain, leaning an elbow on the table. "There's a story there, I'm guessing? You gonna tell it, or should I go get it from her?"

Bobby settled himself down, a pose he often took when he had a tale to tell.

“It was 1927 and the first of the Mystery Men were about including the Blues...â€

he trailed off at something he'd seen at the draw.

“But I'm afraid the story will have to wait, I have some unfortunate business to attend to.†he waved at Otis bouncer.

“Looks like it time to meet the Devil at the crossroads again. Let's just hope I have a guardian angel on my side.â€

Otis came over with two others a man a woman in incredibly sharp suits, ignoring Josh completely they focus all there attention on Bobby.

“Gentleman, lady, Let's take this to my office, it has wonderful views of the alley.â€

Whilst Lucy was enjoying the acts, though this act wasn't as good as the last, she was still keeping an eye out for any trouble. The kind you often got in all clubs and bars.

So she caught the two sharply dressed at the door almost straight away, time may have changed but they just screamed gangster at her. A hunch that was confirmed when she spotted some kind of pistol like bulge in there jackets.

It wasn't really her concern, but the guy, the owner she guess, might be in some kind of trouble with the Mob. And she did have a history with the Mob.

Seeing that they were leaving for the back she made her way towards the alley at the rear, hoping that the club's layout hadn't changed much since her day.

Josh had been settling in for his little hero history lesson when the two hoods came over to their table. Apparently they weren't exactly trained, because Josh noticed right away the heat that they were trying to conceal under their clothes. He quirked an eyebrow at Bobby's response; what did he know? Still, Bobby was pretty much family, and Josh wasn't going to let him get shaken down by two amateur mobsters in any case.

Josh stood up, making his way to the back of the stage. He looked around, making sure that he was alone, before breaking into his guitar case. He changed his clothes from the more casual wear he had worn to the club, to the grey suit and gloves of the Bluesman. He knew the club's layout like the back of his hand by this point even without Bobby's little hint; he figured that the alley was probably going to be the best bet for getting into Bobby's office.

So, making sure that no one was watching once more, the Bluesman made his way towards the backstage exit to the alley.

Lucy cursed her luck, why did she wear the dress it always seemed she was getting into trouble. She'd just had to hope the jacket would be enough to keep her modest. And that the dress would look good as a mini.

The only lit window, were she hoped they were meeting were high on the wall more to let in light than enjoy the view. She scanned the alley and spotted the obligatory dumpsters. To noisy to push around but...

Quickly scanning to see if anyone was watching she lifted the dumpster as quietly as she could before placing in down near the windows and silently clambering up.

Bluesman made his own way out into the alley, but was surprised to see someone else out there as well. After a moment, he recognized it as the woman from inside the club that Bobby had pointed out. Perhaps there was something to what the old man was saying after all? But was she here to help Bobby, or the mobsters? He figured that there was at least one easy way to find out. Assuming it didn't get him killed, of course. But hey, you only lived once, right?

Bluesman stepped out into the alley himself, his dress shoes clicking on the asphalt of the ground. He tipped his hat down on his head slightly, straightening out his tie. "This alley taken?"

On spotting Bluesman the young woman did something totally unexpected, she threw herself at him with an unexpected speed throwing her arms around him.

“OhmygooditisyouwowI'msuchafan†she paused and drew a breath “Sorry I'm such a fan of yours. I dodn't surpose you remember me. It was late I was going home from a court case, well the court case. And you stepped out and tapped your fedora and said Don't worry I'll keep your safe ma'am.â€

She stepped back looking for all the world like a giddy school girl.

“I'm sorry where are my manners. I'm Lucy, Lucy Harker.â€

Bluesman wasn't exactly sure what he had been expecting, but a hug certainly wasn't it. After she stepped back from his, he straightened his tie and hat, scratching the back of his head. He tried to remember the situation that the woman described; he didn't remember doing anything like that, and he didn't have enough experience to have all of it start blending together, he thought. "I didn't realize that I even had fans. Haven't been at this thing that long." Then, he remembered what Bobby had been talking about, and the picture that he had seen, and it clicked in his head. Seemed there was something to this lady, after all. Or she was just crazy, but this city had seen much weirder, and he wasn't exactly in the position to be too skeptical. "I think you're looking for the last Bluesman; I'm the new one. Not that I don't appreciate the hug, mind. Most people just try to hit me."

He turned back towards the window, pointing towards it. "Sorry to cut this short, but a guy I know is getting shook down in there, and I should probably get to doing something about it. Talk in a bit?"

Lucy looked embarrassed, smoothing down her jacket and trying not to catch his eye.

She took of her sunglasses to reveal eyes as black as the lens themselves and finally looked properly at the young Bluesman.

“Ah yes that would have been you Grandfather? Great Grandfather? But yes your right, not time to waste.â€

She walked over to the wall, crouching down and cupping her hands.

“It'll be quieter if I lift you up. Then you can find out what's happening for both of us.†she gave a broad friendly smile “Don't worry I'm a lot stronger than I look, it's because I’m so well preserved.â€

Bluesman shrugged. "Can't tell you who I am, of course. Secret identity and all that. Might not be related at all, you know. Anyway, yeah, let's do this thing." He figured that the zombie lady or whatever knew what she was talking about, so he nodded when she offered him a leg up, tucking his grapple gun into his belt. He stepped up his foot into her hands, bracing himself for the lift up and ready to grab onto the ledge.

“A secret identity yes I should try that one of these days†she gave a cheeky smile.

She then smoothly lifted Bluesman smoothly up to the window; it took her no effort as though the he weighed nothing at all. She locked her arms in place offering the Bluesman a stable viewing platform of the events of the scene in the room.

Someone had thoughtfully left the window open; the voices drifted through explained this lucky coincidence.

“There you go I’m afraid an old man like me can’t break the habit. My doctor say’s I should give these up.†He waved around a large cigar “Would either of you like one, there Cuban this place has an reputation to uphold.â€

The guy sitting there looked uncomfortable, probably unnerved by Bobby constant chatter. The woman however was a different matter she held herself with some confidence effortlessly taking everything in whilst sipping whiskey, some of Bobby’s finest.

Bluesman took in the scene, noticing that neither of the two had drawn their guns yet. Which gave him a bit of time to work with. He looked down towards the woman, nodding to her, before pulling himself up at the window. He pulled himself through the opening with trained agility, vaulting through the window quickly and rolling. One hand held his hat on his head as he looked up towards the two thugs, a grin playing on his features. "Sorry. Am I interrupting something?"

The man on Bluesman’s dramatic entry seemed to panic going straight for his gun, the woman however seem unnaturally calm, put an arm to stop her partner.

“Now there’s no need for violence. Mr Bluesman here is just worried we’re up to no good.†She gave a concerned look “When we just want to talk to Mr Johnson about him storing something for us.â€

She walked forward and put a hand on his chest.

“You can understand that can’t you? Why don’t you just sit down and join us?â€

Outside ignored by all there was a general clattering and swearing, in numerous languages as Revenant hauled herself up to the window.

Bluesman felt...something affecting his mind. He focused on the mental training his grandfather had drilled into him, focusing on reality. However, a dopey grin came over his face as the woman put her hand on his chest. "Yeah, that's a good idea...Let's just sit down here..." Bluesman began walking around the desk towards the chairs, and incidentally towards the male gangster.

When Bluesman got within arm's reach of the man, however, his expression hardened and he lashed out hard, aiming a strong punch at the man's jaw. He turned towards the woman, smiling brashly. "Sorry lady, but I'm better than that." He raised his hands in a boxing guard, ready to fight. He didn't normally like hitting women, but he got the feeling that gentlemanly behavior wasn't exactly going to be rewarded here, with the whole "messing with your mind" thing.

GM

Totally caught by surprise the gangster staggered back more in shock from the force of the blow.

“Damn supers they’ve always spoiling everything.†He pulled his large pistol from its holster.

The woman just smiled “It’s a shame such a nicely built young man; hopefully he doesn’t have any more surprises.â€

With all their attention focused on the Bluesman, Bobby always knowing when to back out from a fight silently slipped out of the room locking the door behind him.

For now Bluesman was alone in the room with two people who wanted to hurt him, just another ordinary day.

Bluesman glanced back at the gangster, pivoting on his heel and aiming another hard haymaker at the man's jaw. "Don't take the hint, do you? Stay down!" He noticed Bobby slip out of the door. That was a relief; making sure that Bobby didn't get hurt would just add another variable to the situation. Hopefully his backup managed to get into the window soon.

GM

The gangster didn’t seem to see the second punch and whilst he hadn’t gone down he was swaying.

The woman’s reaction was confusing; she stood there totally relaxed clapping at Bluesman’s actions.

“You’re doing very well I must say, but do we really need all this violence? After all I’m just a simple businesswoman and not here to start a fight.†She gave a broad friendly smile, looking as she said totally non-threatening.

Just what was she doing, why was she just standing there talking? It was an unusual tactic in such a situation.

Behind Bluesman the gangster aimed his gun to give the killing shot.

“Actually I’d look again.â€

From the window Revenant came flying down, a well-aimed kick connecting the gangster’s already sore jaw. The force of the blow was just too much for the poor guy who when crashing down to the grown.

“Sorry I’m late Bluesman, but there wasn’t anyone to give me a lift up.†She gave a friendly smile “So who’s your friend here?â€

“I’m not his friend, and I don’t believe we’ve been introduced. It’s a shame you won’t be staying here for long.â€

Then clutching her head revenant collapsed to the ground, blood pouring from her ears.

As Bluesman came to his senses he saw two things, the remaining gangster sat in Bobby's chair enjoying his finest Whiskey. And Revenant on her knees beside him blood pouring out of her ears.

“Now then Mr Bluesman why don’t we discuss how you can help me, and yourself, to solve this process peacefully.â€

What choice did he have?

Then glancing down he saw Revenant look up smile at him and wink.

Everything seemed to happen at once for Bluesman. He barely had time to kick himself for letting his resolve slip before he found himself facing the woman, sitting at Bobby's desk, with the pale woman bleeding next to him. His eyes darted as he began looking for a way to finish this quickly and get her some help, before he saw her wink at him when there eyes met. The only indication that he had seen it was a bit of a twinkle in his eye, before he turned back towards the woman. He wasn't sure how he was going to quick draw on a psychic, though. Hopefully she was arrogant. She seemed the type.

His hand eased slightly as he looked around the room. "Alright, yeah, let's think of a way to solve this. Actually, I've got an idea." His hand quickly went for the throwing stars hidden in his belt, and they were in his hand and in the air towards the woman. It was more of a distraction than anything, covering Revenant to make a move. Still, he was a bit proud of his aim.