Fall-ing into Change (IC)

Breella

October 15th 2011

Noon, Claremont Campus-Greenhouse

It was a wonderful fall day. Breeze blowing around some of the leaves that had chosen to jump shift early. The colors of the trees around the greenhouse were wonderful oranges, yellows and reds. Gwen stood there with a large box of Halloween/Fall decorations looking around at the area. A large pile of haybales had been delivered and sat on a tarp. Gwen put down the box and began to move some of the bales around the entrance of the greenhouse. She planned to have this place looking spiffy and seasonal, eventually hosting the October theme party here outside the greenhouse. After a dozen bales Gwen looked around for Vicky, she was supposed to be here soon. Even after Gwen stopped the Vines continued to move bales around, making the path Gwen had shared with them. Another couple of Vines had wandered off to rummage the box. SEEDS! they emerged with a large green sack and began to move farther away pulling Gwen with them. We plant seeds, you make grow!" They were excited about the cornmaze Gwen had told them about.

Vicky teleported to the greenhouse, the five-foot tall animatronic Dracula, mummy, and Frankenstein's monster decorations. The trio weren't even close to pushing her lifting ability but managing not to drop the packages was a challenge. She'd dressed for the chill still in the air from the morning, jeans and one of her hoodies, her favorite pair of sunglasses shielding her eyes from noon-day sun when it snuck out from behind the clouds.

As she stepped out of the entrance cloud and over to the structure she called over, "Got the boxes you asked for Gwen. So, where do we want to start this project?"

One of the Vines pointed to the bales of hay. "We're working from the outside in. We can get these set up, I can get the corn maze going. Some of the plants are readying to move so we can put a dance area inside." Gwen lugged some of the pouches of seeds over to a roped off area and began laying out rows of cornseeds. "So, whats been going on?" Gwen had several vines extended, some were opening trails in the soil, others dropping seeds and still others covering the soil and adding water with cans that looked small and dainty in the Vines grip.

"Oh, the usual," Vicky said setting the boxes down and pulling a boxcutter out to slice the packaging tape open, "Trying to find time alone with Morgan, which is easier and easier these days since you and Brian started dating. Also, still working the art thing. I had an story idea based vaguely off a bad M. Night Shamylan movie that I might pitch to Mona for her magazine."

Pulling out the pieces she began assembling the monsters as she watched Gwen and her vines set up the corn-maze. "Since it's that time of year, do you have a favorite scary movie? Oh, oh! Maybe we should see about getting a projector out here for screening some horror movies after the dance?"

Gwen smiled. "I like the projector idea." Gwen got down on her knees and sunk her fingers into the ground. The Vines moved over to several watering cans and began sprinkling the ground around her. A faint green glow spreading out. "As for scary movies..." Gwen cocked her head to the side thinking over the question. "I'd have to say the 'Alien' franchise." Sprouts of corn began to pop up in the small field. Gwen in the center of the clearing. "How about you?"

Victoria closed the boxcutter and slipped it into a pocket of her jeans. "Hmm, my first thought leads me towards the various 'of the Dead' movies by George Romero. Or just the zombie sub-genre in general, the good ones are as much about tensions between the survivors as the fight against the zombies."

After moving the decorations to where they'd be set up in a series of short teleports she landed next to Gwen, "I'll check with Mr. Summers and Cole later about setting up a movie screening."