Parting is such Sweet Sorrow (IC) (Closed)

Breella

Brian watched Gwen's hair fall down her back, stroking it absently as she grabbed her laptop. He waited until she had navigated to the proper webpage, then flicked through the available movies with her. Most films that he'd choose to watch weren't exactly date-night material, so he was forced to go outside his normal viewing selections; but he also didn't want to break the mood by obsessing over which movies to choose, so he ended up mostly looking at the movie covers. One that caught his eye was a young man with swords crossed above his head. He read the synopsis through and felt himself warming to the movie. "What about this one," he asked, tilting the laptop so that Gwen could see it better. "Princess Mononoke. It sounds interesting."

Gwen pressed play and set the computer on the small stack of milk-crates she used as a table. She pulled a few more pillows up from the sides of the bed and tossed a few at Brian. Gwen put a few behind her back against the wall and snuggled herself under his left arm with her head nestled on his chest. She listened to his heartbeat as the movie began. She kicked off her sandals and interlaced the fingers of her left hand with his right as both hands rested in the space where the two teen's bodies met. She shifted her head after a while to look up at Brian's face. "I always feel so safe when I'm with you." she whispered.

Brian snuggled up next to Gwen, putting an arm around her and pulling her close. As the movie started to play, he kissed the top of her head. "I'll always be here to protect you," he said quietly. He gripped her hand, interlocking their fingers as the movie began to play. "I'm never going to leave you." He leaned in and kissed her, just about oblivious to the movie itself. He could feel the heat building in his body and became totally intoxicated with the scent and feel of Gwen, bringing his other hand around to cup the back of her head.

Gwen's heart began racing. Not scared, but she had never felt like this before. She was unsure how to progress with the situation, how far would it go? Thoughts raced with her heart. She realized then that she hadn't even noticed most of the movie. "Brian..." she gasped out between the kisses with a heated and breathy voice. She didn't pull away, instead she began kissing his chin, trailed and moved to his ear. Gwen whispered "What...where..." she cut it off by resuming her kisses. Gwen wanted to ask about 'What if the world does end?' but she didn't want to ruin the mood, or the direction things were going.

Brian's lips wandered all over Gwen, his breath coming rapidly and his heart beating faster and faster. There wasn't any question for him; he was living in the moment, and right now the moment was entirely about Gwen. Time passed unmarked, as the pair of teens explored each others' body.

Hours later, Brian drifted back to consciousness. The first thing he realized was that he was in a small bed, and he soon realized that he wasn't alone. Indeed, Gwen's little body was snuggled up next to him, resting in the crook of his arm. He leaned in and kissed her ear, running one hand down her side and resting it on her belly. "Hey there," he whispered to her. "I think it's time to wake up."

Gwen snuggled closer into Brian. "Five more minutes." she groaned as she pulled the blanket tighter around them. "The sun isn't even up yet." Gwen's only indication to that statement was that she couldn't hear the Vines and she was sure they were going to have something to say about this situation. Gwen rubbed at her eyes and then ran her hands back into her hair. She had fell asleep with it loose and it was showing in the knotts. Gwen turned her head to look at Brian "Good morning." she mumbled sleepily.

Brian chuckled, pulling Gwen closer to him. He kissed her gently, slowly, taking his time with it. He discovered that one hand was underneath Gwen's body and shifted to bring it up, running that hand through her long hair, slowly working it loose. After a minute he pulled back from the kiss, eyes locked with Gwen's. "Last night was... absolutely incredible. I've never felt anything like that," he admitted. "I really wish you didn't have to go away today."

Gwen's face went sour thinking about leaving. "It sucks. I know I'm going to do a good thing either way. I'm going to be bringing a PLANET back from practically uninhabitable... It's just the conditions under which I've been chosen to do this are--" Gwen rolled over and pulled Brian's body closer to hers. She couldn't bare the thought of what might happen to her planet, her family, friends the plants. She struggled to push down her fear. "I wish that I was going under better circumstances."

Brian shifted on the bed. It really was quite narrow for two people, and in time he ended up on his back, Gwen sprawled half-on and half-off. It was an enjoyable few minutes of bodies rubbing against each other, but eventually he was forced to consider her words. He brushed a lock of her hair back and kissed her forehead. "We'll have to go camping there," he said quietly, "once all this Gorgon business is wrapped up. You can show me all the new forests you planted." He hugged her close, feeling her warmth against him. "Besides. I just think you gave me about the best reason to fight for this planet I could ever have."

Gwen blushed a deep shade of red, it wasn't fully that she was embarrassed by what had taken place, but partially that she was being complimented on it. She bit her lip before leaning in for another kiss and resting her head on Brian's chest. "You...I..." Gwen let out a pained noise. "I can't think about you maybe getting hurt, you being here when that-- that thing comes." A tear left Gwen's eye and trailed onto Brian's chest. "I'm trying hard not to think of anyone still being here when that happens."

"Hey. Hey, stop that." Brian tiled Gwen's face up and kissed her again, kissing her hot tears and her lips, brushing her hair back from her face to kiss her ear lobes and the side of her neck. "Not everyone is going to get away before that thing gets here. And even if we could get all the civilians away, the heroes wouldn't leave. They... we have to stay here, have to fight this." He hugged her to him, kissing the crown of her head. "I don't... I don't think I want to. God knows, I'd love to go to Sanctuary with you and just forget that this whole thing is even happening, but I can't. That's not the life I've chosen to lead." He fell silent for a bit, breathing in deeply and running his hand through Gwen's hair. He really was scared of what was coming, of what might happen if they lost the fight to the Gorgon -- or even if they won it, but not before she started terraforming the planet. At the same time he was sure that he couldn't simply run away from this danger; apart from choosing to be a superhero and defend the world, his parents were here. He wasn't about to abandon them to a fate like that.

After a minute, Brian patted Gwen on the head. "So, uh. Do you think maybe we should get up? And maybe get some breakfast or something?"

As Brian said it Gwen's stomach rumbled slightly and she blushed. "It is nearly breakfast isn't it?" Gwen asked but she had her answer, she could feel the sun coming up, the plants in the room began to stir, as did the vines. "Can you pass me that robe over there?" Gwen rolled off of Brian's chest and sat up with her bare back against the wall. "I'm thinking we both could use a shower."

Brian enjoyed the sight of Gwen's back for longer than he perhaps needed to, but he passed her the robe and waited until she was wrapped up before sitting up himself and standing. He stretched in the middle of the room, grabbing his shoes and socks from where they'd been flung the night before. He backed towards the door, keeping Gwen in sight for as long as possible. "So, I'll get dressed then. And meet you downstairs." A thought occurred to him and his eyes lit up. "I know, I'll take you into the city! We'll have breakfast somewhere fancy, before you go off to Sanctuary!" He spun away and was gone before Gwen could reply.

Half an hour later Brian was loitering on the front steps of the dorm building, whistling tunelessly. He'd broken out his best clothes for the occasion; a western shirt with a white-and-black plaid design, over a wine-colored tee shirt. His blue jeans were clean and pressed, and his white sneakers were spotless. Heedless of the brisk temperature, he wore his shirt open and had rolled the sleeves up past his elbows. He could barely sit still, tapping his foot and drumming on his knees. Despite everything, last night had left him with a really good feeling.

Gwen came out of the dorms, fresh faced, clean and dressed in a long sleeve green and white sweater, blue jeans, white scarf and brown moccasin style shoes. Her hair in two trailing braids and a matching white knit hat to her Scarf. She exited the door, dropping her phone into her purse and got close to Brian, the smell of Lavender emitting from her freshly washed body. "So, where were you thinking of eating?"

Brian stood as Gwen appeared, slipping an arm around her and inhaling deeply. He savored the scent of her soap and perfume for a long moment before leading her down the steps and vaguely toward the front gate. "I am," he announced with gravity, "going to take you to the best IHOP in the whole damn city. Ready?" He swept Gwen into his arms and rose into the air, a semi-transparent red bubble forming around them. The young hero propelled himself through the air, carrying Gwen the whole way; it wasn't strictly necessary, he could've even kept her in her own little bubble, but why in the world would he choose to do that?

In any case, it was a few minutes before the pair set down before an IHOP in the North End, just a few blocks from Freedom City University. The buildings of the Hanover Institute of Technology were visible over the river, but most college students were apparently still asleep because the restaurant was all but deserted, just a few wait-staff bustling about. Brian kept Gwen close as the hostess lead them to a four-seat table near one of the windows, only separating when he went to sit down. He plucked a menu from the center of the table and unfolded it, laying it in front of him, but he kept his eyes on the woman across from him. "So. To Sanctuary today, huhn?"

Gwen's face lit up as Brian picked her up, she knew what was coming and she loved the feeling. As his arms embraced her closer she knew the feeling was coming... WOOSH! She felt it in the pit of her stomach, the same butterflies she got when Brian touched her gently to move her hair from her face or to graze her hand with his. She loved the feelings she got when Brian literally swept her off her feet. Maybe it was because it was something she could only do when with him.

Gwen had the menu unfolded when Brian asked. "Yeah, I-- uh... my bag is packed. Summers told me not to bring much more than a few changes of clothes, my hiking equipment and such. He said my hostess would provide all else that I need."

"Well that's, ah, nice of her. I guess you're going to be there for awhile, then? I hope they have some kind of modern facilities -- I like hiking as much as the next guy, but after a week or so a shower and a washing machine is a great thing to have, you know?" Service was prompt; Brian made do with an order of silver dollar pancakes and a soda. He wasn't really hungry, even if he hadn't eaten anything in... a couple of days? He blinked as he realized that it had probably been Wednesday since he'd eaten? That couldn't be right. In any case he pushed the idea to the back of his head, focusing on the time he had left with Gwen. "Do you think you might go back there? Once everything's taken care of with the Gorgon?"

Gwen cringed at Brian's comment about modern facilities and washers. She wondered if he knew that in her life she had gone months at a time without indoor plumbing, hot water and most "modern" comforts. She eyed her scrambled eggs, they were flecked with sausage, bacon, peppers, onions and giant globs of cheese. "I don't know, apparently Summers had me in mind for this project since he knew what my pow-- erm...Speciality was." Gwen put a ladylike forkfull into her mouth and didn't speak again until she chewed and swallowed. "And since my..." Gwen struggled for the word "New developments he says I'm an even greater asset to the project."

Brian glanced between his plate and Gwen's. "I think there's some sterotype we're switching up, here," he said, carefully sectioning his flapjacks before trying one. It was... well, it probably would've tasted a lot better if he was actually hungry. "You're new developments?" He glanced around and checked that they were still pretty much alone. Even still, he leaned over the table and lowered his voice. "The, ah, making plants grow thing? I guess that would be pretty handy." He relaxed in his chair, fiddling with the pancakes on his plate. "Still, it's nice that you found something you like to do with your, uh, abilities. It'd be nice if mine would suggest a job for me, besides demolition." The young man's tone was joking, but there was a bitter thread in there. He didn't resent Gwen using her powers like she was, exactly, but it would've been nice to be able to help proactively with the Gorgon, instead of waiting for something to happen and responding to it.

Gwen made a sour face, put her fork and knife down and took a napkin to dab her mouth. "You can do very important things, don't ever belittle yourself or make light of what you are." Gwen could feel herself get emotional and took a breath. "You do things I can only dream of doing!" Gwen adverted her eyes by looking down at her plate, she began cutting her sausage links up. "Everything I can do on my own-- its all passive. If it weren't for my... my friends I would be nothing but a glorified gardener. Everything you are, everything you do, that is 100% you."

"Hey, now." He reached across the table and grabbed Gwen's hand. "Don't get down on yourself. You can do great things. Even without your powers, you're so smart and adventurous. And, of course, you're drop-dead gorgeous." He raised her hand and kissed each knuckle in turn, before letting go and eating another bite of his pancakes. "Anyway. Let's not turn this into a round of 'who's got the cooler powers,'" he said. "I'm just glad we've got a few more hours to spend together."

Gwen's eyes lit up at Brian's mention of a few more hours. Her face grew mischievous, her smile reached her eyes. She bit her lip and looked up at Brian while her head was still slightly down turned. "Speaking of those hours..."

Gwen was glad that she and Brian had gotten to the greenhouse while it was still closed for break. She was glad that she got to spend more time close with him. She had decided that she really liked having this kind of closeness with someone. She had that bleak thought about it maybe never happening again but she shook her head and shook it off. Gwen stood there in front of Brian, in her hiking oufit, backpack full of essentials she was told she should bring. They stood in the foyer to the admin building and Gwen checked her watch. "It's almost time."

Brian was deciding that he liked being in a relationship with Gwen more and more. They'd spent almost the entire day together, and it was one of the best memories he'd had since transferring to Claremont. Now it was almost over, but he was determined to end it on a high note. "Okay then," he said. "Tips for living in a post-apocalyptic world. Courtesy of Hollywood." He cleared his throat before beginning. "Turn away all lone survivors, unless they're feral children, Mel Gibson, or Kevin Costner. Hoard the water. Hoard the food. Especially hoard the toilet paper. And a shotgun beats all other weapons. I, uh, think that's about it." He stood in front of Gwen, holding both her hands. "Are... are you ready?"

Gwen wrinkled her nose at the mention of letting in Mel Gibson. She took Brian's hands, propped her self up on tip toes and kissed him, letting her lips linger just above his as she answered. "No, but I've got to go anyway." She smiled tightening her grip on Brian's hands. "If the world ends--" Gwen brought a finger up to Brian's mouth to stop him from interrupting her like she thought he might. "If it does, which we both hope it won't, I've had the best sixteen hours ever."