Five Finger Discount (IC)

Aoiroo

Carrie had to get there early because she had to change in her car because she would not be caught driving as Silhouette. Luckily she had the knowledge of the city on a Sunday and a GPS and tinted windows which meant Silhouette left the car though no one really saw Silhouette leaving the car. Nor did they see her walking up to Eve, she sort of just appeared before they walked in which luckily didn't stop the heart of any of the elderly already looking there way. As they sat at the booth Sil took a moment to remove her over mask revealing, an identical mask, with the exception that it had a hold cut for the mouth before she picked up her menu,

"There's no off time for me, I'm either working, traveling to work, or prep working with all the other little nessicities squeezed inbetween. I do read a lot though, usually when I'm waiting for or am on the bus. Little bits of everything, books, magazines, news articles, usually how I keep up to date on the hero scene and I couldn't help but notice when your little showdown made the front page."

"A hero dedicated to the job twenty-four hours a day, huh," Eve pondered while looking at the extensive menu, "I've always wondered how some heroes do that." She remembered her father barely being there. And when he was it was magic lessons and teachings of code and honor. Though he wasn't a total glacier, he had his moments. And now that he was retired from the suit he was much more accessible. "Another thing I'm wondering," she said looking up from the menu, "This helmet you had on back there. Why? I mean this seems much lighter. You know, for the moving around you do so much. Although the gloves could have stayed. Lots of fingerprints without them" She stopped herself and smiled, "Forgive me, I guess I'm not the one who should be giving costume advice to someone who's probably been in the game longer than me."

"You're assuming a lot of me. Like that hero work is the only work I do, it's not, it's a gig, but not the only one. I have to pay for that tip somehow after all."

She scanned the menu, there were a lot of fancy names, but honestly, it all meant the same things. French fries were french fries, even if they called them freedom fries and they were always a perfect starter.

"Also, you're assuming that's a helmet, it's actually an over mask, which is like the undermask I'm currently wearing except I can eat with in this one with little problem and it's literately sewn into my collar since I have no plans of being unmasked with just a yank. As far as fingerprints go, that's only a concern if you're already on file in the criminal justice system, which I'm not, so any vaguely finger shaped smudges you nick off my silverware are completely useless."

Eve raised an eyebrow when Silhouette mentioned that being a hero wasn't her full time job. Also her mask wasn't a helmet. By the time she mentioned the gloves not mattering, Eve covered her own face with the menu out of embarrassment. Great, she thought, I'm a lousy people reader. Some kind of amateur detective I am. When Silhouette stopped talking she peek up from behind the menu, eyes only. "I'm just a misunderstanding machine, aren't I," she said with a small voice. She laid the menu down, trying to smile off her embarrassment. There was a second of awkward silence as she tried to think of something to change the subject. "How long have you been working?" Yes, let's learn something about her before we say anything again.

Putting down her menu she started to tap her fingers, she honestly had to think about this. When did she count when she started, there was the invasion, though she was around a little before. Where did that put her,

"A year, I think, about a year or something. I had to go through a lot of trouble starting up this gig, I mean I had thought on it for a long while, did a lot of research and lots of reading. I specialize in drug work, mostly taking down the designer drug market and I got to say there's a ton of information on this stuff. Apparently a couple of pharmacuetical companies have been trying to figure out how to manufacture a safe version of Max and Zoom, they had a lot of publized research papers which mostly detailed the risks of the drugs themselves."

Though she wasn't being honest, the research came after several weeks of her being knocked on her butt by max users and tripped up by zoomers before she realized there was actually a drug out there powering them up, and the dire cost that drug had.

"Max. Zoom," Eve said wearily, "that's some harsh stuff." She bowed her head for a short moment. She then looked back to Silhouette with a small smile, "And I thank you for your work in that." She sighed and picked up the menu again, looking at it dispassionately, "you know, maybe it's a new hero thing. But I never get over how much stuff there is out there to do. A city full of heroes and yet foul things still happens." She looked to Silhouette, he emotions seemingly held back, "I'm sorry if I seem a bit melodramatic. The whole 'you can only do so much but there will always be something' problem just infuriates me."

Sil let out a snort,

"You think that's bad, think of all the stuff that would happen if there weren't as many of us as there are."

Putting down her menu she started tap her fingers as she counted,

"Let's say I run into something nasty, say, the patron Hatian goddess of werewolves. In Freedom on any given night, I can literately count that before I even get a hit in, that at least another hero in the immediate area will lend me a hand. Another example, giant robot appears in the middle of the park, at this hour average hero response time, three seconds? Maybe less if it's a teleporter. Ohh, and what about the real big public events, like a circus trying to mind control it's audience, if there are at least ten thousand freedom citizens, from previous experience you can estimate at least three heroes attending and at least one of them can break a mental hold faster than you can say, 'your getting very very sleepy'."

She did the long drawn out voice for that before letting out a chuckle,

"Don't think too much what doesn't get done, you'll bring yourself down, become all depressed and moody and no one will want to work with you, and you never want that. If there's one thing that's important about having so many heroes in freedom, it's knowing you have some freaking backup when the shit hits the fan."

Eve's hand covered her eyes as she smiled, "I guess you're right. We had enough of that in the eighties." Uncovering her face, she chuckled. "Haitian goddess of werewolves, huh," she shook her head while flipping the fourth page of the menu, "That sounds like a story. I've ran into heroes with lots of stories." She thought back to the past month and a half-ish. She grimaced, "The only thing I can say that happened, besides the whole demasking incident, is that a giant monkey showed up in front of my house to challenge it to wrestle. Luckily, Wail showed up and screamed it somewhere into the ocean." She shook her head, "Wail's a good guy. Good teacher too." She lookedto Silhouette, "What about you? Any crazy stuff?"

Sil waited for the waiter to come around with there drinks before answering after taking a swig.

"Met Wail, in fact, I have his autograph in my book. Though I'll be honest, he's the only one I ever remembered to get it from when all the stuff was said and done. That one was a story, freaking ninjas, and I mean like appear out of the shadows in swarms, sword wielding tough little buggers. Not very bright though, I mean these are ninjas, but for some reason me bouncing off their shoulders and running up walls enough enough to get them their attention off the big thousand pound screeching alto lining up for an attack."

She let out a sigh, it was a weird night, and she tried her best to move around the mass homicide at the buddist temple and the fact that when she drove away from it she had to pull over because she could hold in that nights dinner any longer.

"An autograph book for heroes?" Eve mused aloud, "Cool." She was not foreign to the concept. She had one herself when she was younger, but it got signed very little. "It's always neat to hear stories about people's hero books." About ten pages into the menu, she found what she wanted: chicken salad. It was comically named after a figure noted for their fear. She chuckled at the Fearmaster Chicken Salad and lightly tapped her finger on it until the waiter would come back. She looked back to Silhouette, "So, you mention you work with other people most of the time. How does that work out for you? Better as a loner or more acclimated to having or giving help?"

Sil sort of skimmed the menu for a few seconds, she was thinking some nice ribeye and a baked potatoe before she looked up,

"Actually, most the time I don't need any help. I go through all the bad neighborhoods, knock out drug dealers, call the police, rinse and repeat. Sometimes I'll move out more towards the southside area to take down manufactorors, or head to the docks to intercept incoming shipments. Almost all of that I can do by myself, and have done by myself for a good long while."

There weren't really a large number of interesting stories there, really rather sad stories, and long nights which usually end with one or two bullet wounds but not anything of interest.

"Anyway, working alone isn't better per say, but I wouldn't bother any of my contacts with anything I wasn't one hundred percent certian I couldn't handle on my own."

"Hm," Eve thought aloud, "right." She reached into her pocket and pulled out a business card. It was colored jade as her heroic namesake and had her name, codename and phone number in silver writing. "Well, if you ever need some help and no one's around you can call me. Just don't let that phone number out. Very few people have it and it's a direct line. Unless I'm very very busy I'll answer right away any time of the day." She smiled and handed the card to Silhouette, hoping that the gesture would be taken kindly.

Taking the card she smiled and tucked it in her pocket before returning with her own card. Which wasn't a card as it was a folded piece of paper with a number written in pen,

"And there's my number, which isn't exactly direct, but it's my only number and it'll reach me some of the time some days, probably because I'm almost always very busy with well lots of stuff. Most of which isn't really up for discussion, and here comes our waiter."

Turning towards the staff she gave her order of steak and a baked potatoe.

Eve smiled and pulled out her phone when she took Silhouette's number. She snickered when she opened it, the sound it made was like a little robot saying it's name. Maybe she was easily amused but that never got old. She punched in Silhouette's digits and closed the device, leaving it on the table. When the waiter arrived, he was polite and dressed like Star Knight, without the helmet of course. It was very nicely put together. She ordered the Fearmaster Chicken Salad. "It's huge," she said to Silhouette with a wink. The Star Knight expy chuckled and went to place their orders. "Man, this place sure is full of history." She pointed to the wall near the roof. "Like that. A piece of the Freedom League Watchtower." She sighed contently and then perked up, "So, you got any influences? Like anything you see?"

She took a second to look around the restuarant while she thought about the question. She didn't really know the exact answer to that, but than again, she didn't exactly get into this trying to emulate someone in particular,

"Umm, I guess the Centurion, and Midnight, I was always a big fan of Midnight. Though I'm not really like him, I mean, I'm not scary or anything like that. I guess I'm just like really sneaky, and well I'm not sure there are any heroes I can attribute that as an influence. The Silencer is a good comparison, but he's not really a hero as he's like a vigilanted I would never ever want to meet in a dark alley."

Eve nodded at Silhouette's choices. The Centurion was a shoo-in for everyone. She remembered her grandfather talking about The Centurion from back in his days as Jade Dragon. It was nice."Midnight, huh," she thought back to some rumors she heard about there being a new Midnight. Though the new one was thought to be the old one. Probably just some new kid taking up the name. "Yeah, I hear that Midnight was running around again. Silencer on the other hand, I haven't heard news of in a while." She shook her head. "It's those violent heroes I don't care too much for. But I don't wish the worst on anyone. Here's hoping for the best."

Sil held up her glass to that,

"To the best than, may it at least be better than what I'm expecting."

Taking a long drink of her coke she set it down and let out a breath. She certianly hoped nothing she expected to happen did, because otherwise it'd be a grim, grim world.

"So, the bow's new."

Eve nodded with a hopeful smile as Silhouette offered up her toast. It was the violent vigilantes that brought in the Moore era. Sure, artifacts still existed, Silencer one of the known ones, but thankfully they were few and far between. But as she said before, she wouldn't wish the worst on anyone. She perked up when Silhouette asked about the bow. "Yes, the bow is new," she said happily, "other Jade Dragons used swords. While they were excellent swordsmen, I never took up the art. I prefer to keep my enemy at a distance." She chuckled, "It's much safer to not get hit at all, you see?"

"That's a good plan."

Leaning forward, she thought for a few seconds. The girl was pretty good with the bow, at the very least it had a lot of rather untraditional powers associated with such a weapon. Though she did had a question,

"I wonder, if I were a villian, and I were to sneak up from behind you and snap you're bow string? What then?"

"You'd be a very smart-assed villain," Eve smirked. "No," she smiled, "The bow is magical. Sure, it looks like a bow. It works as a bow for other people. But for me, it's more than that." She stood up and clasped her hands together, murmuring in an arcane language. After she was done, her bow appeared in her now open hands. "You see," she said lightly tapping the string. When she did, the length of the string shimmered between red, blue, black, white and green. "Now if there were no string there it wouldn't matter. The magic would still be inside of me. Unfortunately I cannot unstring this bow here." She murmured another incantation while holding the bow and it disappeared. She sat back down and took a sip of water, then smiled, "There's a lot we're learning today, huh?"

She watched the bow appear out of nowhere (which was probably a magical pocket dimension of some sort, after all if Dragonfly could do it with science, there was no reason magic couldn't replicate a result). Looking at the glows she smiled,

"Good to know it wouldn't be that easy, otherwise I might be concerned."

Letting leaned forward glancing over to see what looked like their order coming around,

"As for learning, we learn things every day with every experience and every person we meet we learn something new. We might not want to, in fact, there's a lot of things I would love not to know, but I try to pay attention, you never know what, or who may be useful to know later."

Eve nodded, "You make a lot of common sense, you know that?" She smiled and looked over to the order. Hopefully it didn't take that fast. She wanted nice fresh hot food. She took a sip of her water and drummed her finger for a second with a smile at her guest. A free floating idea seemingly hit her as she raised her eyebrow with delight. "We have a little while, why don't we go look at the rest of the stuff around here? I'm sure there's something we can find or learn with that." She chuckled, "Anymore talking about learning and we're going to start sounding like an educational kids show."