Between A Rock And A Heart Place (IC)

Sandman XI

February 14, 2011

Elizabeth had been preparing all day. All week. Hell, since Eddie had left for this one special day. Valentine's was a day for the celebration of love. For the past two days she had gathered and fixed everything right for this day. Even though it was hard to reach him, she had talked to Eddie. Though she never forwardly asked if he was coming home. He didn't. She waited all day and all night for him. But no sign of him. This was the last straw. He never called. She had to do the calling. And even when it was, he was despondent. She felt angry and heartbroken in more ways than one. Grabbing a piece of paper and a pen she began to write from her angry broken heart.

Dear Eddie,

It's been far too long. We've barely talked two times since you parted in November. A heart grows weary without nourishment. Remember when I told you i found out my true heritage? You barely even responded to that. Like it was just another thing. "Oh, the Knicks won last night, my partner is a goddess and it looks like it's going to rain today. Better get a coat!" Did you ever care about US at all? Eddie, I'm glad you've found your place in life. Your music career is beautiful. I'm glad I could be a part of your rise. I'm just disappointed that it consumed you. I've done my one good deed for this lifetime and it turned to hollowness. I'll be going to visit my family now. My real family. People who care for other things than one all consuming thing.

Sincerely,

Elizabeth.

Seattle, Washington: 2am February 14th, 2011

The door to the hotel room burst open. A young girl in her early twenties nearly fell through backwards. She stumbled, but found her feet steadying herself on the dresser. Eddie flicked the key card at the TV and it bounced to the floor with a soft 'clink'. He strutted into the room, riding the excitement from both the concert, and the alcohol. Another successful show. Another city played. Another night spent living his dream. The girl's head was bowed, and she looked up at him from the top of her eyes. She grabbed his shirt, and threw him onto the bed. The door to the hotel room closed on its own.

Freedom City, New Jersey: 8pm February 28th.

Eddie dropped his bags by the door to his apartment and shut it behind him. He'd just flown into town after the band's last show, and he was tired. He grabbed the cleanest glass he could find, flicked on the tap, and drank some water. Refreshed, he placed the glass on the counter and made his way around the apartment, just checking to make sure that everything was still where he left it. Everything seemed to be in good shape. Finally, he flicked on the lights in his bedroom. He needed a nap. "Hmm?" He mumbled when he saw the note on his bed. He brushed the key that lay on top of it to the side, lifted it, and read.

"Crap."

Eddie sighed and rubbed his face with the hand that wasn't holding the note. "Olympus? Come on! How am I supposed to even get there? Last time I checked, they usually don't take to kindly to mortals just dropping in." He read the note one more time. He quoted it aloud in his frustration, "Did you ever think about US? Consumed me? God! What was she thinking?" By this time, he'd returned to the kitchen, taken a beer from the fridge, and started drinking it. He stood at the counter in his apartment. Amidst the life he'd built for himself, drinking the beer and staring down at that note.

He felt lost.

"Where do I even start?"

Elizabeth was given a key that anytime she wanted to come to the real Olympus, she could. She had never been to the real one before. Dreaming took her there many times before. She had met and talked with some of her extended family. Aphrodite, Apollo, Ares, Artemis, Athena, Hephaestus, Demeter, Hera, Hermes, Poseidon, Zeus. Though only in dreams. This would be the first real time she'd been there. It would be life changing to say the least. And indeed it was. She grasped the key and closed her eyes. It felt like her soul was dragged through a void. It was the void between mortal and divine. When she opened her eyes she was there. For real. IT felt like the most epic happiness ever. Her father greeted her with open arms. He knew she'd be there. The next few weeks were the most awesome of her life. While in dreams all she could do was talk to people. This time however she could interact with them. And that she did. There were more than just the twelve there. And everyone of them had their own personality. Even though she felt like a small fish in a very large pond, Dionysus kept her close by. Oh, he didn't keep a leash on her or anything, but he was there for her. Something Elizabeth admired. Someone being there for her. She wanted to feel bad about the break up, but she couldn't. It was past her. Her new life was great.

March 1st

Eddie had just left a meeting with some friends. He was walking through one of the darker alleys in Freedom City, with his head down and his stride quick. It was after dark, and this wasn't the nicest section of city. But it was the shortest route to where he needed to go. Normally, he would just fly to his destination. But tonight he needed to walk. He needed to clear his head.

March 2nd

The next day, he arrived at Muse's community. The key card she'd given him let him through the gates and from there, it was easy enough to find her house. Her family recognized him from Thanksgiving, and were nice enough to let him in without asking too many questions. He found her room, and passed through the door, shutting it behind him.

He saw the key, it was on her bed. He lifted it, examined it, and tried everything to make it work. He even went as far as putting it in the keyhole in her closet, thinking that perhaps it would create portals from existing doorways. After a few minutes of floundering around with the magical object, he gave up and threw it on her bed in frustration.

Her guitar lay in the corner, and he picked it up. He sat on the bed and breathed deep breath, then began plucking away at the strings. He forgot about the key for a while. His only thoughts were of the music, and Muse.

"Promise me that you'll be okay.

Keep in touch, if miles away.

I'm hangin' in the way that I know how.

Take good care and I'll see you soon.

Ring you up this afternoon.

I'm cool with how things have to be right now.

You'll hear me on your speakers. Everywhere you go.

Wearing your worn out sneakers. Kickin' down the road.

Just take this song until I see you at the show...

Whoa, I'm sending you a message.

Whoa, You're gonna be mine.

Whoa, Don't mean to be obsessive.

Everything's fine.

Me and Mike went out last night

Party crashed, and watched the fights

In front of every open bar room door

Things just aren't the same 'round here

Not like they were at this time last year

I guess I don't feel welcome anymore

You'll hear me on your speakers. Everywhere you go.

Wearing your worn out sneakers. Kickin' down the road.

Just take this song until I see you at the show...

Whoa I'm sending you a message

Whoa You're gonna be mine

Whoa Don't mean to be obsessive

Everything's fine."

The key on the bed began to vibrate fiercely. But Eddie never even noticed. He was too lost in his own song.

"Just fine."

There was a flash of light. Both Eddie, and the guitar had vanished.

*Musical score: On Your Speakers - Damone

Elizabeth was resting in a natural spring hot tub. The past few hours, she and a few of the muses, honest to gods muses, were talking shop. She had so many ideas running through her brain right now. She needed to relax and put them all together. They mentioned something though that made her think. "You'll get used to it." Quite a profound statement. She thought she'd never get used to living like this. It was almost three weeks of non stop enjoyment. She sighed and placed a hot towel over her eyes, and contemplated how the stars could be placed in a vase as her sister recommended. Then she heard something. it sounded like 'VORP' and something... someone was in the tub with her. "Sulis, is that you? The water's fine." She lifted the towel. She gasped, "Eddie!" She quickly jumped out of the tub and wrapped herself in the towel.

Eddie felt the hot water close in around him, just as the final notes of the song he'd been playing drifted away. He was wearing a pair of jeans torn at the knees and the ankles, a studded leather belt with a steel skull and crossbones buckle, an Iron Maiden t-shirt, black Converse All-Stars, two material sweat bands on his left wrist (one green with a shamrock and Dropkick Murphys written on it, the other black with the writing, "Whiskey in the Jar").

Much more had happened in the past few seconds than he was able to begin being able to process.

Now, all of his clothing was soaked. So was Muse's guitar.

"Sulis, is that you? The water's fine." She lifted the towel. She gasped, "Eddie!" She quickly jumped out of the tub and wrapped herself in the towel.

Muse! "Ahh! Muse!" Eddie also leaped from the hot tub. He had no towel, and so he stood, holding the neck of her guitar out to the side with his left hand, and pointing at her in shock with his right hand looking very much like a scared, drowned rat.

"Where the... But... And who... But I... WHAT THE HELL?!" He managed to finally sputter.

Elizabeth looked at Eddie with a bit of remembrance mixed with confusion. Like she had seen a shade of the past. She was quiet for a few seconds, soaking in his frustration with more confusion. "Eddie, you're not supposed to be here. You're supposed to be touring. You're supposed to be living your life." She hung her head, "You know, the one you seem to love more than me."

Eddie stared in disbelief. Not because she was here. Not because of where he was (by her presence, he'd figured that out and already set it waved away that headache). But because of what she'd said. "What?" he was incredulous. He let the body of the guitar clunk ungracefully on the ground and rested his hand on top of it. "Do you even know what day it is? It's March, Liz. Tour's over." His raised eyebrows and offhanded gesture said, "You should know this."

He reached into his back pocket and pulled out a wad of wet paper. "And this? What is this?" he threw it to the ground at his feet. Elizabeth could recognize the ruins of the note she'd left him. "The Knicks? I don't even like basketball!"

He rubbed his face with the hand that wasn't holding the guitar upright. "No. You know what? I'm not going to yell. And though I never though I would use this line after my dad shoved it down my throat for years," he looked up at her, "I'm not angry. I'm just disappointed."

"Of course I love the music. I love the fans, the concerts, the life. What's not to love?" He threw his arms out to his sides, nearly forgetting he was holding the guitar, but recovering before he'd thrown it. "But do you know exactly how many different instruments I'm capable of playing? I mean, shouldn't that show you that I'm capable of doing more than one thing with my life?" He shrugged, suddenly at a loss for words.

"This tour didn't consume me, Liz. If it did, I wouldn't be here right now. I told you I was going on tour. I told you I was going to be busy, and I told you I wouldn't have time to talk. You knew this was coming. You said you'd be supportive." He was pointing fingers now, "News flash: Running away to the top of some magical mountain is NOT being supportive. Going to visit people that care for more than just one all-consuming thing? Look around you." He made a wide sweeping motion with his arms, taking in their surroundings, "Look at this place. Look at you. You're the one who's obsessed. You're the one who is consumed." his eyes were on fire with defiance. "Go ahead. Tell me I'm wrong. Tell me that I am incapable of deciding what it is that I do and do not enjoy. Hmm?" He looked at her expectantly.

Knicks? What? Elizabeth was confused, then she remembered the note she wrote. It felt like forever ago. She turned around and looked at him, speaking angrily. "The Knicks things was to show how nonchalantly you took it. I know you don't like basketball. You could put anything in it's place and it'd still be the same." And then he spoke his disappointment. He could have shot her in the chest then and there and she would have gave him the same sad look. He exacerbated the situation by continuing pointing out the holes in her logic. She was speechless for a few seconds afterwards. "Eddie, I was supportive of you. I loved your music. I loved everything you did. I loved you. Near the end, I just thought it was a one sided love. If anything I was consumed by you, not this place. And this place, well, it took me away from there. And now here I am." She sighed glumly and sat down, putting her legs back in the natural hot spring tub. She faintly smiled and looked to up to him beckoning him to sit next to her.

Eddie sighed a sigh of relief. He placed the guitar on the ground a safe distance from the pool and made his way over to Elizabeth. He smiled as he sat down next to her, crossing his legs rather than putting his feet in the pool since he was still wearing shoes. His positioning was rather awkward since his clothes were still soaked and were restricting his movement.

"I know you loved me." He smiled down at her. "And I know you supported me for months. But you knew I was away, and you knew I was coming back. I guess I'm upset that you didn't wait." He gazed down at the water, lost in though for a moment. When he started speaking again, his voice was a little shaky. "By now, you'd think I'd be used to people giving up on me. So, yea. I've made some mistakes. But you try, and you try, and it still just doesn't matter to some people." He looked back up. "When I found your note, it struck a nerve. I felt abandoned," he shrugged, indicating he couldn't help how he felt. "It was like getting expelled all over again."

"Elizabeth, I know you love me. That matters a lot. But I have to admit: I have no clue where my life is headed right now. I just went on tour with my bad. It was awesome. We're planning another album. I'm making new friends in Freedom. I'm graduating High School. There's so much I can do at this point in my life it's daunting. I won't tell you that I love you. Right now, I'm at a point in my life that I don't know if that's true. I can't say that it's false either. Because I literally have no clue what I want right now. However, one thing remains true. The amount of people I can trust and count on is still pretty small. Fewer still are the people that love and understand me. In fact, that's just you." He took her hand in his, "If nothing else, no matter what happens in the future, right now I need that. I need you."

He squeezed her hand, "Come home, Liz."

Elizabeth smiled at the acknowledgement of him knowing her feelings. She hugged him an and held on as he continued. It was reassurance for him to know she was there for him now. "Eddie, the only reason I abandoned you is because of the perceived slight of you not caring and abandoning me. It was wrong of me to do so. It had been two months and we barely talked. And then you didn't come home like you said you were on Valentine's Day. It was like a stab through the heart with the final straw on the camel's back. But that misunderstanding is over. You're here and that's all that matters." When he started talking again, she slowly and softly guided him into a comfortable resting position with his head in her lap. He could see the water and her with just the turn of his head. She stroked his hair as he talked. Then the next bullet came.

I won't tell you that I love you. Right now, I'm at a point in my life that I don't know if that's true. I can't say that it's false either.
Unrequited love. This look was less hurt and more wistful, though she tried to keep it together. For him. This was his moment.
He took her hand in his' date=' "If nothing else, no matter what happens in the future, right now I need that. I need you."

He squeezed her hand, "Come home, Liz."

She was going to use this time to ask him to stay here. Live happily ever. He could tell that she wanted a different plan of happiness, but he could also tell she just wanted to make him happy. Her voice cracked, "Eddie, I am home. Even though you don't see it now. I... I want you to stay. I know you'd get used to it." The words from her fellow muses rang in her ears again. "Though I want you to be happy on your own decisions. Not because of what I want. And for that. Yes, I will come home with you." She met his lips with a kiss. Even if he didn't love her. Even if it meant having to be 'just friends', she wanted him to be happy.

Elizabeth smiled at the acknowledgement of him knowing her feelings. She hugged him an and held on as he continued. It was reassurance for him to know she was there for him now. "Eddie, the only reason I abandoned you is because of the perceived slight of you not caring and abandoning me. It was wrong of me to do so. It had been two months and we barely talked. And then you didn't come home like you said you were on Valentine's Day. It was like a stab through the heart with the final straw on the camel's back. But that misunderstanding is over. You're here and that's all that matters."

Yea... I was... busy that night.

Eddie smiled, and returned the kiss. When their lips parted, he chuckled. "You realize what you would be asking, right? For me to stay here? Think of how ridiculous that sounds. And I don't mean that in a bad way. It's just funny. Stay here and be what? The god of rock or something? Don't you already have one of those?"

After the jest the smile faded. "Liz, I know this sucks. I know I wouldn't want to hear someone say, 'I'm not sure I love you.' But I know I wouldn't want to hear them say they did when they didn't mean it. That's why I'm telling you about this. I couldn't live with myself to lie to you about that. I just... I like what we've got, you know? I'm not sure I want that to change. I don't want to lose you, but I'm not sure I want things to be more serious. I'm 19. I'd be the first person to question whether I'm ready for that or not."

I thought I was once. Shows how much I know.

The two were interrupted by a man in a towel. Elizabeth recognized it as one of Dionysus's forms. Taking off the towel he sat in the tub.

"Dionysus," Elizabeth spoke up, "I would like you to meet Eddie. Eddie, Dionysus."

Dionysus politely nodded towards Eddie with a smirk, "Glad to meet you. Wish I could say I've heard a lot about you, but what I have heard wasn't too happy."

Elizabeth blushed apologetically to Eddie and whispered, "Sorry, it was heat of the moment statements." She looked back to Dionysus, "So, vacation time is over. We'd like to leave."

Dionysus looked confused for a moment, then chuckled, "Leave? Honey, you're stuck here. Well, not him, just you."

Elizabeth's jaw dropped, "What?"

Dionysus leaned back and closed his eyes, hunkering down in the fresh hot water, "Oh yeah, you've accepted your fate as a resident here when you used that 'key'."

Still in shock, she muttered her question again, "W-what?"

He looked up to her and sighed, "Here's the simplified version. A really long time ago, mortals got tired of gods 'interfering'. So a mortal mage of incredible power closed it off to gods."

Elizabeth finally found her voice to protest, "What about you? How did you get to the mortal realm?"

Dionysus propped his hands behind his head, "I was summoned. Mortals can ask for gods to come into the mortal realm, but it's more like a Hall Pass. You're on their turf, not your turf and you have several powerful people down there looking at you, waiting for you to slip up so they can send you home."

Elizabeth's face was mixed with sadness and disgruntlement.

"Look," Dionysus said sympathetically.

"No," she screamed as she dove in punching her father in the chest with no effect, "You tricked me! You knew I was going to be here forever!"

Dionysus sat up with a sigh, "Yes, I gave you that key for that very reason. Not to trick you. But when you wanted to come home for good. And you thought you were going to be here forever. Haven't you enjoyed everything you've done here? Is this not paradise? You are home."

Elizabeth whimpered, "Yes, I did... but this is not my real home."

The next words out of Dionysus's mouth rang in Elizabeth's mind for what seemed like forever, "You'll get used to it."

Eddie watched the exchange with a heavy heart. It was hard enough getting into this place. Now it seemed it would be even harder getting out.

When Elizabeth leaped into the tub, it nearly sent Eddie into the water as well. He managed to hold onto the side and keep his balance. Once the exchange was over, he stood next to the tub and looked down on the two. He found he was faced with a dilemma. He'd never had parents that told him what to do. Besides the occasional grounding, he'd had a great deal of freedom. What's worse, it didn't even seem like it was Dionysus' decision anymore. He may not have been responsible, but that had never stopped him from speaking his mind before. He pointed at Dionysus, "Hey. @#$% you, man." He folded his arms, feeling quite high and mighty speaking from above them at the edge of the tub. "You may be a god, but that doesn't give you any right to take someone's freedom from them. Through deception or otherwise. Far as I'm concerned, you shouldn't even have given her that key unless she asked for it. You knew she'd use it. It was just a matter of time! And let's face it. What is time to you guys anyway? Just another insignificant mortal concept that doesn't matter, right? Well, @#$% that. Saying she's trapped her, and telling me I'm free to go? I can't think of a bigger slap in the face, quite honestly. Next you're going to tell me that if I leave, I can't come back." Eddie waited, expectantly. He really hoped that he wouldn't hear what he thought he was about to.

Dionysus listened to Eddie's words with somewhat of a contempt look. When Eddie was done, Dionysus stood up and walked out of the natural spring tub. He grabbed Eddie by the collar, dragging him out effortlessly. The two stood face-to-face. Well, face-to-chest. Dionysus's Olympian stature put a good two and a half feet between him and Eddie. He put his on the smaller man's shoulder. "Eddie, we must talk." Dionysus motioned outward and they were in a green field with a large vineyard. Huge grapes of all sizes and colors grew there. However, the spring, the tub and Elizabeth were nowhere around. Dionysus picked a few of the grapes and ate one, and for a moment he seemed like he was happy. "Now, Eddie, you are of great interest to me for two reasons. One, I know what happened while you were on tour. Those were some pretty awesome ecstatic revelries. Two, you seem to think this whole relationship is only about you." He handed Eddie one of the grapes as a gesture, the grape looked normal in the god's hand, but when Eddie took it it was as big as his two fists put together! "Now," Dionysus said rolling a grape between his two fingers. "I'll tell you the truth. You can come back whenever you want. Provided you find a way back here. But you don't want to come back here, do you? I mean you got groupies, a small amount of fame, and a rockstar attitude. You could find another doormat," he crushed the grape non-chalantly for emphasis on that word, "anywhere. Can't you? Go home. Forget this place."

"Thanks, Bro." Eddie offered the grapes back to Dionysus. "I've heard the stories of what happens to people that eat food that is a part of the realm of the gods. I think I'll pass."

"Now," Dionysus said rolling a grape between his two fingers. "I'll tell you the truth. You can come back whenever you want. Provided you find a way back here. But you don't want to come back here, do you? I mean you got groupies, a small amount of fame, and a rockstar attitude. You could find another doormat," he crushed the grape non-chalantly for emphasis on that word, "anywhere. Can't you? Go home. Forget this place."

"I can't think of how to put this, other than, 'no'." Eddie paused, realizing he was arguing with a god. No help for it, he decided, "You know, one of the reasons that the mortals evicted you guys in the first place was because you were running around and telling us what to think and stuff. Not only what to think, but impressing ideas of what we DO think as well. That's a trip." He folded his arms across his chest. "But frankly, I really don't care what you do to me, so I'm just going to lay this out: You're thinking of the old Eddie. I used to be an ass. In a lot of ways, I still am. But I swear I'm trying to be a better person. One of the few people that's actually helped me is her. And I owe her that. She wants to return, and I owe her. So it's a good thing that I'll be able to come and go. I'll be looking for a way to get her back."