Tree House of Healing (IC)

Stesha watched him go, listening for any crashing noises, then stretched out on the couch herself. She was very glad that Carson was awake and doing well, both for his own sake and so she wouldn't have to worry about him so much anymore. She'd lost count of the times she'd wondered if she should take him to a hospital and see what modern medicine could do for him, instead of just using her own powers on him again and again, hoping it would work. But her strategy had paid off, and he was getting better, and now she'd have a little time to recharge, well, soon anyway... She was asleep long before he came back from the bathroom.

Carson came back to the living room, looking better. He opened his mouth to ask Stesha where might be a good place to go flying to, but stopped short when he saw her. He smiled softly, then took to floating slowly in the air. The soft *thrum* of his powers meant that he would be less likely to disturb her than by walking around. He cast his eyes about, then saw a quilt over the back of one of the chairs. He moved over, taking it in his arms and shaking it out. He then gently laid the quilt over her sleeping form.

'Rest well, and God Bless, Stesha' he thought to himself.

He then floated to the door of the room, gently opening it, moving outside, then closing it. He looked about, taking in the surrounding forest, and even some of the nearby buildings.

"Saints above...This is incredible."

He increases the power of his flight a bit, pushing himself at a gentle pace as he ascends higher and higher, trying to get a broader view.

The view just got more impressive the higher Carson got. The forest stretched out for miles, interrupted in places by other features, most notably a giant crystalline dome the size of a football field, only a little ways away from the treehouse. It gleamed in the sun like a diamond or an impossibly large ice sculpture. In the other direction, he could see distant fields with flowers that had to be the size of houses themselves, their heads bobbing ponderously in the breeze. And surely the faint buzzing was just his imagination. Off to the east, he could see the ocean, dull and gray, looking almost slimy from where he was.

The view just got more impressive the higher Carson got. The forest stretched out for miles, interrupted in places by other features, most notably a giant crystalline dome the size of a football field, only a little ways away from the treehouse. It gleamed in the sun like a diamond or an impossibly large ice sculpture. In the other direction, he could see distant fields with flowers that had to be the size of houses themselves, their heads bobbing ponderously in the breeze. And surely the faint buzzing was just his imagination. Off to the east, he could see the ocean, dull and gray, looking almost slimy from where he was.
Carson wasn't sure how long he just floated there, enjoying the view. A couple of minutes, at least.

"Where to first..."

A question answered almost as it was asked. Picking up speed, he headed for the gleaming dome first. It was the greatest mystery here, being so clearly artificial. Was it a greenhouse, or something else?

Upon closer inspection, the crystalline dome was really a roof, supported with pillars and covering a massive hedge wall that surrounded a large field of grass. It took him a minute to find a way into the structure, till he realized that he could simply climb through the hedge at any of a few thin spots in the wall .

Inside, the temperature was noticeably warmer than the cool and breezy day outside, warmed by the sun and protected by the dome and plants. His attention was caught by several signs, the first of which explained that this was Sanctuary, that his host was Fleur de Joie, and that he was safe here, but it was better to not go wandering. The sign gave instructions on where in the structure to find food, medicine, and sleeping bags if desired, and on how to do a headcount to ensure that everyone who was transported here made it safely and timely back to Prime. It didn't take long to figure out that this was the holding area Stesha had spoken of, where she could move displaced civilians.

Carson poked around for a bit, admiring the thought that went into the "holding area" and its construction.

"Just how did she get this built here? It's not plant matter, like most of her house..."

He floats up to the crystalline dome, examining it fora bit. Once his curiosity is sated as much as it can be without actually asking questions of Stesha, he exits Sanctuary, once more flying above the trees.

"Think I'll check out what's up with the ocean, then those giant flowers...."

And he does so, flying fairly quickly out towards the gray ocean, landing on its shore and examining it. Barring anything truly notable, he'll eventually take flight again and head towards the field of huge flowers.

As Carson took flight again, this time he went a little higher, heading out towards the ocean, and he noticed what he hadn't seen before. There was certainly plenty of acreage that was lush, forested and beautiful, several thousand square miles, if he had to guess. But beyond that, the terrain seemed to change abruptly, as though this beautiful area were an island in a sea of blight. The sea, too, looked troubled and unhealthy, with a rime of scum clinging to the foam on the waves, and not even a gull in sight.

Carson frowned as he surveyed the landscape.

"What happened to this planet? How did it get so bad? And just how powerful is Stesha, if she's already changed so much of this place?"

Of course, how much of the growth was hers, and how much had already been there, was hard to say. Shaking his head, he turned back inland.

Bees or no bees, a quick look at huge flowers sounded interesting...

A light, cool rain began to fall as Carson flew through the trees, a rain that smelled slightly metallic, not quite normal, but seemed clear and clean enough. It wasn't a long flight to the fields of giant flowers, which grew in abundance over many acres of land. Most of them were set close to the ground, but a few rose on stalks thick as tree trunks to wave in the breeze. Beneath them, grass and smaller flowers bloomed, for all they were losing a bit of color with the chill of fall. Further in the distance, he could see what seemed to be large mounds of earth or plant matter, big as mansions, set in a rough and asymmetrical grouping.

Carson flew around a bit, before approaching one of the largest flowers. He flew down to the base, landing and slowly walking around it. He reached out and gently ran his hand over its surface, marveling at what he was seeing. After a full circuit around the "trunk", he took to the air, more slowly this time, taking himself up the height of the flower, stopping when he encountered a leaf, or anything else that provided a break in the lines. He was engrosses, his mind almost overwhelmed at the sheer natural beauty.

"Truly a miracle. The Lord does work in mysterious ways sometimes...Perhaps Stesha was meant to bring new life to this place? It certainly needs it."

Once more, our reverberant hero was speaking aloud to himself. It helped him think and process, and it's not like there was anyone there to think he was crazy.

As Carson looked around, he noticed movement near the top of one of the large mounds. A massive shape, easily the size of a semi-truck, came through the opening, the fat black and yellow stripes clearly indicating what it was. It did, he couldn't help but notice, fly considerably faster than he might have expected from such a big body and comparatively small wings. As it approached, it called out on a booming voice "WHO GOEZZZ THERE?"

Carson turned at the movement and sound...And suddenly did his best "deer in the headlights" impression. He pressed his back against the stem of the giant flower as his face went white as a sheet. His hands started to shake, and for several moments, he lost his voice. Finally, it shakily came back.

"I...uh, that is, my name is Carson. I'm a friend of Stesha's. She's asleep at her house, so I went out for a flight, just to get a look around and get some fresh air. And....ohpleasedon'thurtmeorstingme! I'm not a bad guy! I'm a friend, and I got hurt fighting zombies and crud and oh God have mercy on my soul, you're as big as a bloody truck."

His eyes clenched shut and he tensed, seemingly preparing himself for the worst. Which, considering the size of stinger this bee likely had, could be pretty bad.

"ZZZO YOU ARE FRIEND OF ZZZTEZZZA," the bee boomed, sounding pleased. "I AM CALLED EBEE-BEEZZZER! WE ARE ALZZZO FRIENDZZZ OF ZZZTEZZA. ZZHE BROUGHT UZZ HERE, GIVEZZZ UZZZ FOOD AND ZZZHELTER!" The bee nodded, and considering it had no neck to speak of, accomplished this by bobbing up and down in place. "ZZZHE WILL BRING UZZ OUR QUEEN, BUT ZZHE IZZ QUEEN NOW HERZZZELF! IT IZZZ DIFFICULT! YOU ZZZHOULD HELP HER, CARZZZON!" The massive bee buzzed a little higher, checking out the top of the flower and scraping off a little bit of remaining pollen while he was in the area anyway.

When the bee didn't impale him on its giant stinger, Carson relaxed. Really, the fact that it talked was such a minor concern next to its size, it barely registered.

"Uh, nice to meet you, Ebee-neezer. Stesha mentioned you guys. I guess it didn't quite sink in how...unique...you are."

He blinks at the talk of queens, then frowns a bit.

"No queen? Huh. Except...what, you mean Stesha's kind of like "temporary queen" or something? As for helping...uh, sure, I guess. You...seem nice. Especially for, um, a bee. Not that there's anything wrong with, you know, being. A bee. Yeah. Nothing wrong with it. So, you're asking that I help Stesha look for your...bee-queen?"

Maybe if he acts like nothing's wrong, he can ignore the fact that there's a giant stinging insect hovering nearby.

"THAT IZZZ A GOOD IDEA," the bee told Carson, sounding pleased, as much as he could read the vocal nuances of a giant sentient insect. "YOU ZZZHOULD HELP ZZTEZZA FIND OUR QUEEN, AND OUR FRIENDZZZ. THEY ARE ZZZTUCK IN THE BAD PLAZZE, WHERE THERE IZZZ NO GOOD FOODZZ AND THE HUMANZZ BEET UZZ. HERE IZZ MUCH BEETTER. WE DO NOT NEED TO FIGHT IN THIZZ ZZAFE WORLD. YOU GO HELP ZZTEZZA." With that, the giant bee flew off, back to the warm safety of the giant mounds.

Carson gave a shaky nod as Ebee-beezer laid down his marching orders and flew off. When the bee was far enough away, Carson allowed himself to slump a bit against the flower.

"Whew. That was an experience I'd rather not repeat soon. I suppose I should go check on Stesha."

With that, he took off at high speeds for Stesha's house, where he would land and quietly go back in, trying to see if she was still sleeping, or if she was up and about yet.

He made his way back into the house to find Stesha looking just as he'd left her, snuggled up under the quilt and with her extraordinarily long green hair starting to escape from the braids and pins she'd captured it with. There was still half a bottle of Sprite on the kitchenette counter, as well as some more soup, a box of saltine crackers, a bag of ginger snaps, and some coffee, tea, and cocoa sitting next to the coffeemaker. It looked like the food situation was pretty well taken care of. Oddly enough, the only change in the house was that the plants that made up the carpet surrounding the sofa had all grown a couple inches, and looked like they could use mowed. They hadn't been that way when he'd left.

Carson raised an eyebrow at the plants around Stesha's couch. Well, she was a powerful plant controller. Made some sense at least. He walked to the counter, poured himself a bit more Sprite and grabbed a gingersnap, before downing both. He then made his way over to the bag that held the remnants of his costume.

He opened the bag, and frowned. It really was in horrible shape; mostly bloody scraps of cloth. Though...

Carson dug for a moment more, before pulling out his unique hooded duster. It was seemingly intact, and as he pulled it out of the bag and shook it out a bit, the dirt and blood on it seemed to simply fall off. Carson blinked, not quite sure what he'd seen at first. Then he smiled.

"I suppose an archangel needs to make sure his namesake is well dressed, hm?"

His eyes glanced upwards for a moment, before he left the rest of the "clothes" in the bag, setting the pristine coat down near the bed, where he himself lay down, his eyes starting to close.

"I suppose a wee bit more sleep wouldn't hurt..."

Soon, Carson found himself in that merry land called "Dreaming". These dreams had flowers and fields, and even a bit of heavenly music. Of zombies, skeletons, and evil mages, there was no sign.

Carson's bruised and battered body kept him under through the evening and into the early morning light of the next day. When he woke, Stesha was in the room checking on him. "Hey, you're looking much better today," she told him with a smile. "I think you'll do. I've got some more soup for you out in the main room, and then I think if you want, I can send you home. Not that I'm rushing you out of here," she added with a chuckle, "but there's no place like home."

She fed him again, gave him tea and more Sprite, and a bunch of flowers to take home with him. "Let me know if you start feeling poorly again," Stesha told him. "And try to take it easy for a few days. We've all earned a break." She gave him a hug and patted his back. "Take care of yourself now, Carson. Be safe."

Carson's bruised and battered body kept him under through the evening and into the early morning light of the next day. When he woke, Stesha was in the room checking on him. "Hey, you're looking much better today," she told him with a smile. "I think you'll do. I've got some more soup for you out in the main room, and then I think if you want, I can send you home. Not that I'm rushing you out of here," she added with a chuckle, "but there's no place like home."

She fed him again, gave him tea and more Sprite, and a bunch of flowers to take home with him. "Let me know if you start feeling poorly again," Stesha told him. "And try to take it easy for a few days. We've all earned a break." She gave him a hug and patted his back. "Take care of yourself now, Carson. Be safe."

Carson returned the hug with a smile, his white coat slung over his shoulder.

"Thanks so much for everything, Stesha. And yeah, I think I'll take it easy for a bit yet. I'll ring you if things get worse, but I imagine that's behind me. Maybe just some occasional aches, plus a few scars. Don't forget to take it easy yourself; you could probably use the break just as much, if not more. Take care, and God Bless."

With that, he stepped through the plant-portal that Stesha had opened, ending up not too far from his apartment building. A short, quick flight later, he was secure in his own home. It was a bit dusty in here, but not too bad.

"I'll clean up tomorrow, when I've got a bit more rest in me."

Things weren't looking too bad, when all was said and done. Maybe more people could use a bit of time in a tree house...