No Man's Land IC

Gizmo

--Oh how I envy those centimeters, Wears Flats To Events With Dancing Girl. Do you need a sidekick? I could be Wears Heels To Everything No Matter How Inappropriate Lass. The criminal element would never know what hit them.-- Eve grinned at Jill, fishing a bottle of water from her knapsack and taking a quick sip. --Healing is nice, wonderful even. So few have a non-destructive ability, which makes you rather special.--

Screwing the cap back onto the bottle, the telepath raised a snowy white eyebrow at Jill. --Sorry, how rude of me. Drink?--

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Ha!" Jill laughed sharply, returning Eve's grin. "Nice. I guess you trade reaching the top shelf for being able to pull off 'cute'. I'm good, thanks," she declined the proffered bottle with an offhanded wave. "I... don't really know if the healing's my real thing, honestly. My abilities were latent until I accidentally got one of these mystic power ups, and I sorta got the wrong one anyway." The teenage girl closed one eye in a slight wince and rubbed the back of her neck. "The last guy who had it was super lucky, but with the boost he could sorta curse people, too. Dunno if I was a healer and now I can make people sick too, or the other way around."

Eve waved her hand dismissively, --Oh please, cute? Nobody would ever make that mistake. Best I get is odd, even those precious few that I would consider friends keep me at arm's length, most of the time people just think I'm creepy and avoid me almost as much as I avoid them. It sucks.--

The petite French girl smiled faintly at Jill, --Sorry, I get a little melancholy when I start to think about that stuff. If you don't mind, I'd prefer to think of you as a healer first. You strike me as having a delightfully wicked bedside manner.--

"Dios," Jill drawled, drawing out the syllables. Resting her chin in the space between an extended thumb and forefinger, she gave the diminutive acrobat a wry look. "I've still got some black makeup left over from my goth phase if you want it." The taller girl shrugged with her free hand. "Cheer up, Stretch, and learn to take a compliment. See? My bedside is totally mannered."

Chuckling, Eve shook her head, --No thanks; I have some of that makeup back in my room. Thanks though, for the compliment. I'm sorry for my melancholy attitude there a moment ago, it's just a couple of days unto the 2010 World Championships, and I'm once again reminded that I can't compete.-- Shrugging, the telepath added, --It is what it is though, right? No sense fighting who you are, or what your genetics made you to be.--

Lifting her chin from her hand, Jill tilted her head slightly to one side and gave Eve a quizzical look, one eyebrow retreating into her unruly bangs. "World Championships? For what?" There was a note of genuine interest in the question, but to the young telepath's perceptions the other girl's surface thoughts attained a notable focus, a surprising change from her earlier uncertainty and airy nonchalance. Having established that Eve's poor spirits were due to something specific rather than a general malaise, strong streaks of protectiveness and stubborn determination were reflexively coming to the fore.

--Gymnastics.-- Eve brushed a hand through her short, snow white hair. --I am, or rather was, Junior International Elite gymnast. Multiple wins in national and international venues, and already being prepared for the 2012 Games. It was my life.-- The younger girl made a sour face. --I trained so hard and now I'm banned from competition, all because I can hear everyone's stupid little thoughts. It's been two years but it still bothers me, especially around the time of competitions.--

"Oh wow," Jill blurted, surprised to hear just how accomplished Eve was. The taller girl considered herself fairly acrobatic on the whole, certainly capable of maneuvers well beyond the average person, but the petite French teen was clearly on a whole different level. Jill couldn't imagine what it would be like if she was suddenly prevented from using the medical skills she'd worked so hard to develop; it had to be absolutely crushing. "That's pretty... wow. Well, hey, chin up, Snowpea, let's take your mind off it, right? What do you feel like doing?"

--Oh,-- Eve started, offering Jill a weak smile. --I'm quite happy just talking but if you have a suggestion, I have nothing planned this afternoon.-- She shrugged. --If it gets me off campus for a few hours, that'd be fine. Well, that is if you'll have me along.--
  • 4 weeks later...

"Right, 'cause I totally offered just so I could take it back like thirty seconds later," Jill scoffed, waving off Eve's concern. "Just gotta actually think of something," the coltish girl pondered, unconsciously twisting a lock of hair around one index finger as she frowned slightly. "Dios, I really do need to get out more. Hum. Ah, well... how do you feel about hockey?" she asked finally.

Eve smiled, projecting an aura of amusement as she reflected on Jill's comment. She found herself agreeing, thinking it would be good for the older teen to get out a bit more. And, she thought to herself, it wouldn't be so bad and idea for me to do the same.

The petite telepath rolled a shoulder in a slight shrug, --Euh, I don't really have an opinion one way or another on the game itself but I can admire the athleticism.--

"Yeah, I like the fights too," Jill agreed, perhaps misunderstanding Eve's meaning as she briefly mimed a loose right hook. "Anyway, I'm pretty sure the Minutemen are playing somebody tonight. That's the FCU hockey team," she clarified, immediately realizing how little the name would mean to the relatively new arrival. "It's just the regular season and all, so it shouldn't be hard to get in. If you felt like it."

--Of course I feel like it!-- A curious expression passed over the younger teen's face. She thought for a moment about contacting her brother, chances were that the family had a private VIP box (such things are almost required in the high end corporate culture), but promptly squashed the notion. As much as she liked Jill (and she was rather cute!), she only just met the girl, and Eve figured it'd be safer to play a few things close to the chest. Not that I couldn't just poke around in her hea --No! Ethical reasons aside that's just plain rude, not to mention she'd also probably hate me.

--How much time do we have? I'll need to shower and change before we go out an--oh, damn. That's right you don't live on campus..-- Eve trailed off, thoughts and focus turned inward as she pondered the logistics of what needed to be done.

"Pfft, it's a hockey game, not the opera, your worshipfulness," Jill drawled wryly with a snort that was a little to loud to be dainty. "Just grab a coat and a fresh shirt or whatever and we can head out. It's not like you're-- uh, I ah..." The coltish teen seemed suddenly stuck by a moment of self-consciousness as she caught up with her own words. "I mean, if you want to grab a shower, I can just chill here, that's fine." A touch of colour spread over her tanned complexion for a brief moment as she glumly brushed her bangs aside and looked away.

--Euh, it's a sort of after school ritual,-- Eve said as she rose from her chair collecting her things. --Granted that started when "school" was spent in the gym most of the day.-- She offered Jill a smile as she slung her satchel over her shoulder. --It's just going to be a quick refresher and change and you're more than welcome to wait my room. I don't have a roommate so it's not like you'd be bothering anyone.--

"Yeah, go for it, 'course," Jill agreed quickly, still a little embarrassed that she'd been so familial without thinking. Because clearly the best way to cheer up someone you just met it to tell them their personal hygiene routines are dumb. Stupid. Shaking it off she rose to her feet, bangles clattering at her wrists as she decided that she'd feel more awkward sitting by herself in the dormitory common room than waiting in Eve's domicile. "Lead on, then." It wasn't until she gestured vaguely toward the hallway that the taller girl got over her initial discomfort enough to start worrying about any potential double meanings in her new friends suggestion.

• 2 weeks later...

Eve wandered to her dorm in silence. It is a spacious two bedroom dorm with a shared bathroom. One room was clearly Eve's; it actually had stuff in it. Not as much as someone who lived full time on campus might have, but there were a few personal touches. Her desk was bare but for her unpowered laptop, a desk lamp, and a framed photo depicting Eve and two other individuals; a blond haired man and a dark haired woman, both with green eyes and more than a passing resemblance to the teen telepath.

Tossing her satchel onto her bed picking through her closest for a sensible change in clothing and ducked into the bathroom. --I'll only be a few minutes.--

"No rush," Jill assured Eve as she looked around the room once the diminutive gymnast had exited. Stepping over to the desk, she picked up the photo frame to take a closer look. "So this is your family, huh?" she called over her shoulder before pausing. --Wait, is having a conversation while you're getting cleaned up weird? ...is a telepathic conversation even weirder?-- Tapping the side of her head she frowned. --Is this thing even on?--

The sound of laughter on the other side of the door, muffled though it was by the physical barrier and the competing noise of the shower was joined by a sense of amusement filtering through the mental connection. --Oh, I can hear you just fine, Jill. I assume you're talking about the photo on my desk? That's Nicholas and Isabel, my older brother and sister. Nicholas lives here in the city, and it was he who got me enrolled here at Claremont. Apparently he knows Mr. Summers quite well.--

--Hard to miss the resemblance,-- Jill noted, realizing with a sardonic snort that she was unconsciously tilting her head to one side every time she sent a thought Eve's way. --Nice your brother's nearby, you guys look close. You get to see your sister much?-- Having older siblings certainly gave the new acquaintances some added common ground, and the medic was curious to hear more about the Martel clan in general.

--No, not much, lately it's been just vacations and family reunions Which is a lot less than I would like to. She's off…-- Eve trailed off for a moment. --She's in Jakarta at the moment. Odd, I wonder what.. never mind.-- There was a sound of water turning off as Eve paused again. --It is nice having Nicholas nearby, even though I usually just see him on the weekends I decide I've had enough of Claremont. Which is just as well; between work and… well he's rather busy and rarely at our house in North Bay.--

--Well, that kinda stinks, then,-- Jill commiserated upon hearing how little Eve got to see of her siblings. --At least you don't have to worry about getting sick of them,-- she noted with a mental drawl, considering her own sibling. --Heh, telepathy is cool. So, do you dye your hair then, or what?-- Looking over the photo again, it seemed to the senior student that the psychic nature of their conversation lent itself to abrupt changes in topic.

--Hmm? Oh, the white hair. Nope, it's just one more genetic fluke in my cornucopia of genetic flukes. Do you think I should dye my hair?-- Eve thought for a second. She did dye her hair at one time, but the only color that actually took well was black, everything else just looked slightly off due to her base hair color. --Euh, I can get pretty sick of my brother and sister regardless of how little time I spend with them. We are siblings after all. That sort of thing just comes with the territory.-- The door to the bathroom opened a crack and Eve poked her head out, her hair slightly mussed from a vigorous toweling, and grinned at Jill. --Given a period to adjust most people find telepathy to be cool. Almost finished here.-- She ducked her head back into the bathroom and closed the door.

--Rapid, private, communication that allows you to project thoughts, images and feelings? What's not to like? My range isn't all that impressive, though. I mean I can feel everyone's mind on the planet to a faint degree but I can only firmly touch the ones within twenty miles or so.--

--Nah, the white suits you, I think. I dye mine, but don't tell anyone,-- the older teen admitted, absently tucking her unruly bangs away from her eyes. She glanced over as the bathroom door opened, setting down the picture frame and giving the grinning telepath a bemused look. "Better reception than my first cellphone," she noted ruefully. "Whole planet, though... that's pretty intense."

--Your secret is safe with me,-- Eve responded affably. --Mm, besides, your hair is pretty. The color and length are a perfect complement to your features.-- The door to the bathroom opened and Eve stepped out, dressed casually in a comfortable pair of jeans and a black turtleneck. Nimbly brushing past Jill she poked through her jewelry case on her dresser, selecting a pair of diamond studs. --Well, there is more to it. If I concentrate just a little I can pinpoint someone's location; basically I home in on an individual's residual psychic impression. And if I get really close to someone, like touch them?-- Eve turned to face Jill and wiggled her fingers at the taller teen, --I do more than just read surface thoughts.--

Eve's expression slipped slightly, the white haired telepath looking a bit uncomfortable. --That… well it has some side effects on a person.--