Dragonid

ca_lazerdwarf

Active Threads:

2000 years ago:

Tales of the Praetorians: We are Legion OOC(Who are these Praetorians?)

Revenge is a Dish Best Served Hot  OOC  (Kharag and Dragonid survive an assassination attempt among Kharag's people)

Incursion:

Praetorians: Awakening OOC (The Praetorians awaken on the Curator ship after thousands of year only to learn of a Communion invasion)

Incursion: Meaning in Destruction   OOC (Dragonid, Traveller and Moon Moth seek to find help or information on a planet in the Communion's Path)

Incursion: Blockade Runners OOC (To get vital intelligence regarding the location of the Communion mothership back to the Coalition our heroes(Bliss, Dragonid, Ghost Girl, Kharag and Wraith)  will have to fight their way off world and through an enemy blockade!)

20Q

Dragonid describes his origins

Edited by ca_lazerdwarf
  • 2 weeks later...

<Can you hear me? Dragonid I believe they call you.>

Dragonid struggled to focus. He did not know where he was. The last thing he remembered was the Curator. The CURATOR! 

<Yes, that's right. I am preserving you for posterity, but I need to know a bit more about you. You are a peculiar specimen. You are in a state of suspended animation, but I am injecting myself in to your dream for the moment to converse. If you would be so kind as to cooperate.>

Dragonid seethed with rage, tried to break out of his bonds but found there were none. Found no body to support his rage. He felt compelled to follow directions.

<Much better, OK. We'll start with the basics. Number 1. Who are you and where are you from?>>

As much as he tried to resist out of spite, he had to answer. "I was born Silvar Drash. I am from the planet Dragos 3, as designated by the Delaztri Empire. The Delaztri called my people Dragonids and so I have taken that as my name. I am a Praetorian of Delaztri, a warrior though my people never recognized me as one."

<Very good. Number 2. Are you a typical specimen of your species? I have not encountered them before>

"In some ways. My strength, my scales, my build, all are typical. My fires burn hotter than average, but are not extreme. In other ways I differ greatly. I never had the majestic wings that let Dragonid's soar among the sky. This flaw caused my family to disown me," Dragonid hesitated to admit the vanity that sometimes drove him "it is why when I found the technology in the stars I had my jetpack designed to resemble wings. But I overcame that flaw, with the help of a gift the Fathers must have granted in return. The ability to control fire, not just my breath but all fire, is uniquely my gift."

<Fascinating. I may have to aquire an average specimen as well. Number 3. You say you are a Praetorian of the Delaztri Empire. Why? What made you want to join them?>

Why all these questions? Why could he not feel his body or see anything but strange shapes and colors?

<Because you're not really awake. This is all in your head. Now answer the question.>

"Of course I always knew I was born to be a warrior", Dragonid said with pride, "Warriors are prized as the most worthy in our culture. When I was free of my planet, I saw I could rise to that title. But I realized a warrior needed a purpose. The Praetorians" even in his head, that word gave Dragonid trouble. "give me something to protect. By protecting the week, I truly show my strength."

<Number 4. You seem to have trouble pronouncing that word, do you have other troubles with speech>

"Do not mock my speech!" growled Dragonid "My jaws were not made for some of the Delaztri words. I speak far better than you would speak my tongue."

<True enough. Number 5. What strengths do you have that place you above other creatures? What weaknesses inhibit you?>

"My fire breath is my greatest weapon, as it is for all my people. Coupled with my ability to shape fire, it is most powerful. I have weaknesses in social situations, I am a warrior, not a speaker and more often inspire fear, anger and hostility than trust and cooperation." Dragon struggled, this being in his head was an enemy, why was he sharing his secrets?

<Because you have no choice, your mind is almost entirely shut down as is your body. Number 6. What do you love? What do you hate? I still struggle with this concept, explain as best you can.>

"I love the thrill of the fight, of conquest. I love the feel of the wind as I soar through the sky or the silence of space. I hate... I hate to see those punished unjustly. I hate to see the weak suffer because they have no protector. I hate... I hate you, Curator, confining my will."

<But your will is so easy to confine! You should have listed that among your weaknesses. Number 7. I sense much anger. Is this a normal condition for you?>

"Wouldn't you be angry if you had been confined against your will and forced to answer questions?"

<I mean you no harm, you will be safely preserved in my collection.>

"I do not want to be preserved" he raged, "I would say I am prone to anger, but not at all times. Other times I am drawn with wonder to new experiences."

<This would be easier if you saw it that way, a new experience. Number 8. One more question about emotions. Do you feel fear? What do you fear most?>

"I have felt the grip of fear, but try to fight it. Fear can drive my rage. Fear of confinement, fear of failure."

<A surprisingly common answer. Number 9. What do you strive for? What do you want out of your finite life?>

"I want others to respect me, to treat me with the honor I deserve. I want those I protect to watch me with awe. I want my name, and those of my allies to be written across the stars."

<Well, see? I give you that. You will always be remembered in my memory banks. Number 10. Do your people have a concept of religion, or spirituality? Do you hold those beliefs yourself?>

"Much respect is held for The Fathers, our ancient ancestors. We ask them for help, for protection, and damn our opponents to their Fires. They have much in common with what other races call Gods. I hold them in great respect as well. I have not directly seen them provide aid, but some events are hard to explain as mere luck. May the Fires of the Fathers consume you and your blasted collection."

<Number 11. You said your family disowned you. Is that typical for flawed children? What do you think of your family now?>

"It is not common, but not unknown. My sire was of high rank, he saw a wingless son as a burden. Better for him and for the rest of my family that I was not one of them. I now feel the same about them. I have no concern for my family, for my whole race and planet for that matter. Fires consume them all."

<Number 12. What of the rest of your race? Why the anger toward them?>

"I tried to reclaim my rightful place as a warrior be leading a revolt among the workers. The revolt failed and I was sentenced to death. Should I not be angry?"

<I do not know. I seek to understand the concept. Number 13. The drive to breed is a strong force among most intelligent races. If you have abandoned your home and your people that would seem to be impossible. Does that bother you?>

"Breeding perhaps not. If sires treat their children as mine did, would I be doing that child a favor by having it? But I admit I feel lonely without a female companion. That may drive me to return home some day."

<Number 14. What do you think of your teammates, the Praetorians?>

"They are a varied group. Once much more varied, but now so few are left. Some have proven themselves as great warriors always welcome at my side in a fight. Others cover my weaknesses with speech and can talk their way out the fight. Some know science and technology. All play their part, I value them highly. Without them, I am less effective"

<Number 15. How do you think your teammates view you? >

"I am a warrior and protector first. I think my teammates respect that. They know if they are in need, I will assist them. They have learned, that despite my bestial appearance, I will not hurt those who do not deserve it. I think they think I am more stupid than I am."

<Number 16. How do you think the rest of the galaxy views you and your teammates? >

"We are an arm of the Delaztri Empire. I know the Empire is not loved in all parts of the galaxy. I have strived to uphold the Praetorian ideals to protect, not to attack or repress. But I know our appearance often was met with fear. It was always my goal to correct that, but we have made mistakes."

<Indeed, my records show the Praetorians are feared in many systems. Number 17. Did you see yourself teaching others to follow your path? What would you have like to have taught them?>

"I hoped to teach the next wave of Praetorian. Teach them that a single warrior is a weak warrior and you must rely on your allies. More practically, I would love to teach others the joy of the sky." 

<Number 18. You've mentioned that before, you love flight, but were born without wings. Does it hurt that you require a technological device to fly like your Fathers?>

"Yes, of course it hurts. Of course that is why my jetpack looks like wings. I should have had the sky my whole life! But now i have better. I am faster than my people, my jetpack takes me free from the planet, unlike my people." Dragonid paused for a moment. "But yes, I would rather have natural flight. Sometimes I curse the Fathers for that."

<I am glad you are feeling you can be honest with me now. Number 19. What did you most want to improve about yourself, if you had been given the chance?>

"My flames," Dragonid said without hesitation, "I feel there is so much more I could do with my flames with practice. And not just in battle. I seek to explore this tool, this art, to its full extent."

<Ok, last question. I have other specimens to examine. Number 20. What do you feel of the current state of the galaxy, as you are leaving it?>

"Because of your, our work is unfinished. At the loss of many, we defended the empire against the Communion. I fear the empire and the galaxy will suffer without us as protectors...." Dragonid felt himself feeling extreme fatigue. He just needed to sleep. "Hope others will step in our place... before too late..."

<That completes this interview then, Dragonid. I am returning you to the safety of stasis indefinitely.>

Dragonid drifted off... Did that really happen?... Was the Curator real?... Did he just imagine it all?..

Edited by ca_lazerdwarf