Weaver

Airon

THE INTERVIEW

“Are you sure this is a good idea?†Saeid lowered the scarf that covered his mouth to talk to his wife.

“I’m positive.†She replied “This kids need role models!â€

“I’m hardly the Centurion. I’m hardly even Geckoman, to tell the truth.†Saeid scratched his head “I act at night, I’m more of a vigilante than… and anyway, I should be doing this in the West End, I…â€

“The West End has the Interceptors. I’m sure they get enough heroes in their schools. But here, where they’re most needed? Your parents live in Greenbank, you’re almost as active here as you are in our neighborhood. Half this kids saw you help and fight during the Gorgon Invasion; you probably saved at least one of them. Then again at the Fair, it was in full daylight and you did splendidly. You can do this!†she kissed him on the cheek. “I love you.â€

He kissed her back, on the cheek, then on the lips “I love you too.†The scarf raised itself above his nose.

Weaver jumped on Arug and the magical carpet carried him near the stage entrance. The principal, a short hispanic woman, was introducing him.

“We have another speaker today. Most of you already know him as he’s been very active lately here in Greenbank, as well as in the West End. Please welcome the super-hero Weaver!â€

Weaver entered on the stage hovering a couple of feet above ground. He swirled around the principal and landed in front of the microphone. “Thank you, principal Delgado, and thank you, Greenbank High!†the four hundred students applauded, although not too enthusiastically.

After a few moments of greetings, the principal spoke again “Ok, what do you say if we ask you some questions? I’m sure you have many interesting things to tell us!†Weaver nodded, though he was not very convinced.

1. “Ok, first of all, where are you from? Were you born here?â€

“Well, yes – I was born in the West End actually, but my parents lived, and still live, here. I can’t say too much without compromising my identity, but they were immigrants who found the perfect place right in this neighborhood.â€

“You here that kids? There a lot of good here, no matter what the Red Capes say!†this was met with some clapping “The Red Capes are Wading Way High – we have a bit of a rivalry, baseball and non.†Whispered the principal.

2. “What motivates you to be a hero, then? Was it your dream, as a kid?â€

“No, not really. I never thought about it, even after I discovered my powers. I…†he paused, lowered his gaze and pinched the root of his nose “I was present when a terrible incident occurred. People were hurt – people died, actually, and I realized that if I had used my powers I could have prevented that. It would be egoistical to keep them for myself.â€

3. “And now that you are a hero, what are your greatest ambitions? Do you aim at becoming the new Centurion?â€

“Ah! No, not really. I don’t see it as a priority. I feel like the best work can be done here, in the small neighborhoods. If I could free Greenbank and West End from major crimes, injustice, and intolerance, I’d be more happy than if I stopped three alien invasions in a row!†the major started an applause and this time most students tagged along.

4. “Very well said. I gather you have low tolerance for intolerance? Is that what you dislike the most?"

“Yes, I feel like the biggest enemy is bigotry, hatred and intolerance. You… we live in a tough district. Lots of different cultures clashing. If we don’t help each other, we give the supervillains and criminals an edge.†He was adding something, but bit his tongue. Oh Lord, I sound so preachy…

5. “So, what are the things that you defend more sternly? Where do your loyalties lie?â€

“My first loyalty is to my family – as a man as well as a hero. This is very important: no matter what you do for yourselves or for the other, always keep a place in your heart for your family. After that, I’d say that the respect of human rights in my community is my top priority; and of course I highly value the law.†this caused a bit of a mixed reaction in the students, and even some booing, quickly reprimanded by principal and teachers.

“Ok, what do you say if we give the microphone to the students? I’m sure they have a lot to ask you about!†Weaver nodded, wishing that this moment had come before he rambled about the law to a bunch of teenagers.

6. “What can you tell us about your powers?“ asked a girl in the first row.

“Well, I can manipulate fabric and cloth.†Some chuckles rose from the audience, as he expected “if you think that’s lame, well…†he waved a hand, and the curtains of the stage detached themselves, large and imposing, flying above the students’ heads. Weaver moved a hand and the curtain enveloped a very large cabinet on the room’s corner. The curtain lifted the cabinet, threw it in the air and caught it. Weaver gesticulated and the curtain engulfed the principal, lifting her up to the ceiling, and re-deposited her on the stage; then it re-clipped itself on the ceiling rail. After a moment of silence, a strong applause greeted the exhibition and that earned me more points than all the inspiring speeches in the world…

7. “That’s awesome! But what is it like to have powers? Can you make fabric alive?â€

“… not really. I almost did it once†Arug flew around the room “but I haven’t tried since. It’s hard. At first you feel like you don’t deserve this gift, but then it’s just a matter of how you use it. I’m trying to earn the right of using them.â€

8. “Who are your idols in the superhero world?â€

“I appreciate all heroes, especially the ones who act in the community. The recently returned Wail is an excellent role model in my line of business. I also have enormous respect for Adrian Eldritch – he has probably the toughest job in the universe, and yet he finds time to help younger heroes.â€

9. “Do you have a girlfriend? Does she knows about your double life?â€

“I’m married, actually. Yes, my wife is very supportive of my – well – extracurricular crime-fighting.â€

10. “So, your family? If it’s so important to you, aren’t you afraid to hurt them?â€

“I’d hurt them more by wasting my gift. My family, more or less, knows. It’s important to share your secrets with the people you love – they can become a terrible burden.â€

11. â€What do you think of the City in general? Is it going to hell?†the boy got a stern scolding by a teacher for using that word.

“Freedom City is a good place. It embraces diversity and progress. It may seem tough here in Greenbank, but really, you have it better than most in the world. We are among the leading communities in personal freedom.â€

“And dimensional invasions too!†screamed a girl. Everybody laughed.

12. “Do you have an archnemesis? A real one, intolerance doesn’t count!â€

“Well, no, not that I can think of. I put in prison the Vargas Brothers and their band, they surely don’t like me. And there this guy, the Black Smith, I ran in a couple of times, who gave me a real fight and both times got away. I guess those are the closest things I have to an archenemy.â€

13. “Are you trying out for the League? Or the Interceptors?â€

“Well, I’d love to be in a big team, but right now it’s not happening. Both teams are fully operational. Maybe things will shake up in the future, but so far… I mostly work alone.â€

14. â€Did you ever meet an alien? How do you feel about them?â€

“No, I never had the occasion. I met an Atlantean once. I think that as long as you don’t use your abilities for evil purposes, you are always welcome in Freedom City, no matter where you come from and what you look like.â€

15. â€What is your best quality, and your worst one?â€

“Well, I figure myself as quite creative with my powers… if you aren’t as powerful as a locomotive, you have to get creative. And maybe you didn’t notice here, but I’m quite good at tricking opponents. My worst one… are you sure you’re not a supervillain?†he got a couple of laughs out of that “I’m guessing I lack experience in the really big stuff. The Gorgon was my first big crisis, and I managed to get by mostly by luck. I’m getting better, though.â€

“Can I ride with you on your carpet?†asked a girl.

“well, that’s more of a request than a question, isn’t it?†from that point on, he joked with the students and showed off once more.

16. “Ok, ok. I guess that’s enough†the principal took the microphone once again “Closing questions: do you feels like a role model yet?â€

“I’m trying to be one, that’s why I’m here. This city doesn’t lack sources of inspiration, but I guess if I can be another one it won’t hurt.â€

17. â€What are the attitudes you are trying to change? Is there something you can’t stand?â€

“Apart from the aforementioned bigotry and intolerance? I guess I’m not very fond of people who waste their lives. If you have an ambition and some means – use them. Don’t stand by!â€

"Did you hear, guys? And now, the last one, mr Weaver..."

“That was great, honey!†said Jamina after he got out the school.

“I was afraid I was giving away too much…â€

18. “Nah, there are a tons of immigrants here, we’ll be safe… you didn’t tell them about your little trick, did you?â€

“<What, are you talking about this?>†his accent suddenly became thicker “<No I didn’t said them that I pretend to talk like my father when I’m out of costume, even if I learned English before Farsi …>â€

19. “You didn’t talk about your fears…â€

“What, like the kids would like to see me scared to lose you, or the baby?†he put a hand on his wife’s belly “They expect to hear stuff like ‘The Terminus’, it would have been a disappointment.â€

Saeid donned his civilian clothes and relaxed on the passenger seat of his car, while Jamina drove home. He thought about the last question.

20. “Can you give a piece of advice to our girls and boys here, heroes or not?â€

“My advice is to look at no task as impossible. The Gorgon seemed impossible, and we pulled through. You all have means to help and succeed, and this school is doing its best to give you the brains to use those means. Don’t get discouraged, you have it in you!â€

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The HellQ!

Introduction

Who are you? Sum yourself up in one sentence.

I am a well-meaning citizen who learned how to use an unusual power.

Do you have any nicknames, street names, titles, or nom de plume?

Weaver is my name as a super-hero.

What is your full birth name?

Saeid Ashoubi.

Where do you live?

West End, Freedom City.

How old are you? What year were you born (if applicable)?

I’m 33 – I was born in 1979.

Physical Traits

What is your gender? If not applicable, please explain.

Male.

How would you describe your heritage?

Both my parents are from Western Iran, and it shows.

How tall are you?

5’10’’

What is your body type?

Lean and straight, a marathon runner’s body.

Do you have any particular weaknesses, such as allergies or physical disabilities?

No.

How do you carry yourself? Are you graceful, or heavy on your feet? Can you be stealthy, do you walk with confidence?

I have a very confident bearing, as it is expected from a successful businessman. Since I’ve been doing the super-hero thing, I learned how to be more imposing or more stealthy.

Describe your skin, eye, and hair color.

I’m Persian, and it shows: very tanned skin, black eyes, black curly hair and beard.

How do you wear your hair, if applicable? Do you have facial hair?

My hair is an inch long, and receding from my forehead. I have a full short-trimmed beard and moustache.

Do you consider yourself attractive? Do others?

I don’t think much about it, but if some looks from the female clients are to be believed, the exotic thing works in my favor.

Do you have any scars, tattoos, piercings, or birthmarks?

No.

Do you resemble anyone famous?

Not that I know of.

Do you have a dominant hand?

The right one.

What kind of clothing do you wear?

Slim-fit suits (grey or earth-tone), band-collar shirts with no tie.

Do you wear makeup?

No.

What is your vocal range? Is your voice distinctive in some way?

No, pretty standard. I have a good hear for accents though.

Do you have any distinctive habits, nervous tics, or mannerisms? Where did they come from, and what causes them? Do other people notice and remark on these habits? Do they annoy you or other people?

Not that I know of. I am fond of fiddling with my beard.

History

Where do you come from?

I was born here in Freedom. My parents are from Iran.

Have you made any major moves, or do you live in your hometown?

I live a few blocks away from where I was born.

Do you feel loyal to your country of citizenship? Do you consider yourself patriotic? How do you feel about the government of your country?

My parents tell me stories about the old country, and I am very happy to be here. There’s still a lot to be done, but it’s ok.

How do you feel about the place you come from?

It is a difficult land, with rich history and interests in conflict.

Where is your home town? What was/is it like?

I like the West End, it’s full of different cultures and very open-minded. And there’s the Interceptors’ Brownstone, so, you know, I have some role models right here.

Growing up, were most of the people you knew similar to you, or were you somehow a minority? How did that affect you?

I was a minority, but we all were. We learned to work out our differences and enjoy the things in common.

Is there something you've always been really good at or really bad at? How has that affected your life?

Well, of course I was always very, very good at the family business, weaving carpets. It lead me to consider myself somewhat of an artist, which is something I enjoy maybe a bit too much.

Were there any traumatic experiences in your early years (death of a family member, abandonment, orphaned at an early age)?

No, my childhood was pretty solid.

Briefly describe a defining moment in your childhood and how it influenced your life.

What stupid things did you do when you were younger?

Nothing terrible. Some cruel jokes and pranks, but that’s par for the course.

Where did you go to school? How much school did you have, and did you enjoy it?

I went to Greenbank High School – it was pretty boring, compared to the West End where my folks lived. I had good grades, but never went to College – my parents gave me the choice, but I entered the family business right away.

Do you have any mementos of your childhood? What are they, and why did you keep them? If you have none, why not?

My parents still live in the house I was born in, and they’re just a few blocks away. Most of my childhood is in that apartment.

When did you decide to become a hero? Why? Did anyone influence you one way or another in the decision?

I’ve always wanted to help my community, but after seeing firsthand how this city pullulates with super-powered beings, I decided that if I have a supernatural gift, it must be used for the good of the people, no matter how uncomfortable I am with it.

Is the reason you give people for becoming a hero different than your real reason? If so, why?

Well, the disaster at my sister’s wedding was the catalyst of my decision, but of course only those who know my secret identity know that.

Do you have any deep, dark secrets in the past that may come back to haunt you?

I hope not… in a City full of metahumans, you never know if somebody hypnotized you to forget something…

Do you represent yourself as being different from who you really are? Why?

I’m a salesman: I can fake interest, I can hide sadness and anger, I can be captivating and subtle. I usually put up a veil of irony and calm when I’m super-heroing around, no matter how I’m feeling.

If you do have these secrets, what do you fear would happen if the truth became known? How far would you go to protect those secrets?

I would be truly frightened only if those secrets could in some way harm my family.

Do you have any sort of criminal record? If so, is it public knowledge?

No, I’m very clean in that regard.

Family

What are your biological parents' names?

Karim Ashoubi, father; Hediyeh Ashoubi, mother.

Were you raised by them? If not, please explain and describe who raised you.

Yes I was.

What was their standing in the community? What did/do they do for a living?

They did what I do now, only on a smaller scale. Producing artisanal Iranian carpets and selling them… occasionally a bit of import-export from the old country. As small business-owner, they were well integrated in the community.

Where are your parents now?

In their old apartment, in that area of Greenbank where the characteristic ethnic shops of the West End start appearing.

Did your family stay in one area or move around a lot?

We always stayed here.

How did you get along with their parents? How do you get along with them now (if applicable).

My childhood was good. Nowadays I find some of their behaviors a bit old fashioned and close-minded, but nothing terrible, we get along decently.

How do your parents view you now, or how would they?

They like what I’ve done with the business (of course!), but they are still puzzled that their son is a super-hero.

Do you have any siblings? If so how many and what are their names? Describe your relationship with them.

I have a little sister, Masoumeh, who is one of my best friends and confidants.

What was your birth order in the family?

I am the firstborn.

Where are your siblings now (if applicable)? Do they have families of their own? What do they do?

My sister lives with his husband in the North End.

Do you stay in touch with them or have you become estranged?

We try to see each other at least a couple of times a month.

Do you love or hate one member of the family in particular?

Not really, my mother is becoming more paranoid with age, but I still love her!

Is any member of the family special to you in any way (perhaps, as a confidant, mentor, or arch-rival)?

My sister and my brother in law are very close to me and my wife.

Are there any black (or white) sheep in the family (including you)? If so, please explain.

No, although my father tells terrible tales of some of his uncles in the old country. I never met them, nor I know if the tales are true.

Do you have a notorious or celebrated ancestor? If so, please explain, including how it has affected your life.

It seems that my magic derives from an ancestral bloodline, but almost everything is lost in legend. I’m trying to recover it, though.

Do you have a partner and children currently? If so, please describe them.

My wife Jamila is pregnant right at this moment.

What type of person would be your ideal mate?

I have her! She’s supportive but also rational, and that helps since I tend to fly a bit too random for my own good.

Relationships

Do you have any close friends? If so, please describe them, and how you came to be close to them.

My sister and my brother in law are the couple we frequent the most. I have some friends in the City from High School and from the childhood in the West End, like Miriam, who went to college with Masoumeh and introduced me to my wife. And I’m also meeting a lot of interesting people in the masked hero business.

Do you have a best friend? If so, how did they become your best friend? How close are you to your best friend?

Probably my sister.

If you were to go missing, who would worry about you?

My family for sure, and a number of people in my neighbor – I am good at public relations with those who live near me. Maybe it’s too soon for other heroes to worry.

Have you lost any loves? If so, how did it happen, and what did you do?

No.

Do you have any bitter enemies? If so, please describe them and their history with you.

The crooks and small mobsters of the zone where I live know me all too well, and rightfully hate me. I have clashed a couple of times with this guy, the Black Smith, but I don’t know if I can call him my nemesis.

If you have enemies, how do you think they might attempt to work against you in the future?

Well, that’s what secret identities are for, right? They can’t move against me if they don’t know who I am.

What is the worst thing someone has done to you?

Shaving my head in the sleep at baseball camp? Ordering a 3000 $ rug from Iran and disappearing before the sale? Nah, nothing awful, the worst hits were from the villain I stopped.

Where do your loyalties lie? In what order?

My first loyalty is to my family – as a man as well as a hero. This is very important: no matter what you do for yourselves or for the other, always keep a place in your heart for your family. After that, I’d say that the respect of human rights in my community is my top priority.

Who or what do you trust the most? Why?

I trust my wife and my sister. I worship, more than trust, inspirational figures in Freedom City like the hero Wail, or Fleur de Joie.

Who or what do you despise? Why?

Bigotry, hatred and ignorance. Wow, do I sound preachy.

What qualities do you admire most in other people? Are these qualities you possess?

Moral integrity and a quick wit, these I value and think I possess. I admire being able to make a difference, and I’m still trying in that regard.

What qualities do you hate most in other people? Do you have any of those qualities?

As I said before, I hate ignorance and bigotry. I luckily grew up in a place with different cultures and learned how to accept most differences.

Do you have a secret identity? If so, who knows it? Do you hide it from people who are close to you? Why?

Only my close family and Adrian Eldritch know my secret.

Do you work well on teams and in groups? Are you a leader or a follower?

I love working in groups, and I’d love to do it more in the hero business. I’m more of a team player and a follower than a leader, mostly because I have little experience and I still don’t dare take charge.

Are you on a super team? If so, how do you get along with your comrades? Do you trust them, or do you have secrets from them?

I’m not, but I would like to.

Are you a member of any church, fraternal organization, club, committee, political party, or other group? How much time do you spend on that?

I am a Sunni Muslim. I observe praying times and such most of the time, but my faith is getting thinner by the day… I just don’t care much anymore, I guess.

Personality & Beliefs

Who are your heroes?

I admire those figures who can make a change in society, like Mandela, or Gandhi. In Freedom City, some of my models are the hero Wail and Adrian Eldritch.

Did you ever become disillusioned with former heroes or idols? If so, why and what were the circumstances?

I supported political and social figures that turned out less honest than I thought.

Do you like being a hero? If so, what is the most rewarding part? If not, what makes you keep doing it?

I felt uncomfortable at first, but it grew on me. The best part is definitely seeing people feel more safe.

Is there anything that would make you give up hero work, or even switch sides?

I would give it up if it became a threat to my family.

What are your short term goals (what would you like to be doing within a year)?

Start raising my child the best that I can, and earn the respect of my fellow heroes by doing something important.

What are your long term goals (what would you like to be doing twenty years from now)?

I would like to be in a position of power, where I could make a change in the society, to improve it.

What is your greatest fear? Why? What do you do when something triggers this fear?

My greatest fear is that my second life would endanger my family.

Is there anything you would give you life for?

Up until yesterday, I would have sacrificed myself for the life of other human beings. Now that I have a child, I can say that my family is the only thing I’d die for.

How do you feel about money and material wealth? Do you desire it or disdain it? Are you miserly with what you have, or do you like to share? Is it a mark of success, or a means to an end?

I think I’m lucky enough to have more than most, and I think it is a useful tool to several ends. Of course, like any tool , it can be used poorly.

How do you generally treat others?

I try to be as respectful as possible – everything else in on a case by case basis.

Are you a trusting person? Has your trust ever been abused?

I used to be pretty naïve during my childhood. Now, after more than ten years in sales, I grew a lot of hair on my stomach. I’m not a complete cynic, though, I try to stay positive and give anybody the benefit of the doubt.

Are you introverted (shy and withdrawn) or extroverted (outgoing)? Do you have a lot of self-confidence?

My self-confidence has greatly improved after I met my wife. I usually hide any shyness with a veil of irony.

How do you act around attractive, available members of your preferred sex?

I am very much in love with my wife… but window-shopping is not a crime. I do not curl up in a ball of shyness, for sure – I usually don’t discriminate.

What are your most annoying habits?

I can sound a bit detached, due to my trying to hide my emotions. And sometimes the salesman takes over when I’m debating, and try to oversell my point.

Do you feel contempt for any general category of people? Who are they, and why?

I don’t sit well with slackers and people who waste their lives.

What is your favorite food? Do you prefer any particular type of food? Do you take the time to enjoy your food, or do you eat as fast as you can?

I love food and I love cooking. I greatly enjoy my wife’s cuisine (more than my mother’s, but don’t tell her) and I’m learning pretty well from her. My favorite food is probably shellfish soup with cous cous.

What is your favorite drink (alcoholic or otherwise)?

I drink very little alcohol, as my faith prohibits it, susally just a glass of wine on special occasions. I love mint-flavored tea.

What is your favorite treat (dessert)?

Apple pie. Very American, isn’t it?

Are there any specific foodstuffs that you find disgusting or refuse to eat?

I never tried anything considered “gross†like insects or such, but I don’t think I would have too much trouble tasting it.

What is your favorite color? Are there any colors you dislike?

I don’t have a favorite color, I usually consider how well a group of colors mashes together. However I am becoming particularly fond of the dark blue of my costume.

What sort of music do you like? Is there any that you hate?

I sort of hate the music that my parents listen to, old tunes from the old country. I listen to whatever is on the radio.

If you have a favorite scent, what is it?

The scent of my workshop is familiar and comfortable. The scent of cumin triggers memories of the first time I met my wife.

Do you have a favorite animal?

I love dogs, and if I ever move into a house with a large yard, I’ll probably buy one.

What is your most treasured possession? Why?

Right now, Arug, the carpet I permanently enchanted. I still think of as a “itâ€.

Do you enjoy "roughing it", or do you prefer your creature comforts?

I think I am still comfortable without comforts, but I am growing accustomed to those I have.

Is there a job or a task you would absolutely refuse to do?

Uh, I don’t know… the hitman?

Do you consider yourself a spiritual person? If so, how do your beliefs affect your life? How important is it to you?

I do believe in something greater than us. I am a somewhat practicing Muslim, but faith is losing importance in my life by the day.

Was your faith influenced or molded by anyone special?

I took my religion from my parents, never stopping much to think about it.

If you belong to a religious organization, how often do you attend? Do you have a specific place of worship, or friends within the organization? How much do you agree with the beliefs of your organization?

My attendance is growing thinner, mostly I go to the Mosque only to meet with Sallah. I share the general principles of my organization, but a lot of the minutia and rituals has lost any appeal.

Could you kill? Have you killed?

I never killed. I never found a cause worthy of killing for, but I can’t in all honesty say that I will never kill.

What circumstances led to you forming that conviction, or taking that action?

The more I become involved in the fight against crime and evil in this city, the more I come into contact with despicable persons. I can’t honestly say that if the trend keeps getting worse, I won’t get to extreme measures to insure the safety of the innocents.

Are there circumstances under which you believe it is permissible to kill? What are they?

I still didn’t find one. I hope I never will.

How would you react to watching someone kill another person? Would your reaction be different if the killer was a friend or an enemy of yours? I would be shaken and horrified, how much depending on how much the victim deserved it. If the killer was a friend of mine I would try to talk to him to understand his act.

How would you react if something important was stolen from you?

I can’t think of anything material worth my rage. I’d act like anybody else: call the police, curse the thief, try to recover it.

How would you react to public humiliation?

It would affect me greatly, since I have hopes of becoming a social figure, to promote innovation and integration. I would try to regain my dignity in a meaningful way.

How would you react if a good friend or relative were purposely or accidentally killed? Has it happened to you?

I would probably curse myself for not having been able to prevent it, then I’ll seek justice.

What do you consider to be the worst crime someone could commit and why?

Abusing the power you were given – especially power given to you by democratic decision. It is the worst because it affects the lives of a lot of people – it’s the worst because it doesn’t even take the courage of being close to your victim.

If your life were to end in 24 hours, what five things would you do in those remaining hours?

I would spend them with my wife and child, cooking a tabulè like the first time. And possibly travel to the old country.

Career & Training

Do you have any special training in your hero skills? If so, where and how did you get it?

I definitely didn’t. I am taking “classes†in arcane lore with Adrian Eldritch and Sallah. They’re very useful in understanding my abilities. I see him with the same deference a kid would have for his favorite teacher and athlete rolled up into one.

Who taught you the most about your heroing abilities? What was your relationship with that person?

Nobody – at first I was completely self-taught.

Do you have any particularly unusual skills? How did you acquire them?

My control over fabric has been honed by my job as a carpet manufacturer, and my social skills and ability in deception, trash talk and reading people are equal part natural talent and sales experience.

Do you do something besides hero work for a living? Have you ever done anything else, or do you plan to?

I produce high-end carpets – in way less time than most people. I also sell them.

What is your preferred combat style?

Unbalance the opponents with feints, tricks and taunts, then quickly subdue him in the less lethal way possible. And stay away from big guys – I don’t exactly shine in close combat.

Have you ever received any awards or honours?

Nothing to display over the fireplace.

What skill areas would you like most to improve in? Is there anything you can't do that you wish desperately you could?

I really should learn how to fight hand to hand. If my powers failed me, I would be very vulnerable.

How do you act around people who are more skilled than you in areas you'd like to improve? Are you jealous, or do you try and learn?

I am always around them… I think most heroes handle themselves better than me. I try to learn as much as possible.

Lifestyle & Hobbies

What is a normal day for you? How do you feel when something interrupts this routine?

Wake up, a bit of exercise, then work until mid-afternoon. A small nap. Evening with my wife. Patrolling the neighbor, usually from 10 PM to 2 AM.

Do you have any hobbies, or interests outside hero work? What are they, and where did you pick them up?

I like my job, and I like cooking with my wife. I would like to travel, but I never seem to find the time. I am a pretty fervent follower of social and political issues, and I enjoy debate and campaign.

What do you do for fun?

I read, cook, have sex, play baseball and soccer, and rage about social issues with friends.

Do you have a costume? What does it look like?

I have a carefully crafted costume, one of my main tools of crime-fighting. It is composed by several layers of clothing, with many capes and scarves that deflect incoming and small metal blades sewn in to use the scarves as whips. It is mainly dark blue with golden and burgundy details.

How do you normally dress when not in costume?

Casual suits and band-collar shirts, or sweatpants and t-shirt for physical activities.

What do you wear to bed most nights?

Underwear and an old t-shirt.

Do you wear any special jewelry? What is it, and what does it look like?

I have an old, plain silver bracelet given to me by my mom, but I wear it only in special occasions.

Do you have a special place where you keep your valuables?

No.

What's your preferred means of local travel? How about long distance?

I travel by flying carpet! When in my civilian persona, I use public transportation for local and planes for long distance.

Miscellaneous

Have you ever made a will, or tried to make arrangements for your death? What provisions did you make?

If I die, everything will go to Jamila.

If your features were to be destroyed beyond recognition, is there any other way of identifying your body?

I have a large round birthmark on my chest – it almost looks like a third nipple.

What would you like to be remembered for after your death?

For improving the life of those who gave me their trust.

Do you believe you pose a threat to the public? Why or why not?

I don’t! I am very careful with collateral damage, and my power level is hardly so high to make me a weapon in the hands of a mind-controller.

What do you perceive as your greatest strength?

I know people, I know how to talk to them, how to rile them up and how to read their reactions.

What do you perceive as your greatest weakness?

My over-reliance on my powers. I really should invest in some martial arts class.

As a player, if you could, what advice would you give your character? Speak as if he/she were sitting right here in front of you. Use proper tone so they might heed your advice...

Loosen up! Yu are doing a good job, don’t overthink everything. You have both the skills and the brains – now put your courage into it.

• 1 month later...

February 1st , 2012

Registered by FC phone company

22:56

RING

RING

RING

“Honey, no! What the…â€

END CALL

23:08

RING

RING

“Jami, are you crazy? I was following that band of warehouse robbers! You know you can’t call me!â€

“You do bring the phone for emergencies! And this is an emergency!â€

“I’m in the middle of a pursuit! This is absurd!â€

“What?â€

“I’m flying over Greenbank! These guys… they are into parkour or something like that, it’s a nightmare, they’re like monkeys, I can’t…UARGH!â€

“Saeid? Saeid, Honey, what’s going on?â€

“…â€

“Honey? Honey please…â€

“…â€

“SAEID!â€

“… I’m fine. One of the robbers jumped me. He leaped down a warehouse. I dropped the phone.â€

“Oh sweetie… are you alright?â€

“Yes, I tied him up, I’m fine… damn, I didn’t see that left hook coming… I think I’ll need to go to the dentist for this one… anyway, what is this emergency?â€

“I think it can wait. I didn’t realize…â€

“Honey, we talked about calling while I’m out patrolling. I know you understand very well the danger I may be in, so I know you have an emergency on your hands to call me. What is it?â€

“Please come home.â€

“I will as soon as those three… wait… be right back.â€

END CALL

23:14

RING

RING

“Heare I ahm.â€

“Saeid! Please don’t do that again!â€

“Sorry, I waf getting clof to them, the' could have heard uf.â€

“Now you’re done?â€

“I ahm, yef. Thied ‘em up… fscared them too, no more fieving for a while.â€

“You sound weird.â€

“I definitely loft a tooth… and the liph’f fwelling pretthy faft. What… what did you need?â€

“I'm having pains... the baby... I think it's best if I go to the hospital...â€

“Oh Merfiful… but it’f only been feven monfs!â€

“Yes, but… remember, I fell down in the park this morning, and now I’m having these pains, and…â€

“O-ok, I’ll be right there, fweetie. I…â€

“It’s… look, it’s probably nothing, I think it’s just a…â€

“No, no you were rigf, thif if important. I’ll fly there af faft af poffible.â€

“How faft, fweetie?â€

“Hilariouf.â€

“I know, I’m sorry. I love you.â€

“Love you too.â€

END CALL