Leviathan

Eviscerus

The waterfront is always an active area of Freedom City. At all hours of the day and night you can find reticent dock workers unloading freight from a newly arrived ship, Captains and crews of vessels large and small preparing to get underway or make port, and even, in the evening time, young lovers sitting with legs hanging off the pier, holding hands and dreaming of the day they can set off on their own adventure over the dark mysterious waters. Tonight was one of those nights for the latter.

“Where will we go, Steve,†asked the petite blonde, sitting hand entwined with a tallish youth of dark hair and easy good looks. She would stare at his face and into his eyes even when he weren’t looking, infatuated with the subtle nuances of his countenance.

“First we’ll go to Holland, then work our way to England, so as to retrace the steps of our ancestors who first came to this continent. Our forefathers came for religious freedom; we’ll leave for the freedom to love each other in spite of the difference in our parent’s station. It’s gonna be great Felicity,†Steve never took his eyes off the water as he spoke, his mind’s eye cast out over the horizon to cities where his love of history and Felicity wouldn’t be frowned upon simply because his parents were wealthy and wanted him to be a lawyer like his father, and marry someone more his station instead of a wisp of a girl from the Fens.

As the lovers sat and contemplated the future, a deep rumbling groan emanated from the waters, which started to churn and froth as if boiling. Steve stood and slowly backed away from the water, causing Felicity to lose her balance and tip into the broiling sea. Steve called out for her, his hand reaching over the side of pier, unable to overcome the fear of what lay beneath the waves to go in after her. Within seconds the disturbance grew to a crescendo, the groaning seemed to reverberate through the air, the roiling sea seemed read to burst forth as if some underwater volcano had erupted, and out from the broiling water raised a figure clad in black robes, tattered and lined with seaweed. In his arms was the unconscious Felicity, her breath coming out in fits after regurgitating water.

Steve backed away hurriedly, unsure of this strange figure’s intentions, and also unsure of what he thought he might even be able to do to one who could command the sea as this stranger did. The figure stepped from the foaming water to the pier and set the woman down, laying her head to the side in case she needed to vomit up any more fluids. The figure then rose slowly; pulling back his hood to show a gaunt face covered in green-black scales with red eyes and near ivory pointed fangs protruding from his mouth.

“The girl will be fine, have no fear. The sea has chosen to spare this one tonight,†The figure spoke in a low, almost raspy voice. As an afterthought, the figure attempted a disarming smile that seemed more a hideous display of hunger.

“Get away from her! I saw you on the news! I- I’m calling the cops,†Steve yelled, his voice breaking after every few syllables. Steve bolted when the figure started to approach him, hands raised in what was meant to be a gesture of capitulation.

“I meant no ha-,†the figure stammered, but the words fell on deaf ears as Steve ran into the darkness of the warehouses. Alone with the girl, the figure looked down at her and frowned to himself. “Well what am I to do with this one? Undoubtedly I’d scare her too in my current state.â€

Muttering a few words of magic under his breath he passed a hand over his face and took a more human countenance, much like his normal face in shape and features, but covered in skin instead of scales, and sprouting long sea green hair and pointed ears. Within seconds he had the girl roused.

“What happened,†Felicity asked, her body shaking and her voice harsh from inhaling so much sea water.

“You fell into the waters from whence I came. Have no fear you are alright, the sea has spared you.†This time his smile seemed more genuine.

“Th-thanks for saving me,†She looked into his eyes and offered a shaky hand and equally shaky smile “My name’s Felicity, what’s yours?â€

“I am Veijlial Anathka’Un, but you may call me Leviathan,†the figure took the girls hand and used it to hoist her to her feet. He continued to hold on, until she could steady herself on her own.

Suddenly Felicity seemed to remember and panic came over her face. “What happened to Steve? Did he fall in too? Oh god, tell me he’s okay!â€

Leviathan held up an assuaging hand, “Have no fear my lady, your friend is safe. He… went to call you an ambulance.†As he finished the sentence the distant sound of sirens could be heard drawing nearer. “I must go.â€

With that Leviathan stepped into the shadows of a nearby pier, pulled his cloak above his head and started to chant.

“Wait! How can I-“Felicity broke off her inquiry as he saw his form melt into the shadows and disappear. Soon Steve was at her side, asking question after question, but she did not hear him, she simply stared into the spot where Leviathan had disappeared until finally the paramedics wrapped her in a blanket and shuffled her into the ambulance.