Papercut

Introduction

Who are you? Sum yourself up in one sentence.

I'm a kid from Detroit with a really weird superpower, trying to get by, get trained, and get back home where I belong.

Do you have any nicknames, street names, titles, or nom de plume?

My "hero name," whatever you want to call it, is Papercut. People mostly call me K.G. if I like them. My mom calls me Koko, but anyone else who does that is asking for a beatdown.

What is your full birth name?

Koshiro George McMillan

Where do you live?

For now I'm doing time at Claremont, but my home is in Detroit.

How old are you? What year were you born (if applicable)?

I'm seventeen, I was born June 15, 1994.

Physical Traits

What is your gender? If not applicable, please explain.

Male. Dude, can't you just tell?

How would you describe your heritage?

I'm fifth generation Japanese-American. That makes me Gosei if you're keeping track of that sort of thing. My great-grandfather was an immigrant and married the daughter of immigrants. And I have one Scottish grandpa, which is where the name comes from. I had my dad's last name for awhile, but screw him.

How tall are you?

5'11, pretty tall for my heritage.

What is your body type?

Lanky, but strong enough, I guess. More built for speed and agility. I can climb and tunnel-crawl real well.

Do you have any particular weaknesses, such as allergies or physical disabilities?

Nah, allergies are for rich kids.

How do you carry yourself? Are you graceful, or heavy on your feet? Can you be stealthy, do you walk with confidence?

You gotta keep your head up when you walk, or guys will put on you. Doesn't mean you have to look for a fight, but keep your eyes off your shoes.

Describe your skin, eye, and hair color.

My skin color's pretty typical Japanese, which is pretty good cause I didn't get many pimples. Black hair, but I got Granddad's lighter brown eyes.

How do you wear your hair, if applicable? Do you have facial hair?

I keep it short and usually spike it if I have time. Otherwise the bangs flop into my face. Can't grow facial hair worth a damn.

Do you consider yourself attractive? Do others?

Put it this way, I haven't had a hard time finding a girlfriend when I want one, even though there aren't a lot of Japanese kids in Detroit. Keeping one happy's a different story, but yeah.

Do you have any scars, tattoos, piercings, or birthmarks?

Yeah, I got a scar on my left leg from a few years back when I gashed myself on the edge of a pipe on a mission. I probably should've got it stitched, but I convinced Takeshi not to tell Mom and it healed up on its own.

Do you resemble anyone famous?

Not really. Maybe some famous person resembles me.

Do you have a dominant hand?

... Heh. Yeah, nevermind. Right-handed.

What kind of clothing do you wear?

Mostly old cheap goodwill garbage. There's not much of a clothes budget, and Suzu and Michelle care so much more. I don't give a damn, and these days looking ratty is in anyhow.

Do you wear makeup?

Oh yeah, a little foundation, bit of mascara to bring out my eyes... Yeah, no. No makeup.

What is your vocal range? Is your voice distinctive in some way?

Tenor, and not a bad range. I was in choir one year, but it took a lot of time and I didn't need another reason to get picked on.

Do you have any distinctive habits, nervous tics, or mannerisms? Where did they come from, and what causes them? Do other people notice and remark on these habits? Do they annoy you or other people?

I mess with paper when I'm bored or nervous or pretty much any time. That's sort of how I got into all this in the first place. The more nervous I am, the more I try to hide it with aggressiveness or stubbornness.

History

Where do you come from?

I come from Detroit. My family comes from Japan, by way of California and the resettlement camps in Wyoming.

Have you made any major moves, or do you live in your hometown?

I still live in the house my mom grew up in. We don't wander far these days.

Do you feel loyal to your country of citizenship? Do you consider yourself patriotic? How do you feel about the government of your country?

Man, screw America. That probably just got me put on a watch list or something, but seriously. My great-grandpa lived here his whole life and never got to be a citizen. America said he couldn't bring a wife from home or marry a white woman, then when he got around that, they stole his land he worked for all his life and sent him to a concentration camp. America looted and gutted Detroit and left it to die with us still in it. They made the stupid laws that got me tossed in juvie. When America does something good for me, somebody leave me a note or something.

How do you feel about the place you come from?

My grandpa tells me stories of how Detroit used to be. I wish I could've seen it like that. Right now it's like a big tempting treasurebox full of abandoned buildings to explore.

Where is your home town? What was/is it like?

How the hell many times are you gonna ask this question? It's a craphole. Well, not entirely. I mean, there are good parts, and some cool people, and lots of people who work hard. But it's really messed up.

Growing up, were most of the people you knew similar to you, or were you somehow a minority? How did that affect you?

There are not a lot of Japanese people in Detroit these days, or ever. Every time another plant closed, I got bullied by someone whose dad lost their job. What the hell do I look like, Koshiro-Runs-the-Freaking-Honda-Corporation?

Is there something you've always been really good at or really bad at? How has that affected your life?

I'm a good explorer, climber, crawler, whatever needs done. And I'm pretty good at art. Not just the origami, but drawing, too. It was really good when we were exploring, but not so useful where I've been.

Were there any traumatic experiences in your early years (death of a family member, abandonment, orphaned at an early age)?

My dad left us when I was like four years old. He was a f---stick though, so who cares, right? The child support would've come in handy, but like I said. The girls don't even remember him.

Briefly describe a defining moment in your childhood and how it influenced your life.

I was like barely twelve years old when Takeshi took me on my first mission. We went through this old abandoned school out on the west side, closed probably twenty years. It was weird as hell, some rooms empty, some rooms looking as though they'd been thinking they were gonna come back in the fall. The library was seriously messed up, like all the books were still there, but the shelves were falling down and books covered with moss were all over the floor. I had to see more.

What stupid things did you do when you were younger?

I've been doing stupid things all my life. It lets you know you're alive. I never should've let Takeshi go out to a site alone, not even to take pictures. Maybe if I had been there, I could've helped.

Where did you go to school? How much school did you have, and did you enjoy it?

I was in the Detroit public school system, which is sort of like a holding pen where they count it a win if you come out of it able to read and with no more than three babies. I hated it, cut when I could, but I will say that it beats the hell out of juvie.

Do you have any mementos of your childhood? What are they, and why did you keep them? If you have none, why not?

Yeah, I've got some junk, presents from my family, old posters and books and stuff. Why not keep them? They're still good.

When did you decide to become a hero? Why? Did anyone influence you one way or another in the decision?

It beats the hell out of juvie, right? I figure if I can get some training in, I can come back to Detroit and maybe do something to make things better. Not much, cause these powers aren't exactly Centurion stuff, but something.

Is the reason you give people for becoming a hero different than your real reason? If so, why?

I don't really want people to know about the going back to Detroit thing. If it doesn't work out and I stay a screwup, might as well not have people throwing it back in my face.

Do you have any deep, dark secrets in the past that may come back to haunt you?

Not really, it's all right there in my record.

Do you represent yourself as being different from who you really are? Why?

Never let them see you sweat, or you're dead meat. You gotta act confident and like you don't give a damn. Even if I'm scared as hell about this Claremont thing, I don't want the to know it.

If you do have these secrets, what do you fear would happen if the truth became known? How far would you go to protect those secrets?

It's not really a secret, more a persona. And I won't let them find out.

Do you have any sort of criminal record? If so, is it public knowledge?

Uh, yes, and yes.

Family

What are your biological parents' names?

Kameyo McMillan and George Hamada

Were you raised by them? If not, please explain and describe who raised you.

My mom and my grandparents raised me, because my dad is a worthless asshole who wanted to screw but couldn't handle being a father. He took the family checking account and the family car, bailed out one day without saying goodbye. I don't know where he is now, but I hope it's hell.

What was their standing in the community? What did/do they do for a living?

My dad was a professional f---stick and my mom was a stay at home till he left. She works retail jobs now, because she quit college to marry him. We all keep to ourselves, friendly sort-of with the neighbors but not sticking our heads out.

Where are your parents now?

Mom's in Detroit still, with the girls. I gotta get back there so I can help out.

Did your family stay in one area or move around a lot?

We always stayed in one place. Takes money to move.

How did you get along with their parents? How do you get along with them now (if applicable).

I love my mom, even if she treats me like an especially stupid baby. She works so hard. I wish I could be there to help out. Getting in trouble was stupid of me for a lot of reasons, but mostly for that. I think I've said enough about Dear Old Dad.

How do your parents view you now, or how would they?

My mom is disappointed in me, and worried about me. My dad couldn't care less if you paid him to. But he'd take the money anyway.

Do you have any siblings? If so how many and what are their names? Describe your relationship with them. I have an older brother, Takeshi, who is almost 22 now. Is, because he's still alive somewhere, I know it. Then the twins, Suzu and Michelle, are almost 15. I miss Takeshi so much. He was my hero and sort of my mentor. The girls are kind of annoying and silly and loud, but I do love them.

What was your birth order in the family?

Second of four.

Where are your siblings now (if applicable)? Do they have families of their own? What do they do?

I wish to God I knew. The girls are in Detroit with Mom and Grandma still.

Do you stay in touch with them or have you become estranged?

I try to keep in touch, but not too often. I get distracted, you know?

Do you love or hate one member of the family in particular?

Ha, if you have to ask that, you haven't been paying attention.

Is any member of the family special to you in any way (perhaps, as a confidant, mentor, or arch-rival)?

Takeshi. He was more of a dad than my dad ever was. I wish I were more like him.

Are there any black (or white) sheep in the family (including you)? If so, please explain.

I guess I am, right now. I made them all ashamed of me.

Do you have a notorious or celebrated ancestor? If so, please explain, including how it has affected your life.

I celebrate my ancestors and everything they endured. It doesn't matter if nobody else does.

Do you have a partner and children currently? If so, please describe them.

Hell no. I know how to use a condom.

If you do not have a partner or children, do you want them someday? How firm are you in your opinion on this, and what might change your mind?

Maybe, I haven't really decided yet. Maybe in a long time, when I'm done screwing around. There'd have to be somebody really special, and I'd have to make sure I do a better job than my own dad.

What type of person would be your ideal mate?

Let's see... she's going to be smoking hot, like, supermodel hot. And tall and stacked but not with boobs so big that she can't get through an access hatch if we're out exploring. She'd need to be adventurous, and she'd have to not put up with my crap. My mom put up with so much crap, and it made me crazy. I never want to make some poor woman do that with me. It would also be a plus if she has superpowers and wears one of those skintight costumes.

Relationships

Do you have any close friends? If so, please describe them, and how you came to be close to them.

Nah, there were guys at school I hung around with, and girls too, if you know what I mean, but I didn't get too close.

Do you have a best friend? If so, how did they become your best friend? How close are you to your best friend?

Takeshi was my best friend. He is my best friend. When he comes back, I'm going to be someone he's proud of.

If you were to go missing, who would worry about you?

My mom would be... it would be really bad. She almost didn't make it through when Takeshi disappeared. I didn't know what we were going to do if she couldn't hold it together, but she did somehow. I don't think she could do it twice.

Have you lost any loves? If so, how did it happen, and what did you do?

What kind of romance novel bulls--- is that? Oooh, my lost love is sooo lost.

Do you have any bitter enemies? If so, please describe them and their history with you.

Not exactly bitter. There are people I hate, but in a sort of general way because they're bullies and jerks.

If you have enemies, how do you think they might attempt to work against you in the future?

Heh, they aren't going anywhere. Screw 'em.

What is the worst thing someone has done to you?

Did I mention that thing my dad did? That.

Where do your loyalties lie? In what order?

Family always comes first. First, last, and always. If these guys at Claremont turn out not to be total assclowns, they might make the list somewhere too.

Who or what do you trust the most? Why?

I trust myself. I'm all I've got out here in Freedom City, so I'd better trust myself most. You can't really trust much of anything else.

Who or what do you despise? Why?

Oh, let's see. The government, the police, the rich bastards who run the auto companies and the unions, my dad, people who vandalize abandoned buildings, the superintendant at the juvie facility, there are lots more but it would take all day.

What qualities do you admire most in other people? Are these qualities you possess?

I admire courage and respect. Takeshi taught me that. You can't be afraid, but you can't be so bold that you start crapping all over everything to show how brave you are.

What qualities do you hate most in other people? Do you have any of those qualities?

I hate people who think they're the most important thing to ever happen. I hate people who are users and leeches. I hate people who are bigots. I try to avoid all that stuff.

Do you have a secret identity? If so, who knows it? Do you hide it from people who are close to you? Why?

Yeah, sort of. Nobody knows me here, so Papercut's secret ID is safe.

Do you work well on teams and in groups? Are you a leader or a follower?

If I trust the leader and the team, I'm the best team player you'll find. But you'd damn well better earn it if you expect me to be on your team. I don't lead, but I either follow fanatically or go my own way.

Are you on a super team? If so, how do you get along with your comrades? Do you trust them, or do you have secrets from them?

Sort of. I mean, I joined at the same time as a bunch of other students and we do stuff together. But not, you know, like the Freedom League or anything.

Are you a member of any church, fraternal organization, club, committee, political party, or other group? How much time do you spend on that?

Nah, screw politics. All politicians are bought and paid for. I'm still working the religion thing out, but I like to sleep late on Sundays.

Personality & Beliefs

Who are your heroes?

My brother is my hero. He taught me everything. My great-grandfather is my hero. He didn't let the bastards get him down. My Grandfather is my hero. He opened his house to us when we had nowhere to go and never made any of us feel like less because of it, and he was like the strongest human guy I've ever met.

Did you ever become disillusioned with former heroes or idols? If so, why and what were the circumstances?

For a couple years there I was sure my dad was going to come back, that it was a big mistake and he was just on a trip. Yeah.

Do you like being a hero? If so, what is the most rewarding part? If not, what makes you keep doing it?

I dunno, haven't done it enough to have an opinion yet. I like having powers though, it's cool.

Is there anything that would make you give up hero work, or even switch sides?

I do what's best for me and for my family. If that stops being hero work, then I'll stop being a hero.

What are your short term goals (what would you like to be doing within a year)?

I want to get these powers under control and maybe learn some origami for kicking asses. I want to do something big, something to make my family proud again.

What are your long term goals (what would you like to be doing twenty years from now)?

I don't know, maybe shacked up with that superhero hottie and sending paper 747s flying across the country.

What is your greatest fear? Why? What do you do when something triggers this fear?

I don't want people stepping on me because I'm the little guy. If you let one person step on you, you get flattened down and anyone can do it to you. You gotta stay on your feet.

Is there anything you would give you life for?

Yeah, like if my family were in trouble, or a big group of innocent people maybe and I could save them.

How do you feel about money and material wealth? Do you desire it or disdain it? Are you miserly with what you have, or do you like to share? Is it a mark of success, or a means to an end?

If somebody wants to give me a pile of money, I'm not going to turn them down. Money means opportunity, that's what it means. Opportunities to get a better house with more room, to go on vacation someplace, maybe even college for the girls and me. My mom should be able to retire someday, my grandma should be able to rest. But they can't, because money.

How do you generally treat others?

I try to live and let live, most of the time. If someone isn't messing with me, I won't mess with them. Unless they're a bully, picking on somebody smaller than them, and then I'll get in there.

Are you a trusting person? Has your trust ever been abused?

If you don't trust anyone, they can't abuse your trust. I trust my family, and that's enough.

Are you introverted (shy and withdrawn) or extroverted (outgoing)? Do you have a lot of self-confidence?

I'm not much of a joiner. I'm not that interested in most peoples' stories and I don't like to talk on and on. But I've got self-confidence, in areas where I deserve it.

How do you act around attractive, available members of your preferred sex?

Hey, I mentioned I have self-confidence when I deserve it, right? A lot of girls don't care if I don't talk much, so long as I pretend to listen.

What are your most annoying habits?

The paper-folding thing bothers some people, and sometimes I talk in my sleep. Not deep secrets, usually just random crap.

Do you feel contempt for any general category of people? Who are they, and why?

Politicians, how about that? You could toss the whole bunch into the ocean, but there's not a trench deep enough.

What is your favorite food? Do you prefer any particular type of food? Do you take the time to enjoy your food, or do you eat as fast as you can?

People are always asking me if I eat sushi for like every meal, but we hardly ever have it. What I really like is red meat on the grill, steaks and hamburgers and stuff. Don't get that often either, but it's way better than fish and rice.

What is your favorite drink (alcoholic or otherwise)?

When I was little, my granddad used to take me to this little diner trailer out by where he used to work. They had chocolate malt shakes there that I can't even describe, they were so good. They were big too, and I was real small, so we'd split one, but he let me have the cherry and the whipped cream on top.

What is your favorite treat (dessert)?

I like those fruit pies that come individually wrapped at the convenience store, with the brittle sugar outside and gooshy inside. So good, and they fit right into a backpack for missions.

Are there any specific foodstuffs that you find disgusting or refuse to eat?

If you're hungry enough, you'll eat anything. Even spinach, even though it's just totally gross in every way.

What is your favorite color? Are there any colors you dislike?

I like, like, camo colors, muted greens and browns and stuff. They're restful, and make good disguises.

What sort of music do you like? Is there any that you hate?

I like most music. I'll listen to pretty much anything, but if no one else is around, I actually like orchestral music, like with the full strings and winds and drums and everything.

If you have a favorite scent, what is it?

Old paper, that kind of musty, dusty smell of a book that hasn't been opened in a long time, or a room full of old books.

Do you have a favorite animal?

Not really. Not too fond of rats, that's for sure.

What is your most treasured possession? Why?

I'm holding onto Takeshi's backpack and kit for him till he comes back. He's going to want it when we're going out on missions again.

Do you enjoy "roughing it", or do you prefer your creature comforts?

I don't mind roughing it, but there's something nice about running water and a shower and a bed.

Is there a job or a task you would absolutely refuse to do?

Yeah, probably. There's a lot of really messed up stuff out there.

Do you consider yourself a spiritual person? If so, how do your beliefs affect your life?How important is it to you?

I don't know, I guess. My family is sort of spiritual, but I don't really know what I believe.

Was your faith influenced or molded by anyone special?

Not really, I'm still working on it.

If you belong to a religious organization, how often do you attend? Do you have a specific place of worship, or friends within the organization? How much do you agree with the beliefs of your organization?

I like to sleep in on Sunday mornings. That's the problem with church, isn't it?

Could you kill? Have you killed?

I don't know, it's never come up. I think killing changes people in a way that they don't come back from. I pretty much hope I never have to find out.

What circumstances led to you forming that conviction, or taking that action?

There are some pretty rough guys in juvie. You can tell who's had it really hard, and who is really hard.

Are there circumstances under which you believe it is permissible to kill? What are they?

Some people are like rabid animals. They aren't going to stop unless they're stopped. If the only way to do that is to put them down, then you have to do it.

How would you react to watching someone kill another person? Would your reaction be different if the killer was a friend or an enemy of yours?

I dunno, I've never seen anyone killed. I don't know if I'd be able to do anything. It would have to be a really messed up situation.

How would you react if something important was stolen from you?

You can't let anyone step on you. If someone wrongs you, you make it right and then you do back to them.

How would you react to public humiliation?

Same deal. If you let them get you down on the ground, you're dead.

How would you react if a good friend or relative were purposely or accidentally killed? Has it happened to you?

It hasn't happened, but if it did, whoever did it would pay for the rest of their miserable lives.

What do you consider to be the worst crime someone could commit and why?

Oh, I dunno, maybe theft. Like really big theft, like stealing the land and the property and the citizenship and the self-respect of a hundred thousand innocent people, just because they've got a certain heritage? Stealing things they'll never get back, ruining their lives, starving them to death, and then getting f---ing statues put up in your honor? F---ing Roosevelt was a sack of s--- who should've been tried for war crimes.

If your life were to end in 24 hours, what five things would you do in those remaining hours?

I'd try and spend it with my family, I guess. After I got a really big insurance policy on me.

Career & Training

Do you have any special training in your hero skills? If so, where and how did you get it?

Nope, that's why I'm at Claremont, so they can teach me how to turn living origami into hero tools

Who taught you the most about your heroing abilities? What was your relationship with that person?

Nobody, yet. I'm pretty much self-taught.

Do you have any particularly unusual skills? How did you acquire them?

Takeshi taught me the origami. He learned it from Great-Grandfather.

Do you do something besides hero work for a living? Have you ever done anything else, or do you plan to?

I don't have a job yet or anything. Once I get trained and graduate high school, I dunno. I'll get work somewhere, doing something.

What is your preferred combat style?

Throw a s---ton of cranes at it.

Have you ever received any awards or honours?

Nope. That was Takeshi's gig, not mine.

What skill areas would you like most to improve in? Is there anything you can't do that you wish desperately you could?

I want to be able to fight better. I want to get really good at it.

How do you act around people who are more skilled than you in areas you'd like to improve? Are you jealous, or do you try and learn?

Maybe a little jealous, but envy helps you learn. It keeps you sharp and motivated.

Lifestyle & Hobbies

What is a normal day for you? How do you feel when something interrupts this routine?

I haven't had a lot of normal days lately. But in juvie, anything that interrupts the routine is either awesome or really bad.

Do you have any hobbies, or interests outside hero work? What are they, and where did you pick them up?

I like to draw, but mostly I like to do urban archeology, getting into abandoned buildings and exploring them.

What do you do for fun?

Trespassing, chasing girls, playing with paper. You know.

Do you have a costume? What does it look like?

Not yet, but to judge from these other guys, I'm gonna have to get one. I expect it will probably be paper-themed.

How do you normally dress when not in costume?

We already covered this one. Old, comfortable.

What do you wear to bed most nights?

Whatever I wore that day.

Do you wear any special jewelry? What is it, and what does it look like?

Nope. Jewelry is for women.

Do you have a special place where you keep your valuables?

If I've got something valuable, it's staying on me. You can't trust anywhere else.

What's your preferred means of local travel? How about long distance?

Walking, busing, or giant paper airplane. Still working the kinks out of the airplane thing.

Miscellaneous

Have you ever made a will, or tried to make arrangements for your death? What provisions did you make?

I haven't got any stuff, making a will would be pretty dumb. Besides, I'm not going to die anytime soon.

If your features were to be destroyed beyond recognition, is there any other way of identifying your body?

What the f---, man? What kind of question is that?

What would you like to be remembered for after your death?

Being super rich and having more success with women than any man ever.

Do you believe you pose a threat to the public? Why or why not?

The state of Michigan obviously thinks so, but they're a bunch of drippy turds on the ass of humanity.

What do you perceive as your greatest strength?

I'm very determined and pretty creative.

What do you perceive as your greatest weakness?

I have no idea what the hell I'm doing.

As a player, if you could, what advice would you give your character? Speak as if he/she were sitting right here in front of you. Use proper tone so they might heed your advice...

K.G., you're on the right track. You want to make people proud and you will, so long as you don't let pride and bitterness and attitude get you in big trouble first. Try to learn everything you can, and try to get along, please.