Alterion PL 10

acecipher

Hey everyone, here's my first submission, and what I've done so far.

Player Name:acecipher

Character Name: Altairion

Power Level:10, 150/150

Trade-Offs: -2 Attack / +2 Damage, -4 Defense / +4 Toughness

Unspent Power Points: 0

Progress To Bronze Status:0/30

In Brief: A Mage, whose mathematically based magic manipulates the very fabric of Time and Space. Always eager to develop his powers further and help others in need.

Alternate Identity:Drake Bannings

Identity:Secret

Birthplace:Palo Alto, CA

Affiliations:Prof. Patrick F. Chang (Advisor), Bethany Joy (Officemate), Ysabel Hernandez (Officemate)

Family: Carl (Father), Lisa (Mother), Alicia (Twin Sister)

Description:

Apparent Age:25

Ethnicity: Very, very English.

Height: 6'1

Weight: 183 lbs

Eyes: somewhere between blue and green.

Hair: Brown

He is tall, with a fairly moderate build, just muscley enough to the point where its noticible to the female students of his. Besides a small beard on his chin, he is impeccably clean-shaven, all over his body (excluding his wild, unkempt hair). His clothes are usually very casual, nothing more than a T-shirt, Jeans, and running shoes, occasionally a polo or button-up shirt for fancier occasions. He has nothing against wearing suits, he's just too lazy to go through the effort of putting one on most of the time.

Power Descriptions:

His powers are all magical, and his magic is based off of the use of mana and advanced mathematics to manipulate time and space; as such, his magic usually manages to create instant runes covering everything around him, casting him in a blue and orange light. Whenever he needs to get in costume, he puts his 'barrier jacket' up (Force field power), giving him the look as seen in the picture to the right. If any attack strikes him, usually a magic circle will pop up to help block it (Also just a stylistic choice of Force Field). The wings are only there during flight. His blasts take the form of perfect (and I mean perfect) spheres, and his binds are torroids with no eccentricity.

History:

His childhood was utterly, utterly bland, and like many children with a vanilla background growing up in a rich suburb, this left him listless; his intelligence had managed to get him into the moderately prestigious University of California Santa Cruz in the Physics Major. After a horrendously bad breakup with his then-girlfriend, he had reached a point where he had decided to give up on life... and decided to spend his last moments seeing how it felt flying through the air straight down.

This, of course, was a horrendously stupid idea, and one he learned to regret... halfway down the building. But for some strange instinctual reason, when in flight, he worked out the mathematical formulae that would be needed for him to survive the fall... and found himself unharmed, at the bottom of the physics building.

He went back to his life, living on, far distracted from the concerns of some minor heartbreak, and started experimenting, only stopping for bodily needs and the weekly homework assignment. He quickly developed a different repetoire of spells, from flight to armor to x-ray like vision. He was so excited about it that it had recently become the focus of his life... but he had no one to share it with. He started trying to find another mage, and against all odds, found a fellow college student of his to shine greatly with arcane power.

Having become socially isolated, he had a bit of akwardness approaching the student, but they became fast friends, as Drake had a natural charisma that helped him deal with people, and Josh (the engineer) had an obsession with 1970s rock music, something Drake once also counted among his interests. However, with their close friendship, it was appearant that Josh had no idea of his amazing talents.

However, one day Josh was in quite a bit of hot water. His girlfriend had told him to not be late for a date, and there was no chance in hell Josh could make it through a traffic jam. However, Drake took hold of him by the shoulder, and used his spatial manipulation to get them there almost instantly, making Josh not only saved, but 10 minutes early with his apology letter. Drake told him to enjoy his date, and he told Josh about his magical potential afterwards.

After showing Josh how to use his powers, the two quickly became enamored in a project that Josh, a Mechanical Engineer, had thought up, but had nowhere near the theoretical mind to finish: A device to amplify their magic, doing the calculations for them. The design took a few months to finish, but by that time both had become as close as blood brothers.

The pair massively expanded their powers with the aid of their two devices, staff-shaped objects with tiny labtop comp-onents run off their own magical powers. Their repetoire expanded to things such as ESP and teleportation-like travel, and they both used these in the way that any college student would: to become very, very popular with the ladies on campus.

This was good, for a time, and saw both of them at a high point in their lives. But one day Drake was walking a girl home, when a boy passed by them on a bike, listening to music, not paying too much attention. Drake dismissed it with a thought, and went back to caraousing his partner, to be interrupted only seconds later by shreiking tires and screams. The kid had gotten hit by a truck that had run a red light. The scene of the accident was horrible and brutal, and shook Drake down to his core.

He finished walking his date home, and went back to his apartment. In a fit of drinking, he decided one thing: As soon as he graduates in a month, he would take up not only studies, but also dedicate his life to helping those who were not blessed with his great, superhuman powers. And so he took up the mantle of Altairion.

This was all well and good, and for the next 6 years he helped the helpless in Santa Barbara while working on his masters, and then his doctorate in Mathematics. However, shortly after he completed his thesis two of his greatest enemies, the Yakuza and the MS-13, ganged up to take him down, and threw caution and collaterateral damage to the wind. Drake decided it was too dangerous to those around him to stay in that town, and decided to stage his death and leave, letting Josh carry the burden of judging those trustworthy enough to know that he wasn't really dead, and continue with the good work he had started.

There was one problem with his plan though: He had no idea where to go. He knew of stories of heroes who weren't appreciated, and actually reviled, all across the nations, but it wasn't until he had made it halfway through Texas that he came across a discarded newspaper. Two words caught his attention, and nothing else written there mattered: Freedom City.

He set off to Freedom City, knowing that there he could make a difference, just like he wanted to. He would do his best to make sure no more boys would be splayed out dying on the asphalt.

Personality & Motivation:

For the most part, Drake is rather carefree person. He takes care of his studies, and his multidimensional mathematical reasearch, with this attitude. However, mention any of the math that he uses for his magic, or even just magic himself, and he becomes eager to learn everything one knows about it, and one's thoughts and theories on it. Another break of this carefree attitude is whenever someone is in danger: Drake will abandon whatever he is currently doing with all due haste to save whoever is needing rescue.

Powers & Tactics:

"So, you want to know how I stop the forces of darkenss and act as a champion of justice? Heh, how am I sure that you're not with the Yakuza and just seeking to use it against me?"

"Kidding, kidding. I just do that because if a Yak did come in, and they have in the past, they tend to pull guns at that statement, but I'm fairly sure that you're not by your reaction. So, down to business."

"The first thing I always do, of course, is pull up my barrier around myself. No point trying to help others if I just get taken out on the first charge, right? Heh, yeah. After that, I usually use my spatial travelling to teleport there, or to wherever I can get the best shot. If that's not on solid ground, I use my flight to try to get behind them, hopefully as quickly as possible."

"Now's where things get interesting. If I'm there with some buddies who I've set up an ambush with, which I'd have scoped out with my farsight, I'd just bind the evildoer, and let them take him down, if that's ok with them. Otherwise, I'd break out the heavy artillery, and have Denebrion activate shooting mode to blast them with all of his might. Well.... maybe not all, since I can't help but do a bit of showing off whenever I do that. But just as hard as I can. And... that's mostly it, for my standard combat strategy. If I need to pull something out of my @#$ then I have no problem doing that, either; in fact, its rather fun every once in a while to do so, and gives me ideas that I might want to develop later on."

"So... that's it. Any other questions?"

Complications:

Mana Core: Altarion's power comes from an apple-sized organ in his left hip called a Mana Core, a few inches below his kidney. If it were to ever recieve serious damage, from things such as a car crash, or gunshot wound, he would find himself unable to use his powers, even with the help of his device.

Novice in actual magic: If altarion ever pushes himself to attack at his full power, he starts to manipulate time and space in unstable ways, causing auras of light to form around him and his blasts to cause horrendous screeches as space and time bend to mystical energies being used by someone who only understands their most basic uses1. This usually results in him becoming the center of attention for everyone around, and blowing ANY cover he might have had.

Hero Syndrome: Drake cannot stand human suffering, or the thought of an innocent being injured. He will almost always disengage himself from activities, bring up his force field to hide his identity, and teleport out to solve whatever the problem is.

Abilities: 0 + 0 + 0 + 10 + 6 + 6 = 22PP

Strength 10 (+0)

Dexterity 10 (+0)

Constitution 10 (+0)

Intelligence 20 (+5)

Wisdom 16 (+3)

Charisma 16 (+3)

Combat: 8 + 8 = 16PP

Initiative: +4

Attack: +4, +8 magical attacks

Grapple: +4

Defense: +6 (+4 Base, +2 Dodge Focus), +2 Flat-Footed

Knockback: -0, -12 w/ Force Field

Saving Throws: 6 + 6 + 9 = 21PP

Toughness: +0/+14 (+0 Con, +14 Force Field [impervious 10])

Fortitude: +6 (+0 Con, +6)

Reflex: +6 (+0 Dex, +6)

Will: +12 (+3 Wis, +9)

Skills: 80R = 20PP

Concentration 12 (+15)

Diplomacy 9 (+12)

Knowledge [Arcane] 15 (+20, Skill Mastery)

Knowledge [Physical sciences] 10 (+15)

Notice 12 (+15, Skill Mastery)

Search 10 (+15, Skill Mastery)

Sense Motive 12 (+15, Skill Mastery)

Feats: 12PP

Dodge Focus 2

Improved Initiative 2

Luck 3

Ritualist

Trance

Skill Mastery (Knowledge [Arcane], Notice, Search, Sense Motive)

Ultimate Save (Will)

Ultimate Skill (Knowledge [Arcane])

Powers: 18 + 14 + 25 + 5 = 62PP

Device 6 (Easy to lose, Power Feats: Restricted 1 (Must be able to solve the determinant of a 1000 x 1000 matrix of random numbers, once) [18]

Magic Array 13 (26pp array, Power Feats 3 Alternate Powers) [29PP]

Base Power: Blast 12 (mystic blasts, Power Feats: Accurate 2) [26PP]

Alternate Power: ESP 6 (20 miles; visual and auditory senses, Extras: Duration - Sustained, Power Feats: Subtle) [25PP]

Alternate Power: Snare 12 (spatial distortion bond, Power Feats: Accurate 2) [26PP]

Alternate Power: Teleport 6 (spatial distortion, range: 20 miles, Extras: accurate, Power Feats: Change Velocity, Change Direction, Easy, Turnabout, Progression 4) [26P]

Communication 1 (Magical telepathic communication)

Flight 7 (mystic flight, 1000mph / 5000' per round) [14PP]

Force Field 14 (mystic and spatial distortion wards, Extras: Impervious 10, Power Feats: 1 Alternate Power) [25PP]

Alternate Power: Healing 9 (Power Feats: Persistent, Regrowth) and Super-Senses 4 (X-ray vision; ) [24PP]

Super-Senses 5 (Magical awareness [mental; radius, ranged]) [5PP]

Drawbacks: PP

Power Loss (Device, Flight and Force Field, when unable to think clearly enough to do math, IE if drunk or drowsy, -3pp)

DC Block:

ATTACK      RANGE     SAVE                         EFFECT

Unarmed     Touch     DC 15 Toughness (Staged)     Damage

Blast       Range     DC 27 Toughness (Staged)     Damage

Snare       Range     DC 22 Reflex (Staged)        Ensnared/Helpless

Abilities (22) + Combat (16) + Saving Throws (21) + Skills (20) + Feats (12) + Powers (62) - Drawbacks (-3) = 150 Power Points

Yes... kind of. It is magic applied in a mathematically determined fasion. Really, if he had the proper training, he could cast magic like any other caster. But he didn't, he only had college level math when his powers activated, so he applied them via the principles of math. If I had to flesh it out more, I'd say he only has the basics of actual magical manipulation down, and uses his knowledge of physics to make the effects of those basic spells stack in the manner which he desires. So, where a mage would just make the basic spell bigger on the back end (IE pre-casting) and have a big effect from that, he casts the basic spells so that their effects after casting stack on top of each other.