Archangel

In a small church in Freedom City, the priest who served as pastor had recently witnessed a destructive attack by one of the city's many supervillains, and none of the superheroes arrived before he had fled, nobody came quickly enough to stop the destruction.

It almost caused the priest to lose faith. He certainly believed that the many superhuman (or not human at all) beings who willing put themselves at risk to protect the innocent were in a way sent by God--one couldn't expect things to be directly influenced all the time, after all. But the fact that the existing heroes weren't enough, that all this destruction happened anyway...

The priest prayed for something to happen, some more direct touch of the divine to come help protect the people. He had heard of a ritual that could call out beyond the world, that could invite a divine, or perhaps angelic, force back in. He sought it out.

Farther away than you could possibly imagine, and yet right there next to him, I was among the beings that heard that call. I was the one who eagerly volunteered to accept the invitation, and go to the aid of this City. I might have done it before and longed for the chance to come again. I... don't actually know.

That is the nature of how it works, you see. Some may argue that I could have settled all theological disputes with my knowledge of what resides beyond this world--but they would be wrong. I would do just the opposite--by claiming that any religion or philosophy is right (or that none of them are) I would start wars. So I won't tell you. In point of fact, I actually can't. I don't remember. Part of the deal with taking a solid, mortal body. I know next to nothing about where I come from.

I only know that I was sent, because we always answer such entreaties for aid. It would be cruel to ignore them, and that we are most certainly not, that much I do know.

Where I'm from, I was more of a spirit. The classical angel forms I take here represents somewhat what the priest expected me to look like. Don't think they're the only forms I could have taken.

If the priest expected me to care particularly for his needs, or those of his church or religion, then he did not get exactly what he hoped for. He only asked, however, for a dedicated defender who would always protect those in need, and that I will always be. Not what he wanted, perhaps, but what he asked for--and what was needed. We're very good at that, you see.

Introduction

Give a two or three word description of yourself. Dedicated defender

Do you have any nicknames, street names, titles, or nom de plume? Archangel

What is your full birth name? I wasn't exactly born. I probably have a true name, but I couldn't tell you what it is.

Where do you live? Around Freedom City

Why do you live there? I was called and sent to help defend this city and its inhabitants. I don't sleep, so I generally just keep my eye out all the time. Don't really need a private residence.

What do you perceive as your greatest strength? Determination

What do you perceive as your greatest weakness? I don't really know... I haven't been around long enough for it to come up. My firm belief that any being capable of thinking for him-, her-, or itself is perfectly capable of doing good, and that there is nobody that can not be redeemed might be a weakness at times. I still think it shows strength of character, although it's likely a weakness in conflict.

Physical Traits

How old are you? Old, I imagine. Although I might be younger than I think... In this form, I'm not very old at all. A week, thereabouts.

What is your sex? Neither. Currently, I appear as a female.

What is your race? Er.. angelic, I suppose. If you mean ethnicity, then again none, although I appear Asian, today.

How tall are you? Currently, I am 5'10". As with the others, this is mutable.

How much do you weigh? Oh, I have no idea, to be honest.

What is your general body type, frame, bone structure, and poise? Variable. Well, perhaps except for poise, which I suppose I might call confident. How is that related to the others, anyway?

What is your skin colour? Currently fair

What is your hair colour? Today it is dark

What is your hair style? I have it worn a bit past my shoulders, bound by a ribbon.

Do you have any facial hair? Not usually

What is your eye colour? Brown, at the moment

How attractive are you? I think I'm generally decently attractive. Nothing particularly attention-grabbing.

What is your most distinguishing feature? Physical, you mean? The wings, I imagine.

Do you have any scars, tattoos, or birthmarks? Not at the moment, no.

What is your handedness (left/right/ambidextrous)? Generally right

Do you resemble some currently known person? Er... I suppose I could. I really have no idea.

What kind of clothing do you wear? Technically none. I typically appear in robes, often white. Today, I am actually in a light blue dress.

Do you wear makeup? No

What sort of vocal tone do you have? Depends on the day. Commanding, would be a constant descriptor, I suppose.

History

Where is your homeland? Depending on one's point of view, either Freedom City or very much not. I can't speak much of it.

Are you aware of its history? I know a bit of Freedom City. The other place I couldn't even name now.

Are you patriotic or a social outcast? Are those really mutually exclusive?

What are your opinions of home? I gladly came from where I was as long as I knew I'd be of use here. I still know that I will return someday, and have my memories and knowledge restored. I know that I made that decision, but I haven't been here long enough to form much of an opinion on it, and I don't know enough about there to say anything.

Where is your home town? Freedom, I suppose, in a sense.

Are your real reasons for becoming an superhero different from what you tell others? If they were, would I tel you now? In any case, they are not.

How far would you go to keep such secrets from being revealed? What would you do if the truth became known? I understand why some heroes must keep their private identity a secret--to protect their families and so that they can have normal relationships, at a minimum. I don't really have any secrets, though.

What do you fear would occur if the truth became known? I don't think this one really applies.

Do you have any particularly high or low ability scores? All of my basic capabilities are significantly above human average, but still well within normal human range. I don't excel at anything in particular.

How have these scores affected your life so far? I don't really fit in with normal humans enough for it to matter. I certainly don't mind interacting socially, but I think I'll always stand out long before we get to how strong I am.

What about your race, growing up were you in the majority or a minority? Uh... that doesn't really apply, I don't think. If it does, I don't know it.

Did this impact your outlook in any way? Obviously not.

How do you feel about other races? As I said to an earlier question, I think all thinking beings make their own individual choices. If you mean different human races, I don't think it really makes any difference at all.

Were there any traumatic experiences in your early years (death of a family member, abandonment, orphaned at an early age)? Can't say there were.

Briefly describe a defining moment in your childhood and how it influenced your life. Childhood? Sorry, doesn't work.

What stupid things did you do when you were younger? Oh, I have no idea. If three days ago counts as "younger," then there was an embarrassing incident where I mistook some teenagers roughhousing in the park for an actual assault and swooped in to the rescue.

Which toys from your childhood have you kept? I don't think I really had toys, and don't know if I exactly had a childhood.

Why? What do they mean to you? If you didn't keep any, why not? What did you do to them all? Uh, not applicable.

Do you have any deep, dark secrets in the past that may come back to haunt you? I hope not! I doubt anyone here would know of them anyway.

Are you who you claim to be? If I wasn't, why would I say so now? I am, of course.

Do you have any sort of criminal record? I believe, technically, that vigilantism is a crime, and as I am not a police officer, I am guilty. I do believe that superheroes are generally not charged, so no, no record. Not that I think I have a legal identity to charge--which is also illegal, I think? I'm not a law-enforcer, I fight for the right, not the legal.

How do you view the heroes/legends of your country? Of... this country? Depends on which ones. Some are great, some seem legendary for... let's say, less than savory legacies.

Family

Who were your parents? I don't know I had any.

Were you raised by them? If not, then why didn't they and who did raise you? Don't know that I was raised.

What was their standing in the community? I don't think there was much of a social hierarchy where I'm from.

Did your family stay in one area or move around a lot? Move?

How did you get along with their parents? You're making me feel like I'm missing something.

How would your parents describe you? Answer this in the voice of your mother, then in your father's. Absolutely amazing, of course.

Do you have any siblings? If so how many and what were their names? How did you get along with each of your siblings?

What was your birth position in the family? I probably had siblings of a sort. A great many. I have no idea. Well, I suppose. Simultaneous. largely? That last one's just a guess, not even an educated one.

List all current knowledge of family locations, spouses, children, birth dates, schooling, and any important incidents that only you and they might remember. That is a very long, complicated question. I am glad it doesn't really apply to me.

Do you stay in touch with them or have you become estranged? Let's say, temporarily estranged.

Do you love or hate one member of the family in particular? No

Is any member of the family special to you in any way (perhaps, as a confidant, mentor, or arch-rival)? Isn't that pretty much the same thing?

Are there any black (or white) sheep in the family (including you)? Oh, I suppose that's likely.

If so, who are they and how did they "gain" the position? Betrayal of some sort, if various human religions' accounts are at all accurate.

Do you have a notorious or celebrated ancestor? There are a great many legends, myths, stories, and religious tales on this world that could be either. I'm afraid I don't know if they're true, or if "ancestor" is exactly the right word, for that matter.

If so, what did this person do to become famous or infamous? All kinds of things. Don't know which really existed.

Do you try to live up to the reputation of your ancestor, try to live it down, or ignore it? Depends which one! I don't do it because of any stories, though. I live for myself, and what I know is right and that I was sent to do.

Do you ever want to have a family of your own someday? If a close-knit group counts as a family, I hope I may have one on Earth someday.

Would anything change your mind on this issue and if so, what? Dieing, I suppose. Although I might be able to try again later.

What type of person would be your ideal mate? I don't really seek a mate in the sense I think you mean.

Relationships

Do you have any close friends? If so, who and what are they like? Not yet. I hope to. Superheroes, probably. They're more used to dealing with beings like me.

What is the history of their relationship(s) with you? None?

Do you currently have a best friend whom you would protect with your reputation or your life? That isn't exclusive to a best friend. I like to think most people would do that for anyone. Protecting others is a part of the nature of people.

If so, who are they and what caused you to feel so close to them? What would have to happen for you to end this relationship? Not applicable

Do you have any bitter enemies? No, but I'll probably make some. Oh, that's pessimistic for me.

If so, who are they, what are they like, and what is the history of their feud with you? None

Have you defeated them before? My nonexistent nemesis? Three and a half times.

How might these enemies seek to discomfit you in the future? Threatening innocents or friends.

Which person(s) or group(s) are you most loyal to? Nobody, yet.

Who is your most trusted ally? I don't have any, in particular.

Who do you trust, in general? Anyone who asks for it, to some degree.

Who do you despise and why? Oh, I don't like the word despise. I think I have a dislike for this "White Knight" character, although I've never met him. I think anyone can be redeemed, but he might be a tough case--I'm also more concerned with protecting innocents than trying to guide people, and he threatens that.

Name seven things you hate in others. Hatred. Um, let's see... prejudice, hypocrisy, disregard for others, desire for power over others without good reason. Oh, let's also say alienation and depression. I suppose things I hate in others can mean things I want to help them with, too.

Is your image consistent? No. Or yes? What does that mean, exactly?

Do you deliberately present yourself differently in different situations, and how? My physical manifestation isn't entirely consistent. If you mean how I present myself as a person, then no.

What would you die for? Anyone who needed it. I hope most situations don't call for it, but I won't age or die from disease, so it will happen eventually unless I leave of my own will. Which I don't foresee happening as long as there is good to do.

What is the worst thing someone has done to you? Nothing worth noting, as of yet.

What is your general reaction to an attractive member of the opposite sex who lets you know they are available? There isn't really an opposite of "neither," and in any case I'm not human and I'm not interested in that kind of relationship.

How do you get along with others of the same adventuring class? ...What?

Have you lost any loves? Oh, not in this life.

How did you handle the situation (short & long term)? Not applicable, as of right now.

Who would miss you should you go missing? I don't think I've been around long enough to be missed.

How close are you to your adventuring companions? I don't have any yet.

What do they not know about you? Heh, everything, I suppose.

Are you a member of any house, guild, organization, or church? What is your level of involvement? No, and none.

Personality & Beliefs

Do you, or did you, have any role models? I might have, I don't really now.

Do you have any heroes or idols, either contemporary or from legend? Isn't that the same thing?

Did you ever become disillusioned with former heroes or idols? If so, why and what were the circumstances? Not that I know of.

When did you decide to become an adventurer? Someone needed to, and i gladly volunteered. I can do more good here.

Why have you chosen to risk your life as a career? Oh, that makes me think about how humans do it. But it's different for me. I'll just return from whence I came when I fall here.

What do you expect to get out of being an adventurer? What, if anything, would make you stop adventuring? I don't expect to get much other than thanks (which is plenty). I hope others get something out of it though, that's why I do it--or does that count as me getting something, since it's what I want?

Do you have any dreams or ambitions? If not, why? Hmm, nothing specific.

What are your short term goals (what would you like to be doing within a year)? Goals? Accomplish something. Stop some supervillainous plots--of course, if I never get the chance, that's a good thing, right?

What are your long term goals (what would you like to be doing twenty years from now)? Hopefully, more of the same.

If these goals seem at odds with each other, or with your dreams, how do you reconcile the differences? They aren't.

Do you have any great rational or irrational fears or phobias? If so, what are the origins of, or reasons behind them? Not really. Fear of innocents getting hurt, because I couldn't stop it--or worse, because of a mistake I made. But that's not really a phobia, is it?

How do you react when this fear manifests itself? I suppose I'll find out. Well, I hope.

What are your attitudes regarding material wealth? I don't need any, but a little doesn't hurt.

Are you miserly with your share of the wealth, or do you spend it freely? I spend it freely, but all I have is a little I pick up here and there.

Do you see wealth as a mark of success, or just as a means to an end? Means to an end, primarily.

How do you generally treat others? Well, I think. I hope I don't seem aloof.

Do you trust easily (perhaps too easily) or not? Perhaps too easily, but I'd rather give everyone the benefit of the doubt.

Are you introverted (shy and withdrawn) or extroverted (outgoing)? Both, at times. I'm certainly more extroverted, though.

Are you a humble soul or blusteringly proud? I try to be humble, but I can probably be a bit arrogant.

What habits do you find most annoying in friends? I'm not sure. Rambling without coming out with the point, perhaps?

What are your most annoying habits? I don't have any, does that count?

Is there any race, creed, alignment, religion, class, profession, political viewpoint, or the like against which you are strongly prejudiced, and why? Absolutely not... wait... Allegiance? Judging someone for what they actually do is the opposite of prejudice.

What is your favorite food? Sweets. Not what you expected? I don't actually have to eat, so actual meal-type food is too much for me. I enjoy some small sweets on occasion.

What is your favorite drink? Again, I don't drink much, but a bit of lemonade is nice.

What is your favorite treat (dessert)? I haven't tried many, really. Something sweet.

Do you favor a particular cuisine? Isn't that the same as favorite food?

Do you savor the tastes when eating or "wolf down" your food? When I eat, I try to do it slowly.

Do you like food mild or heavily spiced? Oh... both, I suppose.

Are there any specific foodstuffs that you find disgusting or refuse to eat? Nothing in particular, but again I don't eat much.

What are your favorite color(s)? Bright ones.

Is there any color that you dislike? Not really.

Do you have a favorite (or hated) song, type of music, or instrument? Nothing in particular, no. I think I generally prefer softer music, though.

If you have a favorite scent, what is it? Vanilla, maybe.

What is your favorite type of animal? Cats, I think, but that may be because other animals are less likely to be out and come up to me.

Are you allergic to any kinds of animals? No

Is there anything that enrages you? Violence, I suppose.

Is there anything which embarrasses you? It hasn't happened much, but I wouldn't be terribly surprised.

Do you enjoy "roughing it", or do you prefer your creature comforts? Comforts are nice, but I generally do without.

Do you have a patron deity? No

Are you devout or impious? Devout

Do you actively worship and proselytize or do you simply pay lip service? Neither, really. But isn't this almost the same question? You certainly can be repetitive, can't you?

What lengths would you go to defend your faith? Considering most faiths' beliefs in compassion and kindness, defending one's faith is often actually a display of hypocrisy more than anything else. To defend one's faith, one should live its ideals--the best defense. I think this is why I'm not supposed to know the truth for sure.

Was your faith influenced or molded by anyone special? Most likely. I don't remember, though.

Do you belong to a dominant church, or an independent church, cult, or sect (and is the group accepted, frowned upon, or considered heretics)? I don't belong to any particular church.

Will you kill? No.

When did you decide (or learn) that you would? I didn't.

When do you consider it okay to kill (under what circumstances)? When one doesn't have any other choice. Given the nature of the weapons I use, I know that I can subdue foes with no risk of killing them just as easily as I can kill. For most humans, this is an act of extreme finesse, and the risks might not be worth it. Some people have to be stopped from harming others, and sometimes they can not be stopped unharmed. I understand this, even if I do not like it.

When do you consider it wrong to kill (under what circumstances)? In most circumstances. People of any kind can be redeemed, and killing doesn't help anyway..

What would you do if someone else attempted to (or successfully did) kill under your "wrong" circumstances, what would be your reaction? To stop them, of course. That's why I'm here.

What if it were your enemy? That... might depend on the situation. But you said under the wrong circumstances already, didn't you? Well then, I must stop them.

What if it were your friend? Stop them.

What if the opponent were not in control of their own actions (under duress, charmed, dominated, possessed)? The opponent must still be stopped. Perhaps extra care can be taken to keep him or her from coming to harm. Restraining rather than fighting--if possible.

What would you do if something were stolen from you? I don't really own anything. Take steps to retrieve it, I suppose.

What would you do if you were badly insulted publicly? Prove the insult wrong--or accept it, if the insulter and I disagree on what an insult is. I have seen some humans insult others for too much compassion. That is a charge I would gladly own.

What would you do if a good friend or relative were killed by means other than natural death? Certainly not vengeance, if that's what you're asking. Seek to ensure that the same thing does not happen again, I suppose. Capture the culprit, if there is one.

What is the one task you would absolutely refuse to do? Only one?

What do you consider to be the worst crime someone could commit and why? Murder, I think. Anything else, a person can recover from in this life.

How do you feel about government (rulers) in general? Why do you feel that way? I'm not familiar enough with the human leadership to say anything one way or another.

Do you support the current government of your homeland? Of my homeland? I don't think the government changes hands much there, and yes, I must say it's supported--I assume.

If so, how far are you willing to go to defend the government? If not, do you actively oppose it? Eh, my help isn't needed there. Here, I will defend legitimate governments from attack, but not from complaint.

What form of government do you believe is the best (democracy, monarchy, anarchy, aristocratic rule, oligarchy, matriarchy) and why? I think, in theory, the democratic republic of the United States is a very good system. Larger nations can not handle true democracy--nobody would do anything but vote, and nobody could possibly manage the votes. In practice, it has its flaws, but so does everything that's been tried. Inherited power is the worst. Meritocracy is far superior, and a voice of the governed is vital.

Do you have any unusual habits or dominant personality traits that are evident to others? Oh, I'm sure. I fear I act distant sometimes.

If so, describe them and how you acquired them, as well as when they might be more noticeable and what causes them. Was I simply supposed to say "Yes" to the last question, then? The cause of my likely alienation is likely that I am alien. Does that cover it?

Do you have any unusual or nervous mannerisms, such as when talking, thinking, afraid, under stress, or when embarrassed? Not that I've been made aware of.

What is your most treasured possession? I don't really own things.

If your life were to end in 24 hours, what 5 things would you do in those remaining hours? The same as I've done with the preceding 24. I'm here for a reason.

Career & Training

Where and how were you educated? If I was, I don't remember it. There are some things about this world that I just seem to know, although I'm sure I must have learned them at some point.

Who trained you in your adventuring class(es)? My abilities are part of the angelic form I hold.

What was your relationship with your teacher(s)/mentor(s)? Amicable, I'm sure.

Is this person or institution still in existence? Oh, probably.

Were you a prize student or did you just barely pass? Couldn't tell you. I'm sure I did amazingly well, of course.

Look at your skills. How did you acquire them (especially the unusual ones)? Everything I can do now I could do when I first manifested here. If I learned any of it, I don't remember that.

Have you ever done anything else for a living? Not that I'm aware of.

How do you function in combat (maneuvers, weaknesses)? I can fly, and I can draw forth a variety of holy weapons. I can also heal my allies or any innocents that were harmed, if need be.

Have you ever received any awards or honors? Not that I remember

Is there anything that you don't currently know how to do that you wish you could? There are a great many things I don't know how to do, just like anyone else. I know little about computers, and I think it would be helpful to learn.

Are you envious of others who can do such things in a good-natured way or are you sullen and morose about it? I'm not envious at all! Why must I be envious in some manner? If anything, I can rely on such people and they may be able to teach me.

Lifestyle & Hobbies

When not adventuring, what is your normal daily routine? I don't do much else, to be honest.

How do you feel and react when this routine is interrupted for some reason? Depends on the nature of the interruption.

What are your hobbies when you are not adventuring or training? I don't have any particular hobbies. I do enjoy reading.

What do you do for relaxation? What things do you do for enjoyment? What interests do you have? Oh, reading again, I suppose.

How do you normally dress when not in your adventuring gear? The same. Didn't you already ask that?

What do you normally wear in bed at home? I don't sleep.

What do you normally wear in bed while adventuring? See above.

Do you wear any identifiable jewelry? Not usually.

Where do you normally put your weapons, magic items, or other valuables when you are sleeping? Still don't sleep.

What morning or evening routines do you normally have? Keeping an extra eye out, against what lurks in the dark.

Do these change when you are adventuring? No

Travel: how do you get around locally? I fly

Do you have a Last Will and Testament? No

What does it say? Surprisingly, the document that doesn't exist says nothing.

Miscellaneous

What would you like to be remembered for after your death? My life

What kind of threat do you present to the public? why none, I hope!

If your features were to be destroyed beyond recognition, is there any other way of identifying your body? I'm not sure if that's possible, of if there would be a body... But I suppose there wouldn't be.

As a player, if you could, what advice would you give your character? Speak as if he/she were sitting right here in front of you. Use proper tone so they might heed your advice...

Yeesh, advice to an angel, huh? Well, try to interact with people more on an individual level, particularly the "innocents" you generally refer to as a group. You recognize that all individuals are different, but I don't think you always show it around normal people.