Karaoke Night at Morley's Pub

EviscerusNox

Morley's Pub

September 16th, 2017, Saturday @ 2100

Maxie walked into Morley's and smiled at the already gathering crowd.  He needed this, needed some time to relax, even if he was being forced into his superhero get up.  He remembered thinking idly that He was rarely ever in it when doing actual heroing, as it always seemed to catch him by surprise, but he had to admit he cut a dashing figure in an all leather black biker outfit with flames stitched into them up the arms and legs.  It was early still, around 9 PM and so the place hadn't quite filled out yet.  The entertainment on the docket today was billed as Super Hero Appreciation Karaoke Night.  Apparently the heroes of the city were supposed to show up in their digs and sing some for the crowd and their fellow do gooders.  This sounded like an excellent idea to Maxie, aka: Spitfire.  He had spent most of his life as a performer, a carnival fire breather to be exact but crowds were all the same.  They just wanted a good show and Maxie knew just the song to give them that good show.  

Seeing that the crowd wasn't quite big enough yet, though, he decided to wait.  He walked up to the bar, greeting the patrons as he went.  Most did not recognize him personally, he was relatively new in town, again.  But they recognized a hero get up when they saw one and offered praise and claps on the back as he made his way to the bar.

"Laphroaig Triple Wood, if ya got it please.  If not, any Scotch of 12 years or older should do.  As long as it's single malt!  That blended stuff is atrocious."  Max smiled as the drink was handed to him and took a long deep sniff of the alcohol.  Drinking scotch was a lot like drinking wine, you had to do it right.  You had to acclimate your senses to the smell so the alcohol wouldn't overwhelm the flavors.  Recognizing the peaty aroma of the triple wood, Max closed his eyes and let out a slow happy sigh.  This was gonna be a good night.

Edited by EviscerusNox

Torpedo Lass
Torpedo Lass walked into the pub, curious partially, but also thinking it'd be an excuse for a good time.

The PR pressers had died down on her joining the Dream Team as a late entry, but considering she could swim from Washington D.C. to Freedom City faster than most fighter jets could cover the distance in afterburner, she wasn't needing to schedule for commutes. Just some drying time so she didn't leave wet spots, and time to make sure her special deck shoes transition between swim-fin mode and deck shoe mode.

She decided to come in geared up. Considering it was hero identities welcome, but to her, she was as much Mary Masterson as Torpedo Lass.

She stretched out, taking a seat at the bar, straightening out her sailor collar on what she calls her uniform... which was more functional gear for her line of work as anything close to a "costume" in the classical sense.

She spotted the Guiness and orders a full pint. "Ain't got work tomorrow, so what the heck." She said with a grin. She noticed the tap was a standard one... "Oh a double pour? Not bad..." She said, leaning on the counter as the two-minute, perfect pour was made and the tall glass slid down to her. "Time to loosen up."

Her bluish green eyes she spotted in a mirror behind the counter... they really did show up in the dimmer lighting of the bar. Not that she noticed the lower light... she could read the fine print on a contract even in this light.

She takes a sip, noticing the other guy at the countertop. "Scotch? Not bad..."

She wasn't much of an alcohol person... only familiar with name brands, but she knew a proper Scotch when she saw one... even for the designated driver back in the service, she could see a scotch when she's seen one. And the after effects of the sailors she drove home. "Here for the fun?" She said, looking over the costume. "Haven't been around town much lately. President stuff and PR being like it is." She said with a blush.

Edited by Sailor

Max swiveled in his bar seat to look at the newcomer and smiled his toothiest smile.  

"Honey, everything I do is for fun!"  He noticed her magenta hair first, her eyes second, and the Guinness third.  He raised his glass of scotch to the young lady and nodded a toast.

"Prost,"  Max took a small gulp of the whiskey and it simultaneously sent a comforting burn down his stomach and filled his mouth and thoughts with memories of campfires.  "President eh?  Well don't we have friends in high places!  I knew a carnie when I was on the road that did a pretty good impersonation of the guy.  Her beard was longer though.  Name's Spitfire, but you can go ahead and call me Maxie, or Max.  I plan on gettin' up on that stage in a bit, but figured I'd settle in and get loosened up.  You gonna sing for us, Miss...?"

Mali wasn't one for the bar scene. She was old enough to drink, but seldom did so. Super Hero Appreciation Night, though, drew her attention. She could cook well, she could fight even better, but her skills in music were lacking. They weren't going to drag her up on stage. To that effect she decided not to show up in costume.

She loved to ride in the cool autumn air, so when she walked inside Morley's, it was in her riding gear. Leather jacket, jeans and boots. Her hair was short cropped and teased into stylishly asymmetrical little spikes. She was grateful that she wore a full helmet, because she had done her makeup and didn't want to have to correct it. She walked up to the two obviously costumed heroes at the bar and nodded. She took her jacket off and laid it across the back of a chair. Under it, she wore a sleeveless black shirt with some stylized logo on the front. She had a tattoo on her upper back that extended across her right shoulder.

"Can I get a Singapore Sling? Thanks." She turned to the heroes. "Oh, sorry. You don't know me, secret IDs and such, but I decided not to show up in costume tonight. I suck at singing."

Max smiled warmly at the newcomer raised his glass to her.  "That's some nice ink you got there darlin'.  You ever need anymore you just come find me.  Name's Spitfire, but like I told this lovely young lady," Max said pointing to the Magenta haired woman drinking the Guinness, "You can call me Maxie, or Max.  As far as this not singing thing goes that's just hogwash, you don't need to be a good singer to get down with some karaoke.  I'm no classically trained Alto or nothing.  It's all about the performance, not the singin'.  But if yer chicken, I totally get it."  Max winked as he took another long sip from his scotch, obviously teasing the young woman.  Max was starting to relax, and having pleasant conversations with other heroes while the world wasn't on fire was actually a lot more fun than he thought it would be.  He always imagined most heroes to be so wound up that they'd be no fun.  Turns out he wasn't as much the exception to the rule as he thought he was.  Then of course, he was doing most of the talking so maybe he was just projecting.  He had a tendency to run his mouth a bit, after all.

Now, Amir could have done an Amir entrance.  But that would be rude, as it was someone else's roof.  He did think of arriving on a golden chariot pulled by Lamborghini's, ones with lasers to shoot down an alien horde, however this was an outdoor event, and he had to be semi low-key.

Instead he opened the door, and stepped inside, striking a superhero pose.  Head lifted and turned to the side, his hands pressed to his hips.  He wore a cream colored linen suit, with a white shirt.  Matching brown brogues to his belt.  Lowering his head, he checked to see if anyone had noticed him.  So he decided to allow himself to glow a little bit, and look all heroic and commanding.  And stuff.  He didn't yell out a 'Behold, I have arrived!' but he wanted to.

After a few moments, he stepped on in and he raised a hand, "I'm getting everyone's!"  He boomed in announcement, because he could catch everyone's tab without blinking, after all what was the point of effectively unlimited funds if that was not a thing you did?

18 hours ago, EviscerusNox said:

President eh?  Well don't we have friends in high places!

Torpedo Lass moved her hair back. "Well he's not a friend... but boss? One of a few. And he overrides my boss at the VA. Veteran's Outreach." She says with a smile. "But I wager you've heard of the Dream Team, aye?" she says, then points to herself with her thumb. "You're lookin' at their newest member." She grinned seeing Amir walk in. Once he was in a more comfortable earshot she nodded. "Whoever picks up the tab is a friend of mine. A friend of every sailor at any port is the one with the open pockets." She says with a wink.

She was starting to get loose. "Slide me the book on what songs the machine got. I'll make a choice while someone takes the stick first. This pint needs a bit more work on my end first."

Max turned to see the newcomer and squinted his eyes.  He looked familiar, but Max was having trouble placing it.

"If this fine gentleman is buyin' set me up with another one o' them Laphroaig's.  Sorry to say friend, but I got expensive tastes.  Ya don't feel like coverin' it, that's fine I brought my own cash tonight.  Thought it was fair to warn ya is all that I got what they call a "high tolerance."  And a taste for finer things I usually shouldn't be buyin."  Max continued to stare at the newcomer and started tapping his feet.  "Sorry to stare but damned if you don't look familiar sir, what's yer name?  Mine's Spitfire."

Max slid the book over to Torpedo Lass.  "Here you go darlin' have at it.  Got my song picked out already, just have to finish these now two rounds of scotch first."

This is probably a really bad idea idea.

Casey Blankenship, fully suited up as Miracle Girl, came in for a landing in front of Morley's, having looped around a bit to hide the fact that she came from the direction of the FCU campus; she felt bad slipping out on her sorority sisters, but her homework was all done (in a matter of seconds, as usual) and this seemed like a a good opportunity to meet other heroes, despite her relative lack of talent. The only real concern was the whole...bar part. Miracle Girl bravely strode up to the bouncer, still surrounded by the residual golden glow from her flight over, wearing her red, white and blue jumpsuit, gloves and boots, and her golden utility belt. However, tonight one thing was different: she'd traded her usual boots for a pair of cherry red cowboy boots!

"Hi! I'm...here for the singing thing, but I'm only nineteen; do you have an armband I can wear?" She leaned forward to whisper, "I, uh, do have a driver's license....if you need to see it..."

A few minutes later, the blonde beauty entered Morley's, looking a bit uncertain, at least until she saw the heroes over at the bar. "Hi there!" She flashed the bartender a winning smile as she self-consciously held up her wrist; her voice bore a hint of a Southwestern twang. "Can I have a Sprite?" She recognized a few heroes (all much older than her), but felt it was better to wait for them to handle introductions.

Edited by Heritage

Jaden was never one for big gatherings. Not that he was anti-social or anything of the sort, far from it, but more like he simply appreciated a bit of peace and tranquility, especially after a long day at school or hero work. However, when he heard about this Superhero Appreciation Night at this "Morley's Pub" he felt he might as well break his usual routine and get to know the locals a bit better.

After agonizing over what to wear, and several snarky comments about his fashion choices from Gaia, he decided to go with something simple yet comfortable. A pair of forest green pants with black socks and shoes with a dark brown t-shirt and a black jacket over it, on the jacket's back was an outline made up of green jagged markings that formed into a large oak tree. With that done, he headed to the spot where the pub was and waltzed inside. Seeing several costumed heroes sitting at the counter suddenly made him swallow a lump in his throat. 

It's ok, man. It's ok, you can do this. Just...just do what that guy in that one anime always says! Believe in the you that believes in yourself! Having sufficiently psyched himself up, he walked up and took a seat, smiling at the bartender, "Hi there. I'll take a root beer float, thank you." The young man immediately face-palmed at what he had just said before deciding that he should strike up a conversation, "Hey, so I take it you guys are heroes too, huh? You probably don't know me anyways as I haven't been in town very long..."

He noticed the book, "Any songs by Rush on there? I quite enjoy their music."

Yasmin looked at the drinking establishment from the outside. The perpetual smile on her face a little weather beaten from over the years, but still there! Not like she wanted to drink or anything. But it was her twenty-third birthday. She'd never been to a bar before. So why not now? Not that she wanted the alcohol. Not that she needed it either. Hero appreciation and singing. That's what she wanted. And maybe some companionship. you could always make a friend.

Well, here she was. Dressed in a sleeveless, ankle length, white, silk gown. Her arms crossed. Still looking at the place from the outside. Not that she feared going inside. She saw several heroes go inside. She could have assumed her hero form. But the whole equine thing would probably be more trouble than it was worth. She took a few steps towards the door. Each one slower than before. Putting her arms down, she took a deep breath and walked in the door.

There were lots of people here! Great, she thought, awesome! Lots of people to connect with! She showed her ID to the person at the door. Looking around, there was a bunch of people she knew from their exploits. She made it a thing to know people. She went through the crowd. Not that she was highly visible in this crowd. here were heroes here. Miracle Girl. Spitfire. Asad. Many others. Tonight no one would know that they were talking to The Unicorn. She was Yasmin for now.

Edited by Moira Morley

Max greeted the young man before noticing the vision that had just entered.  Deciding he would forego the second scotch until after his turn on the mic, he slammed back the remainder of his current glass and stood.  He walked directly to the young lady, took her hand, kissed it with a smile and wink, then pointed to Asad.

"That guy's payin'.  Better get yer order in love.  I'll be back in a minute to beg forgiveness for my rudeness, but right now I got a song to sing."

Without another word or waiting for reply, Max walked up to the stage and told the young lady manning the karaoke machine what his pick was.  He waited patiently for her to cue it up and said in the mic before the song started, "Let's get ironic."

Max was no professional singer, but he knew how to work a crowd, how to perform, and being on stage was always more about what you did than how you sounded.  Still he had a good voice and had picked a song that complimented it well enough, in his key range and everything.  He moved about the stage during the song, slightly dancing, making hand gestures, playing to the crowd.  He would have provided pyrotechnics but the song didn't really call for it, so he figured his next time up would be more that speed.  When the song ended he took a small bow.

"Thank you all!"

"Ha!"  That was rich, someone saying they had expensive tastes, not that he'd denigrate this place... but... well c'mon, they didn't have anything that could really dent what he had offhand.  He held up a hand as he looked at the bartender.  "Long Island."  He gestured to Mali, "I got hers too, everyone is drinking on me. Costume, or not.  And food too."

Amir looked at the man levelly for a moment, as he worked through the memory himself.  "Six years ago there was that attack at a little festival in Parkside."  Of course then Maxi was going up to sing, it wasn't bad. Amir couldn't really sing, he wasn't horrible, and he could follow melody, but he was no Freddie Mercury.

He clapped at the end of the song, it wasn't horrible.  But the night was young, and no one was sloshed yet.

Yasmin bopped along with the beat of the music. He was quite good for a singer. Not that she had any right to judge. She only mostly hummed or whistled, but tonight she was going to do something fun. Actually sing. She'd wait her turn. There were heroes here. Like her, but more outward. She could talk as The Unicorn, but she was sure they wouldn't let her in with that form. She giggled at the thought of singing.

Walking over to the bar she looked at the wall of alcohol and sighed. That wasn't her. She was not about to be a Roman in Rome. "I'll take a tea, with grenadine." She looked over to see Jaden ordering a float. She liked the earthy tones. She wore them during winter, not so much outside of it. The bartender handed her her tea. She was unsure but she put a five down for a tip anyway. "So, are you going to sing next," she asked Jaden taking a sip of her tea.

Spitfire climbed off stage to some sparse adulation, to see him one would think he'd just got a 15 minute standing ovation, but that was just another part of playing it up for the crowd.  Maxie returned to his seat at the bar and found another scotch waiting for him.  He sipped it happily and listened to the conversations of the heroes and civilians around him.  He was genuinely starting to wind down and have a good time.  It was nice being in the company of heroes, even if most of them were more well known and didn't know him.  He'd never really expected fame and fortune from being a hero, just some fun, and to help folks that needed helping.  He was remembering all the times he did the hero thing when it clicked and he yelled, out of nowhere at Amir.

"Parkside, right?!  You were there for that scuffle during the fair.  I think I still got yer card somewhere!  Mighta burnt up though, never can tell."

Casey hadn't heard Max's song before, but it was a funky little toe-tapper, and when she finished she clapped, whooped and whistled enthusiastically. Not seeing anyone else heading up to the mic, the blonde heroine finally bit her lip and nodded to herself. "You know what, I'll go next; I've got a fun one." She had a quick whispered consultation with the DJ, who gave her a big smile and a thumbs up. Her requested so approved, Miracle Girl bent her knees and leaped on the stage in a graceful arc over the heads of the crowd.

"Hi, everyone. In case you don't know me, I'm Miracle Girl." There were a few cheers and whistles, which she acknowledged with a quick bow "Thank you. And sort of continuing with the theme of irony that Spitfire started, I'm going to sing a song I love about something I would never do." 

Then the music started, and Casey began to tap the toe of her boot and slap her thigh to the rhythm of a little slice of country as a Big and Rich hit began to play. Like Max, she was far from a professional singer, but the Coloradan's voice was not unpleasant and her line dancing moves were pretty darn good; during the music break, she hooked her thumbs in her utility belt and really went to town, flinging her golden locks this way and that as her red cowboy boots stomped to the beat. When she finished, she got an enthusiastic round of applause as she practically skipped back to the bar to her waiting glass of Sprite.

"Hoo-wee, that was fun! Who's up next?"

Edited by Heritage

You'd think we super speed arriving on time would be a given, but Dancia still managed to turn up late to gatherings. It didn't help that she had to stop to a potential automobile accident and the old classic of a cat stuck up the tree. But it was in her civil identity that she entered the bar, something like this was a perfect piece for the paper blog.

"Just an orange juice, please." she smiled at the person at the bar and offered her money "You okay if I ask a few questions around and about? And if so would you like to say what you think about an amazing gathering like this?"

Miracle Girl's performance was just as Yasmin thought it would be. Though really, the song was funny for the setting they were in. Again, Yasmin maybe caught a few words and bopped along with the beat. She really wanted to sing, but hero appreciation night was something for heroes. Still, she wanted to show appreciation. So she walked up to the stage, looked around - no one else was near it - and picked up the mic.

"Hey folks," she waved, "I'm Yasmin. And I'd like to thank every one for coming out tonight. Our heroes deserve it!" She poked around with the machine a bit to find the song she wanted, "On top of the heroes I appreciate tonight," she pointed out the costumed individuals and called a few of them by name for what she knew. "I'm celebrating my birthday with you folks. Twenty-three. Wouldn't have it any other way." She heard 'happy birthday' and few whistles, also 'just sing!'

The song started up, Yasmin did a few small bounces to the intro beat and began singing. She made a little show of it. Encouraging people to clap during the chorus, she got a few to do so! The four minutes was energetic as she could, strutting across the stage, swaying to the beat, dancing around, and generally having a good old time like the song would suggest! The song ended with a drop to her knees, "come on!" she finished the lyrics. Looking around she clapped for the crowd, "thank you too!"

Getting down she went back to her tea. She did have the stamina for the whole thing, but right now she was parched.

Edited by Moira Morley
On 9/14/2017 at 8:46 PM, GamerXZ said:

He noticed the book, "Any songs by Rush on there? I quite enjoy their music."

"Among others, friend... rush seems a bit sad at times, depending on the choice... ohhh yesss... This song is in the system." Torpedo Lass said with a grin. "Seems the new kid's getting the hang of it too." She said leaning on the counter of the bar Gesturing to Miracle Girl... Torpedo Lass moves her finger that was holding her spot in the book over, flipping back to her page and looking up the number for her choice she walks up to the machine entering her number. Seeing the crowd was loosened up as she was nursing her Guinness until the first couple of singers she knew she was going to light things up... or fall flat.

Then again on shore leave hitting some bar near Yokosuka she was notorious for putting on a show. "Better to set sail and sink than stay at the docks..." she whispered.

She walked up on stage and a couple of the more sauced up members of the audience were cheering. She leaned on the mic. "Didn't think you'd have a legit sea-salt on stage eh?" She said with a grin and there were a few chuckles... "Well let me tell ya... you other guys have been a bit serious man... but it's time to weigh anchor, mates! Time for me to show ya how to have a little fun!" She said pumping her fist... the crowd was starting to get lit up.

Then the music kicked in... Her singing was rough war cry, with the bluster of a pirate but the skill of an experienced singer, turning the rare Queen track into a sea shanty and hit the walls of that pub like a hurricane. By the time the song ended with the almost silly song at the end, everyone in the crowd started singing with her. Even after the song ended for at least a minute on the machine everyone reprised it.

"Now yer' part of my crew." She said, her voice slightly growling. Walking back to her spot at the bar to applause and laughs, grinning from ear to ear. She put her feet on an empty stool. "Our man over here might be payin' the bills for the evenin' but when it comes to a proper party, you invite a sailor to the show!"

"Parkside."  He nodded, and then he laughed, "An inauspicious start to my career doing the whole hero-ing thing."

He laughed a little bit, and sipped at his Long Island, and glanced around, before setting the glass back down and resting his hands on his hips, taking in the music.  And talent, or lack thereof.  He was here for social appearances, Amir being one of the more PR savvy heroes, his image carefully constructed.  Showing up here, and drinking, even if the likelihood of getting drunk was impossible.

His imam would be oh so happy later.

Amir applauded when the songs were over, enthusiastic, and such, though he wasn't embarrassing anyone.

Maxie nodded "I shoulda done what you did.  Instead I thought it was a good idea to explode on stage in a carnival that came to town to come out as a hero.  Still not sure if Deardra ever cleared that up and can bring the menagerie back to town."

Max applauded and whistled as each person went to the stage and left some part of themselves up there with them.  Max was fairly certain they never really meant to, but everyone put some part of themselves on stage when they performed in any function, and a little piece of that person always stays behind.  It's not like you're actually being chipped away at, you're just replacing a private part of yourself with the energy and perceptions of the crowd.  At least, that's how Max had always felt.  Max took a large swig of his scotch and turned to Amir again.

"So when you goin' up there?  I bet you sing something soulful like Cross Road Blues."  Max smiled, "You seem the type to really get the dichotomy of this life."

The first thing they told you when you went to Journalism school, well after where to go and when and what the teacher's name was, was that you should never get involved in the story. But right now it was very tempting to get involved in the fun, and as Triakosia she had gotten involved in the story more times than she would like to admit.

But as she was playing the part of a mild-mannered reporter it felt a little unfair to just barge up there and start singing her heart out. Besides she only sung in front of Centurion the Cat and he didn't seem to like her singing, then again he never seemed to like anything except if food was required.

"Does anyone mind I do a song? I mean I know I'm not wearing a costume..."

It was as of that moment a true statement.

• 3 weeks later...

Spitfire turned to the reporter and smiled.

"Mic's open to all ma'am, not just us in our halloween get ups.  You go on up there and make us all regret lending our sorry voices to this shindig.  Afterwards, if ya want, you can interview me.  The answer to the first question you'll ask is yes, I'm always this devastatingly handsome."  Max gave her a little wink and ordered another shot.  He was starting to feel a little looser, now that he was on his third scotch, and as usual his already outgoing personality was heading into "bombastic" or maybe just downright annoying, depending on who you asked.  

"I myself might do one more afore the night is over.  Here's hopin' I don't get all morose and sad before I decide to get up there again.  Nobody likes a downer at karaoke night."