Winifred seemed to relax a little bit into the couch, her most immediate concerns addressed. "That all sounds perfectly sensible. I appreciate the advice along with the opportunity, Ms. Albright." She was suddenly aware of a knot in her shoulders from the tenseness she'd been carrying all day and tried to work it out without being too obvious about it. She slid her sample trays back into the toolbox and out of the way but left the lid open in case her benefactor wished to examine any of them more closely. Returning to her nearly forgotten tea she admitted, "I was concerned that my age would make me difficult to take seriously but I suppose you must have been establishing your company while still attending the Academy. Is that where you and your fiancé met, then?"

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The door to the balcony slid open and shut admitting the gentleman in question, at least one would safely assume so from Alex's brief description.   Sidling through the door quietly as he could manage Mike ducked under the lintel more than tall enough even for his frame, the motion more habit than intention.  His workday uniform of a knit cardigan over dress shirt, in this case sky blue over a deep mustard, topped his relaxed fit khakis and tan loafers, the slight hunch to his posture spoke of a man used to taking up slightly too much space and he adjusted his glasses slightly as he offered a friendly wave to Fred.  "We were neighbors as kids actually."  he answered though he hadn't been in the room when the inquiry had been made.  

Depositing the well used grey backpack he ferried supplies to and from school within on a table he came around the couch to offer his hand,  "Mike Harris at your service young miss." the tall man demurred "You must be Winnifred."  he added warmly, "I hope I'm not interrupting?"  he inquired though clearly the question was aimed at Fred not his fiance.  

Alex beamed at Mike from her seat on the couch, "I formed a psychic bond with him in infancy," she offered cheerfully, with the sort of fondness that hopefully kept the statement from being entirely creepy. Still sitting, she held her hands out, gently pulling the glasses from Mike's nose with a light brush of telekinetic ability. They floated neatly into her palm as she leaned forward to set them on the table. "We both manifested our abilities very early. Its not unheard of for terminus babies. To answer your question, I started forming AEON in my junior year in the dorm room, playing the stock market to get up the starting capital that I needed. I couldn't expand into biomedical technology until after I turned eighteen."

She folded her hands neatly in her lap, the rainbow makeup still sparkling across her features. "I'm glad you got home in time to meet Fred, though. Work go alright?" Alex asked before adding to Fred with clear pride, "Its Mike's first year teaching at Nicholson."

"My word, that's a bit dramatic," Winifred exclaimed. Whether she was referring to Mr. Harris' entrance or Ms. Albright's explanation of how'd they'd met she didn't sound at all like she disapproved. She would have liked to claim that her general apprehension about modern courtship stemmed solely from changing mores but in honesty she hadn't been optimistic about her prospects in her original time period, either. Childhood friends becoming lovers sounded very much like something out of one of the novels she certainly wouldn't have admitted to reading.

Smoothing out a crease in her slacks she gave the new arrival her full attention. "Ah, yes. Winifred Wei, sir. Charmed." She accepted the handshake, noting the care he took despite his hand all but engulfing her own. "I don't imagine you could be considered interrupting in your own home. A productive day shaping young minds, one hopes?"

"She's a bit of an overachiever." Mike confided to Fred with a fond smile aimed at his fiance.  

As the glasses floated away from his face he subconsciously straightened his posture shoulders shifting back from their slump as he ran a hand through his hair straightening the windblown eccentric professor look he'd been briefly sporting.  It was much like looking at another person though his eyes remained kind and he took a step back so as not to crowd their guest or loom too imposingly.  "Well the demonstration clearly has gone well."  he complimented them both on the new look and took in the rainbow eyeshadow on display with a wry smile.  "An excellent choice, Ms. Wei."  he acknowledged with a low laugh, "That is sure to end up on display at the next AEON press conference."  

A few long strides carried him to the kitchen where he poured himself a tall glass of milk, "Very well."  He answered to their questions after his workday, "Will drew a lovely forest."  he offered meaningfully to Alex, young William Sanford usually had art of a slightly darker bent due to some familial tragedy shortly before he began at Nicholson.  He took a long drink and turned to rinse the glass, "I prefer to think of it as enabling their explorations than shaping but very fulfilling day indeed thank you."  he replied to Fred as well.

"Absolutely," Alex agreed with a grin in return at Mike's assessment, "Any day that I can get away with rainbows at a professional conference is a good day and if I can use my dubious fame to launch Fred's line, I absolutely will though I think it would be better if I could find a few influencers. I'm more of an oddity than a trend setter in the social media world, thank goodness." She smiled at Fred then, "If I could get away without the fame, I absolutely would. While useful, its not something that I find personally fulfilling. Like you, I have an ends to which this business is a means but I think Mike's route of finding personal fulfillment in his profession is a wiser route. He is often much more happy with his day than I ever am with mine."

Alex gave a little shrug of her shoulders as she went to head towards the kitchen, "Why don't you join us, Mike. I'll refresh the tea and get another cup." If it had been just Alex and Mike, no doubt things would have whizzed through the air like a scene out of Disney movie but, in deference to her guest, Alex stood up to collect the tray and head towards the kitchen, "I wish Nicholson had been a thing that existed when we were children. It's a new addition to the city, Fred. Before its founding, there wasn't an elementary school for the uniquely gifted in Freedom City." She commented, a light touch on Mike's thoughts suggesting that opening up about his issues in their youth might not be the worst of ideas as she headed for the neat kitchen. 

Their guest did a subtle double take as the change in posture made Mr. Harris abruptly more imposing but ingrained composure carried her through. Between the wholesome glass of milk and the way he spoke about the children Winifred briefly wondered if he was putting her on but it seemed wholly genuine. She was reminded vaguely of a more confident, masculine version of Cathy and that was certainly an image.

She'd been about to make her excuses but then what sort of Englishwoman would she have been to leave with a fresh pot of tea on the way? Besides, the pair piqued her curiosity. "I know I'm quite grateful for the Academy's existence. I don't get the impression that any other facilities capable of dealing with my condition would be quite so palatable."

Sticking the glass in the dishwasher he paused eyes slightly unfocused for a moment and nodded as if to himself.  "Of course."  he replied aloud to Alexs suggestion and stepped back into the spacious living room and moved aside a mound of pillows from one corner of the couch before gently settling himself in arm up on one armrest, the pillows had left a comfortable amount of space for most people but it was clear now the furniture had been sized with his specifications in mind and fit him well.  He nodded thoughtfully for a long moment at Freds words, "Yes, the alternatives for those who might present a risk to others is not the most pleasant."  he agreed solemnly, "Though better than nothing."  

"Our abilities manifested young."  he clarified, "The government and Star labs had a keen interest in those like us."  he acknowledged with some care, "But it was not a situation that would as you say, Productively shape young minds."  it had been a mix of prison and laboratory after all.  "My control was unrefined, and such power at the command of a temperamental child was, problematic."  he acknowledged with only mild discomfort, "I am lucky, no one was ever seriously injured by my lack of control."  he glanced to Alex for a moment, "And even more lucky to have had time to fully master myself."  

Looking back to fed he added reassuringly, "They had only my and others best interests at heart of course."  he was sure to clarify, "But in the aftermath of the invasion tensions ran high, you are much better off at the Academy than the alternatives indeed."

"We were together, though," Alex commented to Mike, from her position in the kitchen. It held the air of something that Alex had said many times. She smiled over her shoulder at Fred, "And though travel was curtailed, we weren't separated from our parents and families. We went home at the end of the day generally speaking. They didn't really know what to do with our kind of meta human. There was a large portion that thought we were just one more terminus weapon waiting to be unleashed." Alex shrugged and turned back to the tea tray, "There's a not insignificant portion who still hold those concerns honestly."

It was matter of fact, although it certainly hadn't been pleasant for Alex as a child to be exposed to the thoughts and worries of their handlers. Their fear had been as tangible to Alex as the faint scent of steeping tea and more pervasive. 

"Mhm. As the daughter of Chinese immigrants to London I am not unfamiliar with that aspect of humanity," Winifred drawled, sipping her tea sedately. She spent a moment trying to imagine the pair as small children, tossing things about by muscle or mind before mulling over some of what Mr. Harris had said. "I must admit I envy that hard won control. I come by my condition less honestly, of course so I'm sure it's a rather different affair but I cannot truly imagine taming the Alkahest to the point of having any of this." She gestured about the apartment with her free hand, encompassing the open space along with the thousand little tableaus of domesticity. A bit of colour rose to her cheeks as her words caught up to her and she quickly added, "Ah, my apologies. I don't mean to sound as though I'm complaining."

"Oh certainly."  Mike agreed with a smile for his diminutive partner.  "It could have been far worse."  he admitted with a slow and careful shrug.  He listened thoughtfully to Fred response and nodded, "Well I can't claim to fully understand your gifts."  he acknowledged with care, "But control is in some ways the lesser part."  he offered carefully.

He looked to Alex for a moment and let out a measured breath as he considered his words with much the same care he took in his movements.  "In the end it is a balancing act of action and consequence."  Mike explained earnestly, "In my case I need only weigh the risks of harm by taking action, against those of not."  He raised his teacup to his lips his hand dwarfing the delicate cup.  "Once you know what you risk with your action you can concentrate on minimizing those risks yes?"  he inquired to see if she followed.  "And see how that stacks against the alternative."  he looked gently to meet fred gaze though only briefly, "What do you want and what do you fear it might cost you?"

"I think a little complaining is fair. It's okay to be upset at things that have been lost or sacrificed. The world is not a fair place." Alex commented as she finished replacing the tea and brought it back over to the coffee table. She settled in on the couch, comfortably close to her partner without leaning against him. Her tea cup levitated into her hand, "And you're not alone to have those fears. When Mike was your age, he also thought that this wouldn't be his life. He was afraid of what he could do - what he might do to me specifically."

Alex's side long smile was affectionate and gently teasing, "And he wrote some truly stellar poetry about it, I might add."

Scowl hidden behind her teacup, Winifred had been formulating an appropriately cutting rebuttal to the categorization of her condition as a 'gift' but instead choked on her drink at the thought of a teenaged Mr. Harris picking up the quill rather than risk breaking his lady love in twain. "Aha, w-well!" she stammered, blush deepening well past her foundation's ability to conceal. "That seems like a perfectly good... outlet. Um." Head ducking between her shoulders the young woman practically folded in upon herself. "I've been learning to play the bass guitar, personally." She may have had ulterior motives for that as well but then she'd always been efficient.

Cheeks still dark she cleared her throat and set aside her empty cup. "This is somewhat personal but most people seem to intuit anyway that my episodes are triggered by increased heart rate, epinephrine production, certain other chemical changes. In practice that would mean fear, anger, anxiety but also potentially, ah... excitement, in conjunction with physical exertion, perhaps." She folded her hands in her lap then unfolded and placed them by her sides, fidgeting. "This obviously wasn't a conversation you intended to have when you agreed to our meeting, Ms. Albright. I, ah, I should..." Winifred buried her face in one hand, inwardly reciting elements and their properties to slow her breathing and centre herself.

At Freds frown Mike glanced uncertainly to Alex, I think I missed something.  "Well poetry might be insult to the craft."  Mike replied with a small smile, "And if I am honest it was more wallowing than outlet." 

Mike shook his head at the slight deluge of concerns from Fred though his smile was kind, "Nothing of the sort."  he assured her, "I suppose Alex repeated her tired explanation about not upsetting the CFO but she truly delights in making the poor man sweat."  he assured their guest and carefully lowered his cup to the tray, "If she invited you here it was not as a purely business meeting."  he nodded considering the matter settled with that.  "As for your,"  he paused and looked between the two women, "episodes."  he shrugged, "I admit I don't know the details but it sounds as if you don't either?"

Settling back into the couch he offered a small shrug, "Now you're clearly more scientist than I'll ever be but I imagine the first step would be confirming what triggers your,"  he glanced to Alex questioningly, "Episodes?"  Looking back to Fred he added, "In a controlled environment of course."

Absently, Alex patted Mike's thigh at his patented 'telepathy face'. At least his lips didn't move anymore. Most of the time. Her other form is much more id; not in her conscious control. Alex's explanation was succinct but layered with memories and intonations that gave far more than mere words would have. Without pausing or missing a beat - she was much better at multitasking than her partner - she continued the the conversation, "I'm happy to answer any and all questions. I don't embarrass easily at all and you're safe here, Fred. If you can't keep calm, I'm more than capable of projecting emotions to help and even if you did transform, you'd not do more than break a few dishes. Mike's one of the few people who could handle your alter-ego in full rage, so you're always welcome to stop by if you have questions or concerns."

She gave a little one shouldered shrug at Mike's commentary, "Well, I'd have to do some studies but from what I understand, its like any sort of adrenal situation; even if the physical symptoms didn't trigger a transformation, the fear and anxiety of transformation could be enough of a contributing factor but that doesn't mean that its something you couldn't work around even if you never managed to fully the control the Alkahest, Fred. You just might need a bit more unique protection for safe sexual intercourse than your average teenage girl." She waved one hand absently, "A pair of discrete nullification bands could probably be worked up to allow you to enjoy physical encounters without having to be stressed about alternatives as you work to master control of the transformation." 

With a strangled noise from the back of her throat Winifred brought her other hand up to her face as well shoving her head down against her knees. Her face was burning with embarrassment and she could feel tears welling up in the corners of her eyes despite her best efforts. She had thought she was much better prepared to have this sort of conversation than she evidently was, a detached part of her observed while the rest concentrated on steady breathing. She didn't think an actual transformation was imminent but she wouldn't have been adverse to the building splitting open to swallow her up, either. How shallow and base her hosts must think her, but then how childish to be unable to speak matter-of-factly.

In a very quiet, carefully modulated voice with her face still in her lap she managed, "I appreciate your candour and willingness to discuss this with me but I was born in 1839 and I think I am going to need a moment."

Mike stared agape at Alex for a long moment a deep blush rising in his cheeks at Alex's swift cut to the heart of the matter, "Oh I'm sure that's not what,"  he trailed off as he saw Freds reaction and glanced to Alex knowing full well that while hte psychic sometimes cut through the polite small talk with uncomfortable alacrity rarely was she actually incorrect about what was on a person's mind even if she didn't actually check.

Glancing down he collected his thoughts, "Ah well then."  he answered somewhat stiltedly as he sought the right words.  "I can go if that...?"  he offered vaguely though in all honesty unless things had changed a great deal from his time at Claremont she'd need to have a certain comfort with the subject in mixed company or face a great deal of ridicule.   He nodded slowly to Freds request, "Of course, whenever you are recovered."  Glancing to Alex briefly once more he let the silence settle for a few moments before he spoke again once Fred seemed somewhat recovered.

He tried to radiate calm without the condescension of full kindergarten teacher voice, "Well, there are ways to stimulate the physiological response."  he pointed out with care, "Or at least the elevated heart rate and adrenal response."  he was careful to correct blushing once more at his accidental insinuation.  "Ahh that is to say I'm certain the specifics of your condition being triggered could be measured and risks of assorted behaviors modeled on that."  He frowned slightly, "The point is Winifred, that you certainly deserve all that you want out of your life and should not assume your condition obligates you to give that up any more than anyone else's situation."

Alex tsked at Mike's suggestion that he beat a hasty retreat, giving him a small, scolding shake of her head. Her voice was kind as she turned her attention to Fred, "I don't mean to embarrass you at all. We're both scientists though, and its a scientific subject, isn't it? It's a matter of physical and hormonal responses that everyone is capable of to one degree or another and most people are interested in engaging in at some point in their life. Not everyone, though, there are those who identify as asexual but the vast majority of humanity fall somewhere on a spectrum of interested party."

The last caveat was said with a little nod towards Mike as if acknowledging his particular identity. "Which is not to minimize your condition and say you are capable of 'normalcy' for whatever that particular term might mean. You are going to have a unique and singular life, I imagine, but I wouldn't assume that anything is permanently out of your reach if its something that's worth working towards." Alex shrugged and added, "And its not silly for something like an intimate relationship to be on your list of 'willing to work hard for'. You won't find any mockery or judgment here."

"Nnnnngh..." Winifred made a quiet murmur as she scrubbed her face with the heels of her palms and willed herself to sit upright. Her face and eyes were still noticeably red but clasped her hands in her lap and set her jaw resolutely. "Scientific, yes. I, ah, excuse my outburst." The teenager was clearly having some trouble meeting either of their eyes, staring rather intently at the plate of biscuits. "I don't mean to be... prudish. People don't tend to turn my head simply walking down the street, is all. I do like to look good, put together and I when others can as well," she stumbled through her train of thought, nodding toward the still open toolbox of sample cosmetics, "but I don't seem to think if those terms as much as other people do."

She ducked her head again, blush returning in full effect. "There are - sometimes - people I'm close to who... who I might like to be closer to, however. I'm not opposed to... certain acts. As such." She wanted to be able to hold hands, to kiss, to wake up next to her partner, to demonstrate her feelings. Squirming a bit on the couch she lifted her chin finally. "It would not be safe for them, however even if they were inclined to take that risk. At the risk of being dramatic, witnessing my 'alter ego' as you say would be enough to silence the most arduous of amorous intent, I imagine."

"Some people just need to work a little harder for it."  Mike replied with a small glance to Alex, who clearly had the patience of a saint waiting for him to work out his own sexuality.  "Not all burdens are equal but they don't need to born alone."  he offered in agreement with his fiance.

"Prudish would be repression of desire not absence."  Mike corrected lightly with a small smile, clearly an issue he himself had struggled with to a degree.  "It can be difficult to understand the drives of others when you don't share them."  he offered as possible explanation of her conflicting feelings.  "As for safety and their arduous intent, or your transformations effect on it,"  Mike states flatly, "I would counter that it is not really your decision to make is it?"

He shrugged and let out a small sigh, "Now I understand better than most the fear of hurting someone, someone you care for particularly."  he assured the young woman careful to keep his voice even and non-judgmental his posture a relaxed but not imposing confidence.  "I will point out your responsability is to minimize the risks and inform your friends and loved ones of what risks remain whatever you may be doing."  he left the details vague as much as favor to Fred as himself.  "But really if they want more denying them because of your fears is selfish and cruel."

"It might for some but your friends are no more 'normal', I imagine, than you, yourself are. They're cognizant of the risks inherent if they're willing to engage in romantic activities," Alex said with a small smile, her hand finding Mike's as if sensing his mute discomfort with the topic at hand and going to soothe it even as the bulk of her attention remained on Fred. "Despite what modern media presents, there's a wide spectrum of acts that can be engaged in other than penis-in-vagina sex, if your interests run in a heterosexual bent and more sapphic interests don't actually preclude that particular interest. Your largest hurdle, I think, isn't going to be the Alkahest directly, but finding the words and comfort to have genuine honest conversations with your prospective partner, or partners. That's really the fundamental part of romance and everything else is a part of a conversation that you both choose to engage in; a conversation that's no one's business outside of those you welcome to it."

Alex gave another little shrug of her shoulders. "That part is scary for everyone and likely more difficult for you than many as your culture is well outside of what your peers are used to thus the inevitable communication barriers."

"I think I may need more tea for this," Winifred mumbled, lifting a hand to massage her temple. "I appreciate the line of logic in principle I remain confident any hypothetical infatuation is one-sided." Despite what certain talking hounds might like to cheekily imply she was sure she would know if that wasn't the case. "Which is not an issue, really. I have no expectations to the contrary. Dramatic declarations would just place everyone in an uncomfortable position, which seems selfish. I just mean that I would like to be... prepared. In case."

Clearing her throat quickly, she drew herself up a bit. "And I'll have you know I'm perfectly familiar with the concept of women lying together. Th-that is-- not familiar, only-- I have friends who are lesbians. Or bisexuals. My understanding is there are several variations, I am realizing now that I'm not sure how each of them categorizes herself for certain. W-which may be off topic." She'd done a fair amount of research early on in her time at the Academy in an effort to avoid a faux pas but she had to admit there were some glaring holes in her knowledge all the same. "If... if I'm being entirely honest," she added haltingly, "it doesn't make much difference to me. Men or women, that is. As a girl I assumed it was just a matter of admiration, however... well. I... haven't actually said that out loud before now." The time-displaced Victorian let out a long, ragged breath and stared at the wall.

Soothed somewhat by the touch Mike still tensed at the rather frank discussion of the issues at hand from his fiance, not that he'd really expect any different from her, or have it any other way really.  "Well I think the point is that whatever you do desire in a companion romantic or,"  he paused and shrugged to add, "otherwise," not having an inoffensive word to encompass the potential for a more casual relationship, "you shouldn't consider your condition an exclusion.  Just another complication."  he smiled, "It may be harder to work around than not being able to stand sushi but in the grand scheme."  he shrugged noncommittally, love was after all worth pursuing even if fleeting.

Mike couldn't help but smirk slightly at her self effacing if likely delusional conclusion, "I doubt it is as one sided as you might think."  he suggested gently, "I admit a certain dearth of experience when it comes to such things but I did make enough a fool of myself in my youth to know that when a person isn't interested it is pretty clear."  He shrugged slightly however not pushing the issue.  She was hardly the first teen girl to be convinced she was undesirable despite whatever evidence to the contrary and that was hardly going to be helped by him arguing the validity of her opinion.  "It's difficult for those raised among such terminology to keep the variations straight."  he admitted than frowned, "Not a good choice of words."  the big man acknowledged with a sigh and looked pleadingly to Alex as he was certain he was ruining this now.

"Words change, people's self definitions change, none of it changes who you are," Alex said, giving Mike's hand a gentle squeeze. "And at eighteen, its just something most people are really starting to figure out for themselves. In that, you have a great deal in common with your peers. Its what your late teens and early twenties is for; learning who you are as a person, what you want from your life and what matters most to you. Its an exciting time."

Alex spoke like the time was well in her past, despite the fact that she was maybe four or five years older than Fred herself but her hazel eyes were, not quite old; more that they were somehow ageless. "You might find adding some social sciences and anthropology to your curriculum for the year benefits you. The years between when you arrived and now are formative and there was a great deal more to the adult society of your era than you were aware of upon leaving it due to your age. You might find some comfort in knowing more about it; uncomfortable though the learning might be. Personally, I would always rather know than not know. I think we have that in common, but its just a suggestion." 

Winifred's eyes focused back on her hosts long enough to eloquently communicate that while she appreciated their optimism she was, in fact, quite sure of her 'chances' or lack thereof. She let out a long sigh and tried to map out how she had possibly ended up having this conversation, particularly with a couple she did not know particularly well. She supposed she'd been keeping those feelings bottled up long enough that it hadn't taken much of an excuse to let them out. Between them Ms. Albright and Mr. Harris were at least better equipped to understand where she was coming from than anyone else she might have confided in.

"It might do to broaden my academic horizons, I suppose," she conceded, looking a little drained compared to when she'd arrived for the meeting. "Still, I don't know that you fully appreciate the degree to which my condition renders all of this largely moot." The look on Raina's face any time she so much as raised her voice in argument flashed before her eyes, along with Fang's well meaning but genuinely disturbing assurances that Matthew couldn't be permanently injured. "The Academy experimented with 'power dampeners' almost as soon as I arrived there. They were unable to fashion one with sufficient power than was also portable and the longer I spent in one of the containment cells the worse the following episode proved to be afterward."