Professor Peculiar (PL 10) - Tipop

Tipop

Player Name: Tipop
Character Name: Professor Peculiar
Power Level: 10 (150/150PP)
Trade-Offs: None
Unspent Power Points: 0
In Brief: A brilliant scientist from an alternate Earth dimension where their "science" is our "magic" and visa versa. An experienced dimension-traveler who has developed a soft spot for the weak and downtrodden. Has now chosen this Earth as his home.

Residence: In an apartment above his magical bookstore-slash-library
Base of Operations: Same

Catchphrase: "By the Hoary Hosts of Hogg- ooh, is that saltwater taffy?"

Alternate Identity: Edward Peck
Identity: Public
Birthplace: New London, California (Earth-333)
Occupation: Book seller / librarian, professor of arcane studies
Affiliations: (No idea)
Family: While he has no family in this world, he comes from a large family on his home world. None of his family members are scientists, though most of them are intellectuals of one sort or another.

Description:
Apparent Age: Looks a bit older due to the bald head
Ethnicity: Caucasian
Height: 5'-11"
Weight: 160 lbs
Eyes: Black
Hair: Bald head, black van dyke beard graying at the edges

The Professor generally wears his enchanted white lab coat (with runes woven into the edges), along with his mithril-laced rubber gloves and black boots. His eyes are almost always covered with his enchanted/prescription blast goggles, though he has regular glasses he can wear as well.

Power Descriptions:

In this world, Edward Peck is considered a sorcerer. His incantations are unusual, however, in that they are strange mathematical equations that make no sense. Where other sorcerers might call upon ancient entities and arcane forces, Edward refers to theorems by the great mathematicians of his home, Escher, Geiger, etc.

Visually, his powers manifest as a weird warping of reality, of things not being quite what they appear to be. A typical damaging attack spell might cause the target to bend and twist as though viewed through a funhouse mirror, with a side effect of the ground bucking and waving like water. (These effects are reversible.)

History:

Edward Peck was born on Earth-333, a world where humanity developed magic rather than science. The concepts of cellular towers, electronic computers, and internal combustion engines would all sound crazy there. Technology has not progressed much beyond the plow. What we consider magic, they call science (which caused no end of linguistic confusion for Ed when he came to our world.)

Edward was a renowned scientist back home, and won numerous awards and accolades from his peers. However, his experiments in dimensional travel — a forbidden field of study after the interdimensional wars of 1914 and 1939 — made him an outcast when he was discovered exchanging research with a fellow scientist from another world. Rather than be imprisoned, he fled his homeworld and began a career of exploration and learning.

Despite the xenophobic teachings of his home world, Edward learned that most people throughout the multiverse were essentially the same. People were good and bad anywhere you go. He also discovered that the science of his home world made him a figure of considerable power in most places, and he learned to use that power to help other races and species wherever he could.

He was not always successful. His efforts to help the rabbit-like inhabitants of Borough against the Warlord of the Nine Spheres ended with the near-annihilation of  their species. Edward managed to escape with a few survivors, one of which is now his assistant/student (minion feat), Gingrin.

He (and the surviving Borough-folk) have settled on our Earth for a variety of reasons. The Borough-folk have acclimated well, and due to their resemblance to anthropomorphic rabbits have found easy acceptance among humanity. Edward has taken on the role of protector of the people, using an alias "Professor Peculiar", as is the local custom. The fact that the consumption of sugary sweets are not only accepted but ENCOURAGED on this world is just icing on the cake (a phrase Edward loves.)

Personality & Motivation:

Edward Peck, a.k.a. Professor Peculiar, is something of a cross between Doctor Strange and the Doctor (of Doctor Who), with a sprinkling of mad scientist thrown in for flavor. He tries to present himself as a cold scientist, but in reality he adores children, sympathizes with the downtrodden, respects all life, and rails against cruelty and selfishness.

Powers & Tactics:

His Coat of Aeromancy (a magic lab coat) provides him with levitation and protection. The coat is sentient, and is capable of independent action, but the Professor loses the protection of the coat when this happens.

His Eldritch Blast Goggles offer him a variety of magical senses, and have corrective lenses for his poor vision.

His Spells are an array of typical magical abilities.

Over the course of his adventures in numerous dimensions he's picked up the knack of speaking any tongue... he can communicate with just about any living being without casting a spell.

Complications:

Square Root of Abra Cadabra: To cast his spells, Professor Peculiar needs his hands free and must recite the proper mathematical formulae. If he is restrained and/or unable to speak, he cannot cast spells. (Power Loss complication)

The Amazing Mister Magoo: The Professor has extremely poor eyesight without prescription lenses. (Disability complication)

Is That Saltwater Taffy?: The Professor is addicted to candy. In the world he comes from there is a social stigma associated with eating sweets — it's considered deviant behavior. That's one of the reasons he's chosen our Earth as his new home. They're so delightfully perverted here they even let CHILDREN eat candy! (Addiction complication)

Wascally Wabbit: The Professor has an assistant-slash-apprentice named Gingrin, one of the rabbit-like Borough-folk he rescued from the Warlord of the Nine Spheres. Gingrin lost his home, his wife, and his children, and the Professor feels responsible for it all. Despite their master/apprentice relationship, he would die to protect Gingrin. (Relationship complication)

Abilities: -4 + 0 + 4 + 14 + 6 + 0 = 20PP
Strength: 6 (-2) [-4 pts]
Dexterity: 10 (+0)
Constitution: 14 (+2) [4 pts]
Intelligence: 24 (+7) [14 pts]
Wisdom: 16 (+3) [6 pts]
Charisma: 10 (+0) [0 pts]

Combat: 4 + 5 = 9PP
Initiative: +0
Attack: +0 Melee, +4 Ranged [4 pts]
Grapple: +0
Defense: +15 (+5 Base, +10 Dodge Focus), +2 Flat-Footed [5 pts]
Knockback: -0

Saving Throws: 10 + 15 + 10 = 35PP
Toughness: +10 (+2 Con, +8 [Defensive Roll from Coat of Aeromancy])
Fortitude: +12 (+2 Con, +10)
Reflex: +15 (+0 Dex, +15)
Will: +13 (+3 Wis, +10)

Skills: 52R = 13PP

Gather Information 12 (+19) Skill Mastery

Knowledge (Arcane Lore) 12 (+19) Skill Mastery

Investigation 8 (+15) Skill Mastery

Notice 12 (+17) Skill Mastery

Search 8 (+11)

Feats: 6PP
Ritualist

Benefit: Wealth -1
Eidetic Memory

Well-Informed

Skill Mastery (Gather Information, Expertise: Magic, Investigation, Notice)

Minion, Gingrin (apprentice) - 1

Powers: 21 + 8 + 12 + 33 = 57PP

Device - rank 5 (Coat of Aeromancy - magical lab coat, 25 PP Container) [20 pts]

The wearer of the fabled Coat of Aeromancy gains more than just amazing flying capabilities. He also gains a valuable ally, and even more, a friend.

·         Defensive Roll, Rank 4 [4 pts]

·         Dodge Focus, Rank 10 [10 pts]

·         Flight, Rank 2, Subtle [5 pts]

·         Favored Environment, Levitating [1 pt]

·         Evasion, Rank 2 [2 pts]

·         Move-By-Action [1 pt]

·         Uncanny Dodge [1 pt]

·         Danger Sense [1 pt]

·         Alternate Power of Enchanted Lab Coat [1 pt]

·         Sidekick, Rank 20 Name: Aero

Device - Rank 2 (Eldritch Blast Goggles, 10 PP Container) [ 8 pts]

The lenses of the Eldritch Goggles are made from the petrified corneas of Ftha'gogh the Elder. The frames are by Ralph Lauren.

·         Variable, Rank 2 (Single trait of a particular type, super-senses) 10 pts

Variable - Rank 2 "Principle Theorems "

These fundamental principles are the basis of all arcane science.

·         (Multiple traits of a single descriptor "Minor magical effects") [12 pts]

Array - "Grand Theorems" [26 pts total]

First created by the Grand Masters of Quantum Invocation, these are forces that only the most erudite are permitted to study.

·         Eldritch Blast, Rank 7 - Damage, Ranged, Burst Area, Variable Descriptor (any elemental energy), Triggered [23 pts]

·         Eldritch Lance, Rank 10 - Damage, Ranged, Variable Descriptor (any elemental energy), Accurate-3, Reversible, Precise  [1 pt]

·         Uncanny Eldritch Missile, Rank 8 - Damage, Perception Range, Variable Descriptor (any elemental energy)  [1 pt]

·         Shape Eldritch Energy, Create Object, Rank 8, Movable, Tether, Precise  [1 pt]

Drawbacks: (-0) + (-0) = -0PP

DC Block

ATTACK              RANGE      SAVE                           EFFECT
Unarmed             Touch      DC 15 Toughness                Damage (Physical)

Elemental Bolt      Ranged     DC 25 Toughness                Damage (Variable)

Totals: Abilities (20) + Combat (9) + Saving Throws (35) + Skills (13) + Feats (6) + Powers (67) - Drawbacks (0) = 150/150 Power Points

Note that I have not yet detailed the Sidekick aspect of the Coat, nor his apprentice/minion. I honestly don't expect to actually USE the minion for anything except RP... it's mostly just flavor and to have someone to run the book store/library for me.

commision_2_by_tazvair-dbhqoem.png

Edited by Tipop
Formatting, plus math is hard

I just noticed that one of the Power Feats I used is from 3rd edition, Variable Descriptor. I don't think it exists in 2e. I hope it's not an issue, but if it is I can remove it easily enough. It's only 1 point.

Edited by Tipop
Formatting

Ok, I did my "20 Questions". Let's hope I get the formatting right on the first try:

"Hi, this is Voyeur — on the scene and looking clean — here to educate and elaborate on all things superhero."

"As most of you who watch my feed already know, the city has a new hero on the street. He showed up a few weeks ago with some rabbit-like refugees from another world in tow. These refugees have been given asylum and are quickly turning into something of a tourist attraction. Borough-made handicrafts are selling like hotcakes — if hotcakes were worth thousands of dollars on Etsy and Ebay!"

"But that's not why were coming to you live right now. I have here the new hero, and he's agreed to speak with your Voyeur. Let's give him the Twenty, shall we?"

[The camera focuses on the new hero. He is of moderate height, with a smooth, bald pate and a van dyke beard. Expensive-looking blast goggles with red lenses completely obscure his eyes. He wears a white lab coat with indecipherable writing sewn along the edges, and oversized black gloves.]

1.       So what do we call you?

Well, my given name is Edward Peck... but I understand that it's traditional for champions of this world to take unique monikers that can refer to their power source, their appearance, or even simply an etymological similarity to their name. I have chosen Professor Peculiar, for reasons I consider obvious.

2.       Woah, you don't mind sharing your real name? We're live, you know.

It doesn't matter greatly. You're unlikely to find me among your clever networked machines, as I am from, ah, elsewhere.

3.       So where are you from, then?

I am from another dimension, much like this one in many ways but very different in others. On my Earth, for example, we developed the science of Arcana, where your people focused on the science of Physics.  To us, magic was simply how things were done, and these clever machines your people developed never happened. There I was a respected scientist, but our science is your magic.

4.       What brought you here?

I lead the Borough-folk here from their world... I sought a world where they would fit in, or at least be accepted. Your people seem to have an almost instinctual affection for the Borough-folk, due to their strong physical similarity to "rabbits".

Another reason I love this world... your candy!

[Peculiar grins at this point and takes a lollipop from his coat pocket, unwraps it, and sticks it into his mouth. It's an incongruous sight, as he looks like a stereotypical mad scientist but with a lollipop stick jutting from his lips.]

5.       Our candy? Don't you have candy where you're from?

Oh certainly... but one would have to go to certain disreputable parts of town to acquire it, and the expense! It's an illicit activity, you see, and viewed as deviant behavior. Yet on your world it's seen as completely innocent. You even allow CHILDREN to eat it! I love it here!

6.       So how would you describe yourself? Are you a hero?

I am a man of science, first and foremost. I study our multiverse to better understand our place within it. Yet sometimes one cannot simply observe, and must take a hand. When you see the weak suffering under the boot heel of an oppressor, or a child crying due to a lack of food, who could stand back and do nothing? It doesn't take heroism to do these things, it just takes a conscience.

7.       What would you say is your greatest strength? Your greatest weakness?

That sounds like two questions in one, Rich. However, I must say my greatest strength is my unwillingness to give up. You'd be amazed at what you can achieve if you're unwilling to settle for anything but success.

As for my greatest weakness? Ah...

[Peculiar purses his lips a moment]

... my unwillingness to give up. I could have saved so many more people if I'd accepted that I couldn't save them all.

8.       What do you love? What do you hate?

I love a well-made crossword puzzle. I love the feeling you get when you change someone, not with force but with logic. I love seeing the world become a better place than it was.

What do I hate? [Peculiar chuckles] I hate black licorice.

9.       What is your greatest ambition?

I think I would like to understand. Yes. I would like to understand everything. That's not too much to ask, is it?

10.   Do you have any prejudices? How do you get along with others?

I try not to judge anyone before I understand them... but of course, that's the trick, isn't it? Can you ever really understand anyone? No no no, you can't judge people, really, but you can judge ACTIONS.

As for getting along with others... entirely overrated in my opinion.

11.   Where do your loyalties lie? In what order?

Oh, I'm not a fan of allegiances. All that swearing oaths and solemn vows. That just gets you stuck into rigid thinking, it does. No, I'd rather just do what's right and damn the flags and songs and whatnot.

12.   Do you have a family? What's the relationship there like?

I have a family, I do. Not that I've seen any of them in a good many years. I imagine they're all doing quite well for themselves. We're an intellectual lot, my family. Writers, philosophers, teachers, even a space explorer or two, though I think I've got that lot beat by now. I was the only one to go into pure science, though.

We used to stay in touch, back before I left home. The occasional letter, how are you, that sort of thing. We even suffered through the dreaded family gathering, though rarely. Mother never saw the need, really, and Father couldn't be dragged away from his workbench. Always a competition, it was, to see who had achieved the most.

13.   Why did you leave your home world? Not enough candy?

Hah. No, it was more serious than that. I... ah... I dabbled in forbidden science. More than dabbled, really, I explored it, mapped it out, planted flags, built a summer home in forbidden science.

You see, my home world developed dimensional science around the same time your clever tinkerers invented the telegraph. We thought we were so clever. We learned to open doors to other universes, never considering the dangers. We sent out flares into the night of the cosmos, inviting others to come visit. Come they did. Our world was nearly destroyed in two massive wars that reshaped the continents. We only just survived.

Naturally, all research into dimensional science was outlawed. Treaties were signed, oaths were sworn. The barrier between our world and the rest was strengthened, to prevent further incursions. My people feared the Great Beyond, and had firmly shut the door.

Then I came along and decided I knew better, didn't I? I wasn't even alive during the horrors of the dimensional wars, though I'd read about them well enough. They were so terrified of life from other dimensions, so convinced that everyone else out there was pure evil, I just knew it couldn't be true.

When I published my research, I showed them that I had made contact with GOOD people out there... that there were entire worlds that had never known any sort of war, that lacked a word for it in their language! No one listened. I was set to be imprisoned for life, forbidden to practice science, my portals sealed forever.

[Peculiar pauses, apparently lost in thought]

14.   So what happened?

HAH! That's a separate question! You thought I'd forgotten that two-fer you snuck in earlier, didn't ya?

I escaped, of course. They hadn't studied dimensional science, remember? They had no way to stop me. I left and, well... I haven't been back since.

15.   Alright, Professor. Let's switch to a different subject, though I suspect I already know the answer. How spiritual are you? Do you follow any religious practices?

Am I spiritual? I'd say so, yeah. I've seen a lot in my travels through the dimensions, and one thing I've come to understand is that the religions? THEY'RE ALL TRUE.

16.   All of them? Even the ones that directly contradict each other?

Especially those.

I don't understand.

I don't think we're meant to.

17. I'm not counting that last one as a question, Professor. Tell me what you fear the most.

I'm afraid we'll never reach the end of these question, Rich.

I'm waiting for a serious answer.

Very well. My biggest fear... I'm afraid that the hateful bastard with a speech impediment  that nearly wiped out the Borough-folk may find out he didn't quite get them all.

18.   You mean some extra-dimensional warlord might come to our world to finish off what he started?

It's a remote possibility. Very, exceedingly remote. I doubt it. Unlikely. Probably not. 50/50 chance at best.

That's the other reason I've settled here. To keep an eye on the people whose world I failed to save. One of the reasons I chose this world is because it has so many wondrous defenders. If he ever comes here, I won't be standing alone to stop him.

19.   That's disturbing. Have you chosen a team to stand beside you when/if that time comes?

Not yet. As you know, I'm still new here and I'm still learning who the other heroes are and what groups they have already formed. When I figure it out, I'll let you know.

20.   Ok, last question Professor: Are you married, or have some kind of life partner?

[Peculiar grows quiet for a moment]

Professor?

"No more questions. We're done."

I'm almost certain that the refs won't allow you to place Sidekick into an array. That being said, I don't think you need to stat up the cloak or his assistant as separate NPCs. Unless they're going to be following along in fights and making their own actions, such a thing can probably live in Complications and story.

Have you seen the Doctor Strange movie? I was trying to simulate the Cloak of Levitation as depicted there. The cloak can go off on its own and fight enemies while Strange does other things. While doing so, of course, Strange loses access to the cloak's powers. That's the sort of thing alternate powers are meant to represent.

Edited by Tipop

what you want is summon (minion), probably with the heroic extra and the fanatical extra (or not, bwahahaha >:D )

It can certainly work as an alternate power to a container, the cape probably won't be a device, unless someone else can tame it by merely wearing it, but yeah. When you WEAR the cape, it is a container that grants you stuff like flying, evasion, etc. When you DON'T WEAR it, it functions like a heroic minion (so basically a sidekick), but only as long as you sustain the power.

another poster on this site, Supercape, had a PC, Pitch, who basically was fused with a demon that granted her a number of enhanced superpowers, but said demon could be summoned and act as a minion instead. That's the same deal with what you want to go for here, in spirit.

So, to summarize, you're looking for something like this:

Coat of Aeromancy 12.5 (25 PP Array; Feats: Alternate Power) [25 pts]

• Base Power: Enhanced Feats (Defensive Roll 4, Dodge Focus 10, Favored Environment[Levitating], Evasion 2, Move-By Action, Uncanny Dodge, Danger Sense) + Flight 2 (25mph/250ft per Move Action; Feats: Subtle) [20 + 5 = 25PP] (Wearable Enchantment)
  • Alternate Power: Summon 8 (Coat of Aeromancy, 120PP Minion; Extras: Heroic) [24PP] (Aero, Independant-acting coat)

Keep in mind though, that this would leave you severely undercapped, when the coat is summoned, and that's very discouraged. I'd suggest that you instead try to keep within PL8 caps when your PC is not wearing the coat, so that you can still fight with relative ease. Move around stuff like saves, defenses, attacks, and whatnot, so that you lose them when you summon your Coat. Something like this:

Coat of Aeromancy 12.5 (25 PP Array; Feats: Alternate Power) [29 pts]

Base Power: Enhanced Feats (Defensive Roll 1, Dodge Focus 4, Favored Environment[Levitating], Evasion 2, Move-By Action, Uncanny Dodge, Danger Sense) + Enhanced Saves(Reflex 6) + Enhanced Grand Theorem 3 (To Grand Theorem 11.5) + Flight 2 (25mph/250ft per Move Action; Feats: Subtle) [11 + 6 + 6 + 5 = 28PP] (Wearable Enchantment)

Array - "Grand Theorems" [26 pts total]

First created by the Grand Masters of Quantum Invocation, these are forces that only the most erudite are permitted to study.

·         Eldritch Blast, Rank 7 - Damage, Ranged, Burst Area, Variable Descriptor (any elemental energy), Triggered [23 pts]

·         Eldritch Lance, Rank 10 - Damage, Ranged, Variable Descriptor (any elemental energy), Accurate-3, Reversible, Precise  [1 pt]

·         Uncanny Eldritch Missile, Rank 8 - Damage, Perception Range, Variable Descriptor (any elemental energy)  [1 pt]

·         Shape Eldritch Energy, Create Object, Rank 8, Movable, Tether, Precise  [1 pt]

Alternate Power: Summon 7 (Coat of Aeromancy, 120PP Minion; Extras: Heroic, Fanatical) [28PP] (Aero, Independant-acting coat)

This way, when you "summon" the Coat, you gain a fully functional PL7 ally, but only lose 2 effective PLs yourself!

If you need to save PPs, try lowering his Fortitude and Will. A good general rule of thumb that is encouraged in the site is that your Fortitude+Reflex+Will should equal around 3*(PL - 2). You can be a few points bellow that, or a lot points above that, but it's still a pretty good threshold to aim for. So, using that as a guideline, you may remove 5 points from your Fortitude 4 Points from your Reflex, and 5 points from your Will. When wearing the coat, you'll have Fortitude 7, Reflex 11, and Will 8, for a total of 7 + 11 + 8 = 26, which is only a bit higher than 3 times (PL10-2), while when the coat is summoned, you'll have Fortitude 7, Reflex 5, and Will 8, for a total of 7 + 5 + 8 = 20, a bit higher than 3 times (PL8-2). This saves you 14PPs, so feel free to spend them on your coat or whatever else you may want to fit in :)

Well, I don't mind being weaker when the coat is acting on its own. On one hand, I don't plan to do that in the middle of combat very often. I expect its independent nature to be more of a utility-use and RP ally rather than something he relies on in a fight. On the other hand, I don't mind getting beaten in a fight either. I suspect other PCs will be better combatants than Peculiar, while he focuses more on solving puzzles, gathering information, and being of general utility to the story rather than being the star of the battle.

As for the defenses... I'm surprised. I've always understood that PCs were intended to be at or at least near the caps for their power level, and use trade-offs to simulate individual strengths and weaknesses. Maybe that's more of a 3e thing.

I'll go over the Summon Minion rules again and work on the cloak. Thanks for the suggestion.

your PC is expected to be EXACTLY at your PL caps on their given attack+damage/effect(Damage, Stun, Paralyze, Drain, etc), and defense+toughness. Tradeoffs can modify those pairs, so a +2 atk / -2 dmg tradeoff allows you to buy PL+2 attack and PL-2 damage for a given power, as an example.

However, many PCs rely on Devices for a lot of their powers and meeting their caps, and while it's possible to lose your combat ability entirely upon losing said devices, it is not uncommon for them to be build so that they can function perfectly well without said devices, albeit at a lowered legal PL.

Given that you still retain a lot of powers without the cloak, I wholeheartedly encourage you give this some thought.

Also, when making a PC using your character slots, you are expected to use all of the slot's PPs on creation. So, for a PL10 character slot, that means you must use up all 150PPs. However, just because you are using a PL10 slot, doesn't mean you have to make a PL10 character. You can make a PL8 character, for example, like you normally would do using 120PPs, and use the rest of the 30PPs you have left to buy other stuff, additional powers, skills, feats, ability scores, etc. Just make sure to note the character's functioning PL, if you do that. Like, for example,

Professor Peculiar (PL8 / PL10)

This means that your character has enough PPs to be eligible for PL10, but is actually build on PL8 caps. You don't need to do that now, by the way, just something you may want to keep in mind for the future.

Ok, I took your advice and dropped him to PL8. That freed up enough points to make it balance out. I added "Unreliable" to the Summon Minion, because the Coat may not always WANT to act on its own.

Player Name: Tipop
Character Name: Professor Peculiar
Power Level: 10 (150/150PP)
Trade-Offs: None
Unspent Power Points: 0
In Brief: A brilliant scientist from an alternate Earth dimension where their "science" is our "magic" and visa versa. An experienced dimension-traveler who has developed a soft spot for the weak and downtrodden. Has now chosen this Earth as his home.

Residence: In an apartment above his magical bookstore-slash-library
Base of Operations: Same

Catchphrase: "By the Hoary Hosts of Hogg- ooh, is that saltwater taffy?"

Alternate Identity: Edward Peck
Identity: Public
Birthplace: New London, California (Earth-333)
Occupation: Book seller / librarian, professor of arcane studies
Affiliations: (No idea)
Family: While he has no family in this world, he comes from a large family on his home world. None of his family members are scientists, though most of them are intellectuals of one sort or another.

Description:
Apparent Age: Looks a bit older due to the bald head
Ethnicity: Caucasian
Height: 5'-11"
Weight: 160 lbs
Eyes: Black
Hair: Bald head, black van dyke beard graying at the edges

The Professor generally wears his enchanted white lab coat (with runes woven into the edges), along with his mithril-laced rubber gloves and black boots. His eyes are almost always covered with his enchanted/prescription blast goggles, though he has regular glasses he can wear as well.

Power Descriptions:

In this world, Edward Peck is considered a sorcerer. His incantations are unusual, however, in that they are strange mathematical equations that make no sense. Where other sorcerers might call upon ancient entities and arcane forces, Edward refers to theorems by the great mathematicians of his home, Escher, Geiger, etc.

Visually, his powers manifest as a weird warping of reality, of things not being quite what they appear to be. A typical damaging attack spell might cause the target to bend and twist as though viewed through a funhouse mirror, with a side effect of the ground bucking and waving like water. (These effects are reversible.)

History:

Edward Peck was born on Earth-333, a world where humanity developed magic rather than science. The concepts of cellular towers, electronic computers, and internal combustion engines would all sound crazy there. Technology has not progressed much beyond the plow. What we consider magic, they call science (which caused no end of linguistic confusion for Ed when he came to our world.)

Edward was a renowned scientist back home, and won numerous awards and accolades from his peers. However, his experiments in dimensional travel — a forbidden field of study after the interdimensional wars of 1914 and 1939 — made him an outcast when he was discovered exchanging research with a fellow scientist from another world. Rather than be imprisoned, he fled his homeworld and began a career of exploration and learning.

Despite the xenophobic teachings of his home world, Edward learned that most people throughout the multiverse were essentially the same. People were good and bad anywhere you go. He also discovered that the science of his home world made him a figure of considerable power in most places, and he learned to use that power to help other races and species wherever he could.

He was not always successful. His efforts to help the rabbit-like inhabitants of Borough against the Warlord of the Nine Spheres ended with the near-annihilation of  their species. Edward managed to escape with a few survivors, one of which is now his assistant/student (minion feat), Gingrin.

He (and the surviving Borough-folk) have settled on our Earth for a variety of reasons. The Borough-folk have acclimated well, and due to their resemblance to anthropomorphic rabbits have found easy acceptance among humanity. Edward has taken on the role of protector of the people, using an alias "Professor Peculiar", as is the local custom. The fact that the consumption of sugary sweets are not only accepted but ENCOURAGED on this world is just icing on the cake (a phrase Edward loves.)

Personality & Motivation:

Edward Peck, a.k.a. Professor Peculiar, is something of a cross between Doctor Strange and the Doctor (of Doctor Who), with a sprinkling of mad scientist thrown in for flavor. He tries to present himself as a cold scientist, but in reality he adores children, sympathizes with the downtrodden, respects all life, and rails against cruelty and selfishness.

Powers & Tactics:

His Coat of Aeromancy (a magic lab coat) provides him with levitation and protection. The coat is sentient, and is capable of independent action, but the Professor loses the protection of the coat when this happens.

His Eldritch Blast Goggles offer him a variety of magical senses, and have corrective lenses for his poor vision.

His Spells are an array of typical magical abilities.

Over the course of his adventures in numerous dimensions he's picked up the knack of speaking any tongue... he can communicate with just about any living being without casting a spell.

Complications:

Square Root of Abra Cadabra: To cast his spells, Professor Peculiar needs his hands free and must recite the proper mathematical formulae. If he is restrained and/or unable to speak, he cannot cast spells. (Power Loss complication)

The Amazing Mister Magoo: The Professor has extremely poor eyesight without prescription lenses. (Disability complication)

Is That Saltwater Taffy?: The Professor is addicted to candy. In the world he comes from there is a social stigma associated with eating sweets — it's considered deviant behavior. That's one of the reasons he's chosen our Earth as his new home. They're so delightfully perverted here they even let CHILDREN eat candy! (Addiction complication)

Wascally Wabbit: The Professor has an assistant-slash-apprentice named Gingrin, one of the rabbit-like Borough-folk he rescued from the Warlord of the Nine Spheres. Gingrin lost his home, his wife, and his children, and the Professor feels responsible for it all. Despite their master/apprentice relationship, he would die to protect Gingrin. (Relationship complication)

Abilities: -4 + 0 + 6 + 20 + 10 + 10 = 20PP
Wisdom: 16 (+3) [6 pts]

Combat: 5 + 5 = 12PP
Initiative: +4
Attack: +0 Melee, +4 Ranged (+5 with Eldritch lance) [8 pts]
Defense: +8 (+3 Base, + 5 Dodge Focus), +2 Flat-Footed [6 pts]

Saving Throws: 11 + 8 + 10 = 29PP
Toughness: +8 (+2 Con, +6 [Defensive Roll])
Fortitude: +13 (+2 Con, +11)
Reflex: +13 (+0 Dex, +8, +5 from Coat of Aeromancy)
Will: +13 (+3 Wis, +10)

Skills: 52R = 13PP

Gather Information 11 (+18) Skill Mastery

Knowledge (Arcane Lore) 11 (+18) Skill Mastery

Investigation 8 (+15) Skill Mastery

Notice 10 (+11) Skill Mastery

Search 12 (+15)

Feats: 10PP
Ritualist

Benefit: Wealth - 1
Eidetic Memory

Well-Informed

Skill Mastery (Gather Information, Expertise: Magic, Investigation, Notice)

Dodge Focus - 3

Defensive Roll - 2

Powers: 17 + 8 + 12 + 29 = 66PP

Device - rank 5 (Coat of Aeromancy - magical lab coat, 20 PP Container) [16 pts]

The wearer of the fabled Coat of Aeromancy gains more than just amazing flying capabilities. He also gains a valuable ally, and even more, a friend.

·         Enhanced Reflex, 5 [5 pts]

·         Defensive Roll, Rank 1 [1 pts]

·         Dodge Focus, Rank 2 [2 pts]

·         Improved Initiative [1 pt]

·         Alternate Power of Enchanted Lab Coat "Aero" [1 pt]

The Coat of Aeromancy is far more than it appears.

·         Summon Minion, Rank 5 (Extras: Heroic, Fanatic, Flaw: Unreliable, Feat: Mental Link) 16 pts Name: Aero

The lenses of the Eldritch Goggles are made from the petrified corneas of Ftha'gogh the Elder. The frames are by Ralph Lauren.

·         Variable, Rank 2 (Single trait of a particular type, super-senses) 10 pts

·         (Multiple traits of a single descriptor "Minor magical effects") [12 pts]

Array - "Grand Theorems" [29 pts total]

·         Eldritch Blast, Rank 8 - Damage, Ranged, Burst Area, Variable Descriptor (any elemental energy), Triggered [26 pts]

·         Eldritch Lance, Rank 11 - Damage, Ranged, Variable Descriptor (any elemental energy), Accurate-1, Reversible, Precise (26 pts)  [1 pt]

·         Uncanny Eldritch Missile, Rank 8 - Damage, Perception Range, Variable Descriptor (any elemental energy) (25 pts) [1 pt]

·         Shape Eldritch Energy, Create Object, Rank 8, Movable, Tether, Precise (26 pts) [1 pt]

DC Block

ATTACK              RANGE        SAVE                EFFECT
Unarmed             Touch        DC 13 Toughness     Damage (Physical)

Elemental Lance     Ranged +5    DC 26 Toughness     Damage (Variable)
Elemental Missile   Perception   DC 23 Toughness     Damage (Variable)

Totals: Abilities (20) + Combat (12) + Saving Throws (29) + Skills (13) + Feats (10) + Powers (66) - Drawbacks (0) = 150/150 Power Points

If there's a 50% chance of using the Summon power to summon a minion, and that's it, that'd make it appropriate as a drawback.

If, on the other hand, there's a 50% chance of using the Summon power to summon said minion, and there's another 50% chance that you can't sustain it on subsequent rounds, that's appropriate as a flaw. However, you'd need to use another standard action to reactivate the cape, which would also have its own 50% chance of failing, so the flaw may turn out wonky during play. And honestly, there's precious little to be gained in making a minion Fanatic AND unreliable at the same time. Might as well just leave both of these out, keeping it helpful.

If you want a less than cooperative cape, there's the attitude flaw you can apply to it, to make it indifferent (-1), unfriendly (-2), or hostile (-3). I don't reccomend going for anything worse than indifferent, and in fact, I'd just as easily recommend that you handle this with a complication, rather than a power flaw.

Combat: 5 + 5 = 12PP
Initiative: +4
Attack: +0 Melee, +4 Ranged (+5 with Eldritch lance) [8 pts]
Defense: +8 (+3 Base, + 5 Dodge Focus), +2 Flat-Footed [6 pts]

I think you mean to say +3 Melee, +3 Ranged, and the cost should write 6 + 6 = 12PP

Your Grapple is +1, your Knockback is -1/-4

You should list your trade-offs at the top of your sheet. +3 Dmg / -3 Atk, from what I gather.

Finally, your exotic saves are way too high. Although it's technically legal to have saves at your PL+5, it is heavily frowned upon to have all three of them so high at once. I cannot recommend enough sticking close to the PL-2 average rule. You can still have one save maxed out, but the other two saves should take an appropriately massive hit to counterbalance that.

For example:

Fort 2

Refl 13

Will 3

or

Fort 5

Refl 10

Will 3

or

Fort 6

Refl 8

Will 7

or

Fort 2

Refl 9

Will 9

They don't have to average at exactly PL-2, you are allowed some leeway, but it is heavily encouraged that you aim as close to that as you can.

Edited by Vahnyu

See, that’s what I meant about building up to your power level. Earlier you said my PC was expected to reach his PL caps, and now you say I should aim much lower. In 3e all your defenses (Toughness, Fortitude, Dodge, Parry, and Will) are part of your power level calculation. The trade-offs are Fortitude vs Will, and Toughness vs Dodge and Parry (Dodge and Parry replace the more generic “Defense”, breaking it up into melee and ranged defense.)

So you’re saying that I should make my Fort, Ref, and Will average PL-2?? That just seems crazy. That means a villain that’s built to match my PL will walk right over me with any power that targets those.

Re: Ranged Attack — I intended him to only have ranged attack, not melee. Is that not allowed?

Re: Unreliable Summon Minion — I’ll go ahead and drop it and make the power lower ranked to compensate.

Edited by Tipop

To repeat myself:

your PC is expected to be EXACTLY at your PL caps on their given attack+damage/effect(Damage, Stun, Paralyze, Drain, etc), and defense+Toughness. Tradeoffs can modify those pairs, so a +2 atk / -2 dmg tradeoff allows you to buy PL+2 attack and PL-2 damage for a given power, as an example.

Fortitude, Reflex, and Will are explicitly exempt from that. I suggest you take a look at the approved sheets. See how everyone's Fortitude, Reflex, and Will compare to their respective PLs

Your PC is explicitly expected to either be average, but not great, on all their exotic saves

OR

great on one or two of their exotic saves, but with a glaring weakness on the rest, to compensate.

By our houserules, your total attack for any given power that requires an attack roll must be bought up as at least 1/3rd base attack, rounded up. Same for your Defense. So, a character with a power that uses a +13 attack roll must have at least 5 points of that +13 (Roundup[13/3] = Roundup[4.333] = 5) bonus bought up as base defense (for example, Base Attack 5, Attack Focus Melee 2, Accurate 3)

Bottom line, trust me, if you drop your save ranks a bit, you'll have plenty of points to beef up your cape :)

You will find Approved Player Character sheets in the following subforum:

http://www.freedomplaybypost.com/forum/21-heroes/

A few character sheets from there that you can use as examples/referrence, in terms of how to build your non-Toughness saves:

http://www.freedomplaybypost.com/topic/8298-blodeuwedd-pl1213-tiffany-korta/

PL12 character, Fort 9, Refl 14, Will 10.

9+14+10 = 33. That's a bit higher than 3*(PL12 - 2), but not by much. The character belongs to tiffany korta, one of the forum's Refs/mods

http://www.freedomplaybypost.com/topic/9860-feeding-frenzy-pl-10-kolohehonu-bronze-reward/

PL10 character, Fort 10, Refl 6, Will 5.

10 + 6 + 5 = 21. That's a bit lower than 3*(PL10 -2), but not by much. The character belongs to kolohehonu, one of the forum's Guides

http://www.freedomplaybypost.com/topic/9801-sea-devil-and-singularity-orichalcum-pl-10/

PL10 character, Fort 7, Refl 7, Will 7, and PL10 sidekick, Fort 10, Refl 8, Will 8.

7+7+7 = 21, a bit lower than 3*(PL10-2), like above, however, the sidekick has 10+8+8 = 26, a bit higher than 3*(PL10-2). The characters belong to AvengerAssembled, one of the forum's owners/Admins

I hope these help! If you've got any more questions, feel free to ask! Also, make sure to pop by the Discord chat. :) Plenty of players, me included, can give you pointers, helpful advice, etc, as soon as possible!

1 minute ago, Tipop said:

I don't have any melee attacks, which is why I didn't boost that. That's permitted, right?

No, it is explicitly not permitted. And, in the case that your character relies entirely on Area or Perception attacks, they must buy 1/3rd of their PL as base attack.

A character with no ranged attacks whatsoever must still buy 1/3rd of their attack bonus as base attack, even if they never plan on using ranged attacks. That's the house rule.

Ok, by dropping his saves (and Wisdom... it was a poor investment in the first place since he only had 1 Wis-based skill), I think I've managed to make him PL10 as originally intended.

Abilities: -4 + 0 + 6 + 20 + 10 + 10 = 14PP
Wisdom: 10 (+0) [0 pts]

Combat: 16 + 8 = 24PP
Initiative: +8
Attack: +4 Melee, +4 Ranged (+10 with Eldritch lance, +6 with Eldritch Hand) [16 pts]
Grapple: +1
Defense: +10 (+4 Base, + 6 Dodge Focus), +2 Flat-Footed [8 pts]
Knockback: -1/4

Saving Throws: 3 + 4 + 7 = 16PP
Toughness: +10 (+2 Con, +8 [Defensive Roll]) *+6 without Coat
Fortitude: +5 (+2 Con, +3)
Reflex: +11 (+0 Dex, +6, +5 from Coat of Aeromancy) *+6 without Coat
Will: +7 (+0 Wis, +7)

Skills: 56R = 14PP

Investigation 9 (+16) Skill Mastery

Notice 14 (+14) Skill Mastery

Search 11 (+18)

Ritualist

Eidetic Memory

Well-Informed

Skill Mastery (Gather Information, Knowledge: Arcane Lore, Investigation, Notice)

Dodge Focus - 3

Defensive Roll - 2

Powers: 22 + 8 + 12 + 29 = 71PP

Device - rank 5 (Coat of Aeromancy - magical lab coat, 20 PP Container) [21 pts]

·         Enhanced Reflex, 5 [5 pts]

·         Defensive Roll, Rank 2 [2 pts]

·         Dodge Focus, Rank 2 [2 pts]

·         Improved Initiative [1 pt]

·         Summon Minion, Rank 5 (Extras: Heroic, Fanatic, Feat: Mental Link) 21 pts Name: Aero

Array - "Grand Theorems" [30 pts total]

·         Eldritch Blast, Rank 8 - Damage, Ranged, Burst Area, Variable Descriptor (any arcane energy), Triggered [26 pts]

·         Eldritch Lance, Rank 10 - Damage, Ranged, Variable Descriptor (any arcane energy), Accurate-3, Reversible, Precise (26 pts)  [1 pt]

·         Uncanny Eldritch Missile, Rank 8 - Damage, Perception Range, Variable Descriptor (any arcane energy) (25 pts) [1 pt]

·         Eldritch Hand, Rank 14 - Damage (touch range), Penetrating-8 ranks, Variable Descriptor (any arcane energy), Accurate-1, Precise, Reversible (26 pts) [1 pt]

·         Shape Eldritch Energy, Create Object, Rank 8, Movable, Tether, Precise (26 pts) [1 pt]

DC Block

Eldritch Lance      Ranged +10   DC 25 Toughness     Damage (Variable)
Eldritch Missile    Perception   DC 23 Toughness     Damage (Variable)

Eldritch Hand       Melee +6     DC 29 Toughness     Damage (Variable)

Totals: Abilities (14) + Combat (24) + Saving Throws (16) + Skills (14) + Feats (10) + Powers (72) - Drawbacks (0) = 150/150 Power Points

Attack: +4 Melee, +4 Ranged (+10 with Eldritch lance, +6 with Eldritch Hand) [16 pts]  > Base attack costs 2PPs per +1 on melee and ranged, not 4PPs.

So, that means that you've got 8 extra PPs!  Feel free to spend them on beefing up the cape, if you want :)

Edited by Vahnyu

Device - rank 5 (Coat of Aeromancy - magical lab coat, 20 PP Container) [21 pts]

5 ranks of Device would give you 25PPs, not 20PPs, nor 21PPs. Remember, you can buy devices and containers in incremental ranks, as long as you pay their PPs, rounded up of course. Just make sure to annotate if the Device has the Hard-to-Lose flaw, or the Easy-to-Lose flaw.

Device - rank 5.2 (Coat of Aeromancy - magical lab coat, 26 PP Container; Flaws: Hard-to-Lose) [21 pts]

Feel free to spend them on beefing up the cape, if you want

You keep mentioning beefing up the cape... It seems pretty beefy to me already. (It was designed to simulate Doctor Strange's cloak of levitation, you see.) If anything, I was thinking of putting more points into Peculiar's base defenses so he doesn't need the cloak as much... which would make it weaker rather than stronger.

What do you recommend?

Re: Device — Yeah, I kept flipping back and forth between rank 4 and rank 5, and I forgot to update it the last time. I'll fix that.

So that the summon cape reaches at least PL7.

given that you want it be fanatically loyal, that means you'd have to spend 28PPs on it, 29 if you include mental link.

As for what to do with the base cape, try this configuration

Base Power: Enhanced Feats 12 (Defensive Roll 1, Dodge Focus 2, Elusive Target, Instant Up, Favored Environment[Levitating], Evasion 2, Move-By Action, Improved Initiative, Uncanny Dodge, Danger Sense) + Enhanced Saves(Reflex 6) + Enhanced Grand Theorem 3 (To Grand Theorem 13) + Flight 2 (25mph/250ft per Move Action; Feats: Subtle) [12 + 6 + 6 + 5 = 29PP] (Wearable Enchantment)

I took 3 ranks of your Grand Theorems power, and folded them into the Device as Enhanced Grand Theorem instead. With this, when wearing the cape, you hit PL10 caps, offensively and defensively. When not, or when you "summon it", you become PL8, and the Cape becomes a PL7 heroic minion.

EDIT: I also added Elusive Target and Instant Up there. The Cape navigates you away from danger and back on your feet, on its own volition ;)

Edited by Vahnyu

Ok, I took your advice:

Abilities: -4 + 0 + 6 + 20 + 10 + 10 = 14PP
Wisdom: 10 (+0) [0 pts]

Combat: 8 + 8 = 16PP
Initiative: +12
Attack: +4 Melee, +4 Ranged (+10 with Eldritch lance, +6 with Eldritch Hand) [8 pts]
Grapple: +1
Defense: +10 (+4 Base, + 6 Dodge Focus), +2 Flat-Footed [8 pts]
Knockback: -1/4

Saving Throws: 3 + 4 + 7 = 16PP
Toughness: +10 (+2 Con, +8 [Defensive Roll]) *+6 without Coat
Fortitude: +5 (+2 Con, +3)
Reflex: +11 (+0 Dex, +6, +5 from Coat of Aeromancy) *+6 without Coat
Will: +7 (+0 Wis, +7)

Skills: 56R = 14PP

Investigation 9 (+16) Skill Mastery

Notice 14 (+14) Skill Mastery

Search 11 (+18)

Ritualist

Eidetic Memory

Well-Informed

Skill Mastery (Gather Information, Knowledge: Arcane Lore, Investigation, Notice)

Dodge Focus - 3 (flavored as magical shields)

Defensive Roll - 2 (flavored as magical shields)

Powers: 22 + 8 + 12 + 29 = 71PP

Coat of Aeromancy

·         Base Power: Summon Minion, Rank 7 (Extras: Heroic, Fanatic, Feat: Mental Link) [29 pts] Name: Aero

·         Alternate Power Device - rank 7 (Coat of Aeromancy - magical lab coat, 35 PP Container, 28 pts) [1 pt]

·         Enhanced Reflex-5 [5 pts]

·         Defensive Roll-2 [2 pts]

·         Dodge Focus-2 [2 pts]

·         Evasion-2 [2 pts]

·         Elusive Target [1 pt]

·         Instant Up [1 pt]

·         Improved Initiative-1 [1 pt]

·         Enhanced Magic-6 (+6 points to Grand Theorems array) [6 pts]

·         Enhanced Lesser Magic-6 (+6 points to Principle Theorems) [6pts]

·         Summon Minion, Rank 7 (Extras: Heroic, Fanatic, Feat: Mental Link) 29 pts Name: Aero

Variable - Rank 2 "Principle Theorems " (+1 rank with Enhanced Lesser Magic)

Array - "Grand Theorems" [30 pts total]

·         Eldritch Blast, Rank 8 - Damage, Ranged, Burst Area, Variable Descriptor (any arcane energy), Triggered [26 pts] (+2 ranks with Enhanced magic)

·         Eldritch Lance, Rank 8 - Damage, Ranged, Penetrating-4, Variable Descriptor (any arcane energy), Accurate-3, Reversible, Precise (26 pts)  [1 pt] (+2 ranks and +Penetrating:2 with Enhanced Magic)

·         Uncanny Eldritch Missile, Rank 8 - Damage, Perception Range, Variable Descriptor (any arcane energy), Reversible (26 pts) [1 pt] (+2 ranks with Enhanced Magic)

·         Eldritch Hand, Rank 11 - Damage (touch range), Penetrating-11, Variable Descriptor (any arcane energy), Accurate-1, Precise, Reversible (26 pts) [1 pt] (+3 ranks and +Penetrating:3 with Enhanced Magic)

·         Shape Eldritch Energy, Create Object, Rank 8, Movable, Variable Descriptor (any arcane energy), Precise (26 pts) [1 pt] (+2 ranks with Enhanced Magic)

DC Block

Eldritch Lance      Ranged +10   DC 25 Toughness     Damage (Variable)
Eldritch Missile    Perception   DC 25 Toughness     Damage (Variable)

Eldritch Hand       Melee +6     DC 29 Toughness     Damage (Variable)

Totals: Abilities (14) + Combat (16) + Saving Throws (16) + Skills (14) + Feats (10) + Powers (80) - Drawbacks (0) = 150/150 Power Points