Ok. What is this? Well the Dream Team is my way of interpreting part of the guidebook post for the Freedom POTUS. Mainly that he wants more state backed supers. So this is the very much work in progress line up and write up for this team. None of this is sacred, all of it is up for debate and change. I left the team deliberately half written because I have no idea if anyone beside me saw the POTUS and went "OH! OH! OH! I KNOW WHO WOULD BE PERFECT FOR THAT!" So yeah very much work in progress and would love suggestions!

it also definitely is not formatted. Will do but it wasn't a priority in my half a first draft. 

Things still missing:

More members for the core: This is not the full line up. There's currently no female members for one and I would personally think that this would be a diverse team. 

Refining responsibilities: Is there anything else that people can think of that these guys should be doing? That maybe they shouldn't/couldn't/ wouldn't be doing?

Fluff: they have no hideout etc. Wasn't really sure where was the best place to put them, I was leaning towards the south, might be nice to have Freedom in the east, Bedlam in the North, and EC in the west, so we put this in the south. Just a thought.

The Dream Team

The Dream Team is The United States of America's government sponsored super team. They began operation on July 4th, 2017 under a charter from the Federal Extra-Normal Defense Fund Creation Act (FENDFCA). They will operate under the public eye, stopping crime and preventing national disasters. 

Function and Goals

Essentially they serve three functions: prevent and mitigate the effects of natural disasters, stop open and large scale super crime, and train other heroes and law enforcement. 

All of these activities are openly broadcast and displayed to the public, and the website for the Dream Team has information on their activities as well as costs and return on investment made public (It saves a lot of money to have super heroes unwind a tornado before it can cause any property damage!). 

They also can investigate crimes, but must have search warrants, probable cause, etc. 

At the end of the day the Dream Team has one real and tangible goal: Protect the American people. 

Core Members

American Dream

Class: Paragon

State: Texas

Juan Carlos-Sanchez AKA the American Dream is the face and heart of the team. His powers are granted from two psychic entities known as Liberty and Justice. They give him the ability to fly, generate a forcefield, and endow him with incredible strength. He is a notably young hero, only twenty five and the son of Filipino immigrants. Juan wears no mask, preferring his signature Stetson hat, Levi Jeans, and Ariat Boots

Vaquero

Class: Cowl

State: California

The Vaquero is a Gunslinger from the state of California. Notable for being a quick draw, skilled with a lasso, and having a number of trick bullets that can end situations non lethally. Vaquero was chosen for the team because of his ability to not only talk down common criminals, but also to emphasize with the public. Rumor has it that he has no powers, only his training and skill, making him an ideal for young kids to strive for. 

Satire

Class: Other

State: New York

Satire is one of those odd heroes. A living political cartoon of more or less unknown origin. His ability to regenerate and shapeshift makes him a versatile combatant. Meanwhile he is already becoming the heart of the team, able to be both encouragement and critic as the need arises. And comic relief. Mostly comic relief. 

Mystery Master

Class: Mystic

State: Tennessee

Mystery Master is a former member of the Waco Warriors. His magic stems from his connection to the ley lines that cross the Earth as well as the innate magic found in certain geometries. His signature spells deal with reshaping the weather or creating shapes of mystic energy out of the air. 

I like what you're doing here, Kolo, and I agree a Southern-based team has a lot of appeal; I would think either Atlanta, New Orleans or Austin might make good HQ cities, just off the top of my head. Adding 3-4 female teammates would be a good idea. I love the website that shows costs and benefits as a tool to win over the American people.

Here are a few possible slots we could feel, all of whom could be female.

Speedster

Non-flying Brick, maybe one who absorbs different materials for different effects

Animal mimic ala JLU's Vixen

I'm not familiar with Bedlam, so I could use some suggestions on what criminal group this could be. Might make for a hook at some point. 

As far as a brick:

Moneymaker

Class: Powerhouse

State: Wisconsin

Mariah Washington gained her reputation as the Moneymaker in Bedlam City as a top enforcer and body guard of one of the powerful gangs. Her ability to change her body into a substance that looked like gold, albeit much harder, and to turn people and objects into gold made her a feared criminal. Her turning and being instrumental in dismantling the syndicate earned her a presidential pardon and a spot on the Dream Team. 

Edited by Kolohehonu

I like where this is going! I think you're hitting the right notes with their mission, approach, etc.

I also like the idea of putting them in the South, since that gives us a nice 5 points; FC/East, EC/West, BC/North, DT/South, and Barnstormers/Center. 

Putting American Dream in Texas gives us a lot of Texan heroes, but...that makes sense! 

Kolo: Would Moneymaker be able to turn the people she golded-up back into people? I only ask because otherwise it kind of looks like someone who committed several murders is walking free....which may be intentional! Just something to consider. I love the powerset, though. 

I think the idea of an animal mimic is a good one. Probably throw a Battlesuit in there, too? I feel like they're a good team-member type. 

You might look at having an air/wind controller, to help out Mystery Master with defusing the tornados and whatnot? 

Maybe someone with something like Stretching, or Growth, or the like?

Moneymaker will have turned back as many people she could. It's not everybody, some were lost or left too long and she definitely feels that. 

So yes, some people see her as getting away with crimes. 

I'll be honest, Vaquero kills from time to time. No one has proved it though. And as a government operative there's times when he can kill. 

very similar! Liberty and justice have played a similar role to the spirit of liberty, but they've picked less military heroes. (The last person with them was a civil rights activist, and there was an abolitionist before that) 

as far as a battlesuit... I had an idea a while back for a corgi in a battle suit from a hidden city of talking animals, kinda more diverse gorilla city. Kinda super scientist dog who makes a suit to make sure his/her city remains safe and hidden. 

Maybe an Avian for the air controller. Avian who can control air and talk to birds... hmmmm

Might want to think about how these guys feel about and treat non-government teams, particularly the Freedom League.  How does jurisdiction and territory work?  I would think there might be at least a little bit of tension, even if it's only friendly rivalry; you just know that members of both teams will show up to the same disaster/major villain attack at least once, and even when everyone agrees that they're more or less on the same side, it's not easy to coordinate between teams. 

Hell, that sounds like a potential plot hook, once the new PC-led Freedom League gets up and running. 

Also, every team needs a cool HQ; I agree that it's smart to base them in the South, so if we're decided on that, what kind of place should they operate out of?

Well Project Safeguard is the more military team. So I think for tone purposes, the oil derrick works best. Needs a catchy name.

And as far as how they see the league, well the Dream Team is American. Is there a crisis in space? Until it provides a clear and present danger it isn't their problem. German landslide? Not their jurisdiction. 

Essentially they are happy for the help in emergencies, but they are gonna always try to spin it as the League was helping them. Vaquero or Moneymaker might also let intel they can't actually deal with get leaked to the League. Say a mob boss etc.

Hmm -

Here's my thought. 

Before we get these guys on the board, we need to figure out what they're for.

They're a team of NPCs, doing something interesting. What role will they serve in stories, which are centered on PCs? 

I personally would rather the government team be filled with PCs - but I know that would make things difficult, especially since that team will need someone watching it pretty closely in a GM capacity... 

15 hours ago, Avenger Assembled said:

Hmm -

Here's my thought. 

Before we get these guys on the board, we need to figure out what they're for.

They're a team of NPCs, doing something interesting. What role will they serve in stories, which are centered on PCs? 

I personally would rather the government team be filled with PCs - but I know that would make things difficult, especially since that team will need someone watching it pretty closely in a GM capacity... 

The other trick is figuring out which PCs/players would actually want to sign up! Which isn't 100% a bad thing; better to have a whole range of views. But it might make it trickier to give us a well-balanced team.

What would be the ideal dynamic if we have a PC-centric Dream Team, AA? The primary concept coming to mind is "conflict of interest"...

Well I for one would absolutely be happy having Hyperactive in a government super team. If that would be the better option, then maybe it would be best to cut the NPC's down to support for the PC's. 

I'd be more than happy to GM threads and oversee the Dream Team (I like the name, and even if all the NPC's get moved to the side I do think that name should be the name. Open to cooler suggestions though.) 

So maybe what would be best is to keep say the location (oil rig in the Gulf), their general responsibilities (stopping natural disasters and stopping super crime.), and maybe make some NPC's for support? 

Then make a post in the more general campaign discussion and start to piece together a team?

probably would want to do that over a series of threads right?

9 hours ago, Kolohehonu said:

So maybe what would be best is to keep say the location (oil rig in the Gulf), their general responsibilities (stopping natural disasters and stopping super crime.), and maybe make some NPC's for support? 

Then make a post in the more general campaign discussion and start to piece together a team?

probably would want to do that over a series of threads right?

Seems like the best approach to me. If there's only 2-3 PCs that join, maybe we could say there's 1-2 NPC heroes, just so it doesn't feel like a "lame duck" sort of team. 

Hm. Maybe adapt the genius corgi from "battlesuit hero" to "tech inventor support guy"?

19 minutes ago, KnightDisciple said:

Seems like the best approach to me. If there's only 2-3 PCs that join, maybe we could say there's 1-2 NPC heroes, just so it doesn't feel like a "lame duck" sort of team. 

Hm. Maybe adapt the genius corgi from "battlesuit hero" to "tech inventor support guy"?

I do like that idea! Corgi command... will run with this idea!

Corgi commander

Dr. Wesley Harrison, PHD. 

Dr. Wesley Harrison was a physicist and psychologist working in Bermuda. He was experimenting with mind transfers and potential immortality. He was doing well until his dog walked into the other end. He wound up transferring himself into the dog and disintegrated his old body. Unable to return he decided to continue his work. Dr. Wesley was selected by J.T. Cahill to run command for the new US Dream Team. 

He uses Doghouse as his call sign, but I highly doubt anyone wants to call him that.

Edited by Kolohehonu

One thing regarding NPCs: since this is a government team, I imagine they don't get to be as autonomous as, say, the Freedom League, in conducting their affairs. After all, this is supposed to be a major reversal of policy that's pretty much Cahill's pet cause, and I'm sure it wouldn't pass the House/Senate without some concessions made. Also, judging by the name of the law, the Dream Team is officially the Federal Extra-Normal Defense Fund (FEND). So I was thinking: maybe have the whole thing run by appointed bureaucrats, not the superheroes themselves. I figure two of them (Director, Deputy Director), with opposing agendas and viewpoints, might be interesting. Maybe they play favorites, maybe certain disasters get priority over others, maybe one of them's corrupt or even a witting or unwitting agent of <insert bad peoples>. 

Rough sketch:

Simone "The Villain" Bonvillain, a conservative Democrat from Louisiana. PolSci degree from Loyola, got her start working for Edwin "The Lizard" Edwards, eventually ended up in the upper echelons of the Department of Homeland Security, was slated for a major cabinet position if <whoever the Democratic candidate was> had won. Think a Cajun Amanda Waller crossed with Frank Cards from the hit show, Frank of Cards. Maybe make her mixed-race/Creole of color?

John Talcott Crane III, a moderate Republican from Massachussets. Accomplished legal scholar, Yale college buddy of JT Cahill, former four-term Congressman and 2016 Presidential hopeful who dropped out of the race and endorsed Cahill after a laughable showing in Iowa. Nicknamed "Frasier" for his clipped Boston Brahmin accent and stiff demeanor. 

That's just a suggestion, of course. (Wanted to avoid a stereotypical "Republican General Ripper, Democrat milquetoast" setup)

Something to think about - 

Ideally PCs (and NPCs) on the team will probably be sincerely patriotic (or can fake it reasonably well), photogenic, have a background free from scandal or have one hell of a redemption narrative, and in some ways be dependent on the new job. 

For example, Miss Americana would be the wrong kind of PC for the team because her power, good looks, and wealth would make her teammates dependent on _her_ - someone in their early twenties without a steady paycheck would be perfect. 

Hyperactive is probably just the kind of person they want.