[IC] Smacking before Packing

Zenith snarled in response, as she looked around for them.  That idiot Jann!  She pulled the remaining material into her hand and threw it down.  The spike impaled into the ground not too far away from him, and then she pulled herself back down to it, in an explosion of riotous light and liquid fire.

Her eyes locked onto Jann then, and she held up an open hand that she slowly made a claw gesture that closed with emphasis as she glared down at him.  Around her bits of ground started to rip itself up and into light that surged towards her.  "Now is the time to speak."  And with that she was glaring at him pointedly as the spike of... something?  It was matte black and like a sharpened pillar.  It rose up and aimed at Jann now.  "Explain why they attacked us now.  And why you said, 'escape again'."  He would be keenly aware he was not dealing with the less confrontational Corinne.  

PC

In the meantime, Jann had sat back up, resting without the slightest motion once more. The hockeystick he’d originally used was a short distance away. Not within arm’s reach, but still close. He didn’t seem fazed by Zenith’s actions. His reaction to the spike was to slowly turn his head, meeting Zenith’s eyes and keeping up eye-contact even while she spoke.

Something was slightly off. Slightly different to how he usually acted. It was something in the way he sat there, his expression, something that felt a lot more active than usual, even if he did not move.  His words were calm, unintimidated.

“Do not know who they are. Similar to the ones I’m with, an organization. They attacked before. Whispers say there was a motive, a theft. Do not know why now. Why me and her.”

He paused for a second right then, tilting his head slightly. “..you?”

"You're not telling everything.  What organization?"  He was coy, and while he was an odd duck in his manner of speaking, he was nominally very forthright. "This is a long time between then and now.  Why would they try to capture you or beat you to death?"  If Corinne would back off, then Zenith was a hound what caught the scent.  She pressed.  And would keep pressing.

"If you were just a witness, if you just interfered, why now?"  Corinne's frustrations over the situation, her fear, only fed herself now.  Only a wellspring of anger, and nary a target but Jann.  It didn't track.  It didn't make sense.  It pissed her off more.  Her hand clenching shut, as the spike was shaking, wobbling about wildly, before she threw her arm out to the side, and sending sailing away, and into the ground.

"They were going to kill me, you idiot!  You made this my business now!  You puffed up, grand standing hero wannabe!"  The spike glowing as she grew angrier, and angrier.  The distortion around her warp in on itself, looking more and more like digitized fire.

PC

Jann didn’t react much to Zenith’s actions. He kept up the eye contract, but none of her actions got any sort of reaction from him. Just calmly sitting there. Which, in itself, carried a message with it. He was not afraid of what was happening.

“Do not know. Likely training program. Have heard whispers about recruitment. From Claremont, and from others. Possibly related. “

The tone of his voice changed ever so slightly as he continued onwards, carrying more energy behind it. “Were not after me. Would not have followed … you, otherwise. Would have encircled me. Was not the target of the attack. “

“No reason to kidnap me. But clearly, some to do it to you. Only one fighting lethally. The one in combat with me. “

"You said again!  You dealt with them before!  You are lying to me!"  It was fire and rage, and the ground under her sank, as it was pushed out as if a sphere was expanding.  Then her arms dropped, and she stared at him with those incandescent eyes, and then she snarled, and moved away.  "Fine.  I am done."  She threw the spike away and into the air, and discorporated away.  It didn't make sense, unless they were trying to extort money from Corinne's father...

Which made less sense, unless people believed he wasn't as powerful as he demonstrated?  She had seen the footage.  Why would they be after her?  She wasn't a known factor.  Not in the slightest.  Once she was away, it was easy to keep going.  And get more distance from him, and them, and what had happened.  Until she was somewhere else...

GM

Corinne continued on for a while. She wasn’t even sure where she ended up in the end, but she knew how to get back to the Academy, and that was what mattered. She stayed out for a while, needing some time.

Jann didn’t have the power to chase. He may have been able to catch up when fully healthy and not carrying anything, but like this he didn’t have a chance. And he didn’t have the time either. He had to leave soon, and this had only taken valuable time. So, he continued onwards on his journey, the biggest of his wounds covered up.

Corinne returned to Claremont later in the day. Jann had already left, apparently carrying a variety of bags. He’d been asked what had caused his wounds, without ever giving a proper reply, but had, when asked where Corinne went, mentioned that she’d get in later. And as was known amongst most of Jann’s fellow students, he would be entirely unavailable until he’d return, some time late August.  

~ Fin ~