Boomer Lad PL 10 - Shizuochan

Player Name: Shizuochan

Character Name: Boomer-Lad

Power Level: 10 (150 PP)

Trade-Offs: +5 Attack/-5 Damage

Unspent Power Points: 0

In Brief: Disavowed playboy spy turned aspiring cape; self-centered, self-defeating, armed with boomerangs and spy skills.

Residence: Downtown, Freedom City

Base of Operations: N/A

Catchphrase: “Lad. Boomer-Lad.”

Alternate Identity: Sidney Cole

Identity: Public

Birthplace: Sydney, Australia

Affiliations: Free Agent

Family: Randall Cole (Father), Martha Cole (Mother), Sophia Cole (Sister), Margo Thewlis (Ex-Wife)

Description:

Apparent Age: As above.

Ethnicity: Caucasian

Height: 6’1

Weight: 196 lbs

Eyes: Green

Hair: Dirty-Blonde

Description: Sidney Cole is a man blessed with natural good looks, and presents himself as such. Short, dirty-blonde hair is left unkempt, while his face is constantly slack, an easy - empty - grin plastered upon tanned skin. Sidney is a man of high fashion - tailored black suits, jewellry and fancy watches. A life of military training lends a compact, rigid strength to Sidney’s lean form, toned and responsive.  

DPLTDSh.png

As Boomer-Lad, there are a few deliberate decisions made in regards to his costume. Not a flyer, he nonetheless has ‘wings’ which are meant to emulate the two halves of a boomerang, adding to the mnemonic nature of symbolism. The camouflage patterning is meant to call-back to his days as military, while his mask does little to conceal his photogenic face.

Power Descriptions:

Sidney Cole does not have powers, but is a capable physical fighter and former spy. As Boomer-Lad, his ‘powers’ of choice are loaded into his twin boomerangs Lassie and Sassy, and his impressive prowess with them. The boomerangs themselves are technologically-augmented with a variety of utilities; grapple-hook, smoke/flashbomb capabilities, and even the ability to interface with technology.

History:

It’s not a lie that Sidney Cole was born in Australia.

That he was born and raised there? A definite lie.

Born to wealthy American world-travellers, Sidney Cole found himself latching unto the stereotypical perception of Australians in his school days. Assuming a rugged, carefree persona and a (truthfully awful) faux Australian-accent, Sidney Cole managed to maintain popularity and a spot on the quote-on-quote ‘high council’ of high-school social politick. And that suited him just fine.

Sidney Cole’s enlisting with the army - to the chagrin of his worried parents - also stemmed from his need for respect. When the Graduation ceremony came to pass, he received the loudest applause of all, receiving thanks from strangers for ‘service’ that he had not even given. This pathological need for respect informed his behavior once enlisted - he excelled, despite having no real care for the military life, no real love for his country.

That his recruitment into a Secret Agency was almost entirely predicated by a resolve and thirst for perfection driven by a need for respect was… admittedly not too unusual. Well-trained, naturally athletic, and with superb coordination, Sidney Cole made a fine agent. Only problem was: being a fine agent led to less fanfare than he was accustomed to.

Cloak and daggers - not his favorite. And so, Sidney Cole transitioned from dedicated agent to flamboyant playboy, wannabe James Bond, with predictable results: he transitioned from exceptional performer to unabashed failure. Having become reckless, and self-destructive, Sidney Cole was recalled from assignment, and promptly removed from service.

From the ashes of the lost agent emerged Boomer-Lad, a ‘hero’ cultivated to attract fanboy and fangirl alike - the smoldering Australian vibe, the wanton playboy magnetism, and boomerangs to serve as his symbol.

And also stereotypical Australian symbolism. Again.  

Personality & Motivation:

Doing good feels good, but being recognised for it is so much better. That ‘fact’ is the crux of Sidney Cole, a man capable of forethought, surprising intelligence and intense deliberation, but so obsessed with fame and glory that it carries over into the realms of self-sabotage. A need to be recognised as great at every turn of his life pervades all aspects of his life; a formerly trained stealth operative, Sidney will outright take sub-optimal (and inevitably gaudy) courses of action if it gives him a moment in the spotlight.

Powers & Tactics:

Sidney knows all the core fundamentals and tenets of a well-planned operation; casing the scene, making note of enemy tendencies and weaknesses, and exploiting them while exposing oneself to minimal risk. Too bad that’s not the way he handles business nowadays.

Boomer-Lad will challenge dark wizards and fire-breathers alike, counting on feats of acrobatics and trick-boomeranging to subdue villains in stylish fashion. His two trusted boomerangs, Lassie and Sassy, have a variety of tricks and gimmicks to them, which can be used in a variety of situations.

Complications:

Reputation: Amongst heroes, Boomer-Lad is known as a poseur, a glory-hog. Otherwise, he also has negative repute due to the nature of his removal from military service.

Addiction: Sidney Cole thrives off adoration - to that end, his fighting style and hero image are all cultivated to elicit oohs and aahs. He will forego obvious solutions if a chance for a ‘highlight reel play’, so to speak, presents itself.

Abilities: 4 + 12 + 6 + 4 + 4 + 8 = 38PP

Strength: 14 (+2)

Dexterity: 22 (+6)

Constitution: 16 (+3)

Intelligence: 14 (+2)

Wisdom: 14 (+2)

Charisma: 18 (+4)

Combat: 26 + 10 = 36PP

Initiative: +6

Attack: +13 Melee, +15 Attack Focus) Ranged

Grapple: +15

Defense: +15 (+5 Base, +10 Dodge Focus), +3 Flat-Footed

Knockback: -1/-2

Saving Throws: 2 + 1 + 3 = 6PP

Toughness: +3/5 (+3 Con, +2 [D. Roll])

Fortitude: +5 (+3 Con, +2)

Reflex: +7 (+6 Dex, +1)

Will: +5 (+2 Wis, +3)

Skills: 92R = 23PP

[Acrobatics] [5] +11

[Bluff] [7] +11

[Computers] [3] +5

[Disable Device] [5] +7

[Disguise] [4] +8

[Drive] [2] +8

[Escape Artist] [4] +10

[Gather Information] [5] +9

[Investigate] [5] +7

[Knowledge: Current Events]  [5] +7

[Knowledge: Streetwise] [4] +6

[Language: Mandarin, Russian, French, Spanish, Japanese, Korean] [6]

[Notice] [4] +6

[Pilot] [4] +10

[Profession: Spy] [4] +6

[Search] [5] +7

[Sense Motive] [5] +7

[Sleight of Hand] [5] +11

[Stealth] [4] +10

[Survival] [4] +6

[Swim] [2] +4

Feats: 31PP

Ambidexterity

Attack Focus (Ranged) 2

Benefit 2 (Wealth)
Defensive Roll 2

Dodge Focus 10

Equipment 8

Improved Aim

Improved Critical (Boomerang)

Improved Ranged Disarm

Quick Draw

Ranged Pin

Skill Mastery (Bluff, Disable Device, Profession: Spy, Sense Motive)

Powers/Equipment: 16 + 0 + 0 = 16PP

(Feats: Equipment 8; 45)

Device 5 (Trick Boomerangs “Lassie” and “Sassy”; 25 pp device, Flaws: Easy to lose, Modifiers: Multiple Object 1) [16PP] (metal boomerang, technology, training)

Boomerang Array (18 PP array, Power Feats: Alternate Power 6) [24DP]

Base Power: Blast 3 (Basic Throw; Power Feats: Homing 1, Ricochet 2) [9PP] (boomerang, training)

AP: Super Movement 4 (Mode: Grapplerang; Slow Fall, Swinging, Wall-Crawling 2) [8PP] (boomerang with grapple-line, training)

AP: Datalink 2 (Mode: Remote-a-Rang; Radio Communication Based; Power Feats: Machine Control) [3PP] (boomerang, technology; one boomerang remote controls what the other boomerang is linked to)

AP: Dazzle 5 (Mode: Bang-a-Rang; Visual Senses) [10PP] (boomerang, light-based/flashbang, training)

AP: Deflect 5 (Deflecting Throw, Slow and Fast Projectiles; Extras: Ranged)  [15PP] (boomerang, training)

AP: Obscure 6 (Mode: Smoke-a-Rang; visual and olfactory, 250’ radius) [18PP] (boomerang, smoke-bomb, training)

AP: Trip 5 (Power Feats: Homing 1, Ricochet 2) [8PP] (boomerang, training)

Equipment

“The Lad-Mobile”

As armored car (Strength: 35, Speed: 5, Defense: 8, Toughness: 12, Huge) [11EP]

Powers: Flight 5 (250 mph; rocket thrusters) [10EP]

Features: Alarm, Caltrops, Hidden Compartments, Navigation System, Oil Slick, Remote Control, Smokescreen [7EP]

[Total: 28EP]

“The Lad-Pad”

As Skyscrapers (5 floors).

Size: Large. Toughness: 10. Features: Communications, Computer, Defense System, Fire Prevention System, Gym, Hangar, Infirmary, Laboratory, Library, Living Space, Power System, Security System, Workshop. [16 EP]

Drawbacks: (-0) + (-0) = -0PP

Drawback (Description; Frequency: [Uncommon, Common, or Very Common]; Intensity: [Minor, Moderate, or Major]) [-XPP]

Example:

Vulnerability (Fire; Frequency: Common; Intensity: Major [x2]) [-4PP]

Note: You can only have a number of Drawbacks equal to your PL, not including Power drawbacks. Also, Power Drawbacks, such as Full Power or Power Loss, should be listed on the Power, not here.

DC Block

ATTACK               RANGE      SAVE                          EFFECT

Unarmed              Touch         DC 17 Toughness             Damage (Physical)

Boomerang Toss       Ranged        DC 20 Toughness             Damage (Physical)

Dazzle               Ranged        DC 16 Reflex/Fortitude     Blinded

Trip                 Ranged        Opposed Rank 5 vs Dex      Prone

Totals: Abilities (38) + Combat (36) + Saving Throws (6) + Skills (23) + Feats (31) + Powers (16) - Drawbacks (0) = 150/150 PP

Edited by Shizuochan

Please accept our apologies for the delay on this sheet's review - end of the month can get a little busy!

Definitely an unusual concept, there. 27's a little young for a retired spy, but hey, comic books. Do keep in mind that we don't expect all of our heroes to be nice or uniformly bleached-white-underpants good wholesome people, but we do expect them to be heroes - raw selfishness or comic anti-hero blundering aren't going to fly quite as well in- or out-of-universe. Not saying you're planning on going there, but it makes for a good standard disclaimer.

Keep in mind, too, that while we're not all serious business on these boards and have a wide range of heroes from the grim cowls to the happy-go-lucky spectral undead, reactions in-game to a guy with a fake accent and....interestingly-named boomerangs are going to be very, very mixed. An American pilfering Australian stereotypes to chase fame as a hero is not going to be well-received by many. Fair warning, and all that - Booster Gold types take really good writing and a deft touch to walk the line between "good hero" and "eminently punchable".

On to the crunch!

General

This character is way under combat-caps, defensively; with no tradeoffs, a PL10 character should have a defense+toughness of 20; this character has +10 Defense and +5 Toughness for an effective PL of 7.5. They're going to need to scrape together 5 defense, 5 toughness, or some mix thereof so that they don't get knocked flat on their butt the moment they enter a fight.

On a similar note, your character's ability to dish out raw damage is somewhat limited - +15 on attack, and some solid +5 offensive abilities (Dazzle, Trip, etc), but his ability to actually knock fools out is only +3, for an effective damaging power level of PL9. Unlike the defenses, I'm not going to call this one a deal-breaker because it's pretty close and you do have some PL-capped non-damaging attacks, but be wary of how easy it's going to be for enemies to shrug your boomerangs off.

Combat

Attack bonus here would just be "+13 Melee, +15 Ranged"; sorry if that wasn't clear in the template. It's most important to know, at a glance, what a character's working with - for you, and for the GMs and refs!

Your strength bonus contributes to your grapple rolls: with +13 Melee attack rolls and a +2 Strength bonus, Boomer Lad would have a +15 Grapple bonus.

GMs will need to know what your flat-footed Knockback is, once in a while - in this case, Knockback would be -1/-2.

Feats

The final PP tally at sheet's end is incorrect in that there are 29PP of feats, but the feat section itself still says 30. Trivial notation stuff, but trivial notation stuff makes the world go 'round.

Powers

Datalink 2 with 1 feat would cost 3pp, not 2.

Dazzle (Visual Senses) is a 2pp/rank power (since visual senses count for double) - with 5 ranks and three feats, that's 13pp, not 10pp.

As a word of crunch warning: Deflect is not a very good power. We don't ban it, and it isn't costing you much, but it's based on the melee Block action and I can tell you that in many years on this site I've never once seen anyone actually use the Block action. Maybe you'll be the first! Just...thought I'd throw that out there in case one day you have to cut 1pp from the device.

Duly noted on the forewarning! I will endeavor the make the character bearable - at the very least, he will not devolve into Sterling Archer :p. 

I believe the mechanics should be in order, changes made:

- Took off a few feats (I believe Contacts/Well-Informed and two others that now escape my mind) for 4 additional Dodge Focus. Which... doesn't exactly put me at cap, but is much closer (9.5, I think)!

- Otherwise, notation in Combat Section and Feats should be fine.

- Dazzle cost noted correctly. Keeping in Deflect for now... but actually I totally concede the point of it not being very good. :P

Thanks very much! 

Edited by Shizuochan

New characters need to hit their combat caps; we hate to draw a hard line on that, but it's been trouble in the past. I'm afraid you'll need to scrounge that last .5 from somewhere. :(

If I may: our house rules say that at least a third of your total defense must come from base defense - this character's currently at 6 base out of 14 total. You could drop that to 5 base defense, and use the freed-up 2pp to buy two more ranks of Dodge Focus, which would bring you up to a solid +15 defense total - you wouldn't gain or lose any pp in the deal, overall, but you'd meet defensive caps (and just barely meet the 1/3rd base defense requirement) and your flat-footed defense wouldn't change (since it's one of the only things in the system that round up).

Right, so. Boomerangs.

There's an issue with comics, that an individual from a country or culture will have powers that are tied hard into said country or cultural identity. Sometimes, this can be done well; other times... well, I think every Aborigine hero at Marvel save one has had powers tied to the Dreamtime. And that means you get characters like Captain Boomerang, the Australian man who hurls boomerangs. It especially feels oddly removed when it's an American man who throws boomerangs after growing up in Australia; it risks saying, "I have grown up in the heart of Australian culture, absorbed everything from the bush to the beaches of Perth, gone out in the depths towards Kalgoorlie, know the history, the people, the value of the flat white*... and all I want to capture from my home soil is 'boomerangs.'" Especially since we've got a number of Australian players here. The boomerang as a weapon can work; it's just that when Marvel wants to make, say, a villain who hurls boomerangs, they make him... a baseball player who got drummed out of the big leagues due to scandal and turned to crime, using his throwing powers for evil. 

When your character is an American putting on a show of being another culture, then reduces that culture to "boomerangs"... well, it can come across quite poorly, if you know what I'm saying. Especially since he will likely be interacting with other players, and perhaps other characters, who are likewise Australian. 

*Hell, I expect to get s*** from Aussie players for possibly reducing their country to the bullet points I know, and I apparently know quite a few. 

Interestingly, I was hoping to use those very points to make a very, uh, well, surface hate-sink character and grow from there, but it has now occurred to me the flaw in the idea, and that perhaps I've gone too meta. :P

So, basically: I agree! I hope there's no hard feelings if I scrap this character to pursue another one!

I mean, there's not essentially a need to fully scrap the character. If you want to make a boomerang hurler, we're down with that.

If you want to make a boomerang hurler from Australia, we'd need Reasons (TM), but I'm sure we could work with that given sufficient backstory. 

But making a character who is meant to be That Asshole... goes badly.