Various questions regarding an electrical controller

Just working on a PL 6 villain, and ran into a few uncertainties, think I've got them figured, but wanted to double check with the more experienced people on the board. First, Transmit is described in Ultimate Powers as being a teleport effect using a medium, like taking teleport with that flaw. As such, does it suffer from the same limitations, mainly needing to be able to perceive the location or have the Accurate extra? Second, if said character has datalink and cyberspace, and can insert himself into a computer or server at the location he wants to enter, is that enough to transmit there through that computer, or does he need to see the physical location visually first? (assuming he doesn't take accurate, or even if he does) Third, in choosing a medium for transmit, the book uses "Networks" as an example, and electrical and data networks as examples of that. Now, is "Networks" a specific enough medium, or would different kinds of networks require different versions of the power? And fourth, if one power in an array has a power feat (not an extra) that also applies to another power in the same array, do you need to take the feat again, or will it apply to both powers from taking it the first time? I suddenly remember exasperating my teachers in elementary for some reason....

First, Transmit is described in Ultimate Powers as being a teleport effect using a medium, like taking teleport with that flaw. As such, does it suffer from the same limitations, mainly needing to be able to perceive the location or have the Accurate extra?

Indeed.

Second, if said character has datalink and cyberspace, and can insert himself into a computer or server at the location he wants to enter, is that enough to transmit there through that computer, or does he need to see the physical location visually first? (assuming he doesn't take accurate, or even if he does)

I'd say you'd need to know where the actual physical location ("receiving" terminal) is first, unless you also had Accurate on the teleport. The cyberspace extra on Datalink is essentially a form of dimensional super-movement, and so doesn't quite interact with the real world.

Third, in choosing a medium for transmit, the book uses "Networks" as an example, and electrical and data networks as examples of that. Now, is "Networks" a specific enough medium, or would different kinds of networks require different versions of the power?

I'd say "electrical networks" would cover both porting through power lines and across modems/ethernet cables.

And fourth, if one power in an array has a power feat (not an extra) that also applies to another power in the same array, do you need to take the feat again, or will it apply to both powers from taking it the first time?

You'd need to apply it to both powers. Or, apply it to the array itself, and it'd apply to all the powers in the array.

I suddenly remember exasperating my teachers in elementary for some reason....

Your homework for tonight is to watch every episode of Superman:the Animated Series that features Livewire ;)

Okay, so I'm looking over my powers here, and I can't decide whether I ought to put them all in an array, or keep them independent (math is not my strong suit). So far, I have Datalink 1 with the Cyberspace feat (2 pts), Transmit 9 with the Accurate extra (18 pts), Absorption (healing) 5 limited to Electricity (10 pts), Alternate Form 7 with Insubstantial 3 and Energy Aura 5 (35 pts), and Blast 5 (10 pts). I think it may be a bit too much to afford after buying skills and abilities and whatnot, but I don't completely understand the Array structure, so I don't know if it would be cheaper or not. Can anybody more capable with the crunchy bits walk me through this? I looked at Electrical Control, which is an array, but some things were listed as possible alternate powers, and others as related effects, and I guess I just don't understand the distinction. I think I can get by with 75 pts spent on powers, but if the array is cheaper, I think that may be the better option, especially considering all these powers are aspects of the same basic ability with electricity.

What do you want the Absorption to do, Heal him or Boost some other power? If it Boosts his Blast, you could just have a rank in Blast (or even no ranks), at the cost of not being able to fire blasts unless he's absorbed some electricity.

You could fit Transmit into the Alternate/Energy form; before transmitting he first converts his body into pure energy.

You might could have the Datalink & Cyberspace power be an AP of the Transmit. In a given round, he can control computers or travel across/through them.

The absorption is for healing, and in regards to making datalink an ap, that wouldn't actually change the cost any, since it's only 2 pts as is, would it? Also, if I were to use electricity control to make an array, that makes blast redundant, since that is the default setting of electricity control. I guess what I really don't understand here is the math behind the array structure, how the full cost of the array is figured. I was intending him to be able to transmit from his normal human form, but that comment about becoming energy first does make sense. I certainly want him to be able to use datalink without becoming energy, though. Also, I'm a bit confused about using absorption for boost; do you pick one thing that it boosts when you take the power, or do you decide when the energy is absorbed? I think I'll still use it for healing though, the idea being that if he gets hurt, he can run to a wall socket and "energize" himself to recuperate.

in regards to making datalink an ap, that wouldn't actually change the cost any, since it's only 2 pts as is, would it?

Sorta. You could do Datalink 8 (PF: Cyberspace, Alternate Powers: Transmit 9) for 10pp.

Or Transmit 9 (PF: Alternate Power: Datalink 8 [PF: Cyberspace]), also for 10pp.

Or Transmit 9 (PF: Alternate Power: Datalink 1 [PF: Cyberspace]), also for 10pp, since the alternate powers in an array don't need to be built on the full amount of available points.

I guess what I really don't understand here is the math behind the array structure, how the full cost of the array is figured.

With an Array, you pay the full cost for some power; this is the "Base" power. Then you buy the Alternate Power Power Feat (1pp each) to get Alternate Powers for it, each of which can be built on a number of points equal to the cost of the "Base" power (minus the cost of the Alternate Power power feats).

So you could have Electrical Control 9 (PFs: 3 Alternate Powers: Blast 6 [Extra: Burst Area], Stun 9, Stun 6 [Extra: Ranged]). Total cost is 21pp -- 18 for the "Base" power (Electrical Control 9), +3 more for each Alternate Power. Each Alternate Power is built on up to 18pp, since that's the cost of the "Base" power.

Also, I'm a bit confused about using absorption for boost; do you pick one thing that it boosts when you take the power, or do you decide when the energy is absorbed?

You'd choose what it Boosts at the time you buy/create the Absorption power.

So, does this work as an array?: Electrical Control: default Blast 6 (extra: Area [cloud]) AP: Dazzle (visual) AP: Transmit (extra: Accurate) AP: Datalink (PF: cyberspace) for a total of 21 pp. The main thing I'm uncertain about here, is the fact that I added an extra to the default effect in order to raise the total cost of the default power while staying within PL limits. Is that kosher? This is actually an ideal way for me to arrange the character's powers, given that he can only use one of these at a time, and his alternate form powers are still available to him.

I'd say it's fine, though you do need to list the actual ranks of those alternate powers. Something like:

Electrical Control 9 (Base Effect: Blast 6 [Extra: Cloud Area]; PFs: 3 Alternate Powers: Dazzle (Visual) 9, Transmit 6 [Extra: Accurate], Datalink 17 [PF: cyberspace]) [21pp]

So here's a new dilemma, that I didn't even realize I had until I started writing up the character sheet: Datalink 15 gives me a range of "Anywhere in the same solar system"; and according to the Datalink power description in Ultimate Power: "To interface with an unfamiliar computer, you must be able to accurately sense it, or you must search for it (see Extended Searches, M&M, page 53)." So the question is, does this infer that someone with Datalink has the sense (or in this case, super-sense) necessary to make that search? Or would the character need a Super-Sense to search with? And if that is the case, would I just be able to create a "Computer Sense" out of Super Senses, or try to work with one of the examples in the book? Also, what do you think constitutes "familiar"?

If you've seen it before (or even better, interfaced with it), it's familiar to you. Think of familiar like people. If you see a guy every day on the subway for a week (and notice it), then he's somewhat familiar to you. You could get the same level of familiarity or more by talking with him for a couple of minutes. It helps if you also have Eidetic Memory (for the flavor more than the actual effect). If you don't know where you are, then you might have trouble interfacing with a computer, depending on the descriptors of your Datalink.

You do not automatically have the Super-Sense needed to interface with the distant computer. However, once you've started to use Datalink, you can move any distance within your range and still continue to use the power. The Super-Sense you'd need to find unfamiliar computers is "Detect (Computers; mental); Ranged" with a number of "Extended" to taste so that you can search a great distance before the range increments kill you. "Rapid" (essentially Quickness, Limited to a particular sense type) can also help you with the large areas.

Okay, that's kind of what I thought, but the book was vague, so I needed another opinion. Luckily, I have cyberspace, so I can interface with a distant computer via the internet, by way of a different computer I'm interfacing with. So in essence, between datalink and cyberspace, I could, theoretically, access nearly any computer that was connected to a significant number of other computers. And I'm a villain. Can anyone say "Fire Sale"?