King of the Hill

Most of the citizens of Freedom City are oblivious to its existence, and most experienced heroes have only heard rumors of it. But every villain worth his salt knows about "The Arena." Years ago, the major villains in Freedom City came to an unofficial, informal truce of sorts. They decided that they needed a place where they could meet and parley that was neutral territory, a place that the heroes couldn't find and that no villain would try to claim as his own. They also needed a place where proper villains could settle their disputes the old fashioned way . . . without having to be afraid of interference by heroes or other villains. No one remembers exactly who it was who first discovered "The Arena," but for decades the derelict and abandoned oil rig just a mile or so off the coast of Freedom City has served its purpose well . . . and on this day, it was about to get some more use.

Rig.jpg

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most of the citizens of Freedom City are oblivious to its existence, and most experienced heroes have only heard rumors of it. But every villain worth his salt knows about "The Arena." Years ago, the major villains in Freedom City came to an unofficial, informal truce of sorts. They decided that they needed a place where they could meet and parley that was neutral territory, a place that the heroes couldn't find and that no villain would try to claim as his own. They also needed a place where proper villains could settle their disputes the old fashioned way . . . without having to be afraid of interference by heroes or other villains. No one remembers exactly who it was who first discovered "The Arena," but for decades the derelict and abandoned oil rig just a mile or so off the coast of Freedom City has served its purpose well . . . and on this day, it was about to get some more use.

Rig.jpg

Rig.jpg

Nanowire

Gravitic Impellers powered down as Nanowire made his grand entrance on the deck plating of "The Arena". An abandoned oil derrick wasn't exactly his idea of an ideal battle ground - far too breakable. But he had to admit, there were few places on Earth that could do better to cater to his paticular nano-enhanced combat mechaform. Raw materials abounded, and anything he had to use to construct new weaponry was near at hand. Maybe this wouldn't be so bad after all.

Nanowire leaned back against the outer wall of the control room and waited for his opponent to arrive.

Nanowire

Gravitic Impellers powered down as Nanowire made his grand entrance on the deck plating of "The Arena". An abandoned oil derrick wasn't exactly his idea of an ideal battle ground - far too breakable. But he had to admit, there were few places on Earth that could do better to cater to his paticular nano-enhanced combat mechaform. Raw materials abounded, and anything he had to use to construct new weaponry was near at hand. Maybe this wouldn't be so bad after all.

Nanowire leaned back against the outer wall of the control room and waited for his opponent to arrive.

Nanowire

A faint hum, felt more than it is heard, echoes around the derrick as Heavy touches down. A slight grayish glow clings to him still, and the deck buckles more than it should for someone of ordinary weight. Through the featureless Roman helm, Heavy almost seems to smile as he turns his head towards Nanowire.

"So, Nanowire. Glad to see you showed up. I know some folks like us who'd be afraid to come out here all alone, but neutral ground means neutral ground. This fight is for a favor - I beat you, you owe me. You beat me, I owe you," he says. At the last part, he juts up his chin, looking him over. Finally, he nods.

"Well, you want to start this little dance, or should I? Just cry uncle when you're done fighting - favor's no good if you end up dead." He doesn't say anything about what he would do. Heavy's either very confident, or trying to psych his opponent out already.

A faint hum, felt more than it is heard, echoes around the derrick as Heavy touches down. A slight grayish glow clings to him still, and the deck buckles more than it should for someone of ordinary weight. Through the featureless Roman helm, Heavy almost seems to smile as he turns his head towards Nanowire.

"So, Nanowire. Glad to see you showed up. I know some folks like us who'd be afraid to come out here all alone, but neutral ground means neutral ground. This fight is for a favor - I beat you, you owe me. You beat me, I owe you," he says. At the last part, he juts up his chin, looking him over. Finally, he nods.

"Well, you want to start this little dance, or should I? Just cry uncle when you're done fighting - favor's no good if you end up dead." He doesn't say anything about what he would do. Heavy's either very confident, or trying to psych his opponent out already.

Nanowire was unsure of whether or not his opponent was being serious. Being unfamiliar with the subtle differences of culture between here and Japan seemed to be working against him in this case, but the guy appeared to be far too confident. Perhaps this was the western equivalent of Ningshi, the stare down between two samurai right before the battle was joined. If so, then so be it. Nanowire was nothing if not adaptable.

"That's a nice Battlesuit," He commented idly as he gently pushed himself away from the wall he'd been standing against. Nanowire started a slow circuit around the helipad, neither going closer nor farther away from Heavy. "Second-gen Doosan Heavy Industries exosuit - the chestpiece gives it away. Heavily modified - if you'll excuse the pun - for upgraded durability and utility in the field of gravitic manipulation. Full capabilities unknown - presumably capable, if not exceeding, the level at which light begins to visibly refract in localized areas."

"I've been doing some research on you." Nanowire tapped his head. "It really helps when you're in the middle of a telecommunications hub no matter where on Earth you are."

He suddenly stopped, and turned to face his opponent head-on. "I, on the other hand, am in possession of the only nanofabricated bipedal assault mecha construct in the world. The surface of my suit is constructed of Biphase Carbide, a non-ferrous ballistic polymer, with just a dab of Thermal Superconductive Orbital Crystal thrown into the mix for good measure, and to ensure that it can withstand surface temperatures in excess of 20,000 degrees Celsius. With an on board dedicated NAI, I can identify and engage two hundred different targets at the same time. It is also capable of limited nanomorphic reformatting, specifically to construct new weapons from raw materials at hand. I could go on, but suffice it to say that bleeding-edge ultratech does not even begin to describe it."

"In short, you, my poor, soon-to-be-doomed friend, are ****ed."

Nanowire was unsure of whether or not his opponent was being serious. Being unfamiliar with the subtle differences of culture between here and Japan seemed to be working against him in this case, but the guy appeared to be far too confident. Perhaps this was the western equivalent of Ningshi, the stare down between two samurai right before the battle was joined. If so, then so be it. Nanowire was nothing if not adaptable.

"That's a nice Battlesuit," He commented idly as he gently pushed himself away from the wall he'd been standing against. Nanowire started a slow circuit around the helipad, neither going closer nor farther away from Heavy. "Second-gen Doosan Heavy Industries exosuit - the chestpiece gives it away. Heavily modified - if you'll excuse the pun - for upgraded durability and utility in the field of gravitic manipulation. Full capabilities unknown - presumably capable, if not exceeding, the level at which light begins to visibly refract in localized areas."

"I've been doing some research on you." Nanowire tapped his head. "It really helps when you're in the middle of a telecommunications hub no matter where on Earth you are."

He suddenly stopped, and turned to face his opponent head-on. "I, on the other hand, am in possession of the only nanofabricated bipedal assault mecha construct in the world. The surface of my suit is constructed of Biphase Carbide, a non-ferrous ballistic polymer, with just a dab of Thermal Superconductive Orbital Crystal thrown into the mix for good measure, and to ensure that it can withstand surface temperatures in excess of 20,000 degrees Celsius. With an on board dedicated NAI, I can identify and engage two hundred different targets at the same time. It is also capable of limited nanomorphic reformatting, specifically to construct new weapons from raw materials at hand. I could go on, but suffice it to say that bleeding-edge ultratech does not even begin to describe it."

Unfortunately for Nanowire, most of his speech went right over Heavy's head. The one disadvantage of intimidation by intelligence is that sometimes, the target can't figure out what he's supposed to think. One bit does stick out to him in the middle, and he chuckles at it.

"Well, you're wrong about who made this thing. It was actually m... ah, nice try," he says, suddenly starting to move forward. "Almost got me there. Let's get less talking, and more fighting." Despite his quick movement, his motion is obviously choreographed, giving Nanowire more than ample time to react.

Unfortunately for Nanowire, most of his speech went right over Heavy's head. The one disadvantage of intimidation by intelligence is that sometimes, the target can't figure out what he's supposed to think. One bit does stick out to him in the middle, and he chuckles at it.

"Well, you're wrong about who made this thing. It was actually m... ah, nice try," he says, suddenly starting to move forward. "Almost got me there. Let's get less talking, and more fighting." Despite his quick movement, his motion is obviously choreographed, giving Nanowire more than ample time to react.

If Nanowire could have quirked an eyebrow at Heavy's slip of the tounge, he would have. It sounded like he started to say "my", which would denote somebody close to him contsructed the suit. A puzzle for later, he supposed, and tucked the little bit of information away for later. "Zero error, omoi-chan," Nanowire replied with a invisible smirk.

Heavy came in like his namesake, with all the subtlety of a jackhammer. Not that Nanowire could boast much more in the way of tactical manuvering, but the rediculous amount of protection his armor enjoyed meant he really didn't need much in the way of defense. So it was that his first move was blasting in with his reactionless thrusters to close the distance as quickly as possible. Apparently, all his disparate systems were feeling their oats today, as his punch met with Heavy's face with far more force than he thought possible.

If Nanowire could have quirked an eyebrow at Heavy's slip of the tounge, he would have. It sounded like he started to say "my", which would denote somebody close to him contsructed the suit. A puzzle for later, he supposed, and tucked the little bit of information away for later. "Zero error, omoi-chan," Nanowire replied with a invisible smirk.

Heavy came in like his namesake, with all the subtlety of a jackhammer. Not that Nanowire could boast much more in the way of tactical manuvering, but the rediculous amount of protection his armor enjoyed meant he really didn't need much in the way of defense. So it was that his first move was blasting in with his reactionless thrusters to close the distance as quickly as possible. Apparently, all his disparate systems were feeling their oats today, as his punch met with Heavy's face with far more force than he thought possible.

The punch doesn't just surprise Nanowire - it also comes as something of a shocker to Heavy. For a second, it looks like the fight is nearly over before it began, but Sean rallies deep within himself and pushes through the blow, toughening his gravitic aura enough to keep the blow from even landing. He takes a step back rather than letting the guy in the mecha crowd him.

"Nice try," he says. "Glad to see that it'll be worth all the bruises when you finally lose."

He raises his hand, and the grayish energy flows from him, wrapping itself around Nanowire and dragging him into the deck of the oil derrick.

The punch doesn't just surprise Nanowire - it also comes as something of a shocker to Heavy. For a second, it looks like the fight is nearly over before it began, but Sean rallies deep within himself and pushes through the blow, toughening his gravitic aura enough to keep the blow from even landing. He takes a step back rather than letting the guy in the mecha crowd him.

"Nice try," he says. "Glad to see that it'll be worth all the bruises when you finally lose."

He raises his hand, and the grayish energy flows from him, wrapping itself around Nanowire and dragging him into the deck of the oil derrick.

Nanowire

After Heavy shrugged off what Nanowire had previously thought was more than enough to lay him out in one blow, he had to reclassify what he thought was his opponent's previous overconfidence. The guy had some serious chops, that was for sure. That greyish aura thing looked none too friendly either. Thinking Heavy was charging up some sort of attack, Nanowire struck back with his own.

"Hope you're not counting on that victory coming anytime soon, omoi-chan," Nanowire snorted as he nailed Heavy with another blow, this one slightly less damaging than the first.

Nanowire

After Heavy shrugged off what Nanowire had previously thought was more than enough to lay him out in one blow, he had to reclassify what he thought was his opponent's previous overconfidence. The guy had some serious chops, that was for sure. That greyish aura thing looked none too friendly either. Thinking Heavy was charging up some sort of attack, Nanowire struck back with his own.

"Hope you're not counting on that victory coming anytime soon, omoi-chan," Nanowire snorted as he nailed Heavy with another blow, this one slightly less damaging than the first.

Nanowire

"The gravity didn't hold him. Either that mecha's really good, or... no, that mecha's got to be really good," Heavy thinks as his usual opening gambit doesn't seem to do a thing. What's more, the kid keeps slugging away at him.

This time, though, Heavy's ready for the strike. Though he still gets hit, he manages to move a non-vital part of the suit to take the brunt of the blow. "Time to see how tough it is," he thinks. All banter has fallen to the side as he tries to figure out what this guy's weakness is. At least he knows to not try to grapple the guy. Anybody who can stand his gravitic onslaught is far too strong to casually grab a hold of. A regular punch, though...

Moving to Nanowire's side, and hopefully out of his main sensor bank, Heavy throws a powerful punch at the mecha.