[IC] Hot Off the Presses

olopi

Dancia could be called many things but stupid wasn't, normally, one of them. She could tell that the woman wasn't going to be any help in the slightest, and she figured out exactly what Bonfire must be doing. The first she found annoying as normally the second would, but right now she was frustrated at the woman's constant stonewalling. There would be a discussion about his methods at some point, but the important issue right now was trying to solve the mystery.

"Well thank you for your help, here's my card of you can be of any future help." she was pretty sure the card would be trashed and this all forgotten, but she had to play this by the book, for now.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

GM

“I sincerely hope I’ll never need it. “

With that, the door closed. A second or so later she spoke again, Dancia still hearing her through the door. “Bobby. What did we say about opening the windows? Don’t open them!” Whatever came next was mumbled under her breath, not loud enough for Dancia to make out the details.

After a few seconds, Bonfire rejoined her, appearing out of thin air.  He didn’t really show any emotion courtesy of his head, but just pointed towards the elevator. Once the two had gone there, he then spoke up, not sounding too happy.

“Well, that was a bust. I expected you to distract her a bit longer, had to take a chance and throw the keys. They’ll be somewhere on the street, so let’s head down there before anybody else sees them. …And god help us if she notices they’re missing. They’re hidden away, but … let’s act fast. “

And with that, the elevator arrived, and opened to a nice *ding*, Bonfire stepping into it immediately.

Dancia could have plucked the key off the ground before Bonfire had even noticed she'd gone, but for now, she was playing mild-mannered reporter so she quickly slipped into the lift beside him.

"Well maybe if you'd let me in on the plan I'd of kept her talking for longer, you could have whispered I have excellent hearing"

Without looking at him, she continued her arms in front of her the very image of innocent composure.

"We're so skirting the line and I'm not 100% happy with this, but someone is missing or worse. And that woman really wound me up!" she gave a brief frown at this, before returning to her composed look

"But we just look around and touch nothing. And you promise me you'll return the keys as soon as we're done."

PC

“I will note your superior hearing for the next time we do something like this, then. “

“Yeah, I get what you mean. Now imagine instead of simply insisting on not helping you, they either run away in horror, try to call the police-slash-AEGIS, or grab a fire-extinguisher and come after you. After the third or so time I simply gave up on trying this stuff. That’s the police’s job. “

“Now, let’s go and see. Key should be somewhere on the pavement. As for bringing it back … I’m not sure how we’ll accomplish that. I can’t really carry things around with me unless I walk in like this. And I doubt you’ll get her to even open the door….”

Searching for the key, fortunately enough, was not a big issue. Nobody had walked down the pavement, so it was just lying there on the curb. Bonfire grabbed it, and returned back into the house, where he then unlocked the door leading to the apartment.

Unsurprisingly, it was the same as when Dancia had checked before. “Okay. Time to see what we can find! No idea what we’re looking for, but who knows. “

"Personally I find the worse is that look of distaste in their eyes even when they're all smiles. Plus having to do everything metaphorically Backwards and in Heels as well. Luckily for us both Freedom City is a pretty enlightened place as far as these things go." she sighed and then was all business again "I can handle giving back the keys if you want, can always have someone pop them back and say that they'd found them."

She stood silently on watch as he recovered the keys and followed him up to the empty room, one that she already knew fairly well from the earlier scan.

"I'm going to check for any relevant mail, do you want to see if he had a computer or cell?"

GM

“On it. I’ll have to see what I can access without actually getting access one way or another, let’s hope he didn’t sign out properly. “

He walked towards a door into what appeared to be the bedroom, probably expecting to find a computer there. As soon as he’d turned around the corner, Dancia could hear a somewhat quiet scream of pain. Almost definitely coming from her current ally.

“Aaagh.”

Dancia had begun to look through the place, going through the motion of a normal regular search, even though she'd could have search the entire place in seconds. It was sometimes quite relaxing to do things slowly like this rather than rush things around, and a few seconds wouldn't make that much of a difference in the long run.

All that was forgotten when she heard Bonfire's cries, she'd worry about revealing anything about her secret identity once she knew that he was safe. As quickly and safely as she could she zipped into the room to see what was causing all the trouble.

GM

As soon as Dancia entered the room, she could see Bonfire, on his knees, clutching his head with both hands. His actual, fully human head, with deep-red hair. He was still screaming, but it was more quiet now. There didn’t seem to be anybody else in the room. Dancia’s senses didn’t reveal anything.

But as she looked towards the desk, something happened. A stinging pain, at the side of her skull. Inside, like a bad headache. And at the same time, everything began spinning around her. She could still stand upright, but it was nauseating. Her arms felt … weird, and when she blinked, everything was black just a moment longer than usually.

“The … desk….”

Was all Bonfire managed to say, while slowly moving backwards, trying to get out of the room.

From Bonfire points of view, there was a sudden gust of the wind and the two of them were suddenly on the roof of the building. With the worried face of Dancia looking down at him.

"You probably have lots of questions right now, and you deserve answers. But first take a moment to make sure your alright. I'm not sure what happened but it looks like we might have found something interesting."

As Dancia took a few deep breaths to overcome the nausea she felt she'd didn't for one moment regret the decision to act now, fancy clever moves would always take a backseat when people were in trouble.

PC

What had just happened? Just what  was going on. Cass had no real clue, everything had gone so fast. He just realized he no longer had his disguise up, and immediately brought it back up, his head essentially exploding in a cloud of smoke. He took a moment to just breathe, then turned around to address Dancia.

Dancia, who had revealed some more of her power. So … speed?

“Phew. Good thing my head wasn’t smoke, you’d’’ve probably decapitated me otherwise. “

“…just, WHAT happened? I walked into the room, turned over to the desk, and next thing I knew everything hurt. Like, I’m talking jackhammer to the brain levels of hurt. No idea … but yeah, probably something to look at closer. “

“Now, I assume this is just the top of the same building? Should be easy enough getting back down, then. “

"You were saying about something on the desk that was causing all the nausea and pain, I thought it best that that we leave first and work it all out later. Which is why we're on the roof more or less right above where we were a minute ago."

Feeling much better she stood up straight and whipped off the glasses she normally wore, the effect was almost magical in that she looked like a completely different person, and a fairly well know one at that.

"I have a trick that means I can look without us having to go straight back down into the room, then we'll go for the explanations."  

Dancia then looked intensely at the roof as if she was trying to look straight through it into the room, which was more or less what she was doing.

GM

It took a bit to adjust to the vision. Dancia had to first get it right, to not look through too many floors, or through too few. And then, she still had to find the right room. Which she managed, after a few seconds of searching. Fortunately, the guy’s apartment stood out enough. She moved her head ever so slightly, peaking into the room from before.

And immediately was struck by the nausea again. She’d managed to get a quick glance of the desk that seemed to cause it all. It wasn’t orderly, various sheets of paper scattered on it. In the middle, what appeared to be a very classical newspaper, one you’d see in movies. That was about all she’d managed, before the nausea got too bad, and she had to look away again.

Bonfire had turned away from her, letting her do her thing without interrupting. He was looking out, towards the city, probably just waiting.

Dancia shook her head to again try and recover from the feeling of nausea.

"Well apparently the effect is ocular in nature, effects anything looking at it, and it apparently appears to be an old newspaper of some kind. Though I can't be 100% sure, what with not being able to see things without wanting to show you my lunch!"

She went to stand beside Bonfire and enjoy the sight of the city, though she was sure she heard much more of the sight and sound of the city.

"So which do you want to do first? Do you want to try and recover the artefact or do you want to know my story first?”

PC

Once Dancia was done and had joined Bonfire at looking out towards the city, heroically, he turned back to face her. He’d seemingly recovered just fine, his head having grown to the size it usually was at once more.

He didn’t reply immediately, instead waiting just a bit before replying, his tone telling of uncertainty.

“Whichever one you’d prefer. I get the feeling we don’t have forever, so maybe it’s not the best time for a long story, but I’m never one to turn those down. Thinking about how we’ll get … whatever that thing is, and … well, can’t think of anything particularly smart. Any ideas from your side that go beyond “blindfold and just try it” ? “

• 3 weeks later...

“I come from an Earth where the Roman Empire never feel, before the coming of the forces of the Terminus. Of my Legion I was picked to travel to another world and get help, though thanks to a miscalculation I arrive long after my world had fallen. In honour of those I fought beside I use the number of my Legion, Triakosia.”

She paused for a few moment to allow the information to sink in, truth be told the newly recovered memories of her past were still a raw wound to her even now.

“As for the object the main thing is that it seems to work on the optical nerves, we should be okay if you can’t see the object. We might be able to use a camera or I can guide you from here in short burst. We need something to keep it in once we have it though.”

• 2 weeks later...

PC

Triakosia, then. He’d heard of her before, he did his best to stay on top of all the different stories that happened. He didn’t always manage it, but it certainly meant he was a bit outclassed right now. Both in terms of experience and ability. But there was no real time to dwell on that, what was currently happening was more important.

“Pleasure to meet you, Triakosia. Now, let’s see how we do this….”

“I don’t really have a camera on me. I guess we could use my phone, but I’m not sure how we’d best pull that off. Unless you’ve got one? You’re probably better equipped than I am. Guiding me could work, just don’t overdo it, no need to end up with a migraine. I get the feeling there’s still a lot to come after this. “

• 2 weeks later...

From her purse, Dancia pulled out a lower end cell phone in a protective case of yellow and blue that suggested her's or more probably Centurions color scheme.

"I always carry around a cheap burner phone for my superhero activities, obviously with all the tracing stuff turned well off."

As she talked she began to play around the cell activating the stuff that they'd need for this plan

"I don't even have my own call details linked between the two just in case, I mean how tacky would it be for me to be my own source!"

She handed the cell to Bonfire before taking out a larger fancier phone, the case showing a photo of a rather grumpy looking yellow cat, to hook the two cells together.

• 2 weeks later...

GM

“Let’s get this started then. Also, good on you with that one. Even if you’d probably be justified to use yourself in those cases. But I wouldn’t know, never took any journo ethics. “

He shrugged and took the phone for a first spin. There was some minor delay, but it was barely noticeable. And the quality was alright too. “Alright, that works. Let’s go, then. “ Bonfire left the roof by slipping through the access door and invisibly descending the stairs, until the camera showed a feed again about a minute later, showing the inside of the apartment again.

Bonfire manoeuvred to the door, then put the phone down for a second, before bringing it back up. “Okay, blindfolded now. Your turn. Just tell me if it gets too much. “

Directing him was pretty easy, and through the camera feed the effect was also a lot smaller. There was still some, Dancia still felt a minor headache come on, but it was just that. As Bonfire approached, she got a better view at what it was. And the clearer the image got, the more she could feel it attacking her.

It was an old-timey looking newspaper. A place written on it, by the Waterfront. Bonfire pocketed the newspaper, a full on thing the size of a proper daily, and then returned back upstairs.

“So, what now? “

Dancia put her hand up for a moment as she cleared her head from the headache the newspaper induced, then she took a few moments to carefully cut her cell phone off from the outside world once again.

"See if you can look at the paper now that we have it out of the room?" considering the effect it had from just viewing it no video a screenshot wasn't going to make this any easier to view

"If not we at least have a clue to where to look next, the paper mentions the waterfront and I assume it probably has some connection to what you've been looking into."

• 4 weeks later...

PC

Bonfire held the phone up, and slowly brought up the paper into his field of view, only the lowermost part of it being visible on the screen, not enough to cause anything. Then, everything shook, and the newspaper dropped onto the ground. A short grunt of pain, before the hero replied.

“That’s a nope. Have an idea though, let me just come up real quick. “

He appeared at the door leading on the roof, and walked over to Triakosia, holding the paper behind his back, the blindfold and the phone in his other hand. “You mentioned the waterfront? That’s definitely a lead, yeah. Narrows it down far enough that I could ask around…”

• 3 weeks later...

Dancia stood there for a few second considering her options. She'd not really pushed her powers since they'd come back after the incident. Meeting an evil clone of yourself really made you think about who you were, and she'd learned some much about who she was over the last few years. And she'd decided that she was Dancia, who contained quite a few multitudes.

"Hang on a second let me take a look."

There was a rush of air and Dancia was gone from Bonfires side, only for her to return just a few minutes later like she'd never been away.

"I think I've found something interesting. Do you fly?"

PC

“Yeah, but it might take a bit for me to catch up.”

Everybody was so fast. Meanwhile here he was, even when burning he couldn’t match that pace in any way. It probably was fastest for him to take the bus, even. Which was a sad state of affairs, but that happened occasionally. And hey, the bus wasn’t that bad. Compared to some other places he’d seen, at least.

He clicked around something on his phone. “Should be down there in about …20 minutes. Meet you there, I suppose.”

30 minutes later

There had been a minor issue on the bus (as was usual, really), but Bonfire finally arrived at the place. It was a series of warehouses, like they existed in so many places. Triakosia had found something that looked right in one of them, a basement that seemed to have been custom-built, something that didn’t really belong into an otherwise almost empty warehouse, with only a few containers in it. And there, the two heroes  met again.

Dancia waited with some patience she'd wanted to help, but she understood that sometimes people just needed to do things for themselves. Still, she was itching to solve this mystery and find out how this all fitted together, but her time spent in the wilderness had help reinforce patience when needed.

She gave Bonfire a few minutes to get his bearing of this locale before revealing what she'd discovered.

"Look's like there's a hidden basement in that warehouse over there. Shall we go take a look see?"

GM

“Sure, that sounds like what we’re here for, after all. “

It wasn’t a large distance, and soon the two stood at the warehouse. All the doors were closed, which, to be fair, wasn’t really an issue for either of the two. But instead of resorting to easily traceable property damage, Bonfire decided to simply slip inside and unlock one of the side entrance doors.

The warehouse’s inside was pretty dark, most of the lights didn’t look like they’d work. Not that any of them were turned on right now. Still, it was just about bright enough to navigate, and that was good enough.

The entrance to the basement was hidden behind a fake wall, which led directly onto a short stairwell, and from there, towards a huge and, almost comically looking vault door, the sort of thing one saw in banks, and various tv shows.

“I think this one’s yours. “

• 2 weeks later...

Whilst Dancia had been recovering she'd often wondered if she would miss her powers if they did return, and more often than not she'd convinced herself that she was okay without them. But really Dancia had to admit that she'd missed time like this when she really got to let loose with everything she had without a chance of harming anyone.

"Are you ready for this? Because this is not going to be quiet or subtle" she looked over at the other hero and gave a little smile 

"Not that it won't be fun after the kind of day we've been having."

After a mutual nod of agreement, she stepped forward to let loose and sort out the vault door in front of them.