Mimic the Blood

Avalon

I know the refs like to review variable arrays on a case-by-case basis, so I think this is the best place for something like this.

I was thinking of having Stygwyr expand more on his blood powers by mimicking the biological/magical powers and abilities of those who he has injured.

What in mind was something like this:

Mimic # (All traits at once, Extra Subject [+1], Stacking [+1], Channeled by Blood [-1], Biological or Magical powers only [-1], Only from target that Stygwyr has injured [-1], Tainted [-1], Limited: Only organic creatures with blood [-1 pp])

Would that be ok?

Wouldn't "Channeled by Blood," "Only from target that Stygwyr has injured," and "Limited: Only organic creatures with blood" all be pretty much the same thing?

Well, they are slightly different, although I seriously doubt all three would be worth -3 points per rank...

"Channeled by Blood", I assume, is basically Source [subject's Blood] (in which case he would need the blood to maintain it) - if he doesn't need the blood, this should probably be removed.

"Only from target that Stygwyr has injured", would mean that he himself has to deal an injury wound. Not horribly difficult, but there is a related flaw (under the Acid power - Acid Blood gives what appears to be a -3 flaw if you have to be injured to use the power). It probably depends how much lethal damage the character can do as to the level of the flaw.

"Limited [Organic creatures with blood]", is much simpler, it only allows the subject to be an organic creature that has blood.

All together would combine to be (I'm guessing), that Stygwyr must injure an organic creature with blood and have access to said blood in order to mimic that creature.

If so, the following would be immune: Organic creatures with no blood, Inorganic creatures with no blood, Inorganic creatures with blood, Creatures immune to lethal damage, anyone able to take their blood away from him. In addition, any injuries no caused by him would be unable to be affected.

I could see it being a -2 flaw, maybe even a little more, but I'm not sure on -3... (not that my opinion on costs of powers matters a great deal :) )

A side note though, is that even if it's a legal power, if you want to have the power accepted, this will probably have to be a very low-ranked power. As I'm sure you'll notice, this would give you 5 points of powers for each 2 points you pay (10 if extra subject gives the full pool).

As a low (to very low) ranked power mostly for flavor purposes, it probably won't be a big problem. When it gets to higher ranks, though, you'll be gaining abilities much faster than will be balanced (even with the limits on the source).

The Limited: Only Organic creatures with blood was something I copied from Jack of Tales Blood Control. I noted that the limit was worth only 1 pp and thus only a drawback and not a full blown flaw.

The way I envisioned it, Stygwyr would first have to cause an injury to an enemy and a portion of his enemy's blood and use it to emulate his enemy's powers (e.g. biological super-speed, the ability to fire bio-electric blasts, magically-toughened skin, etc.)

Btw, since the limit was a drawback, the mimic would come out as 3 pp/rank

The Limited: Only Organic creatures with blood was something I copied from Jack of Tales Blood Control. I noted that the limit was worth only 1 pp and thus only a drawback and not a full blown flaw.

The way I envisioned it, Stygwyr would first have to cause an injury to an enemy and a portion of his enemy's blood and use it to emulate his enemy's powers (e.g. biological super-speed, the ability to fire bio-electric blasts, magically-toughened skin, etc.)

Btw, since the limit was a drawback, the mimic would come out as 3 pp/rank

Okay, I'm seeing that now. I got a little confused, there. So it would be more 3ppr-1.

The cost sounds about right for the limits to the base power to me (although the cost to effect, I'm not sure on). Then again, as I said before, my opinion's not the one that matters.

A couple thoughts, even though they may not matter

Can he keep the blood stored? (In other words, could he 'prepare' vials of power by injuring people that are willing or unable to resist - even better with regenerators - then triggering his power at a later time)

If so, how long? Related question, could he store it internally? (I've had thoughts on a hero with this as his main power...)

Thinking on it though, you could probably go with the 4 ppr level - you're limiting it to biological or magical powers - that would easily fall under "all of a target's powers at once". Maybe with a drawback that it can only work on powers carried in the blood (or just a descriptor note).

I'd probably base the flaw on the Channelling flaw - if you have to injure near the time you use the power, I'd say -1 flaw; if you can store it, but externally only, I'd say +0 (the ability to have multiple subjects' blood on you is outweighing the need to injure the subject); if you can store it internally, I'd say +1 extra. (as the previous, but you can't really lose what's storing the blood)

So, I'd go with...

Mimic # [All powers at once; Extras: Extra Subject I (+1), Stacking (+1); Flaw: Limited (Only subjects injured by Stygwyr, -1), Tainted (-1); Drawback: Organic Subjects only (-1pp)] (4ppr - 1)

With Source (Blood), it would be 3ppr-1, 4ppr-1 or 5ppr-1. Then again, if you can do this with just the subjects blood, the Residual Extra (+1) could be needed... (with the Source (Blood) covering the fact you can't get it from other things that would have residual effects of the power)

Just some thoughts that if this were in person would be called "thinking out loud".